Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Anonymous Robot posted:

Surprised to find that I’m not really enjoying Prey. I’m going to give it another play session before I call it quits, but:

-I don’t like the gloo gun. It just doesn’t feel very good to use, particularly because some enemies (flaming phantom guy?) seem to just be immune to it without a real tell as to why.

-It all feels very derivative so far. I’ve played this game a million times now.

-Weapon degradation. This is partially on me for enabling this feature, but it’s implemented poorly in the game. Getting hit hard by an enemy, or touching flames etc destroys your weapon immediately.

-I don’t really feel like playing in a stealthy manner, but at least for now it feels like I have to, as I presently feel quite underpowered, especially against the mechanical enemies.

This seems like a step backward from Dishonored, though I can see why the semi-open world design would be preferable to the level-based design to many.

It's been ages since I've played Prey, but as a person who thoroughly enjoyed it with all the survival options on (and played on Nightmare difficulty by accident), I'll share some thoughts:

-The first five minutes is the most wishy-washy. Don't quit until you've finished all of the lobby. This is mostly due to the lobby finally being non-linear and very exploration-ish, but also because you get two real weapons in it.
-The Gloo Gun isn't really a weapon. I know why they give it to you first, to make sure you understand how to use it and to make you appreciate real firepower when you first get it, but yea it's unsatisfying. It's an exploration tool/utility device mostly. Which goes to point above.
-Weapon Degradation/Survival mode stuff was strictly optional. I know I couldn't imagine the game without Traumas and Oxygen, but I honestly can't recall weapon jamming in the slightest. I *do* know that all the mechanics where trivial to work around. Maybe you need to play a minute or two more to get to a recycler to have unlimited repair kits or something, sorry I can't think of better advice but I never really noticed it.
-Dishonored/Derivative/Stealthy: It's a 0451 game, or rather, it comes from a certain pedigree of games such as System Shock and Deus Ex, and so it's working towards those goal rather than others. So using stealth to make up for your fragility early game, having lots of small nooks and crannies to explore, et al. Is entirely the point. It's a really fabulous game, and I don't know anyone who got anywhere near halfway through the game who didn't immediately love it and post in the Prey thread about how amazing a gem hidden in the rough it is.

If the game seems like it *might* be your cup of tea, but are unsure because of a few niggles, the best advice I can say is "keep playing". Cool poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Prey definitely has one of the best helpless to badass power arcs in that style of game in ages. It's just rough in that it really doesn't play around in making you helpless at the start compared to most of the others which will give you the one headshot one kill pistol immediately

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Prey definitely has one of the best helpless to badass power arcs in that style of game in ages. It's just rough in that it really doesn't play around in making you helpless at the start compared to most of the others which will give you the one headshot one kill pistol immediately

Except .. you're not? Charged melee strikes are quite effective against mimics, and gloo gun + melee will deal with the first walker enemies fine. Electric gun can be acquired very quickly, and the shotgun not much after.

Gloo gun is a crowd control weapon, most useful for comboing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ambaire posted:

Except .. you're not? Charged melee strikes are quite effective against mimics, and gloo gun + melee will deal with the first walker enemies fine. Electric gun can be acquired very quickly, and the shotgun not much after.

Gloo gun is a crowd control weapon, most useful for comboing.

It's the difference between creeping into a room and hitting anything suspicious looking with a wrench in case it's a mimic versus sprinting from room to room and just grabbing the nearest couch to hurl at 100 mph whenever you hear the alien nose.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
There is also a shotgun you can find in the lobby. Specifically, in the security room. You can get into it really early if you explore a bit.

It helps a lot against Phantoms, especially with sneak attacks.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I didn't really like Prey either, in that sort of ineffable way. I got on with it well enough to eventually finish the game after a couple of years but I'm pretty lukewarm on it and I think it comes down to that derivative feeling. I felt pretty much the same way about Dishonored and Deus Ex: HR, and Prey really rides that line with mechanics and feel. I loved both System Shocks and still play Thief on the reg, so maybe it has something to do with how quickly and completely these modern games empower you.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Well, which is it, dammit, does the game make you really powerful super quickly or it is a hard-as-nails start with no effective weapons!?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

John Lee posted:

Well, which is it, dammit, does the game make you really powerful super quickly or it is a hard-as-nails start with no effective weapons!?
It depends on how quickly you find the blueprint for Neuromods.

Prey was a lot better than I expected it to be (coming off UW/Thief/SS/DX).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

John Lee posted:

The game isn't afraid to let you miss stuff. If you know what you're doing, or you just decide to explore the right things first, you can get the shotgun (which is much stronger than anything else at that point) and the ability to craft skillpoint-granting items (which are otherwise scattered around and few and far between) pretty early on, but even if you're exploring thoroughly it's possible you get distracted by some whole other breadcrumb trail and play through the game for a while without getting those things, until eventually they're sort of shoved in your face.

