Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCyGIJl1XUA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ratbazterd/status/1365734175823847435?s=20

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
real humaaaan beeing

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JordanRasko/status/1365984455098175495?s=20

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

nah the comics, he rebooted them after very successful runs (like the avengers and x-men had wakanda tie-ins) and now they're both some of the lowest selling comics marvel puts out.

Coates is bad, but also the kind of bad where it's basically impossible for him to understand why he's bad

Cornell West has the scoop on this: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/17/ta-nehisi-coates-neoliberal-black-struggle-cornel-west

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Coates is bad, but also the kind of bad where it's basically impossible for him to understand why he's bad

Cornell West has the scoop on this: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/17/ta-nehisi-coates-neoliberal-black-struggle-cornel-west

Pankaj Mishra also did a thing: https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v40/n04/pankaj-mishra/why-do-white-people-like-what-i-write

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

O_O

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I watched I Care A Lot on Netflix. holy poo poo how does this steaming pile of hot garbage have a 80% on RT. way to squander a great premise and cast with the most tonally confused script ive seen in years

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
The only good ongoing cape comic is Immortal Hulk

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

shame about the whole anti-semitism thing, lol that the artist said "i accidentally wrote 'Jewery' instead of 'Jewelry'. also my hand then slipped and drew a star of david."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

I watched I Care A Lot on Netflix. holy poo poo how does this steaming pile of hot garbage have a 80% on RT. way to squander a great premise and cast with the most tonally confused script ive seen in years

it's like it couldn't decide between making the protagonist a YAAAAS HASHTAG GIRLBOSS SLAY KWEEN and trying to make some incisive commentary on retirement homes and guardianship

the very end was marginally satisfying, but came way too late and was still presented as a tragedy anyway

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

babypolis posted:

I've convinced myself that streaming killing residuals has led to great talent having to work on way more projects, and those projects have zero effort in the writing, set design, lighting etc because everyone is there to pump out the content and then do it all over again since it's all forgettable

At best there's a good premise but it's never fleshed out or developed, just shoved out the door asap

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

josh04 posted:

shame about the whole anti-semitism thing, lol that the artist said "i accidentally wrote 'Jewery' instead of 'Jewelry'. also my hand then slipped and drew a star of david."

omg
https://www.comicsbeat.com/immortal-hulk-43-anti-semitism-controversy/

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's like it couldn't decide between making the protagonist a YAAAAS HASHTAG GIRLBOSS SLAY KWEEN and trying to make some incisive commentary on retirement homes and guardianship

the very end was marginally satisfying, but came way too late and was still presented as a tragedy anyway

I didn't see it like this at all. She was very obviously supposed to be an irredeemable monster from the start, and all that girlboss poo poo is just her using it as a tool to deflect attacks or gain an advantage. She as a character might even believe it, but I didn't get the feeling that the movie is portraying it as actually good.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah its loving bizarre. like am i supposed to feel sad when she dies? am i supposed to be angry because the guy called her a bitch? because i was clapping at that scene and celebrating the real hero of the movie

grate deceiver posted:

I didn't see it like this at all. She was very obviously supposed to be an irredeemable monster from the start, and all that girlboss poo poo is just her using it as a tool to deflect attacks or gain an advantage. She as a character might even believe it, but I didn't get the feeling that the movie is portraying it as actually good.

even if this is true you still have to endure 45 minutes of the movie treating an irredeemable monster as a cool badass you should be cheering for. the second half of the movie is just unwatchable

like usually you dont give characters you dont want the audience to sympathize a triumphant score, a bunch of cool badass moments, or a teary eyed, soft focus romance with a cute as gently caress eiza gonzalez (also another monster the movie wants us to cheer for)

babypolis has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Mar 1, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

babypolis posted:

yeah its loving bizarre. like am i supposed to feel sad when she dies? am i supposed to be angry because the guy called her a bitch? because i was clapping at that scene and celebrating the real hero of the movie

even if this is true you still have to endure 45 minutes of the movie treating an irredeemable monster as a cool badass you should be cheering for. the second half of the movie is just unwatchable

like usually you dont give characters you dont want the audience to sympathize a triumphant score, a bunch of cool badass moments, or a teary eyed, soft focus romance with a cute as gently caress eiza gonzalez (also another monster the movie wants us to cheer for)

I mean, I get it, and the movie certainly is not perfect, but to me it was obvious these badass moments are what she sees herself as, or what she wants to project. To a viewer, she pretty clearly made all the wrong decisions, and only succeeded because she a psychopath freak with a sole focus on getting what she wants.

Like cmon, the montage at the end, where she's staring at hundreds of photos of elderly people under her care, when we've seen how it actually looks like - in what world is that supposed to be triumphant to the viewer. The movie is portraying girlbossing, but it's trying to say that more female CEOs is maybe bad actually. The ending interview segment is pretty much hammering home how full of poo poo her and the media are.

It's not amazing or anything, but deffo a solid movie and not as libbrained imo as people want to think. The most lib thing about it is that she actually faces any sort of consequence at the end, because in reality that never happens.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

I mean, I get it, and the movie certainly is not perfect, but to me it was obvious these badass moments are what she sees herself as, or what she wants to project. To a viewer, she pretty clearly made all the wrong decisions, and only succeeded because she a psychopath freak with a sole focus on getting what she wants.

Like cmon, the montage at the end, where she's staring at hundreds of photos of elderly people under her care, when we've seen how it actually looks like - in what world is that supposed to be triumphant to the viewer. The movie is portraying girlbossing, but it's trying to say that more female CEOs is maybe bad actually. The ending interview segment is pretty much hammering home how full of poo poo her and the media are.

It's not amazing or anything, but deffo a solid movie and not as libbrained imo as people want to think. The most lib thing about it is that she actually faces any sort of consequence at the end, because in reality that never happens.

I dunno I just feel like if you have a movie where you have a tense scene where your protagonist is escaping from a near death situation, and instead of being stressed out or whatever, the only thought going through the audiences mind is GOD PLEASE DIE ALREADY, maybe you hosed up real badly somewhere along the way. I get what the movie is trying to say, kinda, but the tonal backlash is just way too intense and makes the movie miserable to watch

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You should watch chars counterattack instead

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Stairmaster posted:

You should watch chars counterattack instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9LQhyBYSeg

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

mastershakeman posted:

I've convinced myself that streaming killing residuals has led to great talent having to work on way more projects, and those projects have zero effort in the writing, set design, lighting etc because everyone is there to pump out the content and then do it all over again since it's all forgettable

At best there's a good premise but it's never fleshed out or developed, just shoved out the door asap

I've had this conversation recently with friends. There's a lot of stuff on streaming that just seems a little undercooked. The script needed a few more rounds of editing, the acting needed a few more takes, they really needed to do some scenes again, the whole thing could be tightened up. But presumably the economics don't allow for it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I've started reading Ministry for the Future. it begins in 2024 with a heat wave that kills 20 million Indians. owie wowie!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxKx-BBWX8Q

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

:barf:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S2l93Tr-U0

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq_0em57l7g

ArmedZombie has issued a correction as of 05:44 on Mar 2, 2021

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

I'm not watching this. I'm not even going to press the play button.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

bedpan posted:

I'm not watching this. I'm not even going to press the play button.

coward

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
is there some huge anti-drive animus on cspam that I don't know about? it wasn't a perfect movie but I thought it was pretty cool

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You should not watch princes of yen right before going to bed

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/maxtmcc/status/1366627502370742274

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nonathlon posted:

I've had this conversation recently with friends. There's a lot of stuff on streaming that just seems a little undercooked. The script needed a few more rounds of editing, the acting needed a few more takes, they really needed to do some scenes again, the whole thing could be tightened up. But presumably the economics don't allow for it

I feel that with the huge wave of new high-budget shows, more and more power is being taken out of the hands of the creators and writers in favor of producers feeding the algorithm. also you get a lot of green writers and directors who don’t know or can’t get what they want creatively and get rolled by the studios

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I feel like I’d watch a movie about the snap. I think the looting and rioting would begin immediately and America would be radically different in 2024

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

indigi posted:

I feel like I'd watch a movie about the snap. I think the looting and rioting would begin immediately and America would be radically different in 2024

it's only 2% of the population rather than 50%, but watch the leftovers (required caveat that s1 is a bit of a slog but s2 and s3 are transcendent)

here's the opening scene for some flavor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7qDbpnPHpY

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Leftovers absolutely rules, I just finished it last week actually

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much any thought about the Snap would strongly suggest that human society would be unrecognisable within a few years if it survives, and then there'd be a much bigger question if it could survive the reversal. Let alone if it applies to all life or even of a certain complexity like some scenes imply.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
all agriculture and industrial production would have scaled down and noone would have even imagined everyone coming back would even be contingency worth planning for

So Endgame would’ve be followed by a massive global famine killing tens of millions at best

And then there’s building back energy production to worry about again

Serf
May 5, 2011

the best part of the snap and thanos' malthusian bullshit is that they decide it would be cool if he was right. the talk of the whales coming back was hilarious for that reason

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much any thought about the Snap would strongly suggest that human society would be unrecognisable within a few years if it survives, and then there'd be a much bigger question if it could survive the reversal. Let alone if it applies to all life or even of a certain complexity like some scenes imply.

half your gut bacteria disappear in an instant, the immediate aftermath of the snap is that every human on earth gets diarrhea at the same time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dr. Killjoy posted:

all agriculture and industrial production would have scaled down and noone would have even imagined everyone coming back would even be contingency worth planning for

So Endgame would’ve be followed by a massive global famine killing tens of millions at best

And then there’s building back energy production to worry about again

you think the avengers would have given people a heads up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I like Drive, but i had a roommate that thought it was one of the best.

He also thought interstellar was the best.

I need better friends. Or no friends.