Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pyro's fourth ability also hits everything in a massive radius. If you kill them after that they heal you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

The Locator posted:

Playing through on the Pyromancer now, and only thing left is McCain. Gotta say the roughest part by far was the approach to the Solar Tower where all those tough melee dudes keep rushing you.. The Pyromancer just isn't equipped to deal with that very well and I died a bunch of times before I managed to get through that. Once you hit level 6 and get the 4th skill I think that would be a lot easier, but the timing is wrong and you don't have that when doing this part.

I did it as pyro without an issue. When you first come around that corner, slap the bomb ability on a dude and start tagging the other enemies as you kill him. They'll rush together and the bomb will take them out. Also you can kite a bunch of those guys back (step back a bunch towards where you came in and they'll run in one-by-one and you can just gun them down as they come at you)

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Licarn posted:

Blighted Rounds is great on techno, especially if you get gear with the mod that makes it apply to two mags.

Snipe 1 enemy and everyone around them takes damage. Plus use the turret to freeze bosses and get free headshots with blight up.

I use the one that lets me heal all damage done with it when I end the skill.
And then I use the skill with an lmg.
Free full heals!

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Kerrzhe posted:

i enjoy the demo, i liked the prologue, i like the characters and premise of the story, i like Devastator, but i keep getting unreal engine crashes every time i open the Class menu, and the last one was upon exiting my inventory menu.

i just want to play the game!!

Hey, I was having the same problem. The directions on the Reddit help thread worked for me. The game's crashed once since I dropped the FPS and switched to borderless window, compared to almost every time I tried to close an inventory screen. Which...progress?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I started over as Pyromancer tonight with a friend just starting as the Trickster and we actually had a really good time. The Trickster's abilities are visually incredible, paired with the Pyro it was nice that he could freeze a group and I could light them all up and everyone in the bubble just vaporizes. Sucks the game is $60, it can honestly be really fun at times but no way I'm paying more than $40 for this.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Finished up on 3 characters and just started the Trickster. Man I'm glad I saved it for last, it's hilariously fun as I just zip around slowing time and shredding everything at point blank range and am immortal.

Might change as I hit the higher world tiers of course, but it's by far the easiest to start with, was just heading out to do the first 'outside' questing after finishing the 2 hound quests in town, and game hard crashed on me. First crash I've had, and it wasn't while doing anything in inventory or even fighting, just running along the path.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

free hubcaps posted:

does matchmaking in this game seriously just straight up not work?
https://twitter.com/Outriders/status/1366085846248656899

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I could not sleep do I did the 3 chest grind which did the trick and I managed to get this. Sucks that stash isn't enabled in demo so I can't transfer it to my technomancer who could actually use it

https://twitter.com/Outriders/status/1333833239501352963

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Tried the demo.

Got an connection interrupted pop-up, these things were goddamn loving stupid back when Diablo 3 got them all the time.

I'm going to guess it'll dump me back at the start, because clearly nobody did any sort of thinking on this one.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I went back to replay the demo with the tank as well as the Trickster. Both were a lot more fun to play than the Pyromancer, so if you tried the Pyro and bounced off the game, maybe give those other classes a try.

I still wouldn't call it a GOOD game, but playing a class that is actually built for "this isn't really a cover shooter you have to go in there and brawl it up" the videogame makes a big difference.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
There's a lot of damage gating. I assume it's to keep people from being stunlocked to death. It was funny trying to suicide for the legendary run and watching a small army of goons melee me in the middle of a hail of bullets and just keep standing there.

Played Tech and that's all of them for me. The ice turret is more or less just a decoy, since enemies can deftly avoid it by moving at a normal pace to the left/right by shooting. It tracks through walls, which means it also decides to shoot at the guy behind cover instead of the two guys rushing you. The rocket salvo turret is super cool the one time you manage to line it up just right to catch a bunch of enemies but doesn't do enough damage to kill most of them. I never got the poison bullet skill, but it's just better bullets so... yeah.

