Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RC Cola posted:

"You cannot have my pain!" Is up there with the Tower scene and the WWE pro wrestling scene in Words of Radiance.

For me it's -

The Tower / Dalinar selling one priceless sword for one thousand priceless lives

MY. SACRIFICE.

Adolin's 1v4

You cannot take my pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

External Organs posted:

I feel like Warbreaker has way better pacing than Elantris, but Lightsong is also one of my favorites because I couldn't stop hearing him in my head as Zapp Brannigan.

Lightsong immediately switched from annoying AF to one of my all-time favorites the instant I realized his constant terrible jokes are bad on purpose. You gotta respect someone who has deliberately set themselves up as the God of Dad Jokes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mordiceius posted:

Next up for me is The Emperor's Soul. After that, should I go to Warbreaker or Mistborn Era 2? I was thinking the former.

Mistborn Era 2. Warbreaker is fine to read before/during the first or 2nd Stormlight book but Era 2 is real good and worth getting to.

RC Cola posted:

"You cannot have my pain!" Is up there with the Tower scene and the WWE pro wrestling scene in Words of Radiance.

That scene is great and the build up to it was handled really well. The third one in that list is really hard to beat and the first time reading it I could hear Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler giving a play by play and screaming "MY GOD THAT'S KALADIN'S MUSIC" when he jumps in. That said, all those lose to (late ROW spoiler)Kaladin being Connected with Tien in Rhythm of War, learning the truth of what happened (including the Amaram actually did keep his word to keep Tien out of the fighting), and the closure needed for the last push to saying the Fourth Ideal.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think in terms of fights, once Kalidan goes super sayain 3 in RoW on the Persuer and just straight embarrasses it is rad. I also think that in terms of just a straight on fight scene, Adolin going toe to toe with a bunch of folks in Shadsmere, willing to straight lay it down and being cold and brutal about it was hella good. I mean, it can't be said that Sanderson can't set up a scene. RoW was a bit too long, but it had some great moments. The Tower is still my all time top moment, but dude has gotten so much better at action scenes in general.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 27, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KKKLIP ART posted:

[spoiler][/url]

missed a spoiler tag there although frankly i think no one would be surprised to learn that Adolin is willing to throw down

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Next up for me is The Emperor's Soul. After that, should I go to Warbreaker or Mistborn Era 2? I was thinking the former.

Mistborn Era 2 has the same audiobook reader as Era 1 so you will enjoy that more, Warbreaker has a different one that is not great. Warbreaker also has the most tie ins with Stormlight(although they are still minor) so it might be best to do that before Stormlight.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I'm late into Oathbreaker, and it's kind of lagging for me. I am really, really tired of world-building this late in the game.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mistborn Era 2. Warbreaker is fine to read before/during the first or 2nd Stormlight book but Era 2 is real good and worth getting to.

That scene is great and the build up to it was handled really well. The third one in that list is really hard to beat and the first time reading it I could hear Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler giving a play by play and screaming "MY GOD THAT'S KALADIN'S MUSIC" when he jumps in. That said, all those lose to (late ROW spoiler)Kaladin being Connected with Tien in Rhythm of War, learning the truth of what happened (including the Amaram actually did keep his word to keep Tien out of the fighting), and the closure needed for the last push to saying the Fourth Ideal.

Yeah that last RoW thing you posted is my highlight of book 4. I sobbed like a baby from chapter 108 some filler. just open weeping onto my book. Chapters 110-115 were also really good

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Evil Fluffy posted:

That said, all those lose to (late ROW spoiler)Kaladin being Connected with Tien in Rhythm of War, learning the truth of what happened (including the Amaram actually did keep his word to keep Tien out of the fighting), and the closure needed for the last push to saying the Fourth Ideal.

My favorite part is the set-up for that in Oathbreaker, where Kaladin is thematically set up to speak the words and save the day, knows them in his heart, and can't do it. The rest of the climax is top notch, but I FELT that moment viscerally.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think in terms of fights, once Kalidan goes super sayain 3 in RoW on the Persuer and just straight embarrasses it is rad. I also think that in terms of just a straight on fight scene, Adolin going toe to toe with a bunch of folks in Shadsmere, willing to straight lay it down and being cold and brutal about it was hella good. I mean, it can't be said that Sanderson can't set up a scene. RoW was a bit too long, but it had some great moments. The Tower is still my all time top moment, but dude has gotten so much better at action scenes in general.

He is great at cinematic individual battle sequences in an anime/movie sort of way - the fights have personal stakes, they're kinetic and exciting, and there's just enough description to keep it interesting without getting bogged down.

One thing he can't do is portray the chaos and fear and fog of war that comes from pitched battles like Robert Jordan could. He really captured that feeling of "oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress oh wait I'm alive? Hahahaha oh god what just happened" that I imagine real battles must be like, given his experience as a Vietnam soldier and ptsd from it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

That said, all those lose to (late ROW spoiler)Kaladin being Connected with Tien in Rhythm of War, learning the truth of what happened (including the Amaram actually did keep his word to keep Tien out of the fighting), and the closure needed for the last push to saying the Fourth Ideal.

