Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's not that much to spoil if you've followed basically what Zack Snyder himself has said about the movie over the past couple of years. We know how it ends already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't particularly mind but with 3+ hours of new footage there's likely some surprises so I don't blame anyone who wants to go in fresh.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Just curious if any reviews will claim they loved the Russian family and taking it out ruined the movie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only people who are going to be really surprised by the Snyder cut are the people who denied it existing and/or people who think it'll be the exact same movie with a few different scenes and more consistency between scenes. That's not to say people who followed the development of this thing won't be but I think they have a better idea of what this is compared to the people who poopoo'd it or simply didn't care.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Martman posted:

Just curious if any reviews will claim they loved the Russian family and taking it out ruined the movie.

What if they really liked the 1989 Batman Danny Elfman soundtrack?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

They're in luck. There's a WAY better movie with that exact same soundtrack.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

They're in luck. There's a WAY better movie with that exact same soundtrack.

But Batman kills more people in it?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Their ears are broken.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

People who say they liked the soundtrack of the theatrical cut are sus as heck. It's one thing to say you didn't hate the film but there's nothing good about that soundtrack. It was rushed trash. I'm the first one to go on about the subjectivity of art and how there isn't any objectively terrible art but boy, does that soundtrack make it really hard to defend that stance.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah, dodgy facial CGI on Cavill and bad dialogue aside, I kind of liked the opening montage. But as soon as we got to the Gotham rooftop, the Batman 1989 music swelled, the whole thing lost me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

He sure does. Win win.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

He doesn't kill them. He just doesn't save them. From his fists and machine guns.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The thing about Keaton is he's danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Keaton's grin as he kicks a thug with explosives stuck to him down a manhole shows what Batfleck, with the right attitude, could have gotten away with.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SuperTeeJay posted:

Keaton's grin as he kicks a thug with explosives stuck to him down a manhole shows what Batfleck, with the right attitude, could have gotten away with.

It really is true, Snyder's heroes just don't smile enough.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jimbot posted:

The only people who are going to be really surprised by the Snyder cut are the people who denied it existing and/or people who think it'll be the exact same movie with a few different scenes and more consistency between scenes. That's not to say people who followed the development of this thing won't be but I think they have a better idea of what this is compared to the people who poopoo'd it or simply didn't care.

I don't think anyone who has heard anything about this one way or the other is going to be surprised, just the people who had no idea this was an entire thing

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Top left square should be "Grim / Grimdark"

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The whole "I see the Snyder cultists found this" thing is so prevalent and predictable at this point that someone made a bot account that posts each instance of someone posting extremely inflammatory, baity remarks about Snyder or his films then acting all "surprised_pikachu.jpg" that hardcore fans respond.

Edit: That bingo cards reminds me I'm going to ignore the discourse for a few weeks and just enjoy this film that probably would have never seen the light of day.

Edit 2: Also I'd have a space for "the theatrical cut was better" and/or "It was a little better than the theatrical cut but still a poor (superhero) film".

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 2, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's a good point but I didn't want to put that in because it's honestly a fair criticism. I tried to only do poo poo that's stupid, such as "this movie takes itself seriously" or "the things in the movie don't mean anything" or "this movie will inspire people to become insane fascists". That kind of nonsense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, some of those spots are surely theoretical fair criticism, no? Like its at least hypothetical possible that the film is in fact "too long", isn't it?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I want a bingo card that's just a list of 18-rated curse words Batman's gonna use.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jimbot posted:

The whole "I see the Snyder cultists found this" thing is so prevalent and predictable at this point that someone made a bot account that posts each instance of someone posting extremely inflammatory, baity remarks about Snyder or his films then acting all "surprised_pikachu.jpg" that hardcore fans respond.

Edit: That bingo cards reminds me I'm going to ignore the discourse for a few weeks and just enjoy this film that probably would have never seen the light of day.

