Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
The least I can hope is that at least the majority of people don't buy into the stupid facist bullshit that the ads and social media seem to push, but who knows. I enjoyed having a brief period of time after trump was gone that things might get better, but now I'm slowly ramping back up the paranoia to thinking that it's just a matter of time until another kristallnacht.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
You also get their music streaming service with YouTube Premium, that's the thing that makes it worth paying for to me.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

A Bad Poster posted:

You also get their music streaming service with YouTube Premium, that's the thing that makes it worth paying for to me.

Minimizing the app or locking my phone and still being able to listen is what sells me on it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Acebuckeye13 posted:

current event: gently caress every part of the state of arizona that is not federal or tribal land

On that topic:

https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/1366460180360224770

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/01/us/joe-biden-news#protests-by-native-americans-lead-to-a-delay-in-arizona-copper-mine-project

Looking like the Biden folks figured out a way to cancel the last-minute transfer: reject previously-approved paperwork and shove an indefinite hold on it!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

This is the March thread.

It’s gonna suck

Confirming. I turned older than i wanted to live today.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wasn’t March the longest month last year?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Cugel the Clever posted:

I've also heard from Twitter that some of the mobile games advertised are "fake"? I don't get what exactly that means or why anyone would get so far as to discover that as the ads are aggressively "Look how loving stupid this game is!"

99% of the time when you see an advert for a puzzle game, the "game" being displayed in the ad is utterly unrelated to the game that's actually being sold. In most cases, the puzzle game shown in the advertisement just straight up does not exist; it's just some advertising company's mockup for a game.

The process is:
* Make a game that's not blatantly lovely -- doesn't have to be great, just good enough to sell on a mobile store and pass muster from Apple / Android App Store reviewers
* Hire ad agencies to make a million ads, none of which have to do with the game at all
* Use algorithmic audience targeting on Google/Facebook/etc. to randomly try a million ads, and fund the ones that bring in the most clicks
* Your app gets a million downloads and shoots to the top of the app store, even if 99% of those downloads end up not buying anything because your game is nothing like what was advertised

There's a Russian company called Playrix that's particularly famous for this -- they make a bunch of lovely match-3 Candy Crush clones, but advertise those games using those lovely ads for non-existent puzzle games about pulling out pins to release various fluids and get to treasure. (Some of which feature characters that are retraced Family Guy art.) And they're making _billions_ from it.

e: Of course, part of it too is that people are astoundingly dumb, and will just randomly download stuff and click things for little bursts of dopamine.

A few years ago, some bored devs wrote a bot to randomly generate slot machine games. They made a slot machine game in Unity with a bunch of placeholders for reel images, machine picture, etc. Then they wrote a bot would randomly pick a theme phrase and scrape Google/Bing for images with that phrase, and use them to fill in those placeholders. Another bot would compile the project to get an APK, fill out a form on Google Play Store, and upload it. So, this was literally bot-generated garbage (one of the generated apps was "3D Tremendous Face Pain Slots") and they were generating and uploading 15 of these a day. And people would actually download the trash, play it, and click the loving banner ads.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 1, 2021

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

boop the snoot posted:

It sure felt like it.

I just remember some tweet towards the end of last march that said we were still in the same month where the Dem Primary had five candidates running for the first week.

brains
May 12, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also YouTube. I remember reading how many of those in the far right Brazil government got their start with video rants. Even now dunno why YouTube thinks my watch history of Mario 3 speedrun progress means I want to watch charlie kirk ads.

I recall someone did an experiment where they set up a computer and YouTube profile from scratch with zero history and began watching the most benign possible animal videos. It didn't take long for far right video recommendations to start appearing.

you think that's bad, start from a blank account and play some made-for-kids videos. see how long that takes to turn into a loving insane nightmare factory.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Camrath posted:

Edit: Apologies, this went in completely the wrong thread!

SA does this now and then. Blame radium

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ullerrm posted:

99% of the time when you see an advert for a puzzle game, the "game" being displayed in the ad is utterly unrelated to the game that's actually being sold. In most cases, the puzzle game shown in the advertisement just straight up does not exist; it's just some advertising company's mockup for a game.

