Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Libluini posted:

So, would shmups like Space Harrier and Star Fox, where you move forward through a 3D-environment, then be "shmords"?

Shminward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Someone asked about Pawarumi before and I mentioned input lag felt pretty bad and killed it for me the first time I played. Tested it out again and it seems ok enough. Couldn’t really tell with a controller, felt slightly off with a stick but close enough that wasn’t a big deal. So from a technical standpoint controls more or less fine, graphics are nice (60fps with some drops just in cutscene/transitions), etc.

Gameplay wise it’s...ok. The mechanic feels slightly too complex for its own good. You have 3 colored shots: blue, green, and red. Shoot enemies of the same color, charges your shield, easy enough. Shoot enemies of the other two colors, it’s either for more damage, or to charge your bomb. That’s where it gets a bit much cause it’s hard to remember which color does what to what color. It visually shows you on the meters so you can tell what’s happening so you’re never completely lost (...I forget if they stop indicating when the meters are full), but in the spur of the moment with whatever colors flying at you, besides the shield recharge, it’s just kinda shoot a color and change if it’s the wrong action.

Difficulty wise (on normal) it’s pretty accessible because the shield. I don’t know how many hits you can take but it’s enough that you can take quite a number of hits before game over as long as you remember to recharge the shield (again, easiest of the three actions). Didn’t play through the end, just one game I think to stage 3 or 4, it felt long. Not sure if it was actually that long but it felt slow, probably cause the lower difficulty. I never really felt too in danger of dying and was surprised when I finally did.

So not necessarily my type of shmup, but it’s a perfectly cromulent one.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Muk Dumpster posted:

Doom table best table

Infinity Gauntlet. I will fight you over this. The one table with Zen gimmicks that are actually cool. (AFAIK there isn't a Doom table; you talking Fantastic Four?)

edit: additionally I have invented the genre of "Pinlikes". There are currently three games: Yoku's Island Express, Odama, and Momonga Pinball Adventures. All Rights Reserved ©

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 2, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Evil Fluffy posted:

:lol: at the idea a clusterfuck like Xenogears is anywhere near as good as Fallout 2 or Baldur's Gate. I know that game has a cult following but come on.

Its me, Imoen!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Let's keep our generes extra vague, like Adventure or Action.

Or we use RPG for any game with changeable equipment.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zurtilik posted:

Let's keep our generes extra vague, like Adventure or Action.

Or we use RPG for any game with changeable equipment.

Turn-based Overhead Isometric Side-scrolling Retro Roguelike Procedurally Generated Science Fantasy Card Battling Action Adventure RPG Dating Sports RTS Racer Farming VR Simulator

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fly Ricky posted:

Infinity Gauntlet. I will fight you over this. The one table with Zen gimmicks that are actually cool. (AFAIK there isn't a Doom table; you talking Fantastic Four?)

Boy are you in for a treat...

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Has anybody played Adonyne 2? It looks weird enough but steals from specific enough sources that I think I might really be into it.

It's good, and loving weird. You don't have to have played the first one, but it's also good and weird, and having done so will give you a couple of neat "oh poo poo" moments of recognition in 2. They're pretty independent of one another, though.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
finally bought a switch pro controller and GODDAMN that analog stick feels so good. whole thing feels great, i really should have had this day1 instead of making do the with the grip setup lmao.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

japtor posted:

Someone asked about Pawarumi before

That was me - thanks for the write-up!

Fly Ricky posted:

edit: additionally I have invented the genre of "Pinlikes". There are currently three games: Yoku's Island Express, Odama, and Momonga Pinball Adventures. All Rights Reserved ©

I liked the IG table too years ago (and the Thanos VA they got) but Pinball FX3 is different from Zen Pinball and has more real-life tables in addition to the originals. It has Bethesda tables and even stuff like Bob's Burgers and Aliens.

Star Wars isn't there, that became its own package, and unfortunately the Marvel tables aren't there either. Haven't played them since the PS3 days.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish the missions in AoC were as involved as in HW, you actually had to care about objectives in that.

I haven't unlocked a new character in a while was the big Korok dude the last one?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I wish the missions in AoC were as involved as in HW, you actually had to care about objectives in that.

I haven't unlocked a new character in a while was the big Korok dude the last one?