I got both of those just about as soon as possible my first playthrough, which made me feel very good when I realized they were optional, but I can totally see how missing out them at first would have the opposite effect.

Also it's just one of those games where if you know how to break it, you can break it, so a veteran player with the same resources as someone new to the game might know a bunch of little tricks to gain the edge in any combat encounter, where for the new player it can feel unmanageable. It's one of my favorite games and a blast to play but "balanced difficulty" isn't really on the list of reasons I'd recommend it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

John Lee posted:

Yes.

The game is more than happy to let you progress with just a pistol and your wits, but if you know what the game expects of you you can leave the lobby with both a shotgun and a stun gun, well before the game will eventually hand you either. Almost all of the guns exist hidden several 'stages' before the game will obviously grant you one, you just have to know how to recognise then get into the many secret and optional areas littered around the environment.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Prey was so loving good, I need to go back and finish Mooncrash.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i should try to finish obra dinn. i did like two chapters and just got sick of staring at the picture and being annoyed it wouldn't let me accuse the helmsman of being the helmsman. im allowed to be wrong thats like 100% of what being an insurance appraiser's job is!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

kater posted:

i should try to finish obra dinn. i did like two chapters and just got sick of staring at the picture and being annoyed it wouldn't let me accuse the helmsman of being the helmsman. im allowed to be wrong thats like 100% of what being an insurance appraiser's job is!

speaking of Obra Dinn, the OST is finally available officially. Sadly only via stream, but still better then most youtube video uploads I've heard

https://twitter.com/dukope/status/1366548236756914177?s=20

PREY soundtrack is btw. also amazingly good (and by Mick Gordon)

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Prey looks cool, but I was confused when I found it was clearly not a continuation of the Prey that was released in the mid 00’s. That is all.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Prey should have been called Psychoshock

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

goferchan posted:

The game isn't afraid to let you miss stuff. If you know what you're doing, or you just decide to explore the right things first, you can get the shotgun (which is much stronger than anything else at that point) and the ability to craft skillpoint-granting items (which are otherwise scattered around and few and far between) pretty early on, but even if you're exploring thoroughly it's possible you get distracted by some whole other breadcrumb trail and play through the game for a while without getting those things, until eventually they're sort of shoved in your face.

I got both of those just about as soon as possible my first playthrough, which made me feel very good when I realized they were optional, but I can totally see how missing out them at first would have the opposite effect.

Also it's just one of those games where if you know how to break it, you can break it, so a veteran player with the same resources as someone new to the game might know a bunch of little tricks to gain the edge in any combat encounter, where for the new player it can feel unmanageable. It's one of my favorite games and a blast to play but "balanced difficulty" isn't really on the list of reasons I'd recommend it

I think this is pretty much it. I remember there being a safe I can open hidden almost immediately in the game, and I know that the code is on a whiteboard somewhere pretty early on too- I’m guessing that’s where the shotgun is? But I’ve just been kinda following sidequests and doing the main quest when it comes up and I suppose I haven’t found all this good stuff yet. I picked repair as my initial skill, partially to offset the weapon degradation and partially because the game gives you an environmental repair prompt pretty early, but I have been really underwhelmed with it so far- all I’ve been able to do is enable a recycler, which was itself fairly close to an already active recycler.

I’m aware that I will be able to fabricate neuromods and repair items eventually, but I can’t right now. I haven’t played the game at all since my last post though. It sounds like I’ve managed to get fairly far without finding basically any crucial items, despite doing my best to explore.

Regarding “of course it’s derivative, it’s an 0451 game.” I know! I’ve played literally all of those, except Dishonored 2 which I’ve only played a few hours of. But from all the praise the game gets, I was expecting it to advance the genre in some way, and instead it plays extremely similarly to games from 1999. There’s nothing wrong with those games, either, but I guess I’ve had my fill of em, maybe.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Regarding “of course it’s derivative, it’s an 0451 game.” I know! I’ve played literally all of those, except Dishonored 2 which I’ve only played a few hours of. But from all the praise the game gets, I was expecting it to advance the genre in some way, and instead it plays extremely similarly to games from 1999. There’s nothing wrong with those games, either, but I guess I’ve had my fill of em, maybe.

