Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

pokeyman posted:

It's not my thread, but for what it's worth, the current title drew me in to watching The Genius and it became one of my favorite shows of all time. A more general thread title would not have drawn me in.

This is where I'm at too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

pokeyman posted:

It's not my thread, but for what it's worth, the current title drew me in to watching The Genius and it became one of my favorite shows of all time. A more general thread title would not have drawn me in.

Honestly, probably the same for me too.

Just seems weird to have a thread title that doesn't relate to what we're talking about in here 95% of the time now.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

WhiteHowler posted:

Honestly, probably the same for me too.

Just seems weird to have a thread title that doesn't relate to what we're talking about in here 95% of the time now.

I'll loving talk about The Genius whenever you want.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm still really bummed out they never managed to adapt it for a western market. The Genius is much more mainstream than I'd expect for a cerebral Korean celebrity game show i found on something awful dot com.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
A lot of the quality of the genius comes from the games, the cast and the editing but yeah I really wish a western adaptation would've come to fruition. Even a version with streamers rather than mainstream celebrities would've been really promising.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I can’t tell you how many people I’ve recommended The Genius to who just couldn’t get over the combination of it being in Korean and so cerebral. Nobody has been able to finish more than a few episodes. Even dubbed (ugh) it might have gained more fans.

edit: there’s also a solid chance I just have dumb friends and family with cultural blinders.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 24, 2021

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fly Ricky posted:

I can’t tell you how many people I’ve recommended The Genius to who just couldn’t get over the combination of it being in Korean and so cerebral. Nobody has been able to finish more than a few episodes. Even dubbed (ugh) it might have gained more fans.

edit: there’s also a solid chance I just have dumb friends and family with cultural blinders.

I'm part of a large-ish community of hardcore boardgamers, and I know a ton of people who would absolutely love The Genius. I've described it without saying where it's from, and everyone says it sounds awesome and they'd love to watch it.

But as soon as they see it's a foreign show, and especially that it's subtitled, they give up on the idea.

Like, I get it, sometimes you want background TV that you can just put on while you're doing other things. But this show isn't that, and you're going to need to pay attention regardless of the language.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm part of a large-ish community of hardcore boardgamers, and I know a ton of people who would absolutely love The Genius. I've described it without saying where it's from, and everyone says it sounds awesome and they'd love to watch it.

But as soon as they see it's a foreign show, and especially that it's subtitled, they give up on the idea.

Like, I get it, sometimes you want background TV that you can just put on while you're doing other things. But this show isn't that, and you're going to need to pay attention regardless of the language.

Funny that you mention board gamers. I recommended the show to Quinns from Shut Up and Sit Down and he watched it and recommended it to his community.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Baechu Squad's subtitles for Episode 8 of Girls' High Mystery Class are available.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

WhiteHowler posted:

That's really it. Coming from just regular TV, watching The Genius is mentally taxing. And it's almost impossible to convey that not only is that a big part of the appeal, it pays off in storylines so deep they rival the best scripted dramas.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I met the band idiotape at a sxsw showcase in 2014 once and told them I loved their music cuz I watched the genius and they freaked out because a westerner knew what the genius was lol. They owned

Man I need to do a full show rewatch

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > The Genius - We're Still Talking About It

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Baechu Squad's subtitles for Episode 9 of Girls' High Mystery Class are available.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Baechu Squad's subtitles for Episode 9 of Girls' High Mystery Class are available.

Thanks! Do we know how many episodes the first season will run?

I'm about to start a weekly watch party with my friend across the country.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

WhiteHowler posted:

Thanks! Do we know how many episodes the first season will run?

I'm about to start a weekly watch party with my friend across the country.

Dunno, but this page suggests 16 (not counting episode 0).

I've been watching them with a bunch of people over zoom. It doesn't play as well as Great Escape, but it's nice to do something with people.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Initially, it's hard to get past the weird draw-overs and crazy instant replays and forced "romance" storylines with sad music if you're not used to it. I got invested because I love the format of how they present the games and players, premise and execution of everything involving the rules, rooms and characters, and the meta-games and alliances.

It doesn't help that they start with what might be the weakest death match in the show two weeks in a row.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
For those wondering about a western genius-style show, someone is trying to recruit for one now.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Baechu Squad's subtitles for Episode 10 of Girls' High Mystery Class are available.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Anaconda Rifle posted:

For those wondering about a western genius-style show, someone is trying to recruit for one now.

I hope this turns out even halfway decent, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I think at this point there was just something magic about the people creating the show, the various casts, and how the overall Korean culture melded together that makes recreating the Genius or doing shows in that vein pretty much impossible. Just the show not being able to use whatever music from whatever movie they damned well wanted would kill a lot of the vibe for me.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Does anyone have any theories on what's going on at the school in Girl's Mystery Club?

