Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Colostomy Bag posted:

Interesting that Uncle Derek made it past their AI enhanced filter.

AKA some kid on day release from college manually going through ship_names.xls who has no idea who Derek Smart is, nor cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

War wouldn't happen. Like the fact that you can nudge an asteroid and create a planet killer makes all war in these low fi settings stupid.

In 40k, they've all got explicit ideological, biological, theological, or economic reasons to want to capture most planets. Not that they don't crack some instead, but they're generally going to duke it out for system control, then move on to slapfighting down the gravity well.

They'd be unable to sell their games systems otherwise

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Spectrum dug up some fun old SOCS claims from 2019

What Did CIG Say SOCS Would Do?

Improve server FPS:

Todd Pappy: "With our server frame rates the way that they currently run it's basically seven to ten frames. When we get it running at 30 frames a second on the server you'll see a major benefit"

Reduce AI bugginess and desync:

Chris Roberts: "If you get the server frame rate, which our target is 30 frames per second, up then the experience on the client-side is better and just a lot of that weird AI behavior that people see, or doors not opening when they should open, isn't actually necessary a bug, it's just that the server's gummed up as so far behind it it's not telling the client in time to do stuff."

End asset limitations:

Tony Z: "it's going to break us free from these limitations in terms of how many locations and how much content we can put into the solar system". "...now we can get all these new locations without impacting the frame rate at all."

Increase player counts:

Chris Roberts: "Will this allow us to increase the player count in the short term?"

Tony Z: "In theory it definitely should..." "Whether you'd be able to... push it out with 3.8 with a player count or whether some of that stuff would have to move to 3.9, that part we don't yet know, but that's definitely where we're headed."

Sean Tracy "...conceptually you could end up in a state that we've got, you know, let's say 200 players that are in every single location, every single object container, and it's actually all loaded in the end. But it really depends on how the players are playing, but we will find a sweet spot in here, because there is an edge where we go too far that it's actually not helping you so much, but I think even in that case we're still gonna be better"

What Did SOCS Actually Do?

Essentially none of the above. Server FPS is still low and out of sync, AI is still comically bad, player count is the same (and occasionally lower for special events). It did allow them to put some more assets into the PU. Before hitting a cap, and taking stuff out again.

Bonus Chris quote from March 2019:

quote:

If we were doing a sort of game mode, like Arena Commander or Star Marine, we could probably have more than a hundred players.

ToW :wave:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Server fps == tick rate?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

socs tier 0 though
checkmate fudsters

socs tier 4 will actively DDOS other games and star citizen will have player counts in the 6 digits per server (along with server meshing)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jonny Shiloh posted:

AKA some kid on day release from college manually going through ship_names.xls who has no idea who Derek Smart is, nor cares.

His credentials were being a bartender.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
You fudsters never seem to mention the hordes of game companies queueing up to use Crobbler EngineTM

PC Gaming was *literally* saved, and no one seems to credit poor ol' Crobbz.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

BrotherJayne posted:

Server fps == tick rate?

Seems to be

:shrug:

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Dwesa posted:

This deserves more views, but I don't understand why are people playing a game that frustrates them.

Sunk cost fallacy, in most cases. If you paid $300+ for a space game then you are going to try and wring $300 worth of "value" from it, and fun drops out of the equation

Also some people just unwittingly sabotage themselves, I have a friend who actively pursues the "most efficient" and thus most boring gameplay (stuff like the Destiny loot cave, grinding the same Borderlands boss endlessly etc.). They simultaneously complain bitterly about how boring the gameplay is. Pointing out the logic to them simpy gets "why would I play suboptimally when this maximises my gains per unit time?"

My conclusion is that some people just have a different definition of "fun" than I do :/

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
The only WH40k I've read is the Horus Heresy line of books which appears to be infinite in number.