I loved that scene, especially when you learn what shardplate actually is, and then learn that you can COMMAND the plate to act. Literal jaw dropping on my end.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 28, 2021

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

He is great at cinematic individual battle sequences in an anime/movie sort of way - the fights have personal stakes, they're kinetic and exciting, and there's just enough description to keep it interesting without getting bogged down.

One thing he can't do is portray the chaos and fear and fog of war that comes from pitched battles like Robert Jordan could. He really captured that feeling of "oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress oh wait I'm alive? Hahahaha oh god what just happened" that I imagine real battles must be like, given his experience as a Vietnam soldier and ptsd from it.

yeah i read joe abercrombies “first law” books for the realistic and traumatic look at medieval warfare. the last witcher book also has a really good battle sequence in that vein

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

TheMadMilkman posted:

I loved that scene, especially when you learn what shardplate actually is, and then learn that you can COMMAND the plate to act. Literal jaw dropping on my end.

Yeah, that was a kickass revelation. The plate just running over and saving a kids life, then someone else, then coming back was a really cool way to show that living Shardplate is so, so much better than we could have imagined.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

seaborgium posted:

Yeah, that was a kickass revelation. The plate just running over and saving a kids life, then someone else, then coming back was a really cool way to show that living Shardplate is so, so much better than we could have imagined.

Like, it is clear that "regular" plate is badass and helpful to a warrior, but the alternative is just rad as hell.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

im really excited to see how each order's plate probably has their own special ability (and that crazy mobility is windspren's)

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

KKKLIP ART posted:

Like, it is clear that "regular" plate is badass and helpful to a warrior, but the alternative is just rad as hell.

Yeah, of course regular plate is extremely badass. But it kind of pales in comparison. That's why it was so cool.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Slowly starting my first re-read, I look forward to this chapter because boy did I miss some things :thunk:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I just finished ROW, and holy hell the majority of that book was super bleak but the payoff was absolutely worth it, basically every major character's arc got finished though.

I guess the next book is gonna mostly be about the next ten days? I wonder if it's gonna focus less on Kaladin and Shallan since they've pretty much finished their arcs. Less of them and Navani, more of Dalinar and Jasnah? Probably Adolin and Maya too. I feel like the narrative is kind of in a weird place since some characters have a lot of development left and some don't.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

eke out posted:

im really excited to see how each order's plate probably has their own special ability (and that crazy mobility is windspren's)

this seems extremely likely to me, it fits in with the windrunner fixation on protection allowing them to put their Plate on other people too

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Slowly starting my first re-read, I look forward to this chapter because boy did I miss some things :thunk:

Pages 1165-1166, if you want to peek.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I really like how people in this series get superpowers by literally yelling their character growth out loud

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

eke out posted:

Or if we'll see Adolin reawaken the bond with a suit of shardplate because to hell with everyone else. Hell, give me a 1000 page book that is nothing but character progression for Adolin. His arc is by far the most interesting right now and it makes me wonder if the end to that arc is that he (RoW spoilers) becomes a bondsmith, connecting with Ba-Ado-Mishram to restore the Deadeyes and allow Singers to bond with (non-corrupted) spren at the end of the war.

loquacius posted:

I really like how people in this series get superpowers by literally yelling their character growth out loud

Words of Power aren't really new in stories but it is nice that it doesn't involve a ceremony or ritual of some kind.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Or if we'll see Adolin reawaken the bond with a suit of shardplate because to hell with everyone else. Hell, give me a 1000 page book that is nothing but character progression for Adolin. His arc is by far the most interesting right now and it makes me wonder if the end to that arc is that he (RoW spoilers) becomes a bondsmith, connecting with Ba-Ado-Mishram to restore the Deadeyes and allow Singers to bond with (non-corrupted) spren at the end of the war.

Words of Power aren't really new in stories but it is nice that it doesn't involve a ceremony or ritual of some kind.

I like the way you think and would read 2 full books of Adolin looking fly and kicking rear end.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope that he isn't a bondsmith. I want him to be his own thing, and another Kholin being a bondsmith would just be a bit much. Maybe with it him being able to revive the deadeyes would have some impact, but I think he just needs to be the edgedancer that we all know that he is

Mornil
Sep 6, 2010
I just recently finished RoW, but I had a couple impressions at the end that I haven't seen anyone else mention:

(Final Pre-epilogue chapter spoilers) On the surface this chapter shows Eshonai dying, getting a quick tour around Roshar from the Stormfather, and then moving on. But my impression was that like this chapter makes it pretty likely that she isn't truly dead/gone from the series anymore? The "obvious" outcome to me was that her soul didn't move on, but rather jumped into a chasmfiend's gemheart, which is later seen protecting her mother and the other listener refugees. I think we've already seen that Fused can possess giant beasts, and given how it's stated that Eshonai saw everything on her storm tour and suddenly understood how the world fit together, it seems like she may understand how to do this too. And of course the cosmere has some other notable examples of death not really sticking for heavily invested characters...

