Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for February, 2021?
This poll is closed.
:stwoon: Kota Ibushi (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) 28 16.00%
Rika Tatsumi (Princess of Princess Champion) 10 5.71%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) 2 1.14%
:scotland: Drew McIntyre (FORMER WWE Champion) 0 0%
The Miz (WWE Champion) 74 42.29%
:angel: Tsukasa Fujimoto (ICEx Champion) 8 4.57%
:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) 20 11.43%
:snod: Go Shiozaki (FORMER GHC Heavyweight Champion) 4 2.29%
:bustem: Keiji Mutoh (GHC Heavyweight Champion) 9 5.14%
:dance: Rich Swann (Impact Champion) 2 1.14%
Suwama (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:mump: Tetsuya Endo (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) 0 0%
:science: Jun Akiyama (KO-D Openweight Champion) 8 4.57%
:comfyzelda: None of the Above 10 5.71%
Total: 175 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In January tradition prevailed, as the IWGP Champion won the monthly poll for the 6th time in 7 years, continuing a 5 year streak of January wins that has only been marred by a tie with None of the Above in January of 2018. Kota Ibushi, who promised to become God, lived up to his word by first becoming the new Double IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Champions on Night 1 of Wrestle Kingdom 15, and then successfully defended the belts on Night 2, both matches strong favorites for Match of the Year status (another January tradition). Ibushi's nearest competitor was, fittingly enough, his old Golden Lovers partner Kenny Omega, the AEW Champion garnering close to 30% of the vote to Ibushi's 45%. Third place Yuka Sakazaki didn't manage to hit double-digits, meaning the win couldn't be clearer for Ibushi. Can he however break the habit of the IWGP Champion being topped from the winner's position in Feburary as happened to Naito and Tanahashi in the prior two years? Kazuchika Okada is the last IWGP Champion to manage this feat (kicking off an 8 month streak of the IWGP Championship winning the monthly poll) and if Ibushi wants to be God, he's gotta do what God does!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - for instance, Asuka (Raw Women's), Kenny Omega (AEW), Rush (ROH), Sasha Banks (Smackdown Women's), Shun Skywalker (Dragon Gate) and Utami Hayashishita did not defend their belts this month, and so have been dropped from the poll for this month. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone, feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread.

:stwoon: Kota Ibushi (IWGP World Heavyweight Champion) - The new improved, handsomer God kept busy through February as he defended both the IWGP Heavyweight and IWGP Intercontinental Titles against SANADA at The New Beginning in Hiroshima. But the conventional wisdom was that the second of his double belts wouldn't last when former champion Tetsuya Naito challenged him for ONLY the Intercontinental Title. However, Ibushi proved his divinity once more and retained that belt too at Castle Attack. Why is that relevant to a poll about World Champions? Because it was announced the next day that the two belts would now be combined to continue the lineage of both as The IWGP World Heavyweight Championship. Ibushi was serious when he said he intended to be a Double Champion, as serious as he was when he said he would become God. There will be no more challenging for one belt only, Ibushi will either keep it all or lose everything, because he's never been one to do things by half.

Rika Tatsumi (Princess of Princess Champion) - At TJPW's Positive Chain, Rika Tatsumi faced off against her Daydream tag team partner Miu Watanabe. However the match didn't affect their friendship as they teamed up in the Max Heart tournament. Daydream's tournament came to an end as Rika herself suffered a pinfall loss to 121000000's Maki Itoh, setting up a potential future challenger for the White Dragon. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) - After surviving his Last Man Standing match in January, Roman Reigns had no desire to go through another grueling defense of his belt and so came up with a solution that benefited him and nobody else (he is a heel, after all!): he refused to defend his title in the Elimination Chamber like his Raw counterpart was doing, instead declaring that he would defend the belt against the winner of the Elimination Chamber itself... the very second that match was over. True to his word, Reigns showed up shortly after Daniel Bryan won the chamber, assaulted him, then quickly beat him in a match to "defend" his title. He didn't get it all his own way though, getting speared by Edge shortly after to make clear he would be using his Royal Rumble victory to challenge for Roman's belt at Wrestlemania.

:scotland: Drew McIntyre (FORMER WWE Champion) - Drew McIntyre defended his title in the Elimination Chamber. The match's other participants were AJ Styles, Jeff Hardy, Kofi Kingston, Randy Orton and Sheamus. Drew lost the title when he was pinned by The Miz.

