Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Outrail posted:

My new hire starts today, what dumb poo poo should I have her do to make her hate me as quickly as possible?

I don't think I can top the "forward email" one, but my suggestion is to try and respond to any question with either "Oh, I expected that you would already have known this, but I can answer it sure!" or "We already covered this, but I don't mind going over it again!". Bonus points if you have NOT already covered that topic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Brain Curry posted:

I’m sure that’s their sincere intention, and not a joke post on a comedy site.

Given the people I've worked with in the present and past, there are entirely too many people who actually think that way to assume a joke.
If it is a joke: documentation for everything, depending on what the work is. Paper trails are good and necessary but there is no quicker way to resentment than putting a paperwork barrier in the way of literally everything.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Brain Curry posted:

I’m sure that’s their sincere intention, and not a joke post on a comedy site.

No no, Skye is correct. I am a supermassive shithead and am actively trying to ruin the company, my career and the lives of my employees for absolutely no reason. Duh.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 2, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Outrail posted:

No no, Skye is correct. I am a supermassive shithead and am actively trying to ruin the company, my career and the lives of my employees for absolutely no reason. Duh.

I can only assume now that the thread author is your alt account and the entire time you were just fishing for ideas :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I find talking about anime helps build the loathing immediately. Especially here in Japan where I mispronounce every word and name.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Outrail posted:

No no, Skye is correct. I am a supermassive shithead and am actively trying to ruin the company, my career and the lives of my employees. Duh.

See, I read this and then look at my email window where the consequences of "saving a few bucks" are coming back to roost and we have to scramble to find a new building, because the supermassive shithead at the top sold our building, leased part of it back to stay in temporarily, and then hosed around and never found a new place as the non-renewable lease is a few months from ending and putting our entire data center in rented storage units for a while. Just because the cost of rental would have saved a couple percent over continued ownership (and of course new real estate would eat that entire savings).
Primed to believe the "actively out to sabotage" signals when they're being proven right daily.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SkyeAuroline posted:

Primed to believe the "actively out to sabotage" signals when they're being proven right daily.

Woah. The world really is a gently caress.

duddits
Dec 22, 2009
One thing that I dislike about the application process for jobs (in america at least) is having to fill out the stuff about have I ever lived under a different name.

I get to out myself as trans on every job application!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

George H.W. oval office posted:

Thats the good stuff.

My annoying coworker did this to one of my other coworkers. She was working from home and he called her to ask where a form was, and then when she ignored his call he emailed her. She got back 20 minutes later by emailing me instead with him ccd, telling me where the form was in her desk so I could show him (I didn't know where it was because its not related to my position). He can read so he got it himself. He then had a question about the form and emailed her asking. Again, she emailed me, ccing him, answering his question but directing it to me.

He used to like her as a coworker and after that the cracks began to show.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Zarin posted:

I don't think I can top the "forward email" one, but my suggestion is to try and respond to any question with either "Oh, I expected that you would already have known this, but I can answer it sure!" or "We already covered this, but I don't mind going over it again!". Bonus points if you have NOT already covered that topic!

I get the opposite from my annoying coworker, where its more like them asking me to send them something/do some mundane task that I've already done. I'll tell them I sent it already and they'll say they didn't get it. I then go find the sent message in my inbox and forward it to them again. Ive asked them if they know how to search in Gmail, and they say yes but I don't think they do. Instead of using search + sorting things into folders via Gmail they set up Google rooms for each individual person in our office, where they will then ask you poo poo + ask you to submit poo poo in that room. So our office has one big room, then every worker has there own room, and we also have another room for PO's with our procurement and finance departments, who ignore it entirely and do everything via scans and email anyway.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

My new hire starts today, what dumb poo poo should I have her do to make her hate me as quickly as possible?

Explain your Robosexual av and the history behind it. Ensure she knows exactly why you wanted us to pity gently caress a morose and spiteful robot.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

titty_baby_ posted:

Passive aggressively establish a hierarchy. If she asks you something via email, forward that email to another coworker and say "hey so and so can you help new hire with this?" And then answer the question in the email.

For example, new hire asks where a form is located. Forward new hires email, with them ccd, to another coworker, saying "can you show new hire where we keep the forms in the left drawer in that one desk in the back part of the office?". Youll be simultaneously answering the question, not responding to them directly, and wasting a third parties time.

This but delegate the task

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Outrail posted:

Just be yourself! You got this!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

duddits posted:

One thing that I dislike about the application process for jobs (in america at least) is having to fill out the stuff about have I ever lived under a different name.

I get to out myself as trans on every job application!

From a philosophical standpoint, the real you is the you you are right now, so I would say telling them your dead name is not necessary.

(I apologise if I have the wrong terminology for the concepts I mentioned, please correct me if I have made a mistake).

duddits
Dec 22, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

From a philosophical standpoint, the real you is the you you are right now, so I would say telling them your dead name is not necessary.

(I apologise if I have the wrong terminology for the concepts I mentioned, please correct me if I have made a mistake).

No, you're spot on, and thats how I look at it, but once that turns up on any kind of background check or financial stuff, you're either not hired for lying on the application, or fired for lying on the application.

