Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

UnknownTarget posted:

I was listening to this breakdown of the worst jobs in Warhammer 40k because Youtube's algo suggested it after watching a streamer get into WH40k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI29i9abAJ8

All I could think was that WH40k is the socially acceptable version of the Stimpire. How are people into this stuff?

40k started as basically a fairly obvious satire about the dark future that fascism, religious totalitarianism, and such would create.

however, it's questionable how long that held out. i know by the time i quit playing 40k about a decade ago, there was no shortage of people who were a bit too into the imperium of man. it didn't help that a lot of the material that GW had put out saw the imperium as the good guys - a necessary evil. it's been confounded more during recent releases where, like, the problem with the imperium is religion and there's a new imperium which is still an orgy of necessary evil fascism but with a 'we're the real good guys' veneer. it's closely related to how alt-right people love to shout DEUS VULT and such.

of course, my first ever experience with Warhammer fandom was finding a flier that featured the imperial aquila and it turned out to be a white power organization, and this was back in the 90s, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/ke8U56K.gifv

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
What is the story of the stimpire? I thought it was a goon joke about dumb grimdark fiction.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
oh yeah and they've put out children's books - as opposed to books for manchildren - where the kids are like, yeah, the only good mutant is a dead mutant and i'm not exactly one to clutch pearls about the media kids consume but i'm not sure it's responsible to aim your grimdark satire universe at a reading age of 8-12.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I absolutely love how backers pay for all this poo poo.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

What is the story of the stimpire? I thought it was a goon joke about dumb grimdark fiction.

I tried to google for the original Spectrum post, and... err... it seems it got quite popular

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sarsapariller posted:

I re-read The Mote In God's Eye last month as part of a general trip back through some old sci-fi staples and wow it does not hold up at all. The rationale for the space travel is still fine but just 50 years on from when it was written society has altered so radically that the scenario described in the story just sounds ludicrous.

* Women are mysterious and ethereal beings who must be treated according to chivalrous standards but must not be allowed to venture any kind of opinion and in fact the one woman in the whole goddamn book is basically there to add some kind of emotional b-plot for big square-jawed Captain Smashfist even though the entire plot is about birth control.

* Ships are crewed by hundreds of men, doubled up two or three to a task, because there is no automation anywhere. All 1940's maritime standards apply- rigid discipline, cramped quarters, expendable red shirts, etc

* There is one big central computer on a ship and it can only do one thing at a time, everyone fights over it all the time, and about 90% of the plot points in the book would fall apart if they had the kind of processing power that people 20 years later would have handy access to.

* The entire story centers around an alien race that has to become pregnant every few years or die. If they're let out of their one solar system they will overpopulate the universe in a few centuries. Their entire society collapses every few centuries because of population pressure, and they go to great pains to hide this from the humans who visit. They can't see any way to fix this. What's birth control? Larry Niven does not know how uteruses or hormones work, and genetic sciences were in their infancy in the 70's, so he handwaves this away. The aliens have FTL but the only point out of their system is inside a supernova, so they want the secret of the shield tech that humans have, which they have not managed to invent themselves despite many thousands of years of generally being smarter than humanity and working really hard to kill each other.

* The rest of the story is about humanity missing the clues to this big secret because nobody has a computer and in 1970 it was plausible that they'd have to do everything by hand, but also because only like six or seven Very Important Men are really allowed to understand or venture opinions about anything, at any time, and all of these VIM are stuff-shirt assholes who have absolutely no reason for being there. Social sciences exist but the only person on the crew with any kind of degree in it is the Token Woman, who has a bachelor's in anthropology but is not at any point allowed to contribute. The other scientists are all physicist and astrologers because they wanted to observe the nebula during humanity's first alien contact (???) The only person with a language degree on the ship is the ship's chaplain and he only has it incidentally, he's there because the Pope sent him to see if the aliens have souls and not to, oh say, figure out their loving language.