Looking at the skill mods in the wiki it looks like they were really going for support on Pyro (leaning towards debuffs) and Tech (healer) which... doesn't really work in these games. It's a situation where I could definitely see them making it so at world tier 10 or whatever the game goes rapidly downhill. The enemies are so bulky you need a pyro to boost damage and of course you need an augmented Impale on on Dev for the armor and health boost with a Tech spamming heals... and the Trickster is suddenly poo poo after pretty much soloing all content before that. I don't know why devs keep trying to inject roles into games without explicit roles because it's never a good idea.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I went back to replay the demo with the tank as well as the Trickster. Both were a lot more fun to play than the Pyromancer, so if you tried the Pyro and bounced off the game, maybe give those other classes a try.

I still wouldn't call it a GOOD game, but playing a class that is actually built for "this isn't really a cover shooter you have to go in there and brawl it up" the videogame makes a big difference.

I started as pyro and have had no problems at all bull rushing whole lines with the flame line power and a shotgun. Or the flame bomb small CC power and a shotgun. I'm wondering if players that bounced off pyro didn't really read their power's. Cause before I realized that the CC'ed mob would explode for major damage when killed, I was having issues with the larger packs. After I started singling out a dude to die in a pack with that flame bomb stun, then shotgun rushing him. Things became cake.

But even before I got the flame stun bomb thing, I wasn't having to much trouble dealing with smaller staggered lines of dudes. Like triple packs. I just had to break off after 2 kills for a quick top up.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

yea this is bullshit, ive tried matchmaking a bunch of times the last several days from both the main menu and the in game lobby and it just hangs on the "creating game" screen forever until i eventually get a connection error after like ten minutes

i had some tentative hopes for this game and I do like the gameplay despite all the jank but if this is essentially the final build yikes.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I've matchmade 3 times. One at the end of the rescue mission after they ready killed everyone, the second with someone who immediately kicked me. The third time I actually started at the beginning of a mission and it was just chaos and particle effects everywhere. So it can work but it's just busted

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
So, I played through the demo last night to about level 4. Technomancer was cool(ish) in that it's a pretty standard looter shooter character concept, and the gunplay is pretty fun.

But then I log in this morning, and my character is gone. Now the game wants me to play through the prologue again.

Hooraaayyyy.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Those rascally weapon designs are tryina trick me into pre-ordering but I'm not gonna do it :mad:

Ordeith
Oct 26, 2002

If I troll again, I will eat Hello Kitty's brains with a spork
Preordered!

My Pyromancer feels pretty good now, but I had a terrible time with single target dps/sustain. The bomb helped a lot with larger groups, but farming Gauss (even with what I think is close to the best gear I can get) takes at least 3x as long as a Trickster. Also saw that frozen/sniper Techno build killing Gauss in a few seconds.

Maybe things will change for Pyromancers when we get Volcanic Rounds, so probably a bit early to decide a single target dps king. But definitely nice to have a fast boss killer in this game since I don't think we get any extra loot/drops playing as a group...

Ivan Dolvich
Oct 14, 2004

Shit bag. I use all ammunition for weapon

Game is pretty mediocre. I'm having fun with the demo but I just don't see it having any staying power. What I've played of the demo thus far makes it seem very story focused and the story is just not very good. It seems pretty linear so far too. Because of the gears of war style, its pretty obvious whenever you are going to encounter enemies in an area. Maybe it comes later but there don't seem to be any open world elements, random encounters etc.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VId9OoMeL9Q

Video seems to do a good job at summing up the general feelings I've seen in the thread, and I agree with most of it.

Cons:
Story is bad and cutscenes are incessant, ruining the flow of action
Core gunplay/movement is uninspired, outdated, and with janky animations and feedback
Constant crashing and performance issues
Audio sync issues, shaky cam, matchmaking not working, and way too much motion blur
Level design is boring copy-paste arenas with chest-high walls scattered about
Enemies/quests don't show much variety, coupled with the level design, could become stale fast
Not much if anything at all is going to be patched in time for release: demo indicative of game at launch
Trickster is the only fun class

