Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the turian city getting bombed by an engine core

Do you want Biotics?

Because THAT'S how you get Biotics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pattonesque posted:

Cerberus Daily News ruled, had some real cool stories there and I loved seeing what each day's update would be. They kept it up for like the better part of a year IIRC

it was for a whole year and than like 2 separate months in the following and right before 3 release. i just love all the stories and how real they feel. like how like 2 weeks are dedicated to disaster recovering from a terror attack and poo poo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it was for a whole year and than like 2 separate months in the following and right before 3 release. i just love all the stories and how real they feel. like how like 2 weeks are dedicated to disaster recovering from a terror attack and poo poo.

get whoever wrote that to come up with quests honestly, that poo poo ruled. remember the gigantic alien spaceship that turned out to house a virtual civilization?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

get whoever wrote that to come up with quests honestly, that poo poo ruled. remember the gigantic alien spaceship that turned out to house a virtual civilization?

yeah, the entire universe is dope and outside the reaper poo poo, it seems like it would be a nice place to live, at the very least its basicaly now but better healthcare and you boss and co-workers and possibly SO are aliens

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, the entire universe is dope and outside the reaper poo poo, it seems like it would be a nice place to live, at the very least its basicaly now but better healthcare and you boss and co-workers and possibly SO are aliens

they've got krogan playing football though so that seems unfair to you if you wanted to make the NFL

probably tough to tackle a dude who weighs 800 pounds and has armored legs and no real risk of concussion

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Ehh. There's a lot about it that sucks. Not in, like, a grimdark dystopian way, but in the way that right now sucks. Politics don't seem to work for anyone except people who already have power, there are huge swathes of the galaxy given over to violence and corruption which even Garrus and his buddies can't clean up, Council species all seem to be morally compromised to one degree or another, and the krogan/Council races conflict, the geth/quarian conflict, and to a lesser extent even the human/batarian conflict point to widespread systemic inequality, etc. Would it be cooler to live then than now? Yeah, probably. But for civilization expanding to a galactic scale, if you woke up there tomorrow there's a lot of dynamics that wouldn't need fresh introductions.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

they've got krogan playing football though so that seems unfair to you if you wanted to make the NFL

probably tough to tackle a dude who weighs 800 pounds and has armored legs and no real risk of concussion

yeah, id watch giant lizard men do violent pro sports. "GFL football tackle Urdnot "Slam" Grock has fight during childs make a wish, several injured"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

HaitianDivorce posted:

Ehh. There's a lot about it that sucks. Not in, like, a grimdark dystopian way, but in the way that right now sucks. Politics don't seem to work for anyone except people who already have power, there are huge swathes of the galaxy given over to violence and corruption which even Garrus and his buddies can't clean up, Council species all seem to be morally compromised to one degree or another, and the krogan/Council races conflict, the geth/quarian conflict, and to a lesser extent even the human/batarian conflict point to widespread systemic inequality, etc. Would it be cooler to live then than now? Yeah, probably. But for civilization expanding to a galactic scale, if you woke up there tomorrow there's a lot of dynamics that wouldn't need fresh introductions.

yeah. like its not star trek levels of wanting to live there, but honestly compared to the other stuff i read including star wars, id probably rather live there and hope for the best.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

HaitianDivorce posted:

plus if you visit Ilium you might accidentally sign yourself over to definitely-not-slavery

and space pirates are a thing. that's pretty bad. If you live on a colony you might get raided and that's real bad

you might run across something from an alien culture that you can't avoid that'll kill the poo poo out of you. ardat-yakshi or a justicar or something.

all kinds of hosed-up diseases too

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, id watch giant lizard men do violent pro sports. "GFL football tackle Urdnot "Slam" Grock has fight during childs make a wish, several injured"

there was a very cool CDN story about a human biotiball team who very nearly beat a dynasty-level asari team who'd all been playing for centuries. very cool worldbuilding poo poo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Being a human colonist in particular seems to be a hell of a gamble. They have a couple well developed core colonies like the planet you visit for Kasumi's loyalty mission, but even ignoring the collector bullshit most of them amount to a little pre-fab town on a planet way too close to Batarian space because that's the only area the council will give humans colony rights, and you're lucky if the Alliance sends a frigate round once every couple months to pretend they care about defending you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