The process is:
* Make a game that's not blatantly lovely -- doesn't have to be great, just good enough to sell on a mobile store and pass muster from Apple / Android App Store reviewers
* Hire ad agencies to make a million ads, none of which have to do with the game at all
* Use algorithmic audience targeting on Google/Facebook/etc. to randomly try a million ads, and fund the ones that bring in the most clicks
* Your app gets a million downloads and shoots to the top of the app store, even if 99% of those downloads end up not buying anything because your game is nothing like what was advertised

There's a Russian company called Playrix that's particularly famous for this -- they make a bunch of lovely match-3 Candy Crush clones, but advertise those games using those lovely ads for non-existent puzzle games about pulling out pins to release various fluids and get to treasure. (Some of which feature characters that are retraced Family Guy art.) And they're making _billions_ from it.

e: Of course, part of it too is that people are astoundingly dumb, and will just randomly download stuff and click things for little bursts of dopamine.

A few years ago, some bored devs wrote a bot to randomly generate slot machine games. They made a slot machine game in Unity with a bunch of placeholders for reel images, machine picture, etc. Then they wrote a bot would randomly pick a theme phrase and scrape Google/Bing for images with that phrase, and use them to fill in those placeholders. Another bot would compile the project to get an APK, fill out a form on Google Play Store, and upload it. So, this was literally bot-generated garbage (one of the generated apps was "3D Tremendous Face Pain Slots") and they were generating and uploading 15 of these a day. And people would actually download the trash, play it, and click the loving banner ads.

Dentist simulators come from this.

I have to believe this.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/1366517360673386501

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Duh

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Pine Cone Jones posted:

The least I can hope is that at least the majority of people don't buy into the stupid facist bullshit that the ads and social media seem to push, but who knows. I enjoyed having a brief period of time after trump was gone that things might get better, but now I'm slowly ramping back up the paranoia to thinking that it's just a matter of time until another kristallnacht.

https://twitter.com/judiciarygop/status/1366498209498071040?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

boop the snoot posted:

Followed closely by november

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Guess boy rape isn't worth speaking out about for Jim but mythical "cancel culture" is

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Gonna be real surprising once SomethingAwful has to reverse all these permabans and refund a bunch of 10$'s

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

what about why 500k americans have been cancelled by corona, way more than any other country in the world?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

what about why 500k americans have been cancelled by corona, way more than any other country in the world?

Antifa did it

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
While the COVID CRISIS the DEMOCRATS decided to exploit is a tragedy, is it really worse than the FUTURE of OUR NATION and that our FREEDOMS OF SPEECH are being CANCELLED because you can't even call employees at a restaurant the N word and have it go viral without being CANCELED from your JOB?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
aaaaaaand this one's not gonna fly

https://twitter.com/JanNWolfe/status/1366523774238150661

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Narrator: it flew

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

In the wake of the GOP in Georgia getting owned at the federal level, their salty asses are gonna make it more annoying to vote with a new bill they've passed

quote:

-Limits Sunday voting to one optional Sunday in each county
-Reduces ballot drop boxes by requiring them to be located inside early voting locations
-Requires a driver’s license number, state ID number or copy of photo ID to vote absentee
-Sets a deadline to request absentee ballots 11 days before election day
-Disqualifies provisional ballots cast in the wrong precinct
-Bans outside funding of elections from nonprofit organizations
-Prohibits governments from mailing unsolicited absentee ballot applications
-Creates instant-runoff voting for military and overseas voters
-Schedules runoffs four weeks after election day rather than the current nine weeks
-Prevents free food and drinks for voters waiting in line to vote
-Restricts early voting buses to emergencies

Even worse than the above, the GA Senate is pondering adding on to that list by restricting absentee voting to 65+, Disabled, or out of town, when it used to be you could just get one by filling out a thing online or sending in a request.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/georgia-house-to-vote-on-election-restrictions-amid-staunch-opposition/46SNHMIYGZGMZDG5KLGHAB6NQ4/

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
When the gently caress is DeJoy going to get the boot?

The USPS loving blows right now. I had a thing ship from Texas right as the winter storm hit. This is obviously going to cause delays. I get that. The thing disappears for 9 days. It was "In transit to the next facility" from the 14th until it appeared in Denver. Maybe they had a guy walk it there?