Seems a bit silly to get upset about big dumb space fantasy. It's entertaining to read just like cowboy pulp fiction.
I'm not exactly looking for top tier writing if I'm reaching for Warhammer y'know.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dwesa posted:

Backers are sharing some ship names already:

When someone asked who is Derek Smart

Mostly correct, except for fact that CR hasn't delivered any space game in more than two decades :shrug:

That entire thread reads like it was just transported from the good old days of constant Forums Warfare in like 2016 or whatever. Genuinely don't know how they have the energy to work themselves up over this poo poo still lmao

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

By posting even a few sentences about the mechanics of Star Citizen’s lore, you’ve already put more original thought into it than Chris. He’s a cultural and artistic vulture, only capable of picking out isolated fragments of other sci-fi franchises that he likes for their aesthetic value, then stripping them of all context and meaning before shoving them into his game.

Pretty sure most ideas with CR start with the phrase:

"Like in the movie..."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Clive Johnson CIG@cjohnson posted:

No, the servers run the simulation as fast as they can up to a maximum of 30 frames per second. The packet rate sent by a server is determined by its frame rate, and how many entities are updating and have new data to send to the clients. Neither the frame rate of a client or the rate at which it sends packets to its server have any influence on this.
Uncontrolled variable tick rate. That should work wonders for the stability, predictability, and being able to reliably stay in sync with clients.

What were the issues SC was battling again…?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

The only WH40k I've read is the Horus Heresy line of books which appears to be infinite in number.

Seems a bit silly to get upset about big dumb space fantasy. It's entertaining to read just like cowboy pulp fiction.
I'm not exactly looking for top tier writing if I'm reaching for Warhammer y'know.

Give Eisenhorn and Ravenor a go, I bet of you

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

This deserves more views, but I don't understand why are people playing a game that frustrates them. Isn't the point of playing games having a good time? In roguelikes or Dark Souls, you're at least trying to solve a problem until you beat the boss or whatever, but in SC they're just trying to avoid bugs.

I have a feeling the cost of entrance is forcing people to "enjoy" the experience regardless of how it actually is.

When you spend >$100 on some early access game, you're going to view it differently than if it was like 0.99. You're also going to want the dev team to actually finish it, so you got to coddle them as well.

And I imagine this feeling only increases with the amount of money you plunk into it.

Suffering from buyers remorse is not an option!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

That entire thread reads like it was just transported from the good old days of constant Forums Warfare in like 2016 or whatever. Genuinely don't know how they have the energy to work themselves up over this poo poo still lmao

Derek smart being the evil boogey man they had to defeat so that Star Citizen could be great kept CIG going for like 5 years and helped to develop this super inclusive group of defenders and such. :)

It was a necessary era or honestly we might not have Star Citizen today because the gamers would have been focused on the actual game instead of protecting it from evil.

It helped to bring in concepts like "spite pledges" and also joy for how much money a multinational company employing hundreds of people makes from pledges, like it's some kind of personal victory. In a way they managed to get some of that whole Apple kind of must-buy it vibe going on.

Now though they are mostly good and every 8 months CR wiggles a little when people start getting antsy again and all is good.

I'm not sure how people still want to buy so much stuff and how they rake in all this money, it doesn't make logical sense to me, but it is what it is and that's what keeps it all rolling down the hill now. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tippis posted:

Uncontrolled variable tick rate. That should work wonders for the stability, predictability, and being able to reliably stay in sync with clients.

What were the issues SC was battling again…?

These concepts are part of why I am so excited for them to start working on their server meshing technology. I can't wait for all these things to just magically gel together because CR doesn't understand limitations of modern computing and how network architecture works. :)

At this point I feel the best they may get to is loading between servers, and you noticeably switch from one to another, or they do it during some kind of jump animation or something like warp speed you can't drop from until your on the new server and connected to it.

They might even get multiple servers for one region, and the fun of losing your teammates as you travel between them. But that's so far in the future for CIG we'll need to wait at least another 5 years or so before the basics are in place for something like that, if ever.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

And Games Workshop really wants to deliver that message about how bad the Imperium is- they've written approximately 700 books about it and also sold a dozen different lines of toys based on it!