I do get the concept, but it's an easy way to out me and toss me right in the trash can. The glittery trash can of course.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

duddits posted:

No, you're spot on, and thats how I look at it, but once that turns up on any kind of background check or financial stuff, you're either not hired for lying on the application, or fired for lying on the application.

I do get the concept, but it's an easy way to out me and toss me right in the trash can. The glittery trash can of course.

I thankfully haven't been asked that yet (same boat as you). Are you in finance or something similar? (or some public sector work digs pretty deep on applicants, I guess)

duddits
Dec 22, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

I thankfully haven't been asked that yet (same boat as you). Are you in finance or something similar? (or some public sector work digs pretty deep on applicants, I guess)

Nope, but a lot of corporate type jobs still do that level of background checks though. I think it also gets flagged on the I9 stuff to help prevent identity theft.

Even if it's not found til later, thats still 'well you lied on the application process, seeya. I really do understand the concept, it just gives people an out to not go forward with my application well before it'd be able to prove it was because of any sort of bias.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

duddits posted:

A potential solution I see would having background checks be "blind". Applicants submit all their personal information to the background check people directly and they just report to the hiring manager whether anything bad comes up.

I guess its finance jobs that actually do this level of checking? I've never dealt with it myself.

Edit: Actually I believe that's how its done here when hiring teachers, social workers and similar. They get a no-joke background check with fingerprinting and everything by the state government. I think the school district just gets a simple pass/fail back from the agency.

Pekinduck fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 2, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Even if you're gonna be the mail room drone, if you're direct hiring to a Fortune 500 they're gonna at least run credit check and criminal history background on you and your past names because???? Data driven hiring decisions I guess.

Often require the same for contractors even.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's a liability issue. If someone is hired without a background check, assaults another employee, and it turns out the background check would've turned up risk factors for that, then that's going to be evidence in the lawsuit against the company.

Remember, HR exists to protect the company from being sued by its employees. Everything they do is a matter of managing that risk. Some of them aren't very good at it, but that's what they're there for.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
False. HR exists to make everyone angry with each other and HR instead of focusing on the company itself.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Outrail posted:

Ask her if she has stairs in her house, and if she knows the terrible secret of space.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
How dare you nerds not appreciate a love story between a wizard lady and her Gundam! :argh:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Outrail posted:

False. HR exists to make everyone angry with each other and HR instead of focusing on the company itself.

The Office undersold irritation with HR, as Toby didn't do anything to deserve it. This week had to request an HR Director tell senior management to send in request forms the same way every other user does, and to stop having them email our team directly expecting preferential treatment. The director got annoyed that we would dare expect a VP to click a link.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeza posted:

As someone with a very ethnic name attached to a decidedly non-ethnic body, ~10 years ago I got very used to a very particular look of visible confusion and disappointment when arriving for an interview, so it's not like it doesn't imply anything about you. Nowadays, they just look you up on LinkedIn first (and maybe Facebook if they're psychos) in advance anyway so no photos means nothing if the position is in any way considered important.

CVs are declining in relevance for most people as so much recruitment now is web based through forms anyway, so as Mojo says, it can be held automatically identity blind.

my grandfather is adopted and the family is pretty gringo-fied anyway but people assumed I was spanish fluent at every job I've ever had so far lol. when I reported to my first duty station after tech school they had no idea who I was at first because they expected the brown looking dude from the class photo and not the 6 foot red head

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Larry Parrish posted:

my grandfather is adopted and the family is pretty gringo-fied anyway but people assumed I was spanish fluent at every job I've ever had so far lol. when I reported to my first duty station after tech school they had no idea who I was at first because they expected the brown looking dude from the class photo and not the 6 foot red head

Ah, los siento Miguel Sanchez. Mucho apologises

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Ask her if she has stairs in her house, and if she knows the terrible secret of space.

Screening out goons as part of the hiring process is a good call.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I figured out my coworker was a goon, after working with him for a year, when he said "cliffyb".

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I figured out my coworker was a goon, after working with him for a year, when he said "cliffyb".

I repost a lot of cursed images from the gbs thread here, and I had to admit to a coworker I go on SA because they were.convinced I was a channer

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

titty_baby_ posted:

I repost a lot of cursed images from the gbs thread here, and I had to admit to a coworker I go on SA because they were.convinced I was a channer

Yeah that's pretty much the only way I can see myself agreeing to disclose such information

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

gently caress SNEEP posted:

There are a significant amount of SA emoticons on my department's slack. I know somebody out there must be, if they've not moved on already.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Devs are fairly in-demand in the UK, so my CV is now just my name, phone number, job history that is relevant to the job that I'm applying for (so about ten year's worth), a sidebar with a list of things I have experience with (e.g: programming languages and frameworks, databases, web services etc) a mention of the fact that I have a bachelor's degree, plus 'Employment references and further work and education history available on request'. One side of A4.

