Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Did interest in Tolkien just end forever two weeks ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

this thread has its peaks and valleys. tbh we don't get many new people here, and pretty much all of us regulars already know all the answers to the common questions about middle earth. Like we are not going to explain how the elves got to Valinor to each other despite the fact that we all would likely write thesis papers of responses to earnest questions. I've thought about reviving the old ask/tell Tolkien thread, or starting a new one, but :effort:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CommonShore posted:

has he written any new books?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A friend of mine messaged me with a question that he said my "unique outlook might be useful for"

quote:

Magic the Gathering is going to put out a set sometime in the future that is a literal LOTR set. A a major Tolkien fan with no interest in the card game, how does that make you feel?

I told him that having no idea what MTG was about, I had sort of assumed they did branded stuff like that all the time, but apparently no, they only just started last year. Would I be right in guessing then that this is the estate cashing in now that Christopher is gone?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Data Graham posted:

A friend of mine messaged me with a question that he said my "unique outlook might be useful for"

I told him that having no idea what MTG was about, I had sort of assumed they did branded stuff like that all the time, but apparently no, they only just started last year. Would I be right in guessing then that this is the estate cashing in now that Christopher is gone?

yeah that's cash

it makes me feel bad

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
A little bit of that and a little bit of COVID loving over a game that thrives on the cramped, in-person environment of the FLGS (friendly local game shop) more than probably any other. Magic: the Gathering (and to a lesser extent, Pokemon and X-Wing) are literally the only tentpoles holding up the retail board game shop from Amazon oblivion. At the same time they announced the LOTR products they also announced a similar tie-in with Warhammer 40,000 and D&D (which Wizards owns anyway). So what you're seeing is massive boardgaming IPs forming up like Voltron to try to get through COVID.

There's also just a general feeling that Magic has turned off some of the old fans with runaway power creep (the ban lists for recent sets are bigger than the ban lists for entire previous decades), controversies over community decisions, and salt over the digital versions of Wizards' games.

Personally I think it's cool because as someone who started with literally the first full version of Magic back in 1994-1995, my favorite stuff was always the more generic D&D-inspired fantasy of their early sets than the more bespoke Magic-specific "lore" the game started to develop with sets like 'Fallen Empires', and I think M:TG is a cool game mechanically that might be interesting applied to other settings. I used to try every CCG that came out, including a lot that have been forgotten now -- the original LOTR game, Rage, Illuminati, Mechwarrior (BattleTech), Jyhad, Doom Troopers, LO5R, several versions of Star Wars, the actual paper WoW CCG, etc, etc.

What I'm curious about is whether these will have the same cardbacks and be cross-playable with normal magic like the Godzilla cards they put out recently were (IIRC). Would be hilarious to throw a Giant Growth on a Peregrin Took card.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 1, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
A pro-click is the archive of cards for the old Decipher LOTR CCG. https://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/start

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

ChubbyChecker posted:

has he written any new books?

Well, the copyright owners have successfully negotiated at least one official crossover.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Data Graham posted:

Thought they'd sold it all to Amazon; did they keep the rights to, I dunno, cards? Games? Non-video stuff? Are we going to see Middle-earth Monopoly? Go to Mordor, go directly to Mordor, do not pass the Grey Havens, do not collect 200 Silmarils

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

I'm kinda happy for the Tolkien descendants that they're getting to cash in but I'm also glad Christopher *didn't* cash in for a very, very long time. I'm glad my childhood was free of Legolas happy meal toys or Sexy Tauriel erotica.

There was such a joy, back in the day, of discovery with the Lord of the Rings. Like finding a secret beauty of the world. That's gone now, it's all out there in the open. No more secrets in this Garden.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 1, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There was such a joy, back in the day, of discovery with the Lord of the Rings. Like finding a secret beauty of the world. That's gone now, it's all out there in the open. No more secrets in this Garden.

