Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

sounds like you love Trump and want to give him a hug and kiss

Back to wrestling talk/raw reports please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I would no-sell the "Stunner" because Steve "Austin" Williams is a serial wife batterer, not from incompetence

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It was one of the worst jobs of taking the stunner ever.

Big Beef City posted:

I'm gonna get poo poo on for this.
*sigh*

I loving hate Trump. I hate the man and wish I'd never heard of him in my entire life and pray every day he's gone.

He was in his late 50's, 60's? or whatever? when being asked to sell a stunner in a business suit and has never done anything more athletic than swing a golf club, ever in his entire life.
I've thought he's been given a bad shake on that. I'd like to see you, average goon, sell it right now and look any better. Sure it looks like poo poo, but you're expecting an old, out of shape moron to flop and sell a multi-stage wrestling move. At least he tried to sell out. It's like the only thing I'll ever in my loving life give the man any semblance of credit for.

Trump wears a girdle which is why he stands really strange so I assume he can't bend over. He's probably wearing depends too.

Royal Updog posted:

Back in my schoolyard days we were obsessed with giving each other sharpshooters and figure-fours so I'm pretty solid on those

I was over at my friend's house one day watching WWF (probably late 80s) and his little brother is giving us poo poo for watching it when it's obviously fake. My friend put his little brother in a full nelson and the kid starting screaming his head off. We must have laughed for half an hour at that.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Linda McMahon took a better stunner than Trump and she's also an ancient ghoul.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Unpopular opinion but I hate HHH and think the only reason he got anywhere is that he slept his way into the inner circle.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bonzo posted:

Unpopular opinion but I hate HHH and think the only reason he got anywhere is that he slept his way into the inner circle.

Triple H slept with Chris Jericho? :v:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Big Beef City posted:

I've thought he's been given a bad shake on that. I'd like to see you, average goon, sell it right now and look any better. Sure it looks like poo poo, but you're expecting an old, out of shape moron to flop and sell a multi-stage wrestling move. At least he tried to sell out. It's like the only thing I'll ever in my loving life give the man any semblance of credit for.

Yeah, he's also in a ring filled with trash (it is an analogy), so he can't really jump up and take a big back bump even if he wanted to. It's no worse than a lot of terrible celebrity bumping they did in the "guest host" era. See:

- Ken Jeong appearing on Raw either drunk or in character for The Hangover whereupon both John Morrison and Jack Swagger both somehow fail to catch a tiny Korean man being thrown through the air (if someone could slow this down and set it to 'Gravity' by Sara Bareilles, that would be a great gift for me and exactly four other people)

- Steve-O and Chris Pontius bumping for Umaga in a way which gets slightly uncomfortable, as either no-one has taught them how to sell or they've just gotten shitfaced and ignored it, meaning that Umaga responds to them laughing and getting back up with doing stuff that's clearly just intended to actually hurt them and ultimately drops a full-force Jon Jones elbow on his head (now sober Steve-O talking about it here)

- Technically it doesn't count, but special credit to Dennis Miller for coming on and doing terrible right-wing standup to no reaction whatsoever, then making GBS threads on the crowd, then Edge immediately burying his routine in the next segment. I'm not sure how it feels to discover that you're too low-rent for a professional wrestling audience, but I guess there's always AM radio.

They don't do guest hosts any more.

FullLeatherJacket fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 1, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Bonzo posted:

I'm not a big Triple H fan, but I do like that he's easy to hate.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FullLeatherJacket posted:

- Technically it doesn't count, but special credit to Dennis Miller for coming on and doing terrible right-wing standup to no reaction whatsoever, then making GBS threads on the crowd, then Edge immediately burying his routine in the next segment. I'm not sure how it feels to discover that you're too low-rent for a professional wrestling audience, but I guess there's always AM radio.

