Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

The Joe Man posted:

See everyone? The system works! :peanut:

I wouldn't pay $1200 for services I could do myself. Not sure what good scripts would be when you'll be reading someone else's copy (who are also in charge of their own edits), "coaching sessions" are usually bullshit because every job you do is different and general coaching doesn't really apply unless you're horrible (you're not), and then editing/mastering the audio files is something you should absolutely learn to do yourself (or the client has their producers handle it themselves).

I'd save the $1,200 and reinvest part of it into some decent audio editing software. I still use what I originally learned on back in radio (Adobe Audition), but I'm sure other goons have good (and more up to date) suggestions as well.

This is good info, thank you - after typing up my post and chewing on it a little I was wondering if that wasn't a bad investment.

Especially since I'm getting auditions from these dead forums - best :10bux: I ever spent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
So I built this.

All I need is an auxiliary monitor and I'm good to go!

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

I only come out when it is wet.
Looking nice! I just took my measurements for my booth so I need to get my supplies and start building.

Question: I have a the mic, computer, pre-amp set up. What would an aux monitor do?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey, gang. I'm working on a 12-episode serialized audio drama adaptation of an old computer role-playing game called Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. It has 200 voiced roles. I can't pay you, and also probably this will never be listened to by more than a hundred or so people. But if you want to lend your voice to a huge project, I could use your help!

This isn't the first time I've recruited folks from SA for voice work. A couple years ago I did an 11- or 12-episode adaptation of Fallout 1, and earlier this year I finished a 7-episode adaptation of Soul Blazer. My partner and I adapt old video games into radio dramas. It's a podcast.

If you're interested, send me an e-mail at calvinredburn@gmail.com. Ideally, I'd prefer to have a single actor willing to take on at least one role for each episode. That way I can actually fill all 200 roles but also not have a weird situation where an actor may or may not be talking to another character that person also voiced.

Character Reference Sheet --where you can see what characters look like and what their history is (which is usually just text I copied from the manual)

Character Schedule and Script -- there are three sheets here; one is the script, the second is a list of the characters and a guide on what episodes they play in and if they die, and the third is another pronunciation helper

The Script --as a document instead of a table.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mj96TUvzOgggum1AOYSNabCblqdIkLwj/view <-- here is a demo of the first fifteen or so minutes. It's not finished -- it's very rough, but the music, narration, sound effects and additional voices will hopefully kind of give you an idea of what the tone of this will be.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Sent a few tidbits.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Emailed a couple of voices too - looks like a great project!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I just figured out how to add an extremely light and natural sounding reverb to anything without making it sound like a dying robot.

This means I can charge way more now right

In other news: recently completed all level narration/new units/trailer VO for the next game from one of my main clients. Expecting the full trailer to drop any day now: https://store.steampowered.com/app/431950/Age_of_Fear_4_The_Iron_Killer/

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I see bosoms

I approve of bosoms.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Only just noticed this now due to a random post in the adventure game thread:
http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/audition/

Deadline is tomorrow, 10am EST. Managed to finish only one of the character auditions and shot it over to an alternate email since their audition inbox is apparently full. Hopefully they'll extend the deadline because of it.

EDIT: WarpedNaba, if you see this in time, you should absolutely go for the fortune teller guy.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 5, 2020

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Tried sending two different audition sets, but they bounced back. Hopefully they got through, and don't mind the blooper line for the forgedude.

Also thanks for the heads-up.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Okay, so the email address they set out is bouncing all my emails. It ain't 10am EST though. Guess I'll have to shrug on this one.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
He's working on it:

https://twitter.com/WadjetEyeGames/status/1313076902199001091

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/WadjetEyeGames/status/1313083004391219200

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 5, 2020

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

So I'm currently looking to voice coaching as my next major step toward a voice over career. If possible, does anyone have any recommendations that have helped them out? Right now, the three top coaches I've heard of are:

1. Dave Walsh - Commercial Voiceover Coach

2. Dave Bisson - Commercial and Character Voiceover Coach

3. June Yoon - Character Voiceover

I'm just looking for a solid place to start for myself. I'm more interested in character voice acting, but I've come to also see how commercial voice over can really help pay the bills.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

blinkeve1826 in this very thread is a VO coach and offers classes. I even took her class and it was great!

ItWasMoida
Jan 31, 2019

Binowru posted:

blinkeve1826 in this very thread is a VO coach and offers classes. I even took her class and it was great!

Right, I remember! Where can I get her information? If possible I'd love to look at her rates and see if she can do online coaching.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Hey y’all - so I’ve got a few recordings under my belt now and feel confident about the equipment and software I want to invest in.

I guess I’m a little stuck about next steps, however - should I make a reel? Is it all right to have music under my examples, or should I try to avoid that? Is getting representation worth it (I live in a pretty big market) or is going it alone better?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

ItWasMoida posted:

Right, I remember! Where can I get her information? If possible I'd love to look at her rates and see if she can do online coaching.