Being a human colonist in particular seems to be a hell of a gamble. They have a couple well developed core colonies like the planet you visit for Kasumi's loyalty mission, but even ignoring the collector bullshit most of them amount to a little pre-fab town on a planet way too close to Batarian space because that's the only area the council will give humans colony rights, and you're lucky if the Alliance sends a frigate round once every couple months to pretend they care about defending you.

Beckenstein always bothered me because it’s within an FTL jump of and only accessible through the Citadel relay in the Widow system, which means it couldn’t have been colonized any earlier than like 30 years before ME1 when humans discovered mass relay technology. And yet it’s like this fully developed metropolis planet. I mean, it could be plausible with future construction tech, given how places like Taipei went from a fishing village to a sea of sky scrapers in 50 years here in the real world. But still...

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
beckenstein is explicitly stated to be a planet that humanity built up quickly due to its prime location as a manufacturing, industrial and trading hub

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Weirder than how quickly humanity built the planet up is that such a prime potential colony candidate so close to the Citadel hadn't already been snapped up in the millennia prior to humanity showing up to the table.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
They were saving it for us

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Humans saw the potential in ruthlessly exploiting planetary resources on a scale and intensity beyond galactic expectations. That fits.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Also Citadel races were careful about opening new relays on account of Here Be Monsters

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

Also Citadel races were careful about opening new relays on account of Here Be Monsters

And yet the Council was all :turianass: when it came time to put up or shut up on the monsters turning out to be real...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

And yet the Council was all :turianass: when it came time to put up or shut up on the monsters turning out to be real...

true but hasnt it been like 1000 years since the rachni? the biggest things that happened were the quarians loving up with the geth and getting marginalized because of it and humans showing up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true but hasnt it been like 1000 years since the rachni? the biggest things that happened were the quarians loving up with the geth and getting marginalized because of it and humans showing up.

Didn't stop them from trying to kill the gently caress out of the humans when they encountered them opening a relay, they only stopped once they realized the humans were big enough to put up a fight.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Didn't stop them from trying to kill the gently caress out of the humans when they encountered them opening a relay, they only stopped once they realized the humans were big enough to put up a fight.

only because the humans shot back and hosed up their patrol fleet. thats the turians being turians, mother fuckers have legit death squads when they fight wars.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last full playthrough I did I tried to play a bad person gently caress-up Shepard but could only keep it up for the first game before falling straight back into "save everybody, help everybody" mode for the rest of the games.

That said, there is a kind of horrible joy to be had from having the showdown with Wrex, refusing to shoot so that Ashley does it for you, then chew her out for doing it, then leaving her to die on Virmire as punishment for being a trigger-happy space racist :getin:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Last full playthrough I did I tried to play a bad person gently caress-up Shepard but could only keep it up for the first game before falling straight back into "save everybody, help everybody" mode for the rest of the games.

That said, there is a kind of horrible joy to be had from having the showdown with Wrex, refusing to shoot so that Ashley does it for you, then chew her out for doing it, then leaving her to die on Virmire as punishment for being a trigger-happy space racist :getin:

yeah. i can rarely play a full bad playthrough of any game. like its one thing to rengade with shooting clearly armed mercs or krogan or whatever. but alot of the big choices just feel heartless and or short sighted.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
And yet I always punch the reporter