* The most consistently wrong man in the book is the Lead Scientist. The suspicious and extremely fascistly coded Russian admiral who genocided whole rebel planets for the empire and now wants to genocide the aliens turns out to be the most consistently correct and responsible person in the expedition because the strange foreigners will outbreed and replace us if allowed to, yikes!

All of that, indeed. :D
In fact, it would probably be a good book to critique for lit 101.

It also puts the things they were interested in/did right in even sharper relief, and highlights that you kind of have to pick your battles as a writer. They wanted to write sci-fi, but exactly which sciences qualified was subject to the availability, presumptions and prejudices of its era (and what buddies they could call upon for those select few get-it-right items).

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
When we are all elevated jellies floating in the quasital nestopolax, I will author the best science fiction that has ever scienced fiction. But I can only do that once we leave this coil of chained science knowledge to the next stage of development.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

NumptyScrub posted:

I tried to google for the original Spectrum post, and... err... it seems it got quite popular

Spectrum was the original place? Any clues about roughly when and why it was posted? Was it trolling or insane fanfic?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Tippis posted:

It also puts the things they were interested in/did right in even sharper relief, and highlights that you kind of have to pick your battles as a writer. They wanted to write sci-fi, but exactly which sciences qualified was subject to the availability, presumptions and prejudices of its era (and what buddies they could call upon for those select few get-it-right items).

The concept of a civilization that intentionally builds itself around cyclic apocalypses and develops infrastructure specifically for that is interesting.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

I think CIG are slipping in their old age, the old CIG would totally have charged money to reserve ship names. Buy a 10 pack for only $999!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Popete posted:

WH40k does not make the Imperium of Man the good guys, it's pretty upfront that humanity has descended into a dystopian hell hole where life has no meaning. It's a dark future setting with no real good guys but it creates a compelling setting for story telling.

It's basically the opposite of the 'Verse which is a chock full of inconsistencies and everything has a parallel to our current modern day in an uninspired attempt to create lore.

Uhhh great but the official canon story behind these ridiculous assassins is absolutely stimpirical. War orphans from dead planets forced into the hunger games or executed by the guards en masse on giant floating spaceships delivering them to an assassin group that pumps them full of chemicals and makes them insane but also freezes them in carbonite to drop them out of a spaceship in a drop ship because they go so insane they can’t do anything but kill everyone around them but are also galaxy brain assassins

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Tippis posted:

It really felt like he had preemptively invented the AI-genie-in-a-bottle genre of science fiction, without access to or understanding of how computers would evolve. The central question of- this thing is smarter than you, it obviously wants something, but it could be hugely beneficial to let it out or devastatingly bad for everyone ever, so how do you judge? That's still interesting today. Unfortunately the way he chose to compose the threat- sneaky rapidly-breeding foreigners- makes it really distasteful now, but eh- he was always more of an ideas guy. I'm excited to see if Ringworld holds up any better.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

i am a moron posted:

Uhhh great but the official canon story behind these ridiculous assassins is absolutely stimpirical. War orphans from dead planets forced into the hunger games or executed by the guards en masse on giant floating spaceships delivering them to an assassin group that pumps them full of chemicals and makes them insane but also freezes them in carbonite to drop them out of a spaceship in a drop ship because they go so insane they can’t do anything but kill everyone around them but are also galaxy brain assassins

But at least that's creative! Lean into your dystopian hell hole setting. CIGs universe doesn't have anything that stands out about it, it's a vaguely futuristic sci-fi setting where people spend all day eating hot dogs and burritos well flying crates of hand mined gems between planets.

Stimpire might be the best lore Star Citizen has ever produced and it isn't even official canon. Look at how incredibly boring the CIG lore team are, they write article after article about the same ~5 ship manufacturers.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

i am a moron posted:

Your point?

