Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Consummate Professional posted:

Did I accidentally miss a part 2in the show of the Epstein drive creation story? I seem to remember he starts to pass out while the ship continues to accelerate.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVDUd-mPkSg

its split up into multiple sections across an episode.

The clip misses the kicker that wraps up the story. At/near the end of the episode, it zooms in close on the nukes earth launched, showing that they're all equipped by with epstein drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

GodFish posted:

That's also Diogo.

as the show continues more and more characters are actually also Diogo, until the rocinante and the ships of the free navy, MCR, and UN are all completely staffed by diogo

marco inaros? you better believe that's also diogo, and no he still hasn't gotten laid

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

as the show continues more and more characters are actually also Diogo, until the rocinante and the ships of the free navy, MCR, and UN are all completely staffed by diogo

marco inaros? you better believe that's also diogo, and no he still hasn't gotten laid

When he said he crushes rear end to dust, he meant throwing rocks at Inners, where their asses are actually crushed into dust.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Nice, I'm envisioning this as a Rick and Morty type runaway loop.

---

The talk about helmets a few pages ago, I can let it go as a standard Hollywood-ism to show us the heroes' faces. But something similar that bugs be more, is how the central command posts of virtually all ships are consoles that you stand around, where a standard part of the universe is the criticality of being in crash couches in case of sudden G's

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I feel like they always strap in for combat but I could be wrong.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Expanse Revolutions

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eej posted:

I feel like they always strap in for combat but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure they do, but I think it sits in the same vein that people at their duty stations on a warship that is expecting to go into combat any time shouldn't be mulling around outside of a crash couch without a normal suit for basic safety reasons.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

gfarrell80 posted:

I recently read Don Quixote and I feel like one of the messages from the book is overlooked. It is not just a whacky tale about a well-intentioned but insane hero.
Cervantes lays it out in the first 50 pages. It is explicitly stated how Don Quixote's madness is derived from his rabid consumption of romantic medieval literature to the exclusion of all else. It is one of the first observations and warnings of how 'you are what you eat.' The media you consume will shape your world view and has the potential to distort your reality.

It is very modern in that sense. Don Quixote I do not believe should be in the same category as a prophet and a well-meaning guy in the right place and right time.
You're right about Don Quixote, but that's still Holden. His mom has this whole speech where she says he was raised to be the special savior for the commune/cult/whatever and how she told him to get as far as away as he could because of how that fucks with a kid's worldview.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

vessbot posted:

Nice, I'm envisioning this as a Rick and Morty type runaway loop.

---

The talk about helmets a few pages ago, I can let it go as a standard Hollywood-ism to show us the heroes' faces. But something similar that bugs be more, is how the central command posts of virtually all ships are consoles that you stand around, where a standard part of the universe is the criticality of being in crash couches in case of sudden G's

Ty has addressed this directly, and the answer was "it looks like poo poo and is hard to do on set".

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

vessbot posted:

There's foam to protect people's heads from bumps on the underside of the second deck level of Marco's ultra-high-tech Martian Free Navy flagship CIC and I just don't understand it at all

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Something tells me the big battleships aren't doing high g dodging maneuvers

Or maybe the cabin just emergency fills with Great Stuff

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mameluke posted:

There's foam to protect people's heads from bumps on the underside of the second deck level of Marco's ultra-high-tech Martian Free Navy flagship CIC and I just don't understand it at all

After the ring station incident, I can understand why people might be panicky about suddenly being flung into the roof.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I still wonder if the Royal Mounted OSHA mandated it after an actor bonked their head

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Warmachine posted:

I'm pretty sure they do, but I think it sits in the same vein that people at their duty stations on a warship that is expecting to go into combat any time shouldn't be mulling around outside of a crash couch without a normal suit for basic safety reasons.

I don't think they're expected to go into combat any time though? I think the Donnager is the only capital ship we see in combat and they were caught totally unawares (due to stealth). I assume that sensors can pickup drive plumes from very very far away and give them plenty of time to suit up.

But also do you really need a crash couch on a battleship? That thing would probably just break up on maneuvering as hard as the Roci.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Eej posted:

I don't think they're expected to go into combat any time though? I think the Donnager is the only capital ship we see in combat and they were caught totally unawares (due to stealth). I assume that sensors can pickup drive plumes from very very far away and give them plenty of time to suit up.

But also do you really need a crash couch on a battleship? That thing would probably just break up on maneuvering as hard as the Roci.

No, you definitely still do. The battleships can still accelerate pretty hard. You might not get as much sudden change in acceleration (jerk), but they can sustain high-G burns which you would definitely need a couch for. If your huge expensive state-of-the-art battleship can't do high-G burns, it's not gonna be anywhere that matters in time to do anything that matters.

Being in a crash couch is sort of like the seat belts on an airplane. If you are in or expecting high-G maneuvers (turbulence), you better buckle in. If the captain signals that high-G maneuvers are incoming (selt belt sign goes on), you better hurry to a crash couch and buckle in. If you are sleeping, you better buckle in because you can't quickly respond to a change in conditions. If you have a planned break from high-G burns or maneuvers, it's safe to get up and walk around (but you should be aware of where you can go to strap in if things change).

The fact of the matter is that most spaceship crews spend most of their time stuck in couches. And that's boring to film and boring to watch.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 1, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gully Foyle posted:

No, you definitely still do. The battleships can still accelerate pretty hard. You might not get as much sudden change in acceleration (jerk), but they can sustain high-G burns which you would definitely need a couch for. If your huge expensive state-of-the-art battleship can't do high-G burns, it's not gonna be anywhere that matters in time to do anything that matters.

Being in a crash couch is sort of like the seat belts on an airplane. If you are in or expecting high-G maneuvers (turbulence), you better buckle in. If the captain signals that high-G maneuvers are incoming (selt belt sign goes on), you better hurry to a crash couch and buckle in. If you are sleeping, you better buckle in because you can't quickly respond to a change in conditions. If you have a planned break from high-G burns or maneuvers, it's safe to get up and walk around (but you should be aware of where you can go to strap in if things change).

The fact of the matter is that most spaceship crews spend most of their time stuck in couches. And