Me, fascistly: "War is bad. Now that that's out of the way, here is novel #32 in my ongoing series about why Cobra Commander was secretly a great antihero and he cried manly tears every time he shot up a civilian populace in Vietnam and that's how he got so misguided that he wants to fire a superlaser at the president or whatever"

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 2, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dwesa posted:

Anyway, this applies to almost any setting or IP. And I guess this is how :crobear:'s mind operates when he steals from other settings.

I think the reason this goes over so many heads is that in GW, there's no contrast, every faction is essentially the same genocidal crusaders. Even the loving Tau had to become mind-controlling slavers or whatever. When the entire universe is that way, it's easy to read a "hard times need hard men" kind of attitude into it. To make it seem not just bad but unnecessary, there really needs a "here is a better alternative" somewhere, even if it's just a tiny fraction of the story. When the brightest thing in your setting is... the Orks, who genuine enjoy committing genocide? it's understandable that people would take that message out of it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Do any of these people realize that The Great Gatsby was about disillusionment? (I know it's referencing trailer, but trailer was also clueless}

Sarsapariller posted:

And Games Workshop really wants to deliver that message about how bad the Imperium is- they've written approximately 700 books about it and also sold a dozen different lines of toys based on it!

Me, fascistly: "War is bad. Now that that's out of the way, here is novel #32 in my ongoing series about why Cobra Commander was secretly a great antihero and he cried manly tears every time he shot up a civilian populace in Vietnam and that's how he got so misguided that he wants to fire a superlaser at the president or whatever"
Yeah, whatever was the original intent, I guess profits are always more important.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I think the reason this goes over so many heads is that in GW, there's no contrast, every faction is essentially the same genocidal crusaders. Even the loving Tau had to become mind-controlling slavers or whatever. When the entire universe is that way, it's easy to read a "hard times need hard men" kind of attitude into it. To make it seem not just bad but unnecessary, there really needs a "here is a better alternative" somewhere, even if it's just a tiny fraction of the story. When the brightest thing in your setting is... the Orks, who genuine enjoy committing genocide? it's understandable that people would take that message out of it.
I don't know, I assumed it's part of a genre that everything is poo poo. But I think they didn't think too much about how their setting or stories might affect beliefs of their customers.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Sarsapariller posted:

That's GI Joe's job and you loving know it.

Now I'm not a black library connoisseur by any means but as I recall most of the popular 40k's written stuff is either overtly dystopic or satirical (except space marine poo poo, stay away from that). Still, that has 10 times the potential of Star Citizen which is just car commercial references and bad WWII in space stuff. All of it is just the brainchild of a man who thought that Star Wars was about X-wings and TIE-fighters and want you to pay for the previlage of him working in hollywood again.

Muscle Tracer posted:

We'll see how the post Guilliman stuff turns out but I agree. If the Eldar werent Irish elf nazis or some human separatist faction exeisted (other than chaos) to add contrast it would be more clear.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 2, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

That's GI Joe's job and you loving know it.

Now I'm not a black library connoisseur by any means but as I recall most of the popular 40k's written stuff is either overtly dystopic or satirical (except space marine poo poo, stay away from that). Still, that has 10 times the potential of Star Citizen which is just car commercial references and bad WWII in space stuff. All of it is just the brainchild of a man who thought that Star Wars was about X-wings and TIE-fighters and want you to pay for the previlage of him working in hollywood again.

We'll see how the post Guilliman stuff turns out but I agree. If the Eldar werent Irish elf nazis or some human separatist faction exeisted (other than chaos) to add contrast it would be more clear.

There is another Human Separatist faction but in addition to being very minor, they are also fascists, complete with Roman Legionnaire trappings.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Here's my 40K story:

I painted some of their miniature pretty bright blue, yellow and purple colors when I got some from somebody way back in the day. :)

I never played the game or read any books, but mine were so cute looking. :3:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/toVVuoJ.gifv

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pixelate posted:

What Did SOCS Actually Do?