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

TV Zombie posted:

Does anyone have any theories on what's going on at the school in Girl's Mystery Club?

The answer is clearly zombies.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I watched The Genius 1 over the last 2 weeks thanks to this thread and really enjoyed it. There was only a couple of things I didn't like but most of it completely drew me in.

Please someone let me know if I should go through with this Sunggyu full back tattoo right now (as that would be ridiculous) or wait for the worldwide pandemic to be over?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

TV Zombie posted:

The pill was developed and first tested on the students decades ago and ended up killing everyone. They covered it up by setting off that explosion that killed all the students, so their deaths could be explained as a tragic accident. Would explain those flashbacks of someone placing unconscious girls in their classroom seats.

Regarding the mystery related to that one student, I think she called the bully to meet her because they used to be friends. I think she gave some key piece of evidence to the bully to hold onto before she was killed. The bully is now on the run because the same people are now after her.

Regarding what's behind the locked room in the cafeteria, No loving clue.

qbert fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 6, 2021

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It seems like Eps 11 and 12 for Girls' High Mystery Club haven't been posted yet by the subbing group, but a friendly reminder that you can watch the eps already with English subs via the streaming site I had posted earlier.

Here's the reddit thread.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

qbert posted:

The pill was developed and first tested on the students decades ago and ended up killing everyone. They covered it up by setting off that explosion that killed all the students, so their deaths could be explained as a tragic accident. Would explain those flashbacks of someone placing unconscious girls in their classroom seats.

Now I'm curious about who is behind wanting to expose all of this, if this was true.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

qbert posted:

It seems like Eps 11 and 12 for Girls' High Mystery Club haven't been posted yet by the subbing group, but a friendly reminder that you can watch the eps already with English subs via the streaming site I had posted earlier.

Here's the reddit thread.

Thanks! Does the streaming site do English overlays over physical Korean text (like phones)?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Thanks! Does the streaming site do English overlays over physical Korean text (like phones)?

It appears to work like YouTube closed captioning, where all the subtitles are at the bottom. Translations of the on-screen text are in parentheses.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Baechu Squad's subtitles for Episode 11 of Girls' High Mystery Class are available.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Baechu Squad's subtitles for Episode 12 of Girls' High Mystery Class are available.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Baechu Squad's subtitles for Episode 12 of Girls' High Mystery Class are available.

I'm up to episode 2 on a weekly watch-through with a friend across the country.

The temptation to secretly binge it is nearly overwhelming.

Edit: Don't post early in the morning.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 13, 2021

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm up to season 2 on a weekly watch-through with a friend across the country.

The temptation to secretly binge it is nearly overwhelming.

Season 2 of what?

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

I recommended The Genius to my friendship group (consisting of gamers/boardgamers), I think at around the release of season 3. None of them tried it.

Then like a year or two later, a couple of them came across it independently and loved it. Soon after everyone had watched it and liked it.

I will never not be mad about this. Moral of the story : never try. :negative:

Alternative moral : I suck at recommending things.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Elite posted:

I recommended The Genius to my friendship group (consisting of gamers/boardgamers), I think at around the release of season 3. None of them tried it.

Then like a year or two later, a couple of them came across it independently and loved it. Soon after everyone had watched it and liked it.

I will never not be mad about this. Moral of the story : never try. :negative:

Alternative moral : I suck at recommending things.

You're still doing good work. Sometimes it takes a few mentions for someone to finally dive in, and if you hadn't set the stage then maybe they're still waiting for another.

Or they could be like me, completely forgetting my wife's book recommendation (she's a librarian) until some goon recommends it in some thread. So I put it on hold at the library and my unimpressed wife says "I told you about this book months ago and we have a copy on the shelf, so I'ma cancel this hold". She has not learned the moral "never try" and neither should you :) but you can absolutely lord it over your friends.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Before lockdown, I had a bunch of people over to watch the first two episodes of Great Escape. We finished all three seasons over zoom and are currently watching Girls' High Mystery Class. Once this season ends, I think we'll do Society Game. Even though I like it the least, I think it'll play best remotely for this group.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Season 2 of what?

Oops, episode 2. Of Girls High Mystery Class.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

WhiteHowler posted:

Oops, episode 2. Of Girls High Mystery Class.

I thought the end of Season 1 hasn't been released yet and season 2 hasn't been made yet.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Anaconda Rifle posted:

I thought the end of Season 1 hasn't been released yet and season 2 hasn't been made yet.

Yes, that's correct.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Has anyone watched Busted on Netflix? Is it any good?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Has anyone watched Busted on Netflix? Is it any good?

It feels scripted to an extent though the interplay/chemistry between the cast is good. It's good but if you are watching because you like puzzles, the puzzles aren't so difficult and there are variety like games interspersed through the seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Looking up “Busted” led me to “Men on a Mission” featuring Sangmin!:woop: