Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Happy Cigar day indeed! I had my last La Aurora Preferidos Cameroon, Tatuaje Havana VI Verocru Corona Larga (6" x 46 for you Lonsdale fans), and capping it with a Tatuaje Miami Noella.

Vitola games are super fun, I hope y'all enjoy! It's amazing how much those aspect ratios matter.

I secured those Rothschildes, SUPER excited to get those back in the humidor. Shadow Kings and Stellas will be rounding out this cheap and cheerful run. I haven't had an illusione in some time. Super delicious smokes.

E: snipes for me these days, is it a sign?

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Happy Cigar day indeed! I had my last La Aurora Preferidos Cameroon, Tatuaje Havana VI Verocru Corona Larga (6" x 46 for you Lonsdale fans), and capping it with a Tatuaje Miami Noella.

Vitola games are super fun, I hope y'all enjoy! It's amazing how much those aspect ratios matter.

I secured those Rothschildes, SUPER excited to get those back in the humidor. Shadow Kings and Stellas will be rounding out this cheap and cheerful run. I haven't had an illusione in some time. Super delicious smokes.

E: snipes for me these days, is it a sign?

That guy fought you hard for those Rothschilds. It’s funny they have the same listing for some cigars but the starting prices are different, there’s a $156 and a $163, looks like he fought you up to the $163 basically.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, I had passed on a 163 that ended with no bids for the 156, I've always wondered if there's a sometimes coordinated effort from CA's end to bid a few things up.

Although, I do have "general anxiety disorder" so it could be that :v:

Overall, though, with those other two boxes I'm sitting at like $3 and change per stick, which is pretty dang good. I've been too stressed to fiddle with the pipe much lately, so I'm glad to be getting these petit Coronas and Robustos.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I think CigarAuctioneer is just sloppily run. There are some major price discrepancies on some items. There’s a 10 box of Illusione OneOff Coronas and the one is $59 and the other is $79. I can’t see any difference based on the listing but who knows. I’m currently bidding on the $59 one so don’t snipe me :).

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Time for your daily Gramps shilling for a cheap stick post...

Alec Bradley Tempus Maduro. Not the easiest stick to find, but extremely, almost criminally underrated. When you get a good burn they're basically German chocolate cake. Dark rich sweet with cherries, a little pepper and leather on the retrohale. Been getting some moderately wonky burns lately (humis are reading 72 even with 69 bovedas because it's cold) and even then, these are still delicious. If you see em cheap grab a fiver. I paid 35 bucks for a 10 pack which is insane for a stick this good.

These are just a lovely thing to look at. That mottled purplish brown wrapper and the bands just really pop. I'm surprised these aren't more popular.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 28, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lyon posted:

I think CigarAuctioneer is just sloppily run. There are some major price discrepancies on some items. There’s a 10 box of Illusione OneOff Coronas and the one is $59 and the other is $79. I can’t see any difference based on the listing but who knows. I’m currently bidding on the $59 one so don’t snipe me :).

Hot drat that's a great price! Yeah, I have no clue what's up with those prices. Extremely jealous of that find though.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Hot drat that's a great price! Yeah, I have no clue what's up with those prices. Extremely jealous of that find though.

It's recurring so you can grab the next iteration of it :).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

And in the process of looking for the auction, I have found your handle. PREPARE FOR DOXXING! WITH THIS INFORMATION I SHALL DISCOVER YOUR FAVORITE BARGAINS

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Haha my buddy was incognito on CigarAuctioneer but I found him based on the cigars I knew he was hunting and he was sauce8 so I out bid him on one as sauce9 and it's been set to that ever since.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

NewFatMike posted:

And in the process of looking for the auction, I have found your handle. PREPARE FOR DOXXING! WITH THIS INFORMATION I SHALL DISCOVER YOUR FAVORITE BARGAINS

Doxxing my friends and making them thing they have a stalker when in reality I'm just trying to buy them thoughtful gifts 🥺

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My CA order consolidated on Friday and I shipped UPS second day air, but the tracking number isn't updating. I'm hoping it gets delivered on Monday. I have to reroute to a UPS store cause California makes you sign for packages with tobacco and I'm not home during the day. I sure hope I don't get a big order lost in the post!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

My CA order consolidated on Friday and I shipped UPS second day air, but the tracking number isn't updating. I'm hoping it gets delivered on Monday. I have to reroute to a UPS store cause California makes you sign for packages with tobacco and I'm not home during the day. I sure hope I don't get a big order lost in the post!

