Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Open Source Idiom posted:

Disney Plus
Apple TV Plus
Paramount Plus
Discovery Plus
Me Nonplussed

pentyne posted:

the last 5-10 years of tech have been like them trying to speed run all the mistakes and gently caress-ups of the past ~80 years of traditional media.

30 years of cable packages and cost bloat all getting compressed down into a few years of every network trying to make its own streaming service and expecting people to be willing to pay $12 for 15 different apps.

I really liked the idea of having Netflix and Hulu to compete against each other but now it's a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Meh.

As long as catalog doesn't cycle in and out and you can pay for no commercials, this is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than cable days.

Oh my, you mean I can spend $10 bucks and binge through a season of 5 different shows in a month with zero commercials and in 4k HDR and then I can cancel and forget it exists for a year until there's stuff I want to watch again? The horror.

I'd much rather pay $60 /month to be drip fed commercial laden "HD" that's so low bitrate that I have better looking DVDs.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Jesus Christ, people! Just pirate everything.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only watch shows that have made it onto Netflix Plus

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

Slamhound posted:

Jesus Christ, people! Just pirate everything.
Honestly. Only time I ever paid for any streaming service was when that Black Mirror Bandersnatch episode dropped.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Lemme just tell my 60 year old inlaws to check out pirate bay for all of the episodes of Mysteries of Oak Island they want to watch.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Debris reminds me a lot of Threshold, an excellent one season show from 2005, though Threshold had a much stronger cast. The first episode was decent, though the preview of the rest of the season seemed more intriguing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

I really liked the idea of having Netflix and Hulu to compete against each other but now it's a mess.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of these will be a flash in the pan, and end up going back to being extensions for existing services. I think Netflix, Hulu/Disney, Amazon, and Apple will be fine.

Oasx posted:

Debris reminds me a lot of Threshold, an excellent one season show from 2005, though Threshold had a much stronger cast. The first episode was decent, though the preview of the rest of the season seemed more intriguing.

I don't remember Threshold, I kept trying to think of it, but my brain kept reminding me of Surface.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Currently piracy is less convenient than using actual streaming services, so it's more a rarity for me for when I want to watch something on D+. Otherwise with two taps I'm streaming whatever I want on my giant TV in good quality without having to download anything or wait for significant loading times or see an ad or having to plan ahead or having to keep up with what the best sketchy sites are.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've been cackling my way thru Catastrophe on Prime. Seriously underrated comedy about two hosed up people trying to get their relationship going. Its loving raw at times.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't remember Threshold, I kept trying to think of it, but my brain kept reminding me of Surface.

It came out as the same time as Surface and invasion, all three sci fi shows that only lasted a season. Surface got most of the attention but Threshold was the best among the three in my opinion. Among others it had Peter Dinklage and Brent Spiner on the cast.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Oasx posted:

Threshold was good and it was disappointing when it got canceled given the planned Foothold/Stranglehold plans for future seasons.

Iron Crowned posted:

I also liked Surface. It was one of a bunch of One Season Wonders like Invasion, Alcatraz, and Point Pleasant from the mid oughts.

feedmyleg posted:

Currently piracy is less convenient than using actual streaming services, so it's more a rarity for me for when I want to watch something on D+. Otherwise with two taps I'm streaming whatever I want on my giant TV in good quality without having to download anything or wait for significant loading times or see an ad or having to plan ahead or having to keep up with what the best sketchy sites are.
If legit streaming service actually works then absolutely use it, but I’ve never seen anything other than non-stop carping about lovely quality, bad service, and endless interruptions.

As far as I can tell, the only difference in the difficulties between piracy and legitimacy is that one of them doesn’t cost $10-$20 bucks a month per service to deal with a bunch of bullshit.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Oasx posted:

It came out as the same time as Surface and invasion, all three sci fi shows that only lasted a season. Surface got most of the attention but Threshold was the best among the three in my opinion. Among others it had Peter Dinklage and Brent Spiner on the cast.

Yes!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All of which was trying to catch Losts lighting in a bottle.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's a shame that all those Lost ripoffs never realized that the reason people liked Lost was that it was good. They should have copied that strategy instead of trying to be bad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

It's a shame that all those Lost ripoffs never realized that the reason people liked Lost was that it was good. They should have copied that strategy instead of trying to be bad.

Didn't stop Heroes from finding success.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Three shows with almost the exact same premise came out that year, Threshold was the good one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

I wanna say it used to be on hulu. I know I rewatched it all at some point and it still held up

Now let's talk about putting The State somewhere drat it

The State is on CBS All Access (soon to be Paramount).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IRQ posted:

Three shows with almost the exact same premise came out that year, Threshold was the good one.