No there are tons more still

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Oh shiiit. Forgot about that one. I take it all back, Doom OWNS. Gonna fire it up right now.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

Turn-based Overhead Isometric Side-scrolling Retro Roguelike Procedurally Generated Science Fantasy Card Battling Action Adventure RPG Dating Sports RTS Racer Farming VR Simulator

Pocket Card Jockey?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vikar Jerome posted:

finally bought a switch pro controller and GODDAMN that analog stick feels so good. whole thing feels great, i really should have had this day1 instead of making do the with the grip setup lmao.

The pro controller should really come in the box instead of that plastic grip abomination. It's essentially a £60 fee for wanting to be able to play properly in docked mode.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Fly Ricky posted:

Does Creature in the Well fit in the Pinlike genre or is it more of a Pinlite?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Nintendo rewards is a joke. I received an email on 3/1 that I have 1,110 plat points and 120 of them are expiring this month.

There's a Zelda picross 3DS game for 1,000 plat points, but I only have 990. I guess those 120 points already expired.

:11tea:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

stev posted:

The pro controller should really come in the box instead of that plastic grip abomination. It's essentially a £60 fee for wanting to be able to play properly in docked mode.

Though once again, the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro+ is a fine alternative with a much easier price tag to swallow.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
mario 64 clearly wasnt designed for anything other than an n64 control stick, holy poo poo. thought the pro controller would handle it better, not worse. now i understand how people fall off the ledge easily in snow snow mountain. oh well, back to the no loading cart i go, the only way to play the goat

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Nintendo rewards is a joke. I received an email on 3/1 that I have 1,110 plat points and 120 of them are expiring this month.

There's a Zelda picross 3DS game for 1,000 plat points, but I only have 990. I guess those 120 points already expired.

the system is a joke because there was an automated reminder email malfunction?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

Yikes. At least it was a good joke. A+ for trolling the customer.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Amppelix posted:

The balance displayed in the automated email reminder =/= the balance in my account. Am I unjustified in being annoyed? Or should I be a more responsible Nintendo owner and check my point balances on a more regular basis?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Bloodstained kicks rear end. They even patched in a classic mode that’s a linear old-school Castlevania campaign

Bloodstained to me is Castlevania With Gun and I cannot stress enough how awesome this is

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

:lol: at the idea a clusterfuck like Xenogears is anywhere near as good as Fallout 2 or Baldur's Gate. I know that game has a cult following but come on.

Settle down "Evil Fluffy"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Wildtortilla posted:

The balance displayed in the automated email reminder =/= the balance in my account. Am I unjustified in being annoyed? Or should I be a more responsible Nintendo owner and check my point balances on a more regular basis?
The easier solution is to not pay attention to or care about platinum points, a fake currency with a value of less than a tenth of a penny.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you really had your heart set on that Zelda Picross thing you can earn 50 plat points by clicking on pictures of Poochy on the Yoshi's Crafted world page.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:popeye:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just saw that the Gotta Protectors translation is done, so we should be getting that soon?? I hope??

https://www.siliconera.com/switch-gotta-protectors-translation-is-complete/

The 3DS GP was a great tv game

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

There's another Tetris 99 event starting on the 4th. Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury themed.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I wish botw had hades god mode because man do I suck at this game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Amppelix posted:

the system is a joke because they dont offer anything worthwhile if you really want to press the issue

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

External Organs posted:

I wish botw had hades god mode because man do I suck at this game.

It's called food

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Andrast posted:

It's called food

I literally never thought to pull up the menu during a fight. Holy poo poo.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you cook a single small truffle it will do a full heal + one extra heart, it is very silly

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

porkinson posted:

Does Creature in the Well fit in the Pinlike genre or is it more of a Pinlite?

100% a Pinlite. Since you came up with that one, you’re fully entitled to all the royalties.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

External Organs posted:

I literally never thought to pull up the menu during a fight. Holy poo poo.

The real cheat code is realizing that any "hearty" ingredient cooked even on its own heals you completely and even gives you extra hearts. The cooking system is pretty broken.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've been playing BOTW with a DS4 and a Mayflash adapter. Then the game told me something about tilting the controller to do something.

Should I use a regular controller or will the tilt controls also work with a DS4?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Me going on Grindr for the first time after my marriage fell apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I've been playing BOTW with a DS4 and a Mayflash adapter. Then the game told me something about tilting the controller to do something.

Should I use a regular controller or will the tilt controls also work with a DS4?

DS4 tilt controls work via the Mayflash and 8bitdo adapters just fine