Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It looked like a training session. Absolute poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Good job Canelo but what a waste of time for everyone who watched (I just watched :mad:)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Man I guess I’ve been beaten into low expectations but I’m just happy it didn’t take long, given some of the time wasters I’ve seen in the ring. Like staying up to watch Parker-Fa

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watched it on mute while the also bad UFC card was on another screen and I still felt ripped off.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ruiz arreola on pp loving v lol

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMBoxing/status/1366844473204957184?s=20

Hmmm, looks like theres gonna be a legal battle. Top Rank really hosed this up.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

wow can you believe bob pissed off a young star in his roster and now they're going to have a lengthy legal battle? oh no! what is bob going to do now

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jump King posted:

oh no! what is bob going to do now

I assume pass away.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Jump King posted:

former world champion* andy ruiz!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Jump King posted:

Supposedly every fighter in the card will be Mexican/of Mexican descent so they'll be leaning heavily on that to keep this from being a complete disaster.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Mike Coppinger is reporting that Gervonta Davis might be moving up to 140 to fight Mario Barrios, which doesn't make any sense to me. Outside of generational, transcendent talents, moving up two weight classes never works out. I know that Davis has had a few fights at 135 (even still holds a belt there), but he's essentially a junior lightweight, and not a big one at that. He's a short armed 5'5 former featherweight. For comparison, the top fighters at 140, Josh Taylor and Jose Ramirez, are 5'10. Mario Barrios is 5'10. Davis is not a superelite, A+ type of fighter who can consistently overcome a 5 inch height and reach disadvantage. Additionally, 130-135 has a slew of potential big fights for Davis: Ryan Garcia, Shakur Stevenson, Oscar Valdez, Devin Haney, Teofimo Lopez, Vasyl Lomachenko, etc. By comparison, 140 - especially once the Taylor/Ramirez winner assumably moves up to welterweight - will be pretty bereft of talent. Maybe Teofimo Lopez moves up there soon, but he's not there yet.

We also know that once someone moves up a couple weight classes, they don't move back down. Adrien Broner and Mikey Garcia were the last two examples we have of fighters doing this kind of thing, and they had their careers essentially derailed permanently through doing it.

Davis has had documented weight struggles and doesn't seem particularly disciplined in his personal life. This move doesn't seem like a good omen to me for his future in the sport.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

He was never going to stay at 130 but I'd be surprised if he didn't try to come back to 130 to fight one of the other young guys there

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Tank jumping to 140 just seems genuinely insane to me.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1367162856580337665?s=20

Joshua fury is on

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

https://twitter.com/SiriusXMBoxing/status/1366844473204957184?s=20

Hmmm, looks like theres gonna be a legal battle. Top Rank really hosed this up.

There is virtually no chance that fight does 2 million buys. I don’t even think 2 million people know what triller is.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

sportsgenius86 posted:

There is virtually no chance that fight does 2 million buys. I don’t even think 2 million people know what triller is.

For what it's worth, depending on the rest of the card, the fight maybe need to do a tenth (or even less) of that to considered a success.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

as a canadian claressa shields fan im the target audience for the ppv tonight and i cannot even imagine paying for this

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

as a canadian claressa shields fan im the target audience for the ppv tonight and i cannot even imagine paying for this

They should've have made it the undercard to Teofimo Lopez - Kambosos. Add some ~1,000 viewer/day Twitch steamer vs a moderately famous TikToker and you've got gold baby

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 6, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

sportsgenius86 posted:

1.6 million bought Tyson Jones, so probably 2mil know what it is. But yeah, this probably won't do 1/5 of the next Paul bros spectacle.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Mike Coppinger is reporting that Gervonta Davis might be moving up to 140 to fight Mario Barrios, which doesn't make any sense to me. Outside of generational, transcendent talents, moving up two weight classes never works out. I know that Davis has had a few fights at 135 (even still holds a belt there), but he's essentially a junior lightweight, and not a big one at that. He's a short armed 5'5 former featherweight. For comparison, the top fighters at 140, Josh Taylor and Jose Ramirez, are 5'10. Mario Barrios is 5'10. Davis is not a superelite, A+ type of fighter who can consistently overcome a 5 inch height and reach disadvantage. Additionally, 130-135 has a slew of potential big fights for Davis: Ryan Garcia, Shakur Stevenson, Oscar Valdez, Devin Haney, Teofimo Lopez, Vasyl Lomachenko, etc.

