Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe if there was a no lovely bosses mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Speaking of best-in-class platformers, I finally started Rayman Legends after buying it on sale for $7 like 3 years ago. drat this game is great. Tons of content too.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also I saw a new Harvest Moon on the eshop and then remembered that Harvest Moon is the bad series now because of dumb name fuckery. But there is also a new Story of Seasons releasing next month apparently (the real Harvest Moon), called Pioneers of Olive Town. I probably won't get it since I haven't even gotten the FoMT remake, but it's nice that it's there I suppose. I've heard nothing about the new SoS.

Bit late, but even beyond my having played the original, the FoMT remake got an instant buy for me once I learned it allowed for same-sex relationships. I know for a lot of folks, that's been a massive annoyance with previous Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games, and allegedly PoOT (hehehe) will have this feature as well. I know cynics like to say "They're just pandering to get that gay money, the game company doesn't actually care about LGBT people", but I politely tell those folks to gently caress off. A "life simulator" game allowing for same-sex relationships is important to more gay/bi people than you might think, even if it seems like a very basic feature.

Anyway, sorry for the soapbox! :haw: I'm oddly excited to put warp pipes in my Animal Crossing town, those should be available today?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Astro7x posted:

I feel like by eliminating the 3DS/Handheld exclusive line of games we would have all that development effort focused on one system. Or that by taking the time to remaster/re-release stuff for the Switch that the successor wouldn't be that far behind it.

Like it blows my mind that we went Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3 all a year apart. Then 4 years between Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze. Now it's been 7 years and we haven't even had a hint of DKCR3.

Just needed to rant about this and get that out there...
https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1366509036603080717

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Whoever designed this Mario 3D bonus world level where you ride a raft over poison swamp in the dark with Boos can eat a dick.

:argh:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it's wild how good media culture was in the US in the late 90s. the # of good, classic, influential movies and albums in 97/98/99 is also nuts

I know several of these games are japanese but that just makes me think it was a global golden age for commercial 'art'

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of these games are extremely good. Choosing based on platform, so I am going to cheat:

Sega Saturn: Panzer Dragoon Saga
PlayStatin: Parasite Eve
PC: Half-Life
Nintendo 64: Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Arcade: Tekken 3

But just to make it clear, I love all of these games.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I've beaten only half the games on that list. :(

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I just can't take the term Metroidvania seriously when fully half of the Castlevania games that exist don't qualify as the term that's named after them.

Hyrule Warriors Legends is nearly unplayable on a regular 3DS, it was meant to play on the New 3DS. That's the only one that comes to mind though.

There were a couple dozen other N3DS soft-exclusives. Notable ones would be Minecraft, FE Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles, Binding of Isaac Rebirth. Of course it also had the Circle Pad Pro functionality built in with the nub and the ZL/ZR buttons so there's a bunch of games that benefit from that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I've beaten only half the games on that list. :(

To be fair, some of these games are really god drat hard.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I said come in! posted:

To be fair, some of these games are really god drat hard.

Correction: only a third. I thought it was twenty games, not thirty. :-p

I didn't have a PC, and never owned an N64.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

American McGay posted:

Pretty sure more SOTN-likes exist than classic Castlevanias. There's like 6 just between the GBA/DS.

Three on the NES, three on the Game Boy, two on the SNES, one on the Genesis, and even if they're lovely, two on the N64 that are more like the original games than SotN. Also the sequel to Lords of Shadow on the 3DS that's more like the original games too. That's twelve games in the classic style.

That's about half of the Castlevania games, not counting stuff like the remake of Rondo of Blood/Dracula X for the PSP, and of course Lords of Shadow which is the outlier. If you count up the "Metroidvania" type Castlevania games there's I think nine.

I said fully half but that was guesstimating, but after checking there are three more games in the classic NES style than there are Metroidvania types. So I will amend my previous post.

I just can't take the term Metroidvania seriously when over half of the Castlevania games that exist don't qualify as the term that's named after them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Three on the NES, three on the Game Boy, two on the SNES, one on the Genesis, and even if they're lovely, two on the N64 that are more like the original games than SotN. Also the sequel to Lords of Shadow on the 3DS that's more like the original games too. That's twelve games in the classic style.