I'm sure it will turn up. Famous Smoke/Cigar Auctioneer has good customer service as well in my experience even if something does happen. Anything interesting in this order?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

This one is a box each of the Rose of Sharon lanceros, My Father La Opulencia coronas, San Cristobal Revelation Mystics, Leaf corojo lanceros, and the EP Carillon New Wave Stellas. I'm really excited for the RoS (obviously) and the Opulencia coronas because the toro is one of my favorite cigars but is obviously a bit of a commitment. Excited to try a smaller vitola.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Had to try the Bolivar PC for National Cigar day. Happy smoking buds!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
It’s probably my favorite Bolivar that isn’t a regional edition.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
It was really quite nice. I had a cuba libre with it while my kid was napping

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

This one is a box each of the Rose of Sharon lanceros, My Father La Opulencia coronas, San Cristobal Revelation Mystics, Leaf corojo lanceros, and the EP Carillon New Wave Stellas. I'm really excited for the RoS (obviously) and the Opulencia coronas because the toro is one of my favorite cigars but is obviously a bit of a commitment. Excited to try a smaller vitola.

Now THAT is a nice order. you are gonna be giggling to yourself while you smoke for awhile.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've had this Quintero y Hermanos Nacionales knocking around in my drawer in the humidor for probably like 10 months or something and decided to give it a shot. Last one out of the box I got last year:

For those not in the know, it's a Cuban mixed-filler and insanely cheap. You can get a box of 25 for around $50-60, oftentimes even lower. They're not gonna knock your socks off or anything, but they are competent. They're on the spicier side, much like Partagas or Bolivars (though a different profile from either). They have a great floral element that really reminds me of Flor de las Antillas and San Cristobal Revelations. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a flavor profile the Garcias felt was missing from non-Cubans and brought into a few others. Ashton Symmetry also comes to mind for the floral elements.

The only complexity is really coming from smoking past a plug (lol), but it's really improving after that. Gets a creamier backbone instead of just spice and potpourri. Also, in verifying that they're mixed-filler, I am learning that this particular stick is a pre-2018 smoke (they changed the label), so this is probably as good as this stick is gonna get, if a little oversaturated humidity-wise.

I think Jose L. Piedras are the superior (and significantly less expensive) mixed-filler Habanos. They're certainly on the creamier side, much more like Romeo y Julieta. If you're thinking about getting any of these, definitely get the largest sizes (Nacionales for QyH, Cazadores for JLP) - they're cheap enough that you can put them down at any stage in the smoking process, and you're pretty much protecting yourself from smoking it down and letting it get bitter.

Mixed fillers are neat. I am consistently charmed by them. If you want to check out some good non-Cuban mixed fillers for a similar price, the Tatuaje Series P are quite good as well. IIRC they're made from the cuttings for the Havana VI line. Best of all, they're fantastic sticks to have around for a cigar newbie in your life. The JLP Cazadores are especially a good shot because they're big, Cuban, and approachable - your friends will love it (and you'll love it too for when you don't know what to smoke but you're craving something).

e: Ayyyy the Credit Union I'm switching to gives out Visa cards for checking accounts, so it looks like ya boy is finally able to order from iHavanas! Pretty dang psyched about that.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 1, 2021

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Just in time for the March specials! They’ve got a great deal on Partagas Shorts and I’m eyeing up those RyJ Cazadores.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Lyon posted:

Just in time for the March specials! They’ve got a great deal on Partagas Shorts and I’m eyeing up those RyJ Cazadores.

They also have boxes of RASS available again.