Pros:
Story/acting so bad it loops around to being fun to watch the ridiculousness
You can skip cutscenes quickly
Class abilities refresh quickly and feel powerful
Every class is rewarded with health/shields for playing aggressively instead of hugging walls
Bosses have some interesting attack patterns to work around
Equipment perks are actually important and change your playstyle greatly (instead of boring 1% accuracy perks)
Equipment perks come early in the game instead of only appearing endgame as other shooters do
Developers seem very transparent and have good ideas: not peddling microtransactions, not trying to last 100+ hours, and not hiding issues
Trickster is bonkers cool as a class

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 1, 2021

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Here’s some new rear end legendary just revealed

https://twitter.com/OutridersPlus/status/1366425499270975491?s=20

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Soft serve legendary

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

This is a decent Twitter account I guess. Has some cool data

https://twitter.com/outridersplus/status/1365371715262554124?s=21

https://twitter.com/outridersplus/status/1366440597020680193?s=21

https://twitter.com/outridersplus/status/1366433058581217284?s=21
Warts: The Gun

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
So I finally got through the absurdly bad starting mission and get thrown into Dieselpunk World War One with loving magic.

This poo poo is NOT worth 60 loving Euros, it's barely worth half of that, this might be a funny buy on heavy discount sometime down the line, but not now.

Wait for several months, one of two things will then happen:

1. Discontinued development, massive discount to squeeze out a bit more blood.
2. Continued development, somehow, slightly smaller discount, to fund continuous development.

There we go, also, don't loving pre-order, just go buy some nipple-clamps and go to a dominatrix if you really feel the need to bow before your corporate masters.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

RagnarokZ posted:

So I finally got through the absurdly bad starting mission and get thrown into Dieselpunk World War One with loving magic.

This poo poo is NOT worth 60 loving Euros, it's barely worth half of that, this might be a funny buy on heavy discount sometime down the line, but not now.

Wait for several months, one of two things will then happen:

1. Discontinued development, massive discount to squeeze out a bit more blood.
2. Continued development, somehow, slightly smaller discount, to fund continuous development.

There we go, also, don't loving pre-order, just go buy some nipple-clamps and go to a dominatrix if you really feel the need to bow before your corporate masters.

This game will be half off in three months during a sale.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
I know this is an objectively mediocre game, but I've actually really been digging it.

I manged to get into a couple full teams and it kinda clicked: marking guys to explode as the Pyro while 2 tricksters warped around and detonated them in their time bubbles was legit fun to see.
I can see the frame work for some pretty fun coop, just hope it comes together in the full version.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mailer posted:

There's a lot of damage gating. I assume it's to keep people from being stunlocked to death. It was funny trying to suicide for the legendary run and watching a small army of goons melee me in the middle of a hail of bullets and just keep standing there.

Played Tech and that's all of them for me. The ice turret is more or less just a decoy, since enemies can deftly avoid it by moving at a normal pace to the left/right by shooting. It tracks through walls, which means it also decides to shoot at the guy behind cover instead of the two guys rushing you. The rocket salvo turret is super cool the one time you manage to line it up just right to catch a bunch of enemies but doesn't do enough damage to kill most of them. I never got the poison bullet skill, but it's just better bullets so... yeah.

Looking at the skill mods in the wiki it looks like they were really going for support on Pyro (leaning towards debuffs) and Tech (healer) which... doesn't really work in these games. It's a situation where I could definitely see them making it so at world tier 10 or whatever the game goes rapidly downhill. The enemies are so bulky you need a pyro to boost damage and of course you need an augmented Impale on on Dev for the armor and health boost with a Tech spamming heals... and the Trickster is suddenly poo poo after pretty much soloing all content before that. I don't know why devs keep trying to inject roles into games without explicit roles because it's never a good idea.

They say this is not a GAAS game. Maybe tricksters will have a great time from first mission to the last one, then quit the game with good memories.
I occurs to me that if theres a tryinity of class that can do all content, people will just gravitate to that, ignore other options (until a tricksters appears soloing max level content designed for 3 players, but these things can be ignored ).