For better or worse this is true of everything in the age of the internet. For example, I used to love the process of discovering music, and of being the local expert in obscure music among the people I knew IRL. You'd get a call, "Hey Imagined, who did the cover of that Cheap Trick song we heard the other day?". Now anyone with access to Google and Spotify can know as much as I ever did as fast as they can read it. Which is amazing but, like you said, also takes a little bit of the magic out of it. Even like, Magic the Gathering in the 90s was like, I only knew about the cards I'd seen in person. You'd hear rumors about a card and never even knew if it was a real card or bullshit someone made up. Now everybody looks at the spoilers for every card in every set before it even comes out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or like, posting in a forum. Why bother knowing all this obscure trivia I can whip out when someone mentions one of my pet interests if it'll just look like I skimmed Wikipedia in the last 30 seconds in order to impress everyone with my nerditude.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this thread has its peaks and valleys. tbh we don't get many new people here, and pretty much all of us regulars already know all the answers to the common questions about middle earth. Like we are not going to explain how the elves got to Valinor to each other despite the fact that we all would likely write thesis papers of responses to earnest questions. I've thought about reviving the old ask/tell Tolkien thread, or starting a new one, but :effort:

they flew into space on a magical ship

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Imagined posted:

A pro-click is the archive of cards for the old Decipher LOTR CCG. https://lotrtcgwiki.com/wiki/start

I liked that game :3

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Imagined posted:

It was a very good licensed game. I loved how in the first few sets you had a mix of fellowship heroes as your party and the traveling mechanic was really thematic.
Later sets brought mono-elf, or mono-Rohan parties, which weren't nearly as fun.

Still Middle-Earth: The Wizards was the best Tolkien card game ever.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I was gonna say, this isn't the first LOTR CCG is it? Relatedly Games Workshop has been doing miniatures & tabletop games for LOTR for ages. If anything MTG is getting in late.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Haven't licensed LOTR things been around for a while? Or is that just movie-tie ins? I used to have both a LOTR version of Risk and some starter set for the Warhammer-esque game Games Workshop put out (which I played a few times and they realized it would consume my entire life and budget if I got into it so I stopped).

There's something a little sad about cash-grab tie-ins, but eventually this story is going to hit public domain, and then the real fun begins (Muppet version).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

who can forget good ol' MERPS.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's funny a poster specifically mentioned happy meals because I remember trying very hard to get all the burger king (?) glass mugs they made for the movies, and buying a friend a toy Galadriel ring from Toys R Us (RIP). Maybe they meant before the movies though.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 1, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There was also a Middle Earth TCG/LCG that was out and about in the mid 90s and it had characters from the Silmarillion, including the Valar. I only encountered it once, and didn't get to play it, so I can't remember any more details.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Imagined posted:

It's funny a poster specifically mentioned happy meals because I remember trying very hard to get all the burger king (?) glass mugs they made for the movies, and buying a friend a toy Galadriel ring from Toys R Us (RIP). Maybe they meant before the movies though.

Oh yeah I have all.the movie tie in figures and.mugs.thats why I said

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Haven't licensed LOTR things been around for a while? Or is that just movie-tie ins? I used to have both a LOTR version of Risk and some starter set for the Warhammer-esque game Games Workshop put out (which I played a few times and they realized it would consume my entire life and budget if I got into it so I stopped).

There's something a little sad about cash-grab tie-ins, but eventually this story is going to hit public domain, and then the real fun begins (Muppet version).

Mostly movie tie-ins, IIRC, since you can license derivative products like Lego sets, video games, etc as being based on "the LOTR movies" as opposed to "LOTR in general".

Though I dunno how that MMO got licensed

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CommonShore posted:

I have to admit, I was starting to think my last post had killed the thread.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Goblin Craft posted:

I have to admit, I was starting to think my last post had killed the thread.

You posted too greedily and too deep.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Data Graham posted:

Or like, posting in a forum. Why bother knowing all this obscure trivia I can whip out when someone mentions one of my pet interests if it'll just look like I skimmed Wikipedia in the last 30 seconds in order to impress everyone with my nerditude.