(Herald and Unmade spoilers) Given Ishar's very abrupt transition from madness to sanity and back to madness (even mid-sentence), it seems pretty likely that at least he isn't actually suffering from traditional old-age madness, but is rather under the influence of some external power. There's still a lot of ambiguity about the real nature of Ba-Ado-Mishram or where her gemstone is, so a long-lived herald seems like the most likely person to be in possession of the gemstone if it still hasn't been found at this point. My suspicion is that this is a "One Ring" situation and even though she's technically imprisoned, she can still exert some influence on whoever holds the gemstone; Ishar's madness is actually a result of Ba-Ado-Mishram wearing him down and whispering in his ear for so long. That would also explain the strange experiments with bringing spren into the physical realm --- if Ba-Ado-Mishram can eventually be freed from her prison, she might consider migration to the physical realm as a way to hide and/or avoid being re-captured in the same manner.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My hope is that Adolin bonds with Maya and becomes the champion for the fight with Odium. He’s been shown to be a very effective dueler, after all.

I’d even more love it if the scene mirrors the duel where Adolin is screwed and Kaladin jumps in, only to have it be whichever Herald they wanted to use, Odium lawyering the rules to his advantage, and Adolin jumping in to beat down everybody.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

My hope is that Adolin bonds with Maya and becomes the champion for the fight with Odium. He’s been shown to be a very effective dueler, after all.

I’d even more love it if the scene mirrors the duel where Adolin is screwed and Kaladin jumps in, only to have it be whichever Herald they wanted to use, Odium lawyering the rules to his advantage, and Adolin jumping in to beat down everybody.

Yes

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Adolin: "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Sab669 posted:

Adolin: "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

This fits entirely too well.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

loquacius posted:

sometimes they whisper it :cool:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

External Organs posted:

This fits entirely too well.

Gonna start reading Adolin dialog in my best GWB voice now :ohdear:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Show me Taln fight someone

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

One could consider Fused and Unmade a type of WMD and at least one faction active on Roshar is there for a power source...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sab669 posted:

He's far too sharp to have a slow drawl.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

:sickos:

Though as good as Adolin is, when Adolin sees Dalinar fight Szeth on the plains he recognizes immediately that he's nothing compared to what his dad was like when younger and that yes, the Blackthorn really was that much of a force of nature because look at how well Dalinar can fight as an older man without shardplate against a dude who has murdered multiple shardbearers. Dalinar does better right then and there against Szeth than Adolin (and Kaladin without surges) did in their earlier fight. Adolin's a good duelist but his fighting skill isn't on the same level as Dalinar at the same age and the fight with Szeth strongly implies Adonlin might not even be on Dalinar's even now (though as we see in RoW even if that's true, Adolin's still a beast). If Dalinar had succumb and reverted he'd absolutely break Adolin in a one on one fight.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dalinar strikes me as a Rogal Dorn type

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

:sickos:

Though as good as Adolin is, when Adolin sees Dalinar fight Szeth on the plains he recognizes immediately that he's nothing compared to what his dad was like when younger and that yes, the Blackthorn really was that much of a force of nature because look at how well Dalinar can fight as an older man without shardplate against a dude who has murdered multiple shardbearers. Dalinar does better right then and there against Szeth than Adolin (and Kaladin without surges) did in their earlier fight. Adolin's a good duelist but his fighting skill isn't on the same level as Dalinar at the same age and the fight with Szeth strongly implies Adonlin might not even be on Dalinar's even now (though as we see in RoW even if that's true, Adolin's still a beast). If Dalinar had succumb and reverted he'd absolutely break Adolin in a one on one fight.

Yes, but (and I need to reread that book, it’s been a while) Adolin WITH Maya? Unlocking her centuries of combat knowledge? Hell ya.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

dalinar strikes me as a Rogal Dorn type

I don't know my Primarch lore well, but

40k wikia posted:

His zeal was the fire of a son who believed in his father's dream for the Imperium without reservation and without question.

That seems fitting for The Blackthorn but I'm not sure if it fits Dalinar as he is in present time.

e; Yea like everyone in 40K lore kinda sucks. Dalinar trying to do the right thing, though.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 3, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

One could consider Fused and Unmade a type of WMD and at least one faction active on Roshar is there for a power source...

Sab669 posted:

Adolin standing over a pile of innocent parsheni corpses, a giant banner flapping behind him with the glyphs for 'mission accomplished'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

TheMadMilkman posted:

Maybe Adolin can go kill Odium's champion in an unsanctioned fight, and because he's not a Radiant, he's not bound by Honor's or Dalinar's word, so Odium has to pick a new champion. Being close to Renarin means that Odium's future sight won't work as well on Adolin, so he won't see it coming.

With Adolin nearly bonding Maya without speaking the ideals, he could also become some kind of unbound surgebearer, and who knows how that would work out.