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

The ultimate ME1 rear end in a top hat Shep run would be to do all of that, but also browbeat Ash so she gets over her space racism and becomes a better person while simultaneously corrupting Kaidan into becoming a space racist in her place, then blowing her up on Virmire as her ultimate redemption while Kaidan lives on and helps make the galaxy a worse place in whatever way he can because he's a shithead now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The ultimate ME1 rear end in a top hat Shep run would be to do all of that, but also browbeat Ash so she gets over her space racism and becomes a better person while simultaneously corrupting Kaidan into becoming a space racist in her place, then blowing her up on Virmire as her ultimate redemption while Kaidan lives on and helps make the galaxy a worse place in whatever way he can because he's a shithead now.

i just don't care for either. ashley is ok and her becoming a better person is a nice arc but thats about it. Kaiden is just carth except nicer and less depressed because he doesnt have dead wife and or some dumbass son.

honestly, i think the only good romances in the series is liara, tali and garrus and jack.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Simone Magus posted:

And yet I always punch the reporter

Ironically even when playing idiot gently caress-up Shepard I still wouldn't punch the reporter. I never got that being an option, it's such a completely crazy and over-the-top thing to do that makes zero sense for somebody in Shepard's position to ever even consider.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Playing through ME1 a lot of the renegade choices are Shepard just executing the gently caress out of NPCs who no longer pose a threat and it feels super gross tbh.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The only acceptable reporter punching path is to accept your fate in ME3 instead of taking that cowardly, scene ruining renegade interrupt

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I kind of wish that was the reporter who joined in 3 instead of whats her face. Then you get an option to either romance her or space her.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
They did Emily Wong dirty by killing her off between games instead of letting her have the role IGN lady took

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

They did Emily Wong dirty by killing her off between games instead of letting her have the role IGN lady took

Not only that, they killed her off on Twitter, no less. That said, Dianna Allers in retrospect isn't THAT bad of a character and Jessica Chobot actually nails a couple of key lines as the character ("Remind me to tell you about the time I made an Elcor cry"), but there is this inescapable feeling of "this was probably supposed to be Emily Wong and got changed because BioWare wanted to buy a 9/10 from IGN" and it's still pretty scummy on its surface.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Not gonna lie even in full paragon runs when Shepard runs into Conrad up to his same loving poo poo again in ME2, despite all the work Shepard put in during the first game to dissuade him, I put a bullet in his foot.

Hale is usually better but Meer absolutely nails "Conrad, let me make this perfectly clear... this is not acceptable."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Not only that, they killed her off on Twitter, no less. That said, Dianna Allers in retrospect isn't THAT bad of a character and Jessica Chobot actually nails a couple of key lines as the character ("Remind me to tell you about the time I made an Elcor cry"), but there is this inescapable feeling of "this was probably supposed to be Emily Wong and got changed because BioWare wanted to buy a 9/10 from IGN" and it's still pretty scummy on its surface.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You made me check

(I tend to give media outlets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to reviews)

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Games that let you do a full 'evil playthrough' and accommodate you becoming the villain of the story can be fun, but I don't think Mass Effect is one of them. If you only choose renegade options 100% of the time you end up with this dissonance where everyone around you is constantly calling you a hero, all while you're acting like an erratic psychopath.

Fallout: New Vegas is the game I remember evil playthroughs working best in, since you can just decide from the beginning "My character is a self-serving mercenary/assassin" and the game never says or does anything to contradict that. I remember The Temple of Elemental Evil with a neutral evil party being fun too. Games that start out with more of a murder-hobo vibe than a save-the-world narrative.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You can be a real monster in the original Kotor

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

You can be a real monster in the original Kotor

That’s part of Star Wars though.

The only problem is how dumb it is if you’re dark side by the time you become a Jedi and they let you do it anyway?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

nine-gear crow posted:

Outside of James who's a party member which is needed in case you did get people killed, she's probably the character new to 3 who gets the most focus that wasn't DLC, and took a spot that a few other characters could have taken, so really she was doomed from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s part of Star Wars though.

The only problem is how dumb it is if you’re dark side by the time you become a Jedi and they let you do it anyway?

Or that you can play 100% light side exemplar and flip to The Most Evil Motherfucker Ever with literally one dialog choice at the end of the game.