ICR posted:

Here’s some new rear end legendary just revealed

https://twitter.com/OutridersPlus/status/1366425499270975491?s=20

this one is interesting, a locust of bugs that spawn on impact seems a solid source of DOT damage. It was in Destiny with the nanites rifle

this one seems poo poo, considering the game already have a lot of tools to freeze enemies. Blues can already to this, so what is the point of a legendary?

inflicting weakness, it depend on how strong, but I could see some use against boss fights

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 1, 2021

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This game loving owns lmao

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I was playing with a friend last night who had only heard it's real bad from friends of his, and the first time he put everyone in a bubble and made them explode like Sarah Conner in that Terminator 2 flashback we just started laughing and saying "holy poo poo that was so cool" over and over again in hushed tones.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
As a heavy The Division player on PS5, I appreciated that almost all of the controls in Outriders were exactly the same (cover, switch weapons, climb, interact) but after playing the tutorial and getting my powers it's definitely NOT The Division. I picked the Pyromancer because it seemed cool but it was definitely a pain in the rear end against the bosses. It wasn't until I got an SMG that gives me 44 health on a kill shot that I started to enjoy it more, but then I hear about the other classes (which I haven't tried yet) and how they make things a cake walk and then I realized I probably made a mistake. It was fun, but after what other people said about "oh here's a bunch of half-height walls, I guess there's going to be a fight!" and the generic and uninspired level design it's probably not something I'd pick up for any price, definitely a GameFly rental or at best a Black Friday special. At least if it's not a live service game I can finish it and be done with it.

And I know you're not "supposed" to be use cover, but traversing around cover (like rounding a corner) really sucks.

Also story-wise I went in knowing nothing about the time skip so that was unexpected. If the cutscene animation and audio glitches were gone the story might be more compelling but to me it was ok.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Tei posted:

They say this is not a GAAS game.
The devs have been stressing this is NOT some long term live service game, it is a game meant to be finished. Judging it for "longevity" is looking at it the wrong way.

Although it should be noted that it is being published by Square Enix who put mtx into Deus Ex and that stuff could be patched in later, but I don't know how much control they have over the studio.

Also

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Roman posted:

Although it should be noted that it is being published by Square Enix who put mtx into Deus Ex and that stuff could be patched in later, but I don't know how much control they have over the studio.

Also
The difference is that SE is only publishing this, they don't actually own the studio the way they do Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Here’s all the legendaries in the demo.

Missing some others that aren’t available like the gun with cankles and excessive warts

https://twitter.com/outridersplus/status/1366433058581217284?s=21

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Turns out all you need to do to make a legendary gun is glue some gross poo poo on it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Kibayasu posted:

Turns out all you need to do to make a legendary gun is glue some gross poo poo on it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kibayasu posted:

The guns are ALTERED

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Locator posted:

Playing through on the Pyromancer now, and only thing left is McCain. Gotta say the roughest part by far was the approach to the Solar Tower where all those tough melee dudes keep rushing you.. The Pyromancer just isn't equipped to deal with that very well and I died a bunch of times before I managed to get through that. Once you hit level 6 and get the 4th skill I think that would be a lot easier, but the timing is wrong and you don't have that when doing this part.

With the technomancer I just head-shotted my way through this bit with a sniper rifle and the freeze turret, and with the Tank it wasn't a big deal at all.

Saving Trickster for last.

Running melee attack as pyro is a giant fire aoe that tags and Burns everything around you. Melee attacks in this game are really good.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
When melee baddies want to hit you, dont back away and kite them like in other games. Instead get in their face and hit them with your own, faster, melee attack. This works surprisingly well with any class.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
The thing with Pyromancer is that it's powers are built around priming and triggering combos - ignite stuff then hit them with overheat. They have a later power that is an AOE root - lock them in place, set them on fire then overheat or thermal bomb them.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Lmao I hope yall aren't actually being stupid and pre-ordering this.
How many times are you going to have to be burned by a pre-order before the lesson is learned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Roman posted:

The devs have been stressing this is NOT some long term live service game, it is a game meant to be finished. Judging it for "longevity" is looking at it the wrong way.

The best part about this game existing is seeing the internet try to wrap its collective hivemind around the idea of a non-GaaS release. Like the idea of a game not stuffed with crap to drive an engagement metric is so foreign that beating the content is considered a failure.