I'm out of humidor space and disposable income to throw at boxes, what poo poo timing

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A funky good deal on there is the box of Nasty Fritas - a 50 cab for $195 is pretty amazing.

Hopefully there will still be some good pulls next paycheck!

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I picked up a 5 pack of those nasty fritas a while ago and only had one so far. Gonna have to sneak one out soon for lunch if the weather plays nice this week. It was a fun little smoke

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Shadow King Robustos: secured! Stellas should wrap tomorrow, consolidation on Wednesday, and a freshly topped off humidor by the weekend!

Pretty psyched for everything. We're getting real close to having enough backlog in the humidor so we can start smoking the new stuff after 2 weeks instead of being done with them by then :v:

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
If anyone is looking to split boxes of CCs let me know I got some scratch burning a hole in my pocket.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Smoked an Oliva Serie V robusto yesterday that I bought at Total Wine. This is now the 3rd time I've tried one of the main-line Oliva offerings (rather than the Nubs) and they've all be unforgivably tight. Back at the beginning of lockdown I tried a 5-pack of the Serie V robusto, then a little later a Serie O torpedo, and then this Serie V last night. Unless I'm just having spectacularly bad luck this is starting to seem like a consistent issue, which is surprising given Oliva's status, as well as the overall build quality of the Nub line in my experience.

I had to use the PerfecDraw several times to be able to pull enough to get good combustion, but then once it smoked down a bit the airflow was all hosed and I just gave up on it. The cigar was extremely firm to the touch, and just feels like it was over-stuffed, which is how I remember the others I tried. I'm getting ready to just write off non-Nub Oliva sticks at this point.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I just visited my homeland, Famous Smoke.

Grabbed a bunch of random stuff.

CLE Prieto and Chele (check off my list so I don’t have to buy 5 packs)
Warped Gran Reserve 1988 and (a new blend of?) Maestro del Tiempo
Foundation Tabernacle David and Goliath
Crowned Heads Four Kicks Capa Especial
Aganorsa Supreme Leaf
Southern Draw Manzanita (one of ten shops to carry them supposedly)

And I took a picture of my babies in the wild:

I guess the image upload in the Awful app doesn’t like my Shadow Kings so I’ll have to post it later. It was $6/single in there which is bananas.

NewFatMike posted:

Shadow King Robustos: secured! Stellas should wrap tomorrow, consolidation on Wednesday, and a freshly topped off humidor by the weekend!

Pretty psyched for everything. We're getting real close to having enough backlog in the humidor so we can start smoking the new stuff after 2 weeks instead of being done with them by then :v:

I saw you went for the whole box! I’ll grab them from you if they disappoint. Just remember it’s a $2 cigar :).

Ophidian posted:

If anyone is looking to split boxes of CCs let me know I got some scratch burning a hole in my pocket.

I’d do the RyJ Cazadores if you need more or maybe the Trinidad Reyes.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 1, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Smoked an Oliva Serie V robusto yesterday that I bought at Total Wine. This is now the 3rd time I've tried one of the main-line Oliva offerings (rather than the Nubs) and they've all be unforgivably tight. Back at the beginning of lockdown I tried a 5-pack of the Serie V robusto, then a little later a Serie O torpedo, and then this Serie V last night. Unless I'm just having spectacularly bad luck this is starting to seem like a consistent issue, which is surprising given Oliva's status, as well as the overall build quality of the Nub line in my experience.

I had to use the PerfecDraw several times to be able to pull enough to get good combustion, but then once it smoked down a bit the airflow was all hosed and I just gave up on it. The cigar was extremely firm to the touch, and just feels like it was over-stuffed, which is how I remember the others I tried. I'm getting ready to just write off non-Nub Oliva sticks at this point.

Definitely weird. I've smoked more Olivas than probably anything other than Drew Estate Factory Smokes. I think I've had 2 Olivas ever have any draw issues. My last 4 boxes worth of Oliva stuff was all flawless for me. I know Nexein fights with the Nubs for some reason, but Oliva is basically always great for me, save for some Gilberto Olivas I had over the summer.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Lyon posted:

I saw you went for the whole box! I’ll grab them from you if they disappoint. Just remember it’s a $2 cigar :).