This is largely because in my previous job I was responsible for hiring and I realised that I absolutely do not give a drat what someone in their late 30s got for their GCSEs or A Levels 20 years ago and I definitely do not need to know that they had a Saturday job in a supermarket when they were a teenager, because the only thing that mattered to me is what they've been doing in the field they're looking to work in.

I hadn't heard of this trend of people attaching photos to CVs or dumb poo poo like styling them like the front of a newspaper, thank god.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sardonik posted:

There are a significant amount of SA emoticons on my department's slack. I know somebody out there must be, if they've not moved on already.

Same, though I had to add :negative: because it is frequently useful.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Inzombiac posted:

Not my current job but I applied for a case advocate job for the IRS (essentially a person that works with people who are struggling to pay their taxes by trying to secure extra money/grants for them, a decently noble cause) and at the end of the very brief application process it automatically tells me that I'm not qualified.

Fine but I applied for a job with them three years ago where the posting also covered a supervisory position. They said I wasn't qualified for the entry-level job but was for the supervisor role (???) but they never followed up.
Not exactly sure what to believe.

Government work is great if you can get it and your priority is stability over pay. I don't make even an average wage for my city but I've never been without work, my hours don't get cut and because my work is not tied to making the numbers in a financial graph go up, my bosses are totally cool with me having down time.

Yeah the tracking systems are fuckin weird. My current job is a Senior level job title. But when I was hunting I applied for the non senior version of my same title at the same company. Few months later I got a rejection email but I saw there was now a posting for a Sr, applied to that one for shits and got the job.

Might’ve just been a case of “the candidates were getting dont quite have what we want, so let’s cancel the non sr posting and remake it” and mine was lovely enough to be rejected early on but good enough to get the job when they really needed me.

duddits
Dec 22, 2009

Pekinduck posted:

A potential solution I see would having background checks be "blind". Applicants submit all their personal information to the background check people directly and they just report to the hiring manager whether anything bad comes up.

I guess its finance jobs that actually do this level of checking? I've never dealt with it myself.

Edit: Actually I believe that's how its done here when hiring teachers, social workers and similar. They get a no-joke background check with fingerprinting and everything by the state government. I think the school district just gets a simple pass/fail back from the agency.

I've had that asked working in the insurance industry, when I applied for comcast, working in a warehouse, etc. Honestly I think it might be standard on I9 stuff now too, but I've been doing gig work and small business work for long enough now that i don't honestly know.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've been on a management course this week and they basically kicked it off by showing a Ted talk of some guy who loves Apple almost as much as huffing his own farts. Did you know everyone loves Apple and buys all their stuff because of their amazing values? Also imagine I'm doing William Shatner style pauses before every key word for the full effect.

Quote-Unquote posted:

This is largely because in my previous job I was responsible for hiring and I realised that I absolutely do not give a drat what someone in their late 30s got for their GCSEs or A Levels 20 years ago and I definitely do not need to know that they had a Saturday job in a supermarket when they were a teenager, because the only thing that mattered to me is what they've been doing in the field they're looking to work in.

I hadn't heard of this trend of people attaching photos to CVs or dumb poo poo like styling them like the front of a newspaper, thank god.

I've supported our hiring process over the years and I've seen the two ends of the scale on CVs: boomers emphasising the fact that they're divorced with no kids, and graduates listing a half dozen jobs from McDonald's to multiple positions they were furloughed from last year. Which is fine, it'll be good for our new starter when she can remove McDonald's from her CV and add her first job on a pharmaceutical company with us.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Marmaduke! posted:

I've supported our hiring process over the years and I've seen the two ends of the scale on CVs: boomers emphasising the fact that they're divorced with no kids, and graduates listing a half dozen jobs from McDonald's to multiple positions they were furloughed from last year. Which is fine, it'll be good for our new starter when she can remove McDonald's from her CV and add her first job on a pharmaceutical company with us.

As I've found out recently, Boomers who never had to create a resume in their lives are also the same people who won't Google "how to format a resume" and just assume you need to know they maintain a wood stove when they apply to sales jobs. They will also then fight anyone to tells them to remove it for inexplicable reasons.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

I've been on a management course this week and they basically kicked it off by showing a Ted talk of some guy who loves Apple almost as much as huffing his own farts. Did you know everyone loves Apple and buys all their stuff because of their amazing values? Also imagine I'm doing William Shatner style pauses before every key word for the full effect.

I am pretty sure that is my sleep paralysis demon when I don't take my anti-depressants.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mojo Jojo posted:

Although I'm seeing more and more grads from UK universities putting photos on. Which we have to autoreject without reading. I assume there's some reason for this but we can't even reach out and explain they need to stop it because the company is terrified of getting sued.

Weird, where did they get the idea that this was a thing? I’ve never seen it.

I can understand the rejection, but given you can guess race to about about 90% by name, higher after a phonecall, the photos aren’t gonna make much difference to the opportunity to discriminate.

Unless you’re trying to not subconsciously hire cuties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

wooger posted:

Unless you’re trying to not subconsciously hire cuties.

A manager dials into his zoom call with hr

"Jim I hear you have a proposition to help address the sexual harassment claims in your team"

"Yeah, what if we only hire uggos?"