You can use your encyclopedic knowledge to make stupid jokes or ask stupid questions.

I, for one, am still wondering who among the Fellowship had a comb on them.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 2, 2021

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sam would, 100%. Probably left it behind when he dived for the boat.

Or it was Merry or Pippin's foot comb.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I, for one, am still wondering who among the Fellowship had a comb on them.

Given how "iron age Germanic" the overall culture of Middle-earth is, and how important good hair and beard grooming was in those cultures, I'm sure most of the Fellowship carried one. At the bare minimum Boromir, being an aristocrat, almost certainly had a grooming kit in his baggage.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

GimpInBlack posted:

Given how "iron age Germanic" the overall culture of Middle-earth is, and how important good hair and beard grooming was in those cultures, I'm sure most of the Fellowship carried one. At the bare minimum Boromir, being an aristocrat, almost certainly had a grooming kit in his baggage.

sam and gandalf were the only non-aristos in the group

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

ChubbyChecker posted:

sam and gandalf were the only non-aristos in the group

You are, of course, correct--I was discounting the Hobbits because they're very much an exception to the "Germanic Iron Age" cultural motifs I was talking about (being more 19th-century English country gentlemen), Aragorn because kind of his whole thing is hiding his aristocracy until it's time to reveal himself and otherwise looking like a scruffy hobo, and Legolas because he's a goddamn Elf and clearly needs no grooming products to look fabulous at all times. But I should amend that statement to "bare minimum Boromir and Gimli probably had grooming kits in their baggage."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GimpInBlack posted:

Aragorn because kind of his whole thing is hiding his aristocracy until it's time to reveal himself and otherwise looking like a scruffy hobo
Can't look like a king without fabulous hair. May not have had a comb, but had something that could work as one in a pinch.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

CommonShore posted:

yeah that's cash

it makes me feel bad

Next up: D*vid *ddings finally writing the LotR sequel he was denied originally.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can't look like a king without fabulous hair. May not have had a comb, but had something that could work as one in a pinch.

a fair brow is the only thing you need

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Omnomnomnivore posted:

(Muppet version).

I'd watch it. I'd also watch a movie version of Bored of the Rings.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

CommonShore posted:

There was also a Middle Earth TCG/LCG that was out and about in the mid 90s and it had characters from the Silmarillion, including the Valar. I only encountered it once, and didn't get to play it, so I can't remember any more details.

It was great in a very unbalanced and experimental kind of way. It's was contemporary with the early Magic, so there was no exact blueprint on how to make a ccg yet.
Players controlled fellowship led by one of the 5 wizards that travelled across the map of middle-earth. Goal was to gather allies and equipment to defeat the Sauron. Technically there was a win condition for 'dunking' the One ring at the Mount Doom, but that was mostly a novelty gimmick deck.
Half your deck was bad guy cards and other half was good guy cards. Playing good guy cards gave resources for the opponent to play their bad guys, like Orcs, Drakes and corruption, but also let you draw more cards at the end of the turn to fill your hand.
There was also dice used to randomize combat results and whether your dudes succumbed to corruption.
First few sets were pretty clear, but it got way complicated with adding 'fallen Wizards' faction, Balrog-faction and Nazgul-faction, with their own mechanics.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Omnomnomnivore posted:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Aragorn strikes me as the kind of dude who never packs his own toiletries and just uses the disposable courtesy combs from the concierge of the Sheraton Caras Galadhon, TBH.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It was pointed out that Boromir is described has having his hair "shorn about his shoulders" when he comes riding panting and bedraggled into Rivendell after 110 days on the road, so clearly he's had to take time out to get a trim once or twice.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Boromir had beautiful flowing long hair so yeah he probably took care of it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

I watched an episode of that it was kinda endearing even if they mix up Kuo-Tua and Grogs

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1356641032226680832?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yall are overthinking this and basically any person from antiquity onwards would prefer to be groomed vs not groomed so the default should always be that yes they carried some soap and grooming materials with them. Obviously you can't carry 4 months worth in a pack but they would be as clean as possible.