Edit 2: Also I'd have a space for "the theatrical cut was better" and/or "It was a little better than the theatrical cut but still a poor (superhero) film".

Link?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/CultSnyder/status/1366454548240478211?s=20

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If anything, that account is a good reason to avoid twitter altogether. Those :psyduck: tweets are over dumb punchyman films. Imagine what kind of amazing, nuanced takes they have about things that actually matter.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, some of those spots are surely theoretical fair criticism, no? Like its at least hypothetical possible that the film is in fact "too long", isn't it?

That one is a direct result of being in a bingo square and not having enough space to write out a nuanced "The film is too bloated/long for the silly punchman story it's telling".

But yes some of them are theoretically fair, but I'm wagering most of them won't be!

Jimbot posted:

If anything, that account is a good reason to avoid twitter altogether. Those :psyduck: tweets are over dumb punchyman films. Imagine what kind of amazing, nuanced takes they have about things that actually matter.

One of the really wild things about post-post modernism (in my opinion, and yes this is a bit of a hot take) is that there is zero gap between important political stuff and cultural detritus; people are now relating to politicians in the same way that people were stanning celebs in the 80s. The new Taylor Swift is Andrew Cuomo. Yuck.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I had a laugh at this one:

https://twitter.com/Struggler2Dark/status/1366196519850946560

yeah man the demigod from outer space doesn't talk like a normal person. good catch.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's very good that characters in movies don't sound like how people actually talk, because most people are at least partially completely incomprehensible when they talk unless they try very, very hard

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

David Mamet sees that tweet and bursts into tears.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The actual worst line of dialogue delivered in a Batman movie is from Batman's parting words to Gordon in Dark Knight Rises, and it's one that could easily have been fixed by cutting out a few words instead of letting it all jumble.

(Of course, that twitter thread asserts that, conversely, MCU characters talk like real people)

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

2house2fly posted:

I had a laugh at this one:

https://twitter.com/Struggler2Dark/status/1366196519850946560

yeah man the demigod from outer space doesn't talk like a normal person. good catch.

I don’t particularly care about all this anti-snyderverse stuff but lol compare this to any Quentin Tarantino film and BvS becomes a kitchen sink drama

:Edit: actually a bit annoyed because of all these really do make sense in context

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 2, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The weird part is that this person keeps saying "for those of you saying he is an alien, he was raised like a normal person in Kansas!" which, fair, but this is missing the point that even beyond his strange origins these are also strange circumstances.

Like "I know exactly how someone raised in Kansas would talk to a billionaire dressed like a bat whose car he just wrecked with his body, and this ain't it chief!"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Even if we accept that midwestern upbringing is the paragon to which all other American childhoods pale next to, the guy spent like a decade as a drifter and then Zod happened.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I want MCU characters to talk like real world counterparts. So Tony Stark should adopt Elon Musks' ridiculous affected accent and stammering rambles about internet memes.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

well why not posted:

I want MCU characters to talk like real world counterparts. So Tony Stark should adopt Elon Musks' ridiculous affected accent and stammering rambles about internet memes.

I don’t really know how that would work - Elon already thinks he’s Stark and is trying to do his best impression of him

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guy A. Person posted:

The weird part is that this person keeps saying "for those of you saying he is an alien, he was raised like a normal person in Kansas!" which, fair, but this is missing the point that even beyond his strange origins these are also strange circumstances.

Like "I know exactly how someone raised in Kansas would talk to a billionaire dressed like a bat whose car he just wrecked with his body, and this ain't it chief!"

I mean, I know what'd I say in that circumstance

"lol owned"

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

well why not posted:

stammering rambles about internet memes.

So he should talk like Eisenberg Luthor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Robot Style posted:

Still too charismatic for the Muskman

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Robot Style posted:

That creepy laugh when Clark tells him he’s going to learn how to lose is fantastic. The second half of the movie when he’s red,mad and doesn’t care anymore about presenting a facade is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wish my Superman would laugh like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SmQ2n808mU