Lmao

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man if you've got the Jackass guys on I figure that's exactly how anyone expects them to take bumps

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Bonzo posted:

I think it's more of a Jay-Z/Beyonce situation- definitely a political marriage, but mutually beneficial. (sad, because it means H can never be with his true love, Shawn Michaels)

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
re:celebrities

I give u Snooki

e: how the hell do I embed this

https://i.imgur.com/F2AA8FY.mp4

Cubone fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 1, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Snooki did a handspring back elbow which puts her in the top 50% of Wrestlemania celebs

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My favorite wrestling celebrity appearance was Stephen Amell. First of all because you could tell he actually enjoyed himself. Second, he looked small and out of shape compared to the wrestlers he interacted with, and he's a dude who basically sold the entire first season of Arrow based on his abs. It made you really respect the shape that wrestlers are in.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

People often sledge late 80s wrestlers for being lazy when a lot of them worked 300 days a year, did loads of press & maintained ludicrous Thundercats physiques

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

My favorite wrestling celebrity appearance was Stephen Amell. First of all because you could tell he actually enjoyed himself. Second, he looked small and out of shape compared to the wrestlers he interacted with, and he's a dude who basically sold the entire first season of Arrow based on his abs. It made you really respect the shape that wrestlers are in.

He was on that show American Ninja (or whatever) and it was amazing. He could be a super hero in real life based on the way he was performing.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

There's a surprisingly good documentary on the WWE app (and other places) about the Raw/Nitro showdown called The Monday Night War. For a WWE show it's surprisingly honest about how much WCW was kicking their asses for awhile.

It also makes me sad to see how many "bad" years of Raw I have left. poo poo, I thought I would have an upswing soon, but I forgot how long they kept the gimmick wrestlers going.

Here's a fun one: Name a career that hasn't had a WWE themed wrestler.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

A Fancy Hat posted:

Stephen Amell is a huge wrestling fan and he's now making a prestige drama about a wrestling company. Also if you liked his WWE appearance then you should check All In where he has a singles match against respected veteran Christopher Daniels where he puts himself through the wringer. Dude could easily be a legit talent if he wasn't in a much safer and better paid line of work

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Eclipse12 posted:

Here's a fun one: Name a career that hasn't had a WWE themed wrestler.

Technical support? Web developer? Hotel clerk?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cubone posted:

re:celebrities

I give u Snooki

e: how the hell do I embed this

https://i.imgur.com/F2AA8FY.mp4

Thats pretty good tbh

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Stephen Amell loving owns, and his parkour chase scene in the first episode sold me on a show that I was very skeptical about given that A) it was on the CW, and B) it advertised the series by having shirtless Stephen Amell. It was a :piss: moment in TV, and it only got better when they brought in Caity Lotz as Canary.

Also, TIL Mr. T was in the first WrestleMania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T5vzhfCXzM

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bonzo posted:

Probably not that unpopular, he's a good all-round main event wrestler as a foil for your big star but you can pretty much mark the curve where WWE starts to get bad again where Austin calls it quits and Rock goes off to become richer than god, so every show opens with a fifteen minute monologue from Triple H about how everyone except him sucks, a babyface comes out, Triple H explains that they suck, they feud for a month, and then Triple H beats them clean in the middle of the ring with his move. WWE will then later wonder why they have no marketable babyface stars other than John Cena, who had gradually become Poochie to the extent that the crowd booed John Cena and cheered the evil Russian who came to the ring in a tank.

He comes across well enough compared to the Hogans of the world, but he seems to have developed the idea over time that he's a modern-day Ric Flair and that everyone is on tenterhooks for his one match a year in the middle of a seven-hour show. He isn't. They aren't.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

FullLeatherJacket posted:

- Steve-O and Chris Pontius bumping for Umaga in a way which gets slightly uncomfortable, as either no-one has taught them how to sell or they've just gotten shitfaced and ignored it, meaning that Umaga responds to them laughing and getting back up with doing stuff that's clearly just intended to actually hurt them and ultimately drops a full-force Jon Jones elbow on his head (now sober Steve-O talking about it here)

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man if you've got the Jackass guys on I figure that's exactly how anyone expects them to take bumps

Yep. They knew how to bump, but no one told them to stay down and sell the moves...on Jackass, their reactions to doing a thing and getting hurt are to laugh and get up as quickly as they can. They did that..and it pissed Umaga off.

Rarity posted:

Snooki did a handspring back elbow which puts her in the top 50% of Wrestlemania celebs

Snooki and the Arrow guy were the only two celebs where I thought that if they wanted to, they could actually be pretty decent at wrestling.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Raw Report April 26, 1993

The night starts with D^2 Damien
Demento vs Mr. Perfect

Demento is speaking to the voices in his head and Mr. Perfect is like "sure dude, do your thing" and just kinda watches.

Camera man is down. Monday Night RAW! Uncooked! Uncut! UNCENSORED!

Mr. Perfect enjoys a nice sit.

Match goes back and forth until Mr. Perfect remembers he can do his special move, the "Perfectplex," at any time and win, so he does.

