Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
This contest has ended!

Looking for an opportunity to write flash fiction and get helpful feedback?

Head over to Thunderdome!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953574

image courtesy of curlingiron

Welcome to the party.

Write It Now is a fiction contest. You may sign up now up until 3/4/21 @ 9PM EST. On 3/5/21 @ 9PM EST, a prompt will drop. At that point, start punching keys, because only a mere 2 hours later at 11PM EST, submissions will close. On your honor, do not write anything in advance or prepare for this contest. Any registered member of SA is welcome to join.

Judgment will be fast, and all entries will be judged by myself, and notable writers sebmojo & Ironic Twist. We will declare a winner, a place, and a show.

As of now, the first prize will be 50/50. 50 dollars to the winning author, and another 50 dollars to the charity of their choice.

If we hit over ten entries a place prize of 30/30 shall be awarded.

If we hit over twenty entries a show prize of 20/20 shall be awarded.

If we get to over twenty entries… I may be inclined to get creative.

And that’s it! The prompt will be specific, but not inherently challenging. There will be no other flash rules or conditions. Also, I do understand that this contest is inherently going to be biased to some specific time zones. If it goes well, hopefully, more can happen later that will favor other locations.

Some things:

• The only penalty for failure to submit is personal shame.
  • Post all submissions right here, in the thread.
  • The prompt will not be a specific genre.
  • There will not be a word count limit. That doesn't mean that more is better. Consider 600-800 as a reasonable target.
  • Stay away from erotica.
  • In your entry post, include your title in bold, and right below that, the word count of your entry.
  • Entries will be judged anonymously. steeltoedsneakers will attend to the task of copying and pasting entries, as they are posted, sans author name, into a google doc. The judges will work off of that document.
  • All entrants, whether they win or not, will receive helpful feedback, from all of the judges, in this very thread within a week or so. Additionally, though we will know that you only had a short period of time to create your entry, that’s not an excuse to be sloppy. Consider budgeting some time for proofing your submission.
  • For an optional bit of excitement, you may choose to write your story in a google doc and share the link in the thread so audience members can spectate your writing process! Again, that's entirely optional, and only opt for it if it will be fun for you. It would be kinda neat to turn this into a spectator sport.
  • Victors may be compensated by Paypal, venmo, or with a gift card to the venue of their choice.

Your Judges:

Chili
Sebmojo
Ironic Twist

Fast Folks:
For those who have opted to share any sort of streaming/document, it'll be next to their name.

1. Lily Catts
  2. Gnoman
  3. fishception https://docs.google.com/document/d/15N0Ffn_--bOPIKigSZSyBNj4u-G4mZ30bCSmC8WlAFU/edit?usp=drivesdk
  4. a friendy penguin
  5. curlingiron
  6. Beezus
  7. Psychomax
  8. sparksbloom
  9. STAT!
  10. Mr. Steak
  11. Samuel Glompers
  12. Rhymes With Clue
  13. toanoradian
  14. Xelkelvos
  15. Horrible Butts
  16. The Klowner
  17. Paper Diamonds
  18. I brought my Drake https://www.twitch.tv/chieflyill
  19. kurona_bright
  20. Some Guy TT
  21. Spokes https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CCm_ka_iTY7YdoYA0oi0ZjMn3gerj9lcHo-LS75f9R4/edit?usp=sharing
  22. HugeGrossBurrito
  23. Julias
  24. boar guy https://twitch.tv/sonofadiddly
  25. Aardvark!
  26. QuoProQuid
  27. Arsenic Lupin
  28. oldskool
  29. Merlot Brougham

Chili fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
neat idea, I'm in

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

My writing is pretty terrible, but might as well give it a try.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
In

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I'm going to regret this the next morning, but in.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Heck yes, let's do an thing.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Put me in, coach. I gotta go fast.

Psychomax
Apr 4, 2009
This sounds fun! I'm in!

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
I'm in.

STAT!
Jun 17, 2006
Oh geez I'm in.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Loving the sign-ups so far!

Quick reminder that I'm seeking someone to volunteer to copy posts from here into a google doc for anonymous judging purposes. If you're up for helping with that, please let me know!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Haven't done creative writing since high school, excited for whatever disaster I turn in 'cause I'm IN

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

A prompt followed by a 2-hour deadline? In please.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
In.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Idk where I'll be next week other than not at work. gently caress it. In.

Horrible Butts
May 7, 2012
Love it, sign me up.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
saw the ad. I will opt [IN]

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
I also saw the ad and sure why not lets party down. I'm in.

TDS
Feb 17, 2021
What a neat idea, I hope this goes well. If it didn't happen at 3 AM for me I might even participate. On that note, have you considered having this during the weekend instead of a weekday? That would give people in other timezones more flexibility to participate.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

TDS posted:

What a neat idea, I hope this goes well. If it didn't happen at 3 AM for me I might even participate. On that note, have you considered having this during the weekend instead of a weekday? That would give people in other timezones more flexibility to participate.

OP mentioned there are plans for future events to be held so other timezones can reasonably participate. :)

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

TDS posted:

My availability is somewhat limited so I'm also running this when it can be done for me. Friday night my time was the best time to make this work for me as well.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

What the hell. I'm in.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Sure, why not. In.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Oh, so like Thunderdome, except faster and without those confusing new rules that were there the last time I looked at it? Sounds great! I'm in!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I meant to post and didn't! oops. Yes, i'm in!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I brought my Drake posted:

What the hell. I'm in.

Quoting for name change. And yes, I will be bringing a Drake, FC and armor tanking be damned.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Going to try, I will be drunk lol

steeltoedsneakers
Jul 26, 2016

Chili posted:

Quick reminder that I'm seeking someone to volunteer to copy posts from here into a google doc for anonymous judging purposes. If you're up for helping with that, please let me know!

It me!

I don't think there are any specific rules against editing your post after the fact - but I will be whacking these into a google doc pretty quickly and efficiently on an as-is where-is basis.

I therefore can't guarantee that the version with that better metaphor you edited in 5 mins after posting - or the one where you fixed the typo in your title - will be the version the judges read.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
This is absolutely a terrible idea on my part, but I'll join in for good fun.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

steeltoedsneakers posted:

It me!

I don't think there are any specific rules against editing your post after the fact - but I will be whacking these into a google doc pretty quickly and efficiently on an as-is where-is basis.

I therefore can't guarantee that the version with that better metaphor you edited in 5 mins after posting - or the one where you fixed the typo in your title - will be the version the judges read.

There is a rule now!

Don't edit your poo poo, writers.

And thanks steeltoedsneakers!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'm in. happy to broadcast the process on a google doc or twitch or whatever but i shan't be sober

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
put me in coach

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

boar guy posted:

i'm in. happy to broadcast the process on a google doc or twitch or whatever but i shan't be sober

Yes!

Remember, sharing your progress is highly encouraged!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Alright, i'll write in a google doc too. If i try to be a coward and don't do it, somebody ban me

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh also, based on the turnout I'm now hopeful that we may hit 20 entries. Prizes now will be awarded to the top 3 entrants!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'm in.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
If you saw this thread a week ago and went "huh, maybe, but I won't know if I can do this until it's closer so I'll sign up then"

:siren: IT'S NOW CLOSER :siren:

You only have until 9 PM EST to get your goonybutt into this contest!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm in.

So, is the entry post a standalone post in CC?

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

sure, i'll join in. what could go wrong? maybe i'll actually finish setting up OBS and test out a twitch stream