There's no way I can post her info without it feeling like doxxing so I would want to have her permission first. blinkeve1826 are you around?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

https://www.facebook.com/ListenToMelanieVO/

ltmvoiceoverclasses@gmail.com

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Strangeland has been cast. Didn't snag the part (James Earl Jones Furnace Fella); at a glance it looks like it's a lot of previous folks they've worked with (which isn't out of the ordinary if actors prove they're easy to work with):

https://twitter.com/WadjetEyeGames/status/1317600081256865793

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Depressio111117 posted:

Hey y’all - so I’ve got a few recordings under my belt now and feel confident about the equipment and software I want to invest in.

I guess I’m a little stuck about next steps, however - should I make a reel? Is it all right to have music under my examples, or should I try to avoid that? Is getting representation worth it (I live in a pretty big market) or is going it alone better?
Yes, make a reel. 90s length is the best and have as much variety as possible. Music beds underneath each unless it's not appropriate for the clip. Representation-wise, you'll have to research your local agencies and see if their actors have been successful. The main decision is to go union or non-union, and some agencies require you join the union. Since I don't live in LA or NY (and most of my clients are international and all over the world), I'm non-union and find my own clients.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Trailer finally finished for one of my latest projects. Hasn't been uploaded anywhere else but the Steam page for now though:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/431950/Age_of_Fear_4_The_Iron_Killer/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That pic's good av material

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

This has been a dismal year for me (and everyone.) This week the game I did VO for came back to me for a holiday message for In-Game content. I was like YES! I asked if there were any examples of the main character VO that I did for them because I hadn't been able to find examples in game play or on any of their social media. They let me know that the whole character was axed from the game. I mean, I got paid for all the work I did but man, what a bummer. Like 20 hours of recording over months of going back and forth. Bleh.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hey all! I'm no VO pro, but I am putting together a video project where I'm doing the voiceover. Was hoping to get a little perspective on my read by posting some (WIP) audio that you can listen to here and here. It's for a ~40 minute doc on monster/folklore history, for context.

My main question is, is it "too much"? I've found that I'm not very good at having conversational, naturalistic reads in my past voice "work" so I've tried the other direction for this and attempted to have a bit of a more authoritative/broadcaster lilt to my voice. However, I'm worried that it'll be exhausting to listen to for an extended time, too forceful and too sing-songy and overly serious. Mainly just worried that it sounds like I'm trying waaay too hard. But I also might be overthinking it!

If my anxieties are in fact founded, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or resources for getting a more naturalistic and conversational read? Whenever I've tried it's always ended up seeming like I'm reading off of a piece of paper. I'd love to be able to sound extemporaneous but I have no idea how to pull that off, not being a trained actor.

e: The whole thing might be exacerbated by the fact that I can be a little overly-formal in my writing at times, so let me know if you think that might be part of the issue. But I'll also be quoting a good number of historical sources which are written formally.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 28, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Hey all! I'm no VO pro, but I am putting together a video project where I'm doing the voiceover. Was hoping to get a little perspective on my read by posting some (WIP) audio that you can listen to here and here. It's for a ~40 minute doc on monster/folklore history, for context.

My main question is, is it "too much"? I've found that I'm not very good at having conversational, naturalistic reads in my past voice "work" so I've tried the other direction for this and attempted to have a bit of a more authoritative/broadcaster lilt to my voice. However, I'm worried that it'll be exhausting to listen to for an extended time, too forceful and too sing-songy and overly serious. Mainly just worried that it sounds like I'm trying waaay too hard. But I also might be overthinking it!

If my anxieties are in fact founded, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or resources for getting a more naturalistic and conversational read? Whenever I've tried it's always ended up seeming like I'm reading off of a piece of paper. I'd love to be able to sound extemporaneous but I have no idea how to pull that off, not being a trained actor.

e: The whole thing might be exacerbated by the fact that I can be a little overly-formal in my writing at times, so let me know if you think that might be part of the issue. But I'll also be quoting a good number of historical sources which are written formally.
Very decent, overall! Main things I noticed were occasional mouth clickiness and yes, sing-songiness in parts but it's not extreme enough to distract/exhaust the listener fully (unless you're actively listening for it). Your sentences end in the correct range and emphasis is mostly on the correct parts; it's the middle of sentences that keep jumping up & down for no discernable reason other than variation. While I don't have any online resources I can point to, my personal advice would be to look at each sentence as an individual whole, and then try to stretch out and cap your ups at a more midrange point (or start high and slowly ramp lower, then up towards the end of the sentence if warranted).

While I've done projects like this, reading naturally is also my weakpoint and the main thing I've kept in mind while recording is to keep the interesting parts of the read engaging for the reader while giving them an auditory break on the filler words getting there (if that makes any sense).

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Do we have some good deep voices in here? I have a client, whose sales kickoff intro video I'm finalizing today, is now asking for a "Welcome to Sales Kickoff 2021" VO over the end.

I can pay $50 - there was nothing in the budget for VO originally so I'm squeezing blood from the stone here.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'd happily do it gratis, but I'm off to work for 8 hours literally now.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Do we have some good deep voices in here? I have a client, whose sales kickoff intro video I'm finalizing today, is now asking for a "Welcome to Sales Kickoff 2021" VO over the end.

I can pay $50 - there was nothing in the budget for VO originally so I'm squeezing blood from the stone here.
I can whip this out shortly; shoot me a PM with a bit more details and I'll send it over ASAP.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WarpedNaba posted:

I'd happily do it gratis, but I'm off to work for 8 hours literally now.

Thanks for the offer! But TJM went ahead and knocked it out for me.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Whelp.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Since quarantine started, I've been finding myself doing VO work for friends on projects and finding I really enjoy it. I'd love some criticism on the quality of my equipment/performance. While everything sounds fine to me, I'm not sure I have the ear some of you in the thread will have. If I'm going to keep doing this, I'd like to make sure I'm putting my best foot forward. Below is a sample.

https://youtu.be/Bl6Xne_TPX8

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Hey everyone. Want to show off my new digs. I've come a long way over the last several years; from recording with a home made microphone shield in a closet to having an actual dedicated recording booth.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sataere posted:

Since quarantine started, I've been finding myself doing VO work for friends on projects and finding I really enjoy it. I'd love some criticism on the quality of my equipment/performance. While everything sounds fine to me, I'm not sure I have the ear some of you in the thread will have. If I'm going to keep doing this, I'd like to make sure I'm putting my best foot forward. Below is a sample.

https://youtu.be/Bl6Xne_TPX8
Nothing egregious but very mouth-clicky and lacking "oomph" overall which is likely due to poor mastering. To help generally enhance your recordings, I'd recommend doing a post-production pass on them. This one is good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x__NthInRs

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Hey everyone. Want to show off my new digs. I've come a long way over the last several years; from recording with a home made microphone shield in a closet to having an actual dedicated recording booth.

This is super cool! How much did this cost to build roughly (and does it work as well as you'd hoped)?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

The Joe Man posted:

Nothing egregious but very mouth-clicky and lacking "oomph" overall which is likely due to poor mastering. To help generally enhance your recordings, I'd recommend doing a post-production pass on them. This one is good:

drat, once you pointed it out, now I can't not hear it. Thanks.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

The Joe Man posted:

This is super cool! How much did this cost to build roughly (and does it work as well as you'd hoped)?

With all the acoustic treatment plus the booth itself, just about $5000. Worth every single penny. It sounds so good and does such a great job at blocking out the sound. I need to test it when a plane is flying overhead but I was inside working on the lighting and I could barely hear when one flew by. They offer a double-wall upgrade which would block it out completely but it isn't a big concern. In the current configuration it blocks out 99% of outside noise which is great imo.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hey voice acting goons, I’m currently holding a closed casting call, but I’ll let y’all in on it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18umGhRDf64TSCPFZgBW_StQpqrk438A4U_pn8CAxFls/edit

It’s for a visual novel adaptation of The Seagull by Anton Chekhov and while I expect like 75% of auditions to come in during the final hour as they always do, so far I’ve received few auditions for any of the middle aged and older characters, one of whom has the highest line count in the project*, so if that’s up your alley you might have a competitive advantage.

The casting call is closed so I don’t get a thousand kids on webcam mics clogging my inbox but if you know someone who might be a good fit you can go ahead and share this with them, just don’t go reposting on casting call club or something.

* it’s the sexy and vaguely villainous dad. why doesn’t anyone want to be the sexy and vaguely villainous dad? that’s the best kind of dad

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Xibanya posted:

* it’s the sexy and vaguely villainous dad. why doesn’t anyone want to be the sexy and vaguely villainous dad? that’s the best kind of dad
Haven't read it yet but this sounds right up my alley

EDIT: Question: Do you want these in a slight Russian accent or you going for whatever?

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 12, 2021

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'll give it a go once my landlord stops drilling holes in the walls.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

The Joe Man posted:

Haven't read it yet but this sounds right up my alley

EDIT: Question: Do you want these in a slight Russian accent or you going for whatever?

The Casting Call posted:

• The subject line of your email should read The Seagull Audition - YourName.
  • Send one file per character you audition for. Format filename as CharacterName_YourName. (i.e. Lubov_ManuelaMalasana)
  • A maximum of 3 takes per audition line is permitted.
  • Do not slate your audition. (Do not introduce yourself in your audition.)
  • Do not add SFX or foley to your audition.
  • Please use your natural speaking voice (do not use a fake Russian accent.)

:v:

but I'm glad you're interested in taking a crack at it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I am actually Russian and I thought FINALLY, A CHANCE TO SHI-

Oh.