A kid reads an anti-drug essay on WWF Raw and the world implodes due to irony overload.

Oh poo poo! Undertaker appears from the darkness and growls "There's No Hope With Dope" and then the funeral march comes on. Ha ha ha, that was INCREDIBLE. This is why I do this, folks.

Bobby Heenan is doing some kinda marriage thing with audience members but I don't care and am still thinking about Undertaker and his PSA.

Luger enters with his trademark trauma blanket

We discover Lex Luger's dangerous forearm comes from it having a bunch of steel rods and screws inside following a motorcycle accident.

And here's Crush. Crush looks like a 'roided-out Uncle Joey.

"Lex Luger better Cut. It. Out."

Cool

Macho Man "Doing the thing count" +1. We're up to 7.

Good Lord, you can actually see some of the metal hardware pressing against Luger's skin from the inside. Can't get it in a picture though.

The match heats up so they cut to commerical, as they are wont to do.

As Luger works the back of Crush, I'm trying to workshop an REM "Orange Crush" joke but it just aint' coming together.

OH GEEZE. Crush has Luger in his patented head squeeze but gets distracted by Doink.

And then Doink #2 shows up and Luger seizes the opportunity to KO Crush.

Honestly, except for the nonsense with Doink, a really good match.

King of the Ring promos are starting!

Bob Backlund is screwed

Making his first Raw appearance is Mr. Hughes against Professional Loser Jason Knight. Is this Mr. Hughes's first appearance period?

Get it? Hughes? And he's big. Get it? GET IT?

Hughes's first match is interrupted so we can watch Heenan as HE watches Sir-Mix-a-Lot.

Some cowpokes are coming to WWF.

Shawn Michaels is NOT your boy toy.

Michaels will have a title match against Hacksaw Jim Duggan. "But why would he put his title on the line when he knows Mr. Perfect is out for him?!" That's why he's fighting Jim Duggan, dummy!

Michaels begins to insult NYC for no reason.

Michaels calls two off-camera fans gay. Now, in retaliation, the entire crowd is shouting "Shawn is gay!" and waiving limp wrists at him. UNCOOKED! UNCUT! UNCENSORED! UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR!

Announcers claim they're saying "Shawn is Great." Nice try.

Now Shawn Michaels claims Mr. Perfect is Grover from Sesame Street, because Grover lives in a trash can. This interview is a total trainwreck. And here comes Grover the Grouch himself, Mr. Perfect, who chases Michaels out of the ring.

Previously, on the weekend show, Bam Bam was abusing Sensational Sherri (WHY???) who is rescued by Tatanka, and either Bigelow is REALLY good at faking being hurt, or he REALLY got jacked up when Tatanka dropkicked him down some metal stairs.

Cut back to now, and Bigelow is backstage assaulting Tatanka. Man, this episode is really covering some ground. He starts cutting Tatanka's hair off??? What is even happening???

Oh good, we get a breather as Typhoon fights circus strongman Von Krus.

Fly, fatman, fly!

Episode wraps with Bobby the Brain helping a fan propose to his girlfriend on live TV. I think it was actually real and therefore kind of sweet.

I tell ya what, this episode was nuts, and it's worth seeing for yourself.

Eclipse12 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 2, 2021

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Eclipse12 posted:

I'll always include pictures, but maybe have fewer. Like limited to 10.

*posts over 30 photos in one Raw Report*

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Eclipse12 posted:

I like the photos. Good job Eclipse12!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Come on Mr Perfect, Grover from Sesame Street isn't the one who lives in a trash can!

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Eclipse12 posted:

Bless you goon sir

Your trip reports allow me to enjoy the best part of Raw (making fun of it) without the worst part of Raw (watching it).

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

quote:

Bob Backlund is screwed

Bob is one of those actually crazy old school guys. Someone had a story about staying in a motel room next to his and they kept hearing grunting and loud noises all night, so they thought he was getting laid. They asked him the next morning and he said he was just doing hundreds of hindu squats like every night.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The talk earlier of Trump badly taking the Stunner makes me think of this incident from a few years ago when WWE did their latest edition of Tough Enough. Tough Enough rarely ever works out because they want you to get invested in guys who aren't going to be good for at least a few years. Usually the more successful guys are the ones who appear in the contest, lose, vanish for a few years, then reappear down the line with enough seasoning.