Essentially none of the above. Server FPS is still low and out of sync, AI is still comically bad, player count is the same (and occasionally lower for special events). It did allow them to put some more assets into the PU. Before hitting a cap, and taking stuff out again.

so were they able to add watermelons back into the game or

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fidelitious posted:

Horus Heresy is some of the better 40k literature (and involves many of their better authors)

It keeps going because it sells lol.

BrotherJayne posted:

Give Eisenhorn and Ravenor a go, I bet of you

Eisenhorn is THE #1 best 40k book for sure. They better not cock up the TV series! (they're gonna cock up the TV series)

The Titanic posted:

Here's my 40K story:

I painted some of their miniature pretty bright blue, yellow and purple colors when I got some from somebody way back in the day. :)

I never played the game or read any books, but mine were so cute looking. :3:

That's basically the real 40k experience, the game is so-so. Painting minis and talking about lore is the better part of 40k.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zaphod42 posted:

That's basically the real 40k experience, the game is so-so. Painting minis and talking about lore is the better part of 40k.

I enjoyed the painting. I actually also got like a few old sets, including I think Epic or whatever it was. All of them were in pieces and such or unassembled.

I had no idea what expectations were for what they were supposed to look like, so I combined all kinds of pieces together to make my troops look unique for each of them. From robot legs made from some space ship piece to hands from sprue pieces and leftover bits and bobs.

I was inventing "greebles" without realizing it but I had a lot of fun and all my guys looked cool and pretty. :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Titanic posted:

I enjoyed the painting. I actually also got like a few old sets, including I think Epic or whatever it was. All of them were in pieces and such or unassembled.

I had no idea what expectations were for what they were supposed to look like, so I combined all kinds of pieces together to make my troops look unique for each of them. From robot legs made from some space ship piece to hands from sprue pieces and leftover bits and bobs.

I was inventing "greebles" without realizing it but I had a lot of fun and all my guys looked cool and pretty. :)

Yeah kitbashing is where its at. I've gone from mixing in 3d printed heads and weapons to fully sculpting my own custom parts using greenstuff, and it feels really rewarding to have figures that don't exist anywhere else in the world because you made it up.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Bubbacub posted:

so were they able to add watermelons back into the game or

They were repurposed as the moons of Armagon

The moon's edible core has drawn tourists, and entrepreneurial spirits, from light-years around. Occasional deaths due to surface instability have not proved an impediment. Local currency is based on giant oblong pips, and is often used to fund the most flamboyant of funerals.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pixelate posted:

They were repurposed as the moons of Armagon

The moon's edible core has drawn tourists, and entrepreneurial spirits, from light-years around. Occasional deaths due to surface instability have not proved an impediment. Local currency is based on giant oblong pips, and is often used to fund the most flamboyant of funerals.

It's a testament to the dumbness of the lore that I can't tell if that's real or not.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
This is not the first post I've seen on the subject

quote:

Why I think a menstruation cycle would be appropriate for Star Citizen

Today at 7:20 am

Authenticity, fidelity, and industry first feature. It's like having a bullet in the chamber without ever seeing it - It's what makes guns feel so authentic.
It can be argued that one could just have menstruation "play out in the mind" - but so can eating, drinking, bullet in the chamber and so much more... But implied gameplay isn't what SC aims to be about, is it?

I know.

Gameplay is more important, which is why menstruation is a way to give fidelity to the female condition without impacting gameplay. Here's how:
Once a month (on average) a woman has her period for 3-4 days. Her hygiene stat receives a multiplier. By including sanitary supplies in a bathroom or toilet, one can offset the multiplier.

That's it.

It's a little detail that ties in passively to already planned features, but brings authenticity to gender. It's similar to having toilet paper. This became very apparent at the start of the pandemic.

Everything in Star Citizen revolves around an authentic experience as much as it can, without turning the game character into a tamagochi.

This is why eating and drinking is required once every couple of hours. This is why Ice-crème never melts and food doesn't decay or needs to be prepared. This is why you don't need to balance your nutrients like in Atlas, Project Zomboid, ECO or SCUM.