Which was the one with Elizabeth Moss being freaky as gently caress?

Or did I imagine that?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Nah, those shows were far too close together to really be considered ripoffs. It was more like a sci-fi fantasy zeitgeist and Lost just picked up the biggest audience with its slight lead. I’d say the ripoffs were dreck like The Ev3nt.

God that was poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Slamhound posted:

Nah, those shows were far too close together to really be considered ripoffs. It was more like a sci-fi fantasy zeitgeist and Lost just picked up the biggest audience with its slight lead. I’d say the ripoffs were dreck like The Ev3nt.

God that was poo poo.

They all came out like a couple years after Lost, I know this because I couldn't watch Lost due to working from 5:30pm to 4:00am, and I know I was watching The other shows live. Ah, the good old days before streaming

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The worst of all those shows was by far Persons Unknown. The worst!

Though it did have Chadwick Boseman in it so that was a plus.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That show was alot of fun.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

They all came out like a couple years after Lost, I know this because I couldn't watch Lost due to working from 5:30pm to 4:00am, and I know I was watching The other shows live. Ah, the good old days before streaming
Sure, but given production timing you need to give a buffer of at least a year. Lost was 2004, Supernatural was 2005, neither hit their popularity until they had aired for at least half a season. There was a glut of sci-fi/horror/fantasy shows that were probably being developed concurrently and Lost was the one the hit first.

I’m probably just being pedantic here (in other words, correct) but a lot of these shows weren’t so much copycats as they were rivals.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

X-O posted:

The worst of all those shows was by far Persons Unknown. The worst!

Though it did have Chadwick Boseman in it so that was a plus.

Great, now I gotta watch this poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Given the number of shows that we never even HEAR about pitched every year, I think it's more a matter of the networks making an adjustment on what they greenlit rather than the shows being outright copycats.

So, say, 15% of the shows pitched each year are genre shows. Most would get passed over before even pilot phase before but after the emerging success of lost, networks started fishing in that 15% more in hopes of getting a hit.

So, the initial development of those shows wasn't copycat, but the network strategy was.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Open Source Idiom posted:

Didn't stop Heroes from finding success.

Season two onward did that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dtmooreeditor/status/1366725402421567492

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's fantastic.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Oh oh oh...

So now we can’t even say “The N Word?” First we can’t say the “N Word” but now you’re trying to say we can’t say “The N Word” even when that a not the word we were going to say???

You’re the real racists.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Always double down.

https://twitter.com/NewOnNetflixUK/status/1366764572162617350

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

X-O posted:

Always double down.

Not sure that qualifies of doubling down since the original account that tweeting the promotional image isn't a Netflix account.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

As long as catalog doesn't cycle in and out

I don't use Peacock, but I've heard someone say that they already took down some of the stuff they had up at launch.

I am kind of tempted to watch Brave New World, though. Sounds like a mess but at least an entertaining one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t do it, it was real bad

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Slamhound posted:

Great, now I gotta watch this poo poo.

The funniest part of Persons Unknown is how before they started they said it was a complete one season story but it doesn't really answer any of its mysteries and also ended on a cliffhanger. The cliffhanger ending didn't even make any sense. The show took place in a ghost town with some buildings and the immediate area around them, the end of the series involves a character getting in an elevator in the town's hotel and when they get out they're on a boat in the middle of the ocean.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The funniest part of Persons Unknown is how before they started they said it was a complete one season story but it doesn't really answer any of its mysteries and also ended on a cliffhanger. The cliffhanger ending didn't even make any sense. The show took place in a ghost town with some buildings and the immediate area around them, the end of the series involves a character getting in an elevator in the town's hotel and when they get out they're on a boat in the middle of the ocean.

That was pretty great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't use Peacock, but I've heard someone say that they already took down some of the stuff they had up at launch.

Their movies churn, but I'm less concerned about that.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Chairman Capone posted:

I am kind of tempted to watch Brave New World, though. Sounds like a mess but at least an entertaining one.

It's definitely entertaining. There was some stuff I really enjoyed and most of the cast is doing a good job

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of a different choice to start out Debris with everything already set up. Since you know usually something like this would start at the very beginning and not three years in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I've been cackling my way thru Catastrophe on Prime. Seriously underrated comedy about two hosed up people trying to get their relationship going. Its loving raw at times.

Good show. It was quite popular here on the forums when it was airing.