That's about half of the Castlevania games, not counting stuff like the remake of Rondo of Blood/Dracula X for the PSP, and of course Lords of Shadow which is the outlier. If you count up the "Metroidvania" type Castlevania games there's I think nine.

I said fully half but that was guesstimating, but after checking there are three more games in the classic NES style than there are Metroidvania types. So I will amend my previous post.

I just can't take the term Metroidvania seriously when over half of the Castlevania games that exist don't qualify as the term that's named after them.

Don't forget the surprisingly good Wiiware one!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That's just a remake of the Gameboy one.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah the Wiiware one is just a remake of the Game Boy one so I didn't count that. Although technically by that logic I also shouldn't count Super Castlevania IV since it's a remake of the first one. That'd still end up with eleven games in the classic style though.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Alot of that was NEW poo poo too instead of derivative garbage

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

my kingdom for a xenogears port to switch.

and giving dude free reign to revive the series and go completely nuts with it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Dpulex posted:

Alot of that was NEW poo poo too instead of derivative garbage

such as tomb raider 3, tekken 3, need for speed 3, mario party 3, crash bandicoot 3, fallout 2, turok 2, oddworld 2,

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Everything sucked after June 2000, perfect darks release

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cartoon Man posted:

Whoever designed this Mario 3D bonus world level where you ride a raft over poison swamp in the dark with Boos can eat a dick.

:argh:

That level is easy. Seriously. If you are struggling with it you might as well throw in the towel now because you will throw your switch out the window when you get to the hard stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah the Wiiware one is just a remake of the Game Boy one so I didn't count that. Although technically by that logic I also shouldn't count Super Castlevania IV since it's a remake of the first one. That'd still end up with eleven games in the classic style though.

By that token neither SNES games should count because the other is just a worse version of a PC Engine game. Also you forgot Haunted Castle and MSX Vampire Killer, though I guess that's just 1 again? Actually that and 2 might be closer to metroid style than classic :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

abelwingnut posted:

my kingdom for a xenogears port to switch.

and giving dude free reign to revive the series and go completely nuts with it.

He already did, it's called Xenoblade these days.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

That level is easy. Seriously. If you are struggling with it you might as well throw in the towel now because you will throw your switch out the window when you get to the hard stuff.

thank you gamer

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

robot roll call posted:

such as tomb raider 3, tekken 3, need for speed 3, mario party 3, crash bandicoot 3, fallout 2, turok 2, oddworld 2,

:smug: um, actually, I think you'll find that's mario party 1, how embarrassing

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Wait, am I missing something? Since when was the term metroidvania coined after the Castlevania series? Or am I misunderstanding?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Walla posted:

Wait, am I missing something? Since when was the term metroidvania coined after the Castlevania series? Or am I misunderstanding?

Well it was metroid, and then symphony of the night happened

And then we got metroidvania

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's a portmanteau of Metroid and Castlevania, based on the fact that the games in the "genre" share similarities with both Super Metroid and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Walla posted:

Where did you think the "vania" part comes from

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Regy Rusty posted:

Castlevania is just a Metroidvania set in a castle.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also people always complain about that genre name but it's not like you can change it. It's been entrenched for decades now. That's just what that type of game is called.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

how many Metroids even fall into that category anymore, either? certainly none of the Primes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Metroidvanias are now HollowOriDigs

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Regy Rusty posted:

I honestly never gave it much thought. And I never would have gotten the connection since my experience with both series ended on the SNES and they're two completely different styles of games.

The SNES Mega Man games are closer to Metroid than Castlevania.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Muscle Tracer posted:

how many Metroids even fall into that category anymore, either? certainly none of the Primes

Walla posted:

The SNES Mega Man games are closer to Metroid than Castlevania.

we're just saying whatever tonight huh

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If it has a randomizer it’s a ‘vania. Sorry those are the rules

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

we're just saying whatever tonight huh

Haha seriously

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mega Man X, known for it's singular, large sprawling map.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sekiro was the best metroidvania in a while

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Mega Man X plays exactly like Mega Man

Like it’s just mega man with SNES graphics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

hatty posted:

If it has a randomizer it’s a ‘vania. Sorry those are the rules

Is there a metroid prime randomiser? That’d rule