Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dabir posted:

If I remember right, in formal logic a thing is automatically like itself.

The set of rogue likes is poorly defined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

This is like asking if Jesus was a Christian

Dunno about that but he built my hot rod.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't think the Messiah is enough of a narcissist to be a follower of himself.

That's why Christians aren't called Jesus-likes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dabir posted:

That's why Christians aren't called Jesus-likes.

:golfclap:

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Bottom Liner posted:

I think you're confusing lite and like buddy

No, look. Obviously not. RogueLITES differentiate from rogueLIKES in that they take some of the most crucial defining aspects of the latter- the procedural generation, the permadeath- and combine them with other genres more removed from the turn based dungeon crawler. That's all that is required to distinguish the two, and metaprogression can be present in either. Now hold still while I wind up my rear end-devastating windmill chop.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Poguelikes AKA Flogging Molly

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If only someone took the commonalities between roguelike and lite and created a new umbrella term, a type of genre name perhaps. . .

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

:vince:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

hatty posted:

If only someone took the commonalities between roguelike and lite and created a new umbrella term, a type of genre name perhaps. . .

"Indie garbage"

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

Dabir posted:

"Metroidvania" was coined as a derogatory term for SotN by a disgruntled Castlevania fan. True story.

This is why they’re called Castroids.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

hatty posted:

Roguelitelikes.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
A roguelike is a game that contains a shopkeeper you can rob. This is the common trait that defines games like NetHack, the Mystery Dungeon series or Spelunky. It’s important to keep this straight so you remember that Dungeon Crawl is not a roguelike, unlike Hades or Link’s Awakening.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

You can rob the shopkeeper in Hades, sometimes. Not a good idea though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I saw Flogging Molly once. They weren't good. LIke a roguelike.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I saw Flogging Molly once. They weren't good. LIke a roguelike.
Everyone's first run is like that. Then you get some meta-progression going; knowing where to stand, when to go to the bathroom, how to sneak in booze (ie steal from the shopkeeper) and suddenly you're going to your 100th Flogging Molly concert in a row and are hopelessly addicted

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

More flip grip talk. If you all were going to pick one showcase game for it, whether it be one stand alone or compilation, what would it be? Currently I have Downwell and the Capcom demo. I love it as an idea, I just don’t have the available funds to buy every game they list as compatible. Is Ikuruga a good starting point and worth it at $15?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

:lol: at the idea a clusterfuck like Xenogears is anywhere near as good as Fallout 2 or Baldur's Gate. I know that game has a cult following but come on.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

whats the problem?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

loudog999 posted:

More flip grip talk. If you all were going to pick one showcase game for it, whether it be one stand alone or compilation, what would it be? Currently I have Downwell and the Capcom demo. I love it as an idea, I just don’t have the available funds to buy every game they list as compatible. Is Ikuruga a good starting point and worth it at $15?

Groove Coaster if you like music games.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

whats the problem?
some helpless children might be misled about the state of video gaming in 1998

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
1997 was better

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

loudog999 posted:

I like PinballFX3 and I think you can download it for free and play a couple of starter tables. It looks vastly better in vertical mode.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Doom table best table

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chaotic Flame posted:

Can you share the music theory analysis?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeZLO2VgbZHeDcongKzzfOw

I only watched the one on the leitmotifs in Hollow Knight which I think was the last one in the series but that's 'cause I'd watched like 4 other videos first and I'm usually not a video-watcher.

It was awesome. The music informs the plot.

Now I'm watching the other ones instead of doing my chores. I blame you.

Other activities delayed due to Bravely Default II.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I like PinballFX3 and I think you can download it for free and play a couple of starter tables. It looks vastly better in vertical mode.

I will take a look.

Midjack posted:

Groove Coaster if you like music games.

I do and will check it out.

So Ikaruga? Not worth it?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Demon's Tilt is on sale right now and it supports flip grip based off a quick google search. I'm not a big pinball guy but I bought it after Yoku's Island Express to keep that pinball high going.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Evil Fluffy posted:

:lol: at the idea a clusterfuck like Xenogears is anywhere near as good as Fallout 2 or Baldur's Gate. I know that game has a cult following but come on.

The first disc of Xenogears is better than the first five discs of Baldur's Gate

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Is there a metroid prime randomiser? That’d rule

Yes there is, and it's fun.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Social Animal posted:

Demon's Tilt is on sale right now and it supports flip grip based off a quick google search. I'm not a big pinball guy but I bought it after Yoku's Island Express to keep that pinball high going.

Perfect, these are exactly the types of recommendations I am looking for. Thank you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

loudog999 posted:

So Ikaruga? Not worth it?

If you're super into bullet hells and haven't played it yet then yeah, it's a good port of a good game to this casual fan. If you've already played it or aren't a superfan wait for it to go on sale, it hits :10bux: every few months.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lol yeah it's much better

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Midjack posted:

If you're super into bullet hells and haven't played it yet then yeah, it's a good port of a good game to this casual fan. If you've already played it or aren't a superfan wait for it to go on sale, it hits :10bux: every few months.

Its only $15 full price so Im not waiting until a sale. I think Ill pick it up tonight. The Flip
grip is similar to an official Nintendo peripheral in that it gets me super hyped for anything that supports it, then they sit on the shelve fore years with no use until they totally explode in price. Im totally basing this off the 3 bongos i have sitting in the corner of my room.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

AD&D 2e was rear end, and it wasn't until Planescape that it was playable as a game, when Black Isle got rid of dice rolls for non-combat events, and used an automatic success if your skill/stat was high enough.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Zurtilik posted:

I mean thats the real thing is that the Switch is still doing very well. But also even games designed explicitly for it are starting to show some cracks, which makes me wonder if it really has like 4 more years of longevity to it.

I'm not going to be mad if it lives to 2025 or whatever, I just hope it doesn't end up overstating it's welcome like the Wii ended up doing though.

The Wii "overstayed it's welcome" because Nintendo's support for the console declined after 2010 and the systems lack of power was more concerning due to SD console in an HD world is far more noticeable than an HD one in a 4K world, as well as many genres still needed power beyond 2001 tech to function.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Social Animal posted:

Demon's Tilt is awesome, annoying that there's no way to just set it to a static fully zoomed out view though. I figure cause it'd be pretty tiny but still, basically killed any desire to rotate my computer screen for it. In any case, still better rotated in the Flip Grip vs not.

loudog999 posted:

Its only $15 full price so Im not waiting until a sale. I think Ill pick it up tonight. The Flip
grip is similar to an official Nintendo peripheral in that it gets me super hyped for anything that supports it, then they sit on the shelve fore years with no use until they totally explode in price. Im totally basing this off the 3 bongos i have sitting in the corner of my room.
It's still one of the nicest looking shmups so should work as a showcase. Crimzon Clover is insane so that works too. For more just go back up the thread a bit.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Like Like

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dip Viscous posted:

The popularity of Rouge Squadron around the turn of the century tells all.

Oh yeah I remember that game, I think it was like some sort of beauty shop set on Tatooine or something. Seems like a pretty poor business decision, the Jawa and sand people hide their faces so what would they need makeup for?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Same. I was lucky to have read the post as no one was in the hall near my office because I burst out laughing.

So, would shmups like Space Harrier and Star Fox, where you move forward through a 3D-environment, then be "shmords"?

Libluini fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 2, 2021

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Has anybody played Adonyne 2? It looks weird enough but steals from specific enough sources that I think I might really be into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

loudog999 posted:

The arcade versions of Punch Out!!! and Super Punch Out!!! are perfect for the flip grip. :)