Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Dixon Chisholm posted:

There is no way this bill is anything but an affront to the memory of Floyd and all the other vitcims of police savagery.

I mean yeah, it's a bill to tell their families they need to accept and trust the cops that killed them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I thought it did though, only "man" was originally a neuter term for humans in general, then you had "wifeman" as the origin of "woman", while the since lost male version was "wehrman" ("fighting human", same root as Wehrmacht), but that's all vague memories from years ago so could be wrong.

You're obviously right about history though. I guess lots of people were confused by the Michael Jackson album

Yeah in my post I meant "man" as in the English word "man," when obviously the real etymology is more complex

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I thought it did though, only "man" was originally a neuter term for humans in general, then you had "wifeman" as the origin of "woman", while the since lost male version was "wehrman" ("fighting human", same root as Wehrmacht), but that's all vague memories from years ago so could be wrong.

You're obviously right about history though. I guess lots of people were confused by the Michael Jackson album

Joe Biden is actually being extremely woke and intersectional when he calls everyone "maaaaan!"

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/DailyCaller/status/1366499194073194500

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Majorian posted:

Joe Biden is actually being extremely woke and intersectional when he calls everyone "maaaaan!"

Joe Biden does not see race or gender

or much of anything anymore

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nicole Wallace, Claire McCaskill, and John Brennan. No idea who the third-from-the-left person is, but what a panel.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

loquacius posted:

Yeah in my post I meant "man" as in the English word "man," when obviously the real etymology is more complex

The Japanese writers of Dark Souls got it pretty correct with "Manus" as a primordial figure

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
how does Claire Mccaskill keep finding work

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Japanese writers of Dark Souls got it pretty correct with "Manus" as a primordial figure

well

that does actually just mean "hand"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

loquacius posted:

well

There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Majorian posted:

Nicole Wallace, Claire McCaskill, and John Brennan. No idea who the third-from-the-left person is, but what a panel.

She's a NYT reporter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Benner

Never heard of her, but I assume anyone at the NYT must be succ

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It's kinda funny how Manchin is going to utterly destroy Biden's presidency (and the near term future of the democratic party) with Biden cheering him on.

mcmagic has issued a correction as of 03:20 on Mar 2, 2021

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1366522692124426240

"Working" is doing a lot of work there Chuck.

What was his position on Ukraine in 2014?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

loquacius posted:

well

Sure, but it's also very close to Mannus from Tacitus

Though at that point they actually just be MST3K fans

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Mar 2, 2021

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mcmagic posted:

It's kinda funny how Manchin is going to utterly destroy Biden's presidency (and the near term future of the democratic party) with Biden cheering him on.

Stop you're making me like manchin

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ChrisSturr/status/1366572119656644609?s=19

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Katie Hill's impeccable judgment on matters of dating.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Reposting because this epic own has only aged better
https://twitter.com/BadSunAK/status/1352705825782042625

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

its incredible to think how long the gap between cuomo killing all those old people and journalist actually doing investigating lol. willa literally hooting about this more than 6+ months ago, or maybe longer, lmfao

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Reality Protester posted:

how does Claire Mccaskill keep finding work

media class is always desperate for inland provincials to repeat their own opinions back at them

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The loving dog account is unbanned and I wish I was banned, from living

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/jodikantor/status/1366559393521795072

Jeez.... Her face

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

don't read the replies

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Baby50s/status/1366560463484563461

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao no loving way

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

He looks like loving count dracula getting ready to bite her neck lol

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Dems, are bad?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

FUUUUUCK

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

gandlethorpe posted:

Lol if Cuomo's ego makes him point at Biden and how he got a pass

:pray:

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Fleetwood posted:

Dems, are bad?

Hey they have 1 or 2 people who don't want to do something, so its impossible to do anything to help anyone! What are you, a Putin Trump lover?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hobbesmaster posted:

I just started glancing through it, the first thing it does after the definition of terms is eliminate the federal death penalty for “deprivation of rights under color of law” resulting in a death.

the second thing it does eliminate qualified immunity so that’s good. unless it doesn’t actually do that

I doubt this is a blanket elimination, but QI is one of the main reasons police officers are rarely ever even brought to trial. So chipping away at that is good. Death Penalty is whatever, it's not like a police officer has ever had to worry about that.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

I just started glancing through it, the first thing it does after the definition of terms is eliminate the federal death penalty for “deprivation of rights under color of law” resulting in a death.

the second thing it does eliminate qualified immunity so that’s good. unless it doesn’t actually do that

imnal but

quote:

Section 242 of Title 18 makes it a crime for a person acting under color of any law to willfully deprive a person of a right or privilege protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States.
For the purpose of Section 242, acts under "color of law" include acts not only done by federal, state, or local officials within their lawful authority, but also acts done beyond the bounds of that official's lawful authority, if the acts are done while the official is purporting to or pretending to act in the performance of his/her official duties. Persons acting under color of law within the meaning of this statute include police officers, prisons guards and other law enforcement officials, as well as judges, care providers in public health facilities, and others who are acting as public officials. It is not necessary that the crime be motivated by animus toward the race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin of the victim.

The offense is punishable by a range of imprisonment up to a life term, or the death penalty, depending upon the circumstances of the crime, and the resulting injury, if any.
https://www.justice.gov/crt/deprivation-rights-under-color-law

idk maybe let's repeal the death penalty for cops being bastards after we repeal it for literally everything else

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1366545097953861632

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

She can't. The Biden administration is doing it. It's too bad Bernie isn't saying that.

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

eyes, ears, any kind of standards whatsoever

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol if Manchin and Sinema pull their support for the billl entirely now

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

well then do something about it ya big goof, jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

mcmagic posted:

She can't. The Biden administration is doing it. It's too bad Bernie isn't saying that.

it's so funny to be lied to your face. cucked bernie, biden, the lying news media... all in service of the bare fact that dems just don't want to do anything for their constituents.

i'm actually laughing