The Miz (WWE Champion) - The Miz is champion again after 10 years. He cashed in his Money in the Bank briefcase that he already unsuccessfully cashed in back in December of last year.

:angel: Tsukasa Fujimoto (ICEx∞ Champion) - For anyone who isn't watching Tsukasa Fujimoto's 2021, you are missing a very strong WOTYC contender. Tsukka made the first defence of her title reign by defeating the Deathmatch Amazon Rina Yamashita. Tsukka also enjoyed finding out how popular she was outside Japan as a GIF of her pulling out the Tsukadora went viral (despite GIF's being banned by Ice Ribbon, the promotion she is President of). After her successful defence, Tsukka challenged her long time rival, Maya Yukihi to write yet another chapter in their rivalry. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:gitgudhorn: Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion) - Despite not defending her belt in February, Hikaru Shida makes it onto the poll under G1 rules: the entire month has been ALL ABOUT the AEW Women's Championship as an international tournament with an American and Japanese bracket has had a number of excellent women wrestlers beating the poo poo out of each other all for the chance for a shot at Shida's title. She's been there watching, setting up future storylines and getting involved in matches as she continues to raise the profile of the AEW Women's title to new heights.

:snod: Go Shiozaki (FORMER GHC Heavyweight Champion) - Go's career defining reign as GHC Champion reached its culmination as Go led NOAH back to its spiritual home of Nippon Budokan Hall. Go managed to drag a MOTYC out of 58-year-old Keiji Mutoh but unfortunately for Go he couldn't manage to retain his championship, falling to a Frankensteiner and the power of Pro Wrestling LOVE. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:bustem: Keiji Mutoh (GHC Heavyweight Champion) - At the age of 58 years old, Keiji Mutoh once again returned to the top of the pro wrestling world, becoming only the third man in history to complete the Grand Slam of Japanese pro wrestling by winning the IWGP, Triple Crown and GHC Championships. In his first defence, Mutoh faces 24-year-old Kaito Kiyomiya, a man who was born after the first two of Mutoh's world title reigns. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:dance: Rich Swann (Impact Champion) - Rich Swann successfully defended his title against Tommy Dreamer at the No Surrender PPV, a result that was never really in question... or at least shouldn't have been.

Suwama (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - After being unfairly forgotten and left off the poll last month, Suwama returns in February tahnks to a successful title defense against Kohei Sato at Korakuen Hall for Night 4 of the AJPW Excite Series.

:mump: Tetsuya Endo (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) - Endo started his February on a high note, selling out his new all nude photobook. However, on Valentine's Day his title reign came to an end at the hands of Jun Akiyama in a match unfortunately affected by streaming issues, that you can now watch for free on YouTube. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:science: Jun Akiyama (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Jun Akiyama completed a very good weekend for old, bald former AJPW Presidents by defeating Tetsuya Endo for the KO-D Openweight Championship at DDT Kawasaki Strong. His first act after winning the championship was to call out Kazusada Higuchi who beat him in just 4 minutes in the D-Oh Grand Prix. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:comfyzelda: None of the Above - If you dislike all these options and just want to curl up in a comfy little ball and sleep till the next monthly poll... or you just wanna tick None of the Above and see the results, then this is the option for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Voted for Tsukka because she rules, but wanted to comment on the writeup for Rika Tatsumi. I'm pretty sure Itoh submitted her during Max Heart, not pinned, but Cagematch has reviews of the event that mention both a pin and a submission, so now I am confused.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kota Ibushi has betrayed everyone so I am voting for Uncle Jun.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I could have voted Go because his carry job of Mutoh was miraculous, but Fujimoto is absolutely killing it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Voting for Shida for bringing us that excellent Women's Tournament and looking amazing in the Dragon of Dojima's Suit

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Voted for Tsukka because she rules, but wanted to comment on the writeup for Rika Tatsumi. I'm pretty sure Itoh submitted her during Max Heart, not pinned, but Cagematch has reviews of the event that mention both a pin and a submission, so now I am confused.

I will hold my hands up and say I did not watch the Max Heart tournament before submitting Rika's write up.

