Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Kins posted:

so does duck hunt, you can plug a controller into port 2 to control the duck

this was an extremely fun way to gently caress with people :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Lost Vikings 2 on SNES has a “you suck” mode that gives all your characters extra powers (like shooting fireballs) if you find a way to kill a Viking in the tutorial level, which is harder than it sounds.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Tato posted:

The Lost Vikings 2 on SNES has a “you suck” mode that gives all your characters extra powers (like shooting fireballs) if you find a way to kill a Viking in the tutorial level, which is harder than it sounds.

:staredog:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tato posted:

lol thats cool

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Arrhythmia posted:

Expert version of this: the powerup jingle is the end of level jingle sped up a billion times.

I only found out about that a few months ago and it blew my drat mind. They did a great job of recycling the sounds in ways that arent recognizable

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

More of a tech/bug thing rather than some hidden mechanic but the strength of gravity in Doom for PlayStation is tied to the framerate! Lower framerates (encountered in such levels as MAP25 which has some horrendous slowdown) result in weaker gravity, whereas higher framerates have you hitting the ground fast. Overclocking the CPU (to keep the game running at the intended 30fps) keeps the gravity effect constant (duh), and with a somewhat higher pull than the PC original. Here I am loving around to show this bug/useless info in action. This probably has the unintended side-effect where some maps requiring ledge-leaping to progress can't be completed unless there's slowdown, but I haven't bothered testing it that much yet.

:catstare:

The original dark souls on PC was also like this. If you installed whatever that mod was that let you set your own frame rate and set it to 60, you can’t make certain jumps like the one in sens fortress from the bridge to the tower thing where the vendor NPC is.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 2, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just found out that the cake is a lie.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Just found out that the cake is a lie.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tato posted:

this also enables the ability to skip levels by just hitting all four face buttons at the same time

iirc there's also a second set of secret powers you can get by repeatedly talking to an out of the way npc like 3/4ths of the way through the game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

feeling shameful reading that upon remembering that i always used the konami code for the TMNT games......

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
https://obscuritory.com/essay/incredible-boxes-of-hock-wah-yeo/

Not really sure what thread this should go in but this article is cool and shows a really weird prototype design for american PS2 game packaging

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Kins posted:

in the original design for max payne, instead of the gimmick being "going into matrix slow motion" it was "injecting a drug that temporarily transforms you into a mutant hulk". but then a publishing exec pointed out that the slow motion stuff that they'd implemented for testing visual effects and stuff was way more interesting

Whoa

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the development history of all of remedies games always seem like a convoluted mess until some exec steps in and tells them what the hell theyre need to do to make a playable game lol. alan wake was supposed to be completely open world with in game time that transitions smoothly between day and night and didnt feature the burn out enemies with light mechanic at all

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

goferchan posted:

Not really sure what thread this should go in but this article is cool and shows a really weird prototype design for american PS2 game packaging

lol

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

goferchan posted:

It takes a surprising amount of effort to design a disc case that isn’t compatible with shelves

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gestahl: Ah, General Celes. You want some magicite? Very well, all you have to do is insert this disc, and a memory card, into the Playstation... in five minutes.
Locke: What the-?! Who designed this thing? Rather take a stick in the eye than work this case!
Kefka: Uweee hee hee!!!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

What the actual gently caress.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

lmao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lmao

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2)
Go bowling! If you overcharge, you get the character's KO sound... unless it's Jun Kazama. She just giggles as she flies down the Mishima Lane and gets an illegal strike.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just found out today from a new modern vintage gamer video that all the loading in street fighter alpha for the snes is not because of the weird chip used to compress graphics. it's because capcom rushed the game out and hosed up the way the game loaded music in each stage. for probably the past 20+ years everyone assumed it was from the SDD-1 chip and all the animation frames but nope- it's entirely related to music.

also somebody figured out how to unlock Akuma in the game......a month ago lol: https://www.destructoid.com/stories/shin-akuma-pops-up-in-snes-street-fighter-alpha-2-thanks-to-newly-discovered-code-615767.phtml

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

lmao

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
in the SFC/Japanese version of FF6, you can rename all 8 of cyan's swordtech levels. there's even a separate menu for it and everything.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

in the SFC/Japanese version of FF6, you can rename all 8 of cyan's swordtech levels. there's even a separate menu for it and everything.

Lol why? That's cool

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

convenient so you can name about half of them "don't use this."

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

goferchan posted:

Lol why? That's cool

I guess so you can rename them to something useful because it's hard to remember what all 8 do. no clue why the menu was removed from the US release

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
just found out Phantasm for the sega saturn is an 8 disc game

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

just found out Phantasm for the sega saturn is an 8 disc game

It's also got a jpop music video and some ads on it as well.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Not exactly something I've just found out, but it is something I've just been reminded of in Streets of Rage (MD/Gen):
https://i.imgur.com/v55KwhZ.mp4

Throwing the pepper shaker at any boss character will cause them to have a turbo-seizure for all of ONE second instead of the protracted (and exaggerated) period of standing around sneezing. Incredibly useless, but there you go!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

in ff6 the evade stat is bugged and doesn't do anything, which means things that effect it like the blind status effect don't actually have any effect

there's an item called "goggles" that prevents blind status.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Tekken Tag Tournament (PS2)
Go bowling! If you overcharge, you get the character's KO sound... unless it's Jun Kazama. She just giggles as she flies down the Mishima Lane and gets an illegal strike.

https://youtu.be/is1LOenT7Yk
this is cool too you can knock out the doctor who made the jack robots with a bowling ball

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Wave race 64 wasn't the first game in the series. it was a sequel to an OG Gameboy game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wave race 64 + wetrix ftw, n64 ushered in a golden age of cool water in gaming

Also I just learned it's called wetrix, not wetris