When you can pack 5,000,000,000 people into a city, poo poo gets weird

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

To contribute to WH40k chat-

I've been through the whole gamut of reactions to 40K, from "This is cool and I like the tongue in cheek satire of the imperium and all the Dune/Foundation references everywhere but personally I'm gonna play the planet-devouring bug swarm" in the early 2000's to "Okay this is just explicitly-encoded nazi wank-fic" in the mid-2010's to my position now, where I think some interesting stories have been told in the universe but by and large it's suffering from the same IP fatigue as Marvel and DC properties. The owners are basically going to strip-mine every last penny out of the universe by taking every remaining grey area or unknown and turning it into another sales opportunity. But the core of the setting is so dominated by CIS WHITE MALE things that it effectively can't be extended beyond the existing demographic. So the whole universe is now righteous sexless muscle men crying manly tears as they genocide each other, everything is explicitly targeted towards a 13 year old boy's concept of what is cool, and it sucks rear end. There's no fun little callouts or deep literary references anymore, there's no humanity to 90% of the characters, it's just big battle setpiece after setpiece without justification or usually any consequence. It used to be a place for a bunch of authors to play, and now it's just another vehicle to extract cash from paypigs.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 2, 2021

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Spectrum was the original place? Any clues about roughly when and why it was posted? Was it trolling or insane fanfic?

I think it was 2014ish, in the part of Spectrum reserved for fanfics and whatnot. IIRC it stayed there for a while before the mods took it down, too. 'Insane fanfic' is about the sum of it. I guess it could also be a troll *disguised* as an insane fanfic, but in the event they basically amount to the same thing. The author didn't comment much beyond a vague "I wanted to write a dystopia and it just kept going and going" comment, and I might be misremembering that.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The concept of a civilization that intentionally builds itself around cyclic apocalypses and develops infrastructure specifically for that is interesting.

Mass Effect has some of this. It doesn't do anything wildly interesting with it, but it has it!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

40K is GI Joe with novels instead of a cartoon show, change my mind

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Sarsapariller posted:

To contribute to WH40k chat-

I've been through the whole gamut of reactions to 40K, from "This is cool and I like the tongue in cheek satire of the imperium and all the Dune/Foundation references everywhere but personally I'm gonna play the planet-devouring bug swarm" in the early 2000's to "Okay this is just explicitly-encoded nazi wank-fic" in the mid-2010's to my position now, where I think some interesting stories have been told in the universe but by and large it's suffering from the same IP fatigue as Marvel and DC properties. The owners are basically going to strip-mine every last penny out of the universe by taking every remaining grey area or unknown and turning it into another sales opportunity. But the core of the setting is so dominated by CIS WHITE MALE things that it effectively can't be extended beyond the existing demographic. So the whole universe is now righteous sexless muscle men crying manly tears as they genocide each other, everything is explicitly targeted towards a 13 year old boy's concept of what is cool, and it sucks rear end. There's no fun little callouts or deep literary references anymore, there's no humanity to 90% of the characters, it's just big battle setpiece after setpiece without justification or usually any consequence. It used to be a place for a bunch of authors to play, and now it's just another vehicle to extract cash from paypigs.

Sarsapariller posted:

40K is GI Joe with novels instead of a cartoon show, change my mind

Ravenor, Eisenhorn, and maybe Gaunt and Cain are pretty much the only bits worth reading.

Edit: titanicus and double eagle were dope too

.random
May 7, 2007

Perhaps there is some irony that Blizzard has arguably done something more interesting with the WH40K IP than they themselves have :munch:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The Sickening and Heartbreaking Truths of the Fourth Stimpire
Banshee: Introduction & Prologue
Banshee Origins: The Ten Stimpires

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

By posting even a few sentences about the mechanics of Star Citizen’s lore, you’ve already put more original thought into it than Chris. He’s a cultural and artistic vulture, only capable of picking out isolated fragments of other sci-fi franchises that he likes for their aesthetic value, then stripping them of all context and meaning before shoving them into his game.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

.random posted:

Perhaps there is some irony that Blizzard has arguably done something more interesting with the WH40K IP than they themselves have :munch:

Did they? Starcafts Story ended in "the true mastermind badguy was an unseen force all along! Illidan Kerrigan was a necessary evil cause she's the chosen one to save us all! There always has to be a lichking Overmind /Queen of Blades!".. It was utter poo poo.