I'm resending it to someone and there's a letter I want to include with it. I decide that it may just be lost and send them the letter last week. I mail it out Monday. The package shows up Wednesday. I ship it with UPS ground on Thursday. It arrives today. Before the loving letter I mailed a week ago. How???

e: This isn't the first time I've just had poo poo disappear for over a week when being shipped by USPS either. I flat out won't use them to ship anything any more.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 2, 2021

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Amazon parcels have priority in the postal system, so when there is any sort of problem all of the available throughput goes to the prime boxes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

If you’re shocked that the president of the United States got the coronavirus vaccine then you must be having a rough time in today’s world because it gets way more shocking than that

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

My understanding is that it's in the Senate's hands right now for scheduling Biden's board picks. Biden's picks would shift the board to 5-4 Democrat, but in true democrats.txt fashion, one of those Democrats voted for DeJoy back in April, and some House Democrats are all like WE CAN CUT A DEAL TO FIX THINGS with DeJoy.

So USPS is still hosed until summertime, probably.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/gina_scooter/st...ingawful.com%2F

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Cuomo's a sex pest and there's a picture of his sex pesting.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1366556713848107016

It's his third accused pesting and just goes to show that the pesting doesn't usually happen just once.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/01/politics/fact-check-psaki-sanctions-saudi-crown-prince/index.html

There has not been sanctions against foreign leaders.

Well, we don't usually sanction foreign leaders.

Well, we don't usually do it to nuclear adversaries and strategic allies.

GB3Pwood
Sep 13, 2004
Insult Swordfighter

fknlo posted:

The USPS loving blows right now. I had a thing ship from Texas right as the winter storm hit. This is obviously going to cause delays. I get that. The thing disappears for 9 days. It was "In transit to the next facility" from the 14th until it appeared in Denver. Maybe they had a guy walk it there?

I'm resending it to someone and there's a letter I want to include with it. I decide that it may just be lost and send them the letter last week. I mail it out Monday. The package shows up Wednesday. I ship it with UPS ground on Thursday. It arrives today. Before the loving letter I mailed a week ago. How???

e: This isn't the first time I've just had poo poo disappear for over a week when being shipped by USPS either. I flat out won't use them to ship anything any more.

A week ago on Monday, I found a package on top of our apartment's outside mailbox. A little strange, since they usually go inside the box or to individual entrances. It was addressed to a guy a quarter mile away on a different street.

I was just going to walk it down, no muss no fuss, but it was a plastic bag from the VA hospital with what clearly felt like a pill bottle. I took a picture, dropped it off at the address, and made a complaint to USPS. I had a missed call from a local number the next day, no voicemail. The day after that, I got a survey link through my email asking how satisfied I was with the complaint resolution.

The latest:
"Awaiting Delivery Scan
The delivery status of your item has not been updated as of February 21, 2021, 1:55 am. We apologize that it may arrive later than expected."

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Cuomo's a sex pest and there's a picture of his sex pesting.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1366556713848107016

It's his third accused pesting and just goes to show that the pesting doesn't usually happen just once.

He's been a huge creep his whole life. I don't get why it's only mattering for him now.

It felt incredibly gross last year when he was liberal hero number one while his death rate was through the roof.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's one of the most uncomfortable pictures I've ever seen.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its a shame Dems left #metoo dead in a ditch to protect Joe Biden

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its a shame Dems left #metoo dead in a ditch to protect Joe Biden after drowning Al Franken

FTFY

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Godholio posted:

That's one of the most uncomfortable pictures I've ever seen.

:same:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Since when has Donald John Trump ever turned down anything *free*, especially when his getting it makes him MORE SPECIALER than others?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bravo squad, bravo squad, we have a 20 on Subject BOFA, repeat we have 20 on BOFA

https://mobile.twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1366453670750146563?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 2, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Uhhh... I'm not sure if you intend that as dismissive of the allegations against Franken, but I've seen enough complaints from left/progressive circles, then and since, asserting it was an establishment-manufactured controversy to oust Franken, so I'll just reiterate that a number of women came forward with allegations of misconduct that were broadly accepted as credible and his resignation was warranted. None of it was on the level of preying on 14-year-olds at a mall, but it was still unacceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its a shame Dems left #metoo dead in a ditch to protect Joe Biden

Americans hate women