Anyway, this one guy who I cannot remember the name of wins. He's on Raw in the ring with Steve Austin and Vince McMahon walks out. Vince welcomes him to the WWE and slaps the poo poo out of him. The guy sells it like a shotgun to the face. When he stumbles up, Austin hits him with a Stunner. He takes it well and goes down. So far so good.

Unfortunately for this guy, he's instructed to leave the arena. He does this by rolling out of the ring, landing on his feet, and casually high-fiving fans while walking off, as if he hadn't just taken one of the biggest legends' top move. Rather than crawling or stumbling around, he just goes, "Welp! That was fun!" and happily moseys up the ramp.

That was his last appearance on TV.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Eclipse12 posted:

I forget when RAW started lasting 2 hours but I hope it's during the attitude era for your sake

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MakaVillian posted:

I forget when RAW started lasting 2 hours but I hope it's during the attitude era for your sake

March 1997, so he has a long while.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I think at some point mid-90s it becomes every other week? At least for a while?

Gavok posted:

Anyway, this one guy who I cannot remember the name of wins. He's on Raw in the ring with Steve Austin and Vince McMahon walks out. Vince welcomes him to the WWE and slaps the poo poo out of him. The guy sells it like a shotgun to the face. When he stumbles up, Austin hits him with a Stunner. He takes it well and goes down. So far so good.

Unfortunately for this guy, he's instructed to leave the arena. He does this by rolling out of the ring, landing on his feet, and casually high-fiving fans while walking off, as if he hadn't just taken one of the biggest legends' top move. Rather than crawling or stumbling around, he just goes, "Welp! That was fun!" and happily moseys up the ramp.

That was his last appearance on TV.

That's hilarious and awful. Poor dummy.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Eclipse12 posted:

I think at some point mid-90s it becomes every other week? At least for a while?

You might be thinking of the taping schedule. They would do a live Raw on Monday, tape the next Raw on Tuesday, then start over two weeks later. AEW Dynamite has the same thing going on right now. Once WCW Nitro started, Bischoff would straight-up spoil the taped Raws to gently caress with them. This blew up in their face when Mankind won the title on a taped Raw.

You might also be thinking about the dog shows and tennis games that would preempt Raw on USA all the time. Turning on USA only to see tennis was soul crushing back in the day.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
man gently caress those dogs

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Gavok posted:

You might be thinking of the taping schedule. They would do a live Raw on Monday, tape the next Raw on Tuesday, then start over two weeks later. AEW Dynamite has the same thing going on right now. Once WCW Nitro started, Bischoff would straight-up spoil the taped Raws to gently caress with them. This blew up in their face when Mankind won the title on a taped Raw.

You might also be thinking about the dog shows and tennis games that would preempt Raw on USA all the time. Turning on USA only to see tennis was soul crushing back in the day.

Yeah, it could be any of those. I guess they didn't have the schedule control that Turner did.

As for the "spoilers," I just watched an episode of The Monday Night War that talked about it. That's hilarious! I almost never watched WCW so that was new me to me. And in the documentary Vince, of all people, was butthurt because it was a dirty move. I'm assuming WCW was paying to send people to the Raw tapings and then having them report back? It's weird because the WWF always touted Raw as live... did they just inconspicuously not use that term for the taped shows? Since I only watched Raw I didn't know that spoiling was a thing happening at the other company.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Also, is it safe to assume all the early 90s anti-drug PSAs came about because of the steroid scandal? Were they court-ordered? Or just trying to get some good PR?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Eclipse12 posted:

Yeah, it could be any of those. I guess they didn't have the schedule control that Turner did.

As for the "spoilers," I just watched an episode of The Monday Night War that talked about it. That's hilarious! I almost never watched WCW so that was new me to me. And in the documentary Vince, of all people, was butthurt because it was a dirty move. I'm assuming WCW was paying to send people to the Raw tapings and then having them report back? It's weird because the WWF always touted Raw as live... did they just inconspicuously not use that term for the taped shows? Since I only watched Raw I didn't know that spoiling was a thing happening at the other company.

I think they always wanted the tv audience to assume everything happened live.

Eclipse12 posted:

Also, is it safe to assume all the early 90s anti-drug PSAs came about because of the steroid scandal? Were they court-ordered? Or just trying to get some good PR?

Anti-drug poo poo was everywhere in the late 80s early 90s, I'm sure they were just joining the crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gavok you forgot to mention the greatest moment in Tough Enough history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Runl2i7pV-s