.random
May 7, 2007

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Did they? Starcafts Story ended in "the true mastermind badguy was an unseen force all along! Illidan Kerrigan was a necessary evil cause she's the chosen one to save us all! There always has to be a lichking Overmind /Queen of Blades!".. It was utter poo poo.

Yeah, no, I admit, it was a lazy troll :effort:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BigglesSWE posted:

I feel like taking over the development of SC at this point would be kind of like taking over the rule of
Nazi Germany in May 1945. The writing’s on the wall, pal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYz1ADttI1g

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

It really felt like he had preemptively invented the AI-genie-in-a-bottle genre of science fiction, without access to or understanding of how computers would evolve. The central question of- this thing is smarter than you, it obviously wants something, but it could be hugely beneficial to let it out or devastatingly bad for everyone ever, so how do you judge? That's still interesting today. Unfortunately the way he chose to compose the threat- sneaky rapidly-breeding foreigners- makes it really distasteful now, but eh- he was always more of an ideas guy. I'm excited to see if Ringworld holds up any better.

I've read maybe 1½ books in the Ringworld series and it's so-so. Very little of interest ever happens.
Protector is sort of entertaining, though, even if the premise is kind of bizarre.

Edit: though I will say that the concept of aliens intentionally influencing Earth governments to institute a lottery for the right to have kids with the secret purpose to see if breeding a super lucky human was possible was somewhat creative, even if the first book really didn't do anything interesting with it after that.

Bofast fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 2, 2021

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Pixelate posted:

"I've never been able to sell anything at ARC - go to Hurston.

I remember in the old days being able to see through walls and shoot through doors. You get used to it. A guy without legs or people walking into walls - that's nothing. I usually open the door for them.

Sure, I've fallen through an elevator, and trapped down a crevasse, and flown through a planet, and 30k'd right before I finished a mission, and not able to complete that drat bunker mission from Hurston, and those drat stealth satellites where there's only 2, and crashed on the dark side of a planet when I can't see a drat thing and those stupid turrets are shooting at me. But, whatever. It's still fun. Not bad, I'd say for an unfinished game I´m in for $500 in this poo poo so I have to keep trying."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

UnknownTarget posted:

I was listening to this breakdown of the worst jobs in Warhammer 40k because Youtube's algo suggested it after watching a streamer get into WH40k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI29i9abAJ8

All I could think was that WH40k is the socially acceptable version of the Stimpire. How are people into this stuff?

I mean, its not meant to be aspirational by any means. Its like a horror story. How are people into Saw or Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Its exciting. You're not meant to like the stuff.

40K is fun as basically someone taking Dune, scaling up everything x10,000, and then dropping in every other sci-fi concept you can rip-off (Xenomorphs, Greys, Terminators, Fantasy Orcs, whatever the gently caress)

40K is taking the absurd scale of World War and scaling it even further past absurd to the completely insane. The concept of a war across a galaxy where an entire planet is not just engaged in conflict, but is merely a single battleground just kinda blows my mind in the way I like sci-fi to blow my mind. Thinking about just the sheer scale of space... its cool, man.

Obviously, said inter-galactic war would be INSANELY AWFUL. But depicting it is interesting and exciting, in the way that videogames are. And as much as it may be super grim and macabre compared to the happy-go-lucky adventures of something like Star Wars, you have to admit that by comparison Star Wars is basically whitewashing the effects of what a real space war would be like.