Oh yes, it'll be at the fore when thinking about it. My $2 cigar today was quite lovely!

Ophidian posted:

If you haven't hit it by mid month, I may jump in.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Ophidian posted:

I'd get in on some RyJ Cazadores as well if folks wanted to split it 3 or 4 ways

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Ophidian posted:

I will venmo whomever a generous amount if you wanted to peel off a few pairs of singles for me once the stuff lands. Not sure I wanna give a full box a rip just yet.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Gramps posted:

I will venmo whomever a generous amount if you wanted to peel off a few pairs of singles for me once the stuff lands. Not sure I wanna give a full box a rip just yet.

I can make you guys a little sampler if you want probably. I have 10-15 different Cuban cigars but I’m low on some so I’d have to see what I can spare two of for you and Nex.

Edit: I’d be down to split RASS, RyJ Cazadores, Trinidad Reyes, and the Party Shorts, particularly if I send out some samplers. I think I made a similar offer to Kenning I never followed up on.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 2, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Lyon posted:

I can make you guys a little sampler if you want probably. I have 10-15 different Cuban cigars but I’m low on some so I’d have to see what I can spare two of for you and Nex.

Edit: I’d be down to split RASS, RyJ Cazadores, Trinidad Reyes, and the Party Shorts, particularly if I send out some samplers. I think I made a similar offer to Kenning I never followed up on.

You're a legend man. Anything you can or would spare would be appreciated. We'll definitely chuck whatever $$$ you need that direction.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

If you like serie V or Nubs you need to find these. I scored a box from cigarbid during power hour a month or two ago. Second best nub for me behind the Dub, and actually probably my third favorite serie V vitola behind the special figurado and the torpedo.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

T-T-T-Triplepost (sorry)

601 Blue Torpedos, Charter Oak Maduros in Petit Corona, and Rose of Sharon Desert Rose Lonnies. oooh baby. The train has pulled into flavortown station.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Gramps posted:

T-T-T-Triplepost (sorry)

601 Blue Torpedos, Charter Oak Maduros in Petit Corona, and Rose of Sharon Desert Rose Lonnies. oooh baby. The train has pulled into flavortown station.

Never stop posting. Those all look great.

I smoked an Archetype Axis Mundi and was underwhelmed. It was mostly wood and earth but in a boring way, some pepper came in towards the end but it couldn’t save it for me at that point. I also smoked an HVC Hot Cake the other day and was a bit underwhelmed after the hype. It was fine but I was expecting more I guess. I am currently smoking a Sin Compromiso and it is living up to the hype a bit. At least the first bit is giving me hope.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Man you guys were right on about petit coronas. I haven't even lit this yet and I can already tell this size is money.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Someone is bidding on my Stellas! What a tool! I've got a class to teach, too so I can't babysit the bid.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

This piece of poo poo snuck in at the last second after I outbid him back, what a dick, I was so psyched for those. I guess it was bound to happen, but it's really steaming my dumplings.

Time to see if I can find anything on CA that'll close tonight, be cheap and cheerful, and go out with my order tomorrow :v:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry you got sniped! I've definitely sniped a few people recently, which I feel just a little bad about, but not that bad. If you'd like to do some sniping yourself, a 5x5 of Perdomo Champagne Puritos is closing today. Also the Hoyo La Amistad Gold Rothschilds which are under $4/stick right now with no bids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks for those! I came across them in my browsing, but nothing that really stuck out to me except this Rocky Patel Juniors Connecticut.

I'm not a particular Rocky fan, but these are cheap as hell. I also whipped it my best search-fu to find a review on these things and they actually look good.

It's $49/40, and getting sticks into the humidor faster than I can get them out is a perennial hassle, but I think I'm locked onto a winner here. Easy on the budget and competent, short Connecticuts that are going to pull the average $/stick on this order wayyyyyyyyyy down.