How does this not boil down to, for a twitter troll, anything other than "he's ducking Ryan Garcia" ?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

god drat finally

GalacticAcid posted:

Tank jumping to 140 just seems genuinely insane to me.

i mean if it’s hard to make weight, you’re crushing the competition, and there’s more money in a vacuum fighting at a higher weight class, i could see why

it’s still phenomenally stupid and if you’re having that much trouble making weight you should consider retiring, but still

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1368964218742013956

Somehow they will get 70K because Georgia doesn't give a gently caress

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The SituAsian posted:

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1368964218742013956

Somehow they will get 70K because Georgia doesn't give a gently caress

Amazing. I could drive down there and be in the crowd! Wow. I’ll be fully vaccinated by then too

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
drat thought Lopez was starting to pull ahead there before the knockdown

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The Jake Paul-Ben Askren card has been finalized. Regis Prograis vs Ivan Redkach and Antonio Tarver vs Frank Mir are official. A fight between some type of English business dude named Joe Fournier (who is 8-0 in pro boxing against absolute garbage) and Colombian reggaeton singer Reykon, who appears to have no prior amateur or pro fights to his name, rounds out the card.

EDIT: Regis Programs :laffo:

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 12, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Is this 52 year old man gonna whoop Frank Mir's rear end?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I need to see some mitt work to see where Tarver is at. If he's not at Chuck Liddell levels of CTE torpor, yeah, Mir gonna get it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Your underground headlines for the day:

Teofimo apparently got dropped hard twice in a sparring session with Jose Valenzuela, which is unexpected I guess.

Joseph Parker has been linked to an international meth ring by New Zealand police, which was quite unexpected to me

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

Teofimo apparently got dropped hard twice in a sparring session with Jose Valenzuela, which is unexpected I guess.

Joseph Parker has been linked to an international meth ring by New Zealand police, which was quite unexpected to me

I find the teofimo news hard to believe

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Jump King posted:

The Joseph Parker one had been rumoured for some time, and his name was the one mentioned when the idiots got busted. Even taking into account his limitations, I guess it does explain the sudden decline in Parker's performances as a boxer.

The best part is he was alleged to have used "joeboxerparker" as a username on social media apps to arrange the drug purchases.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/438234/joseph-parker-revealed-as-high-profile-sportsman-who-lost-two-year-name-suppression-fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

I find the teofimo news hard to believe

https://twitter.com/tom_cody_sp/status/1370064577052905472?s=21

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Noted poo poo stirrer Jose Benavidez. Mainly Junior but their whole family really.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What kinda camp would let a fighter get knocked out a second time?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Noted poo poo stirrer Jose Benavidez. Mainly Junior but their whole family really.

How could this happen to the Lopez family, famous for not being poo poo disturbers

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

What kinda camp would let a fighter get knocked out a second time?

i know if i were a trainer i would tell my young and upcoming guys to try and embarrass the person they want a shot at sparring with long term

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Jump King posted:

How could this happen to the Lopez family, famous for not being poo poo disturbers

Me, whenever something bad happens to the Lopez, Benavidez or Garcia families:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
So this Thriller Jake Paul Vs Askren just added a weird fight

10 - 0 (against cans) millionaire nightclub owner turned boxer vs reggaeton artist 'Reykon'...

Which seems utter madness, because this Reykon kiddie has 0 fight experience, and looks tiny in comparison. The beef started in a nightclub.

https://www.archyde.com/video-reykon-took-to-the-street-and-wanted-to-fight-a-boxer-for-a-woman/

Here is the only real English source I could find.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLzSmrVLBfc/

Video of it kicking off here ^

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Rest in power to one of the best to do it

https://twitter.com/PhotoAmy33/status/1370875405138231297

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
aw man. RIP

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This sucks. Will have to watch Hagler Hearns later in his honour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Man this chocolatito card has been great so far.