I voted for Mutoh but looking at the results I regret not voting for Tsukka

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I could make very solid cases for Rika (who has been great), for Go (who brought a year long story to a satisfying rest point) or for Jun (who is having absurdly good matches for a man of his age). But ultimately the story for February 2021 for me is the story of Shida tiring of her competition in the USA and so travelling to Japan to make the best wrestlers in the world beat the poo poo out of each other for the privilege of fighting her, and it has been absolutely glorious. Her smile at the end of the 6-man match was just wild joy at how much fun she's having and how much fun she's bringing to the women's division.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i voted for uncle jun

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Voting none of the above for the first time since Jay Lethal's ROH reign. Just none of the options did anything for me in February and I'd feel wrong voting for Shida. Between Mutoh, Uncle Jun and The Miz (I feel dirty including the Miz in this group) February felt like a torch being forcefully grabbed backwards while being screamed at THIS NEVER BELONGED TO YOU.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I voted for The Miz out of tribute to PSP and over a decade of these threads. Love you guys

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

getting the march 08 one done after this is concluded

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

also voting go shiozaki to celebrate the absolutely tremendous title run he just finished. really strong stuff.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
I think I've only seen one of these champions fight this month, but that champion was part of what might be my favorite womens match ever. I may be rooting for my big bro Ryo Mizunami to take the gold at Revolution, but for the month of February my vote's gotta go to Hikaru Shida.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Edit: n/m, missed the explanation

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Never gonna get a chance to vote for Akiyama again. Let's do it.

e: unless he defends the belt over the next few months, obvs

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Voted Shida but just noticed Two-Belts Kenneth is not listed

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Royal Updog posted:

i might not understand the rules of this thread :justpost:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
voting shida for strapping a rocket to the womens division

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Royal Updog posted:

He didn't defend the belt in February

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i might not understand the rules of this thread :justpost:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Voting Shida for her rock-paper-scissors match at ChocoPro

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

voting miz re: gently caress ohio

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i voted for uncle jun

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ibushi's champion of the month, shida's booker of the month

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I voted for Miz because it’s funny and it turns out my vote has put him in the lead ahead of Ibushi. No regrets.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

This meme is getting out of hand :(

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There have been 69 votes and Ryusuke Taguchi is just utterly beating the poo poo out of me as I post this, ignoring my protests that I can't close the poll. At the moment The Miz (:cripes:) holds a very slight lead over Ibushi but a ton of other champions are also well within reach of the 1st place spot, and there are a little over 3 days left to vote regardless of what Coach is saying.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Jerusalem posted:

There have been 69 votes

Nice

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We could've avoided this if the puro/joshi voters would actually agree on someone and stop splitting each other's votes

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Benne posted:

We could've avoided this if the puro/joshi voters would actually agree on someone and stop splitting each other's votes

exactly, everyone should vote for uncle jun.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I voted on Go because that was an insane reign capped off with carrying an old man to a genuine MOTYC.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benne posted:

Two of the first three replies told everyone to go Fujimoto!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'd rather vote for the miz than become part of some kind of weird dnc compromise thing. join me in the C-SLAM forum

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I will not sacrifice the Champion of the Month poll. We've made too many compromises already. Too many retreats. They ruin can't miss prospects, and we fall back. They push boring wrestlers down our throats at the expense of our favourites, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn HERE! This far! No further! And WE will make them pay for what they've done!

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Rika Tatsumi is cool and GAY for Mizuki.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Numero6 posted:

Rika Tatsumi is cool and GAY for Mizuki.

you're right and you should say it.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I voted for The Miz explicitly because that guy posted a thread in QCS about that being bad. I'd like to make it clear that I don't watch professional wrestling at all and never have, but respect the choice of entertainment of the regular posters of this forum. However, again, because that guy is mad in QCS for reasons I'm sure you all understand, I voted for famous professional wrestler The Miz in the poll in this thread. Thanks and feel free to PM if you have further questions.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I voted for The Miz explicitly because that guy posted a thread in QCS about that being bad

ahahahaha

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mutoh is cool.
Mutoh is old.

I am one of those things, therefore I feel he represents me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I voted for The Miz explicitly because that guy posted a thread in QCS about that being bad. I'd like to make it clear that I don't watch professional wrestling at all and never have, but respect the choice of entertainment of the regular posters of this forum. However, again, because that guy is mad in QCS for reasons I'm sure you all understand, I voted for famous professional wrestler The Miz in the poll in this thread. Thanks and feel free to PM if you have further questions.