The way I look at it is that Prey is Arkane's thesis statement on the entire genre. It's an intentional pastiche of sorts of everything they learned from their earlier games, on top of evoking Bioshock and System Shock both. I personally love that aspect of it, but I can see how it could come off as just derivative and repetitive.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Prey really does nothing particularly original. It just does what it does exceedingly well. Sometimes that's enough.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Prey was very good, but it did have pacing issues, specially in the back end. I do feel Mooncrash is where all the systems they created really shone, wish it was longer or that we had more content in that format, because it was awesome. Who knows, maybe Deathloop will take some cues from it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/GliitchWiitch/status/1366453794066862085

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’m aware that I will be able to fabricate neuromods and repair items eventually, but I can’t right now. I haven’t played the game at all since my last post though. It sounds like I’ve managed to get fairly far without finding basically any crucial items, despite doing my best to explore.

If you want some leads on early-game items that'll make your life easier:

Shotgun is in the security booth in the Talos 1 main lobby. I don't remember how you get the keycard to get in, but you can climb up some pipes outside it and drop in through an air vent without the key

Stun gun is right after you get the gloo gun, you have to build a little staircase with the gloo to reach the corpse holding it

And finally, explore the neuromod area really thoroughly and follow all the trails you get there. Being able to fabricate mods makes a huge difference

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I didn't mind driving with KB in Cyberpunk, but what I cannot forgive is having an un-remapable "hit Alt twice" to holster your weapon. Alt is also the key to cycle weapons, so you can imagine the problems it causes to try and have your weapon holstered but your preferred weapon selected.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I minded driving in Cyberpunk at all but that's hardly an original take. I do wish people would stop making open world games with horrendous driving though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’ve been driving with a keyboard since Colin McRae Rally and I liked it :colbert:

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the worst part about Cyberpunk driving is the absurdly bad radio control

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Palpek posted:

Prey was so loving good, I need to go back and finish Mooncrash.

Prey was great. But I tried to finally play Mooncrash a few months back some 2-3 years after I played Prey.

A - I couldn't remember WTF was going on or how any of the mechanics worked.
B - It sucked balls.

This in depth review of Mooncrash was brought to you by Tony Phillips.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I spent this morning playing the Loop Hero demo - got a win on my 3rd go-round, no deaths yet

I uh... I foresee severe problems with my work productivity after this launches :ohdear:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
holy gently caress, Everhood is coming out in two days

START THE MUSIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BouatkDccf4

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I don't regret buying Mooncrash in a recent sale because it means that I'll need to redownload Prey, which means that I'll replay Prey. Reprey.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tony Phillips posted:

Prey was great. But I tried to finally play Mooncrash a few months back some 2-3 years after I played Prey.

A - I couldn't remember WTF was going on or how any of the mechanics worked.
B - It sucked balls.

This in depth review of Mooncrash was brought to you by Tony Phillips.

I liked it, but I basically cheesed the hell out of it once I found the crafting recipe for the item that allows you to lower the progress on the corruption bar. Fun fact: enemies don’t respawn until you reach the next corruption level!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 2, 2021

Iverron
May 13, 2012

explosivo posted:

I really tried to get into Chronicon but couldn't. I still mean to go back but felt like I did a lot of running back and forth to get rid of junk in my inventory and barely made any progress because of it. The skills that you get later on seem cool as hell though.

The solution to this in basically any ARPG is stop picking up so much poo poo and tighten up your loot filter. 99.9% of loot is worthless especially in a SSF environment.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

holy gently caress, Everhood is coming out in two days

START THE MUSIC

This gave me a headache but was pretty cool until then.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I talked about this to the Chronicon dev once and he told me outright that you aren't supposed to pick up everything you see. Hit those filters.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mooncrash was very experimental and while it didn't completely work for everyone, I adored it and enjoyed it more than Prey itself. It kinda teaches you how to speedrun the game but is also open-ended enough that just aimlessly wondering around and messing with things can give you invaluable knowledge about how the mechanics work and give you the edge for your next run.

I am very much looking forward to Deathloop. Arkane should have learned a lot of lessons with Mooncrash and if they apply that knowledge correctly, then Deathloop will be something amazing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Iverron posted:

The solution to this in basically any ARPG is stop picking up so much poo poo and tighten up your loot filter. 99.9% of loot is worthless especially in a SSF environment.

Cardiovorax posted:

I talked about this to the Chronicon dev once and he told me outright that you aren't supposed to pick up everything you see. Hit those filters.

I know but... all that stuff is just lying right there :ohdear:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Think of the tens of vendor gold you're giving up!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I know, it punches you right in those ARPG instincts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Loot Filters should have a second setting that just vaporizes any flagged items into gold without having to make vendor trips.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6B98KAIyF8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Ahhh, I see people are mistaking a key feature for a bug.