But definitely some 40k stories are better than others and the hobby does have some undesirables who are into it for the wrong reasons. But also GW seems to be going in good directions now so, yeah.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 2, 2021

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

War wouldn't happen. Like the fact that you can nudge an asteroid and create a planet killer makes all war in these low fi settings stupid.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a treatise how this war would look like and how pointless it would be

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Horizon Burning posted:

40k started as basically a fairly obvious satire about the dark future that fascism, religious totalitarianism, and such would create.

however, it's questionable how long that held out. i know by the time i quit playing 40k about a decade ago, there was no shortage of people who were a bit too into the imperium of man. it didn't help that a lot of the material that GW had put out saw the imperium as the good guys - a necessary evil. it's been confounded more during recent releases where, like, the problem with the imperium is religion and there's a new imperium which is still an orgy of necessary evil fascism but with a 'we're the real good guys' veneer. it's closely related to how alt-right people love to shout DEUS VULT and such.

of course, my first ever experience with Warhammer fandom was finding a flier that featured the imperial aquila and it turned out to be a white power organization, and this was back in the 90s, so...

Anyway, this applies to almost any setting or IP. And I guess this is how :crobear:'s mind operates when he steals from other settings.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 2, 2021

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Pixelate posted:

Occasionally, just occasionally, Star Citizen inspires something beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5o2bO1rsxs

Loving the Hell of the Mountain King finale

e:
This deserves more views, but I don't understand why are people playing a game that frustrates them. Isn't the point of playing games having a good time? In roguelikes or Dark Souls, you're at least trying to solve a problem until you beat the boss or whatever, but in SC they're just trying to avoid bugs.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dwesa posted:

This deserves more views, but I don't understand why are people playing a game that frustrates them. Isn't the point of playing games having a good time? In roguelikes or Dark Souls, you're at least trying to solve a problem until you beat the boss or whatever, but in SC they're just trying to avoid bugs.

As a content locust. I approve.

:five:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Backers are sharing some ship names already:

When someone asked who is Derek Smart

:reddit: posted:

An indie game looser of tragic magnitude, hating CR since two decades as CR is delivering space games he can only dream about. Forget at once about him, nothing good will come from him but hate.
Mostly correct, except for fact that CR hasn't delivered any space game in more than two decades :shrug:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I upgraded my Pisces to the expedition model - and now I am unable to name my Carrack.

So - let me get this straight - by giving you EVEN MORE MONEY I completely hosed myself out of being able to claim a unique name at the earliest possibility?

How can you possibly think you are smart right now, CIG?

Go back to the drawing board. Retract this idiotic unique naming convention. Also, look at yourself in the mirror and question your life choices.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Horizon Burning posted:

Space fantasy is also a mostly underserved subgenre of scifi in gaming circles, so 40k does fill a niche with its setting too. That said I agree it's managed to retain alot of far right types who overlooks its satirical/dystopian themes and idealize the imperium. Worst are the ones like Arch Warhammer who use their lore channels to sneak in alt-right talking points. There are a handful of creators like Bruva Alfabusa who get the satirical undertones.

I would not be shocked if you find alot of overlap with the 40k alt right segments and groups like XenoThreat in Star Citizen.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 2, 2021

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh man I just read Ringworld a couple months ago, prepare to be underwhelmed. Imagine dreaming up the biggest dumbest possible object, a megastructure so vast in scale that all of human civilization could comfortably fit into a tiny fraction of it, and then.... that’s pretty much it.

And if you thought he had weird ideas about women then it’s about to get even weirder and less comfortable.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Popete posted:

But at least that's creative! Lean into your dystopian hell hole setting. CIGs universe doesn't have anything that stands out about it, it's a vaguely futuristic sci-fi setting where people spend all day eating hot dogs and burritos well flying crates of hand mined gems between planets.

Stimpire might be the best lore Star Citizen has ever produced and it isn't even official canon. Look at how incredibly boring the CIG lore team are, they write article after article about the same ~5 ship manufacturers.

BrotherJayne posted:

Your point?

When you can pack 5,000,000,000 people into a city, poo poo gets weird

It’s all really stupid, sorry about your miniatures game awful writing

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dwesa posted:

Backers are sharing some ship names already:

When someone asked who is Derek Smart

Mostly correct, except for fact that CR hasn't delivered any space game in more than two decades :shrug:

Interesting that Uncle Derek made it past their AI enhanced filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Dwesa posted:

I think most people that actually play the game are doing it for the same reason as that guy - twitch views.