The Star Citizen universe offers enough creature comforts and convenience to offset the tedium of maintaining the human condition.

But the human condition is what gives Star Citizen it's authentic experience.
The human condition legitimizes the infrastructure built around the human condition. Shops, bars, restaurants. The whole UEE is built around accommodating the human condition.

Genders need to be authentic, and be legitimized by the game not just visually, but systemically in an unintrusive way, because genders are an experience that is part of the human condition.

I'd argue that a barely noticeable - but still present - red gradient tinge/hue on the bottom of the screen during the period would simulate the menstruation just enough to make the player aware that they are playing as a woman, not just a smaller re-skin of a male.

Some people argue that a woman's smaller frame gives them a tactical advantage - Well. Now there's a price to pay for that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jesus christ that started off awkward and then got really bad really fast

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

If females have smaller hitboxes, males should run faster and be stronger, and females better immune system

This need balance.

Males have chest target bigger, and are taller as well. And nothing to equalize.

Also females have more white cells so they should have better immune system

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
gently caress that loving guy forever, jesus christ

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Female astronauts just take contraceptive pills if they don't want to have a period in space (but they can have it if they want to)

The knowledge base of these people predates 60s.

quote:

red gradient tinge/hue on the bottom of the screen during the period would simulate the menstruation
:lol:
And fog on sides of the screen when they have vapors.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 2, 2021

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah I'm never sure if this is just the natural end point of commercial products, since you need to return to the same well repeatedly or gasp makes something new, or if encouraging fascism is in the cards. Playing the second of the newer Wolfenstein games I kinda had a moment where I realized it felt more and more like a nazi power fantasy to me. 40k is never going to progress toward being anti-fascist, just as apparently the Nazis in that Wolfenstein series continue to rule the world for decades after the first and second game.

People argue it's not fascist because you shoot nazis, but then after covid I realized - fascists don't care if you kill other fascists. That's the point. Meanwhile nazis and fascists still ruling these worlds, decade after decade, in game and out. Hrm.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Star Citizer: fidelity to the female condition

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Bumble He posted:

we had this so often inhere that antigrav stuff would change absolutely everything. but if im not mistaken they explain the hovering of the spaceships in star citizen with just very powerful thrusters im not too sure.

i am going off on a tangent but there was this one star trek (i think it was ds9) episode where a killer is using a projectile weapon, that beams the projectile into his victims room and then kills the victim.

everyone is like: “this is BRILLIANT, he can kill everyone on this station, without being seen!“

oh yeah, crazy so it just took the star trek folks several hundred years to discover that you could use beaming as a weapon...
that in fact you could do absolutely everything with beaming, like beam someones brains into space etc. when the crew is attacked on the bridge and they go into hand-to-hand combat...instead of just beaming those guys into the next cell.

this is just an example of how to me this scifi stuff completely falls apart sometimes.

that is all.

I mean, yeah, but the idea of using some mundane thing that has existed for decades to commit heinous atrocities against an unsuspecting civilization isn't exactly without real-world parallels. Ransomware, phone scams, and social media bot farms are all subversions of existing technology that seem obvious now, but didn't before the line had been crossed. I mean, the narrative arc of the 21st century thus far has been, "fly passenger jet into building, watch as society spends the next two decades eating itself."

Now, the fact that teleporter technology didn't continue to be used to commit random acts of consequence-free murder throughout the series after it had been introduced in that episode? That's the unrealistic part.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It's a testament to the dumbness of the lore that I can't tell if that's real or not.

The way you know it isn't real CIG-written lore is that there's no tradition of gift-giving associated with it and therefore no way to encourage the purchasing of ships.

Also, it was less than 1500 words and didn't mention any corporations or their histories at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gravity_Storm posted:

I think CIG are slipping in their old age, the old CIG would totally have charged money to reserve ship names. Buy a 10 pack for only $999!

they would have sold booster packs with 10 ships, where you dont know which names you would get.
and it would have sold like hotcakes, gotta catch em all!