Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Beginning of "Chronicles of Riddick" full stop, is how I can't help but envision it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Happy Landfill posted:

Some more fanart that's Real Good

That was beautiful, thanks.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Everyone posted:

But maybe do tell tumblr that Gideon is a tough, cool lesbian, who is a lesbian in the sense of being a recognizably female woman who is hot for other recognizably female women. Because without the "Griddlehark" caption my take on that pic was "why did somebody post a pic of some Goth chick and her boyfriend?"

Exactly. In my mind I saw her as more elegant, more or less like she is on the cover.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Idk, I'm good with her being whatever people think of her as. Its not Bad to think of her otherwise, but the whole thing is so steeped I fanfic it seems weird not to accept the variance of what people might want her to be

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Sekenr posted:

Exactly. In my mind I saw her as more elegant, more or less like she is on the cover.

Elegant is about the farthest thing from my mind when I think of Gideon Nav, noted zweihander-wielder and titty-mag enjoyer. With the 4th kids asking "how big are your biceps" in the first book, it's not hard to imagine where people are coming from when they make her big and buff.

That said, I do like the cover art depiction. It's a bit more slender but still beefy enough to work.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Pretty hard to get big gains on a diet of leeks or whatever it was they grew on the Ninth House. Gideon and Harrow were essentially malnourished.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I definitely came down on viewing Gideon as tall and thin with cords of muscle and not swole. Basically a skeleton with muscle. It’s skeletons all the way down. I pictured most of the ninth house as slightly emaciated.

But beefcake Gideon is good too.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Muir basically stated flat-out that one of the levels that this book is written on is an idealized lesbian romance wish fulfillment, so I think that the best vision of Nav is whatever helps the story connect to the reader.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
To me, a buffer Sailor Uranus--like, once someone pointed out, "Oh, Gideon's a woman" you'd go, "Oh I see it now," but Gideon would totally not be offended if you mistook her for a man.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
This is really good but I’m linking instead of embedding because HtN spoilers

edit:

Entropic fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 3, 2021

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

:chanpop:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That is *solid*.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I was JUST coming here to post that! God I need more of these books recreated in that style

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Okay, I need graphic novel adaptions of this trilogy done in this style by this artist and I need them right the gently caress now! That was awesome, is what I'm saying.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Happy Landfill posted:

Saw some tweet on Twitter saying we were going to get a cover reveal for Alecto soon, but the account was nowhere near official. Didn't stop me from getting my hopes up ever so slightly:sigh:

Likely yet another one of the Twitter TLT crew doing the thing where they post "ALECTO COVER REVEAL TODAY" as a way of manifesting it to pass

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The only complaint I have about all the fan art is why does no one try to draw Aiglamene or Crux?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Entropic posted:

The only complaint I have about all the fan art is why does no one try to draw Aiglamene or Crux?

There has been at least one, maybe two, Aiglamenes I've seen. Crux I've never seen but also gently caress that guy.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Everyone stop what you're doing right the gently caress now

https://twitter.com/Tokiimon/status/1368420549404205060?s=19

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

There has been at least one, maybe two, Aiglamenes I've seen. Crux I've never seen but also gently caress that guy.

Crux blowing up the shuttle was not cool man, not cool.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Crux blowing up the shuttle was not cool man, not cool.

Crux seems like what you'd get if Riff Raff from The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Gunnery Sergeant Hartman from Full Metal Jacket started hate-loving and that somehow produced a child.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

His "your organs are measured and claimed by the ninth" speech is so loving creepy and weird. In, you know, a good way. Really sets the tone for his character.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Happy Landfill posted:

Everyone stop what you're doing right the gently caress now

https://twitter.com/Tokiimon/status/1368420549404205060?s=19

Toki and Mads are loving adorable and they put effort into those cosplays. They deserve all the views.
https://twitter.com/platiyum/status/1367627123062579202?s=19

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Haha those are amazing, they get the look down so well I thought it was a digital painting at first

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Oh my god, they are perfect!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Everyone posted:

But maybe do tell tumblr that Gideon is a tough, cool lesbian, who is a lesbian in the sense of being a recognizably female woman who is hot for other recognizably female women. Because without the "Griddlehark" caption my take on that pic was "why did somebody post a pic of some Goth chick and her boyfriend?"

I'm not sure why you're hung up on "recognizably female" or what that means.

But I can tell my a good friend of mine who's super duper lesbian and also has a beard loves those fan images.

My bigger "tumblr" criticism of Griddlehark is that people are romanticizing what reads to me as a slave romance.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Toki and Mads are loving adorable and they put effort into those cosplays. They deserve all the views.
ok now I'm trying to figure out what McElroy thing that is from

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jaxyon posted:

I'm not sure why you're hung up on "recognizably female" or what that means.

But I can tell my a good friend of mine who's super duper lesbian and also has a beard loves those fan images.

My bigger "tumblr" criticism of Griddlehark is that people are romanticizing what reads to me as a slave romance.

I've moved past it, but pretty much in that pic I thought that Gideon looked like a guy as opposed to a buff woman.

And if your friend like those pics, that's fine. Different strokes and all that.

I will say that at this point in the story, Gideon and Harrow are pretty much equals instead of slave and master.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, I definitely think that people maybe don't think enough about the fact that Gideon and Harrowhark are terrible for each other and they both really just need to move to separate planets and never interact again, and also maybe never even look at a bone.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I definitely think that people maybe don't think enough about the fact that Gideon and Harrowhark are terrible for each other and they both really just need to move to separate planets and never interact again, and also maybe never even look at a bone.

I think the funniest part is that while Gideon and Harrowhark are lesbians, they're lesbians who aren't attracted to each other. They very much have a bond but it's not really a sexual bond. Gideon has pretty much been attracted to a lot of women who aren't Harrow, while Harrow is attracted to one very specific woman who is not Gideon.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Both of y'all just have the weirdest of takes, for real.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Gideon always drinks a full serving of Respect Women juice, but sometimes she slips up

https://twitter.com/catpotion/status/1369346417081282560?s=19

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Both of y'all just have the weirdest of takes, for real.

I don't really see how "Gideon and Harrow have an incredibly unhealthy codependent relationship" is in any way odd.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They expressed their eternal love while immersed in a literal pool of tears, nothing weird about that :cenobite:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hey, random question, does the Ninth House have any pubs...

... or is it all bierhalls? :dadjoke:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Hey, random question, does the Ninth House have any pubs...

... or is it all bierhalls? :dadjoke:

One of the things I love about the first book so much is Gideon's shameless bad jokes.

"So you're saying you want to...throw her a bone?"

mewse
May 2, 2006

:lol: amazing

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

silvergoose posted:

One of the things I love about the first book so much is Gideon's shameless bad jokes.

"So you're saying you want to...throw her a bone?"

Gideon reminds me a little bit of Aech from Ready Player One.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Cant imagine anything more insulting than anything from the Locked Tomb Trilogy being compared to something from Ready Player One.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Idaholy Roller posted:

Cant imagine anything more insulting than anything from the Locked Tomb Trilogy being compared to something from Ready Player One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibyl Disobedience
Mar 16, 2018

A Fire Keeper's soul is a draw for humanity, and held within their bosoms, below just a thin layer of skin, are swarms of humanity that writhe and squirm.
It's funny that this should come up. I've only had Ready Player One ranted about to me, but it occurred to me that the Lyctor Trial was kinda like what the contest in Ready Player One would be if it were in a book that wasn't insipid.

I had this thought while wondering if Ortus Nigenad's godawful drowning-in-its-own-exposition poetry was a shot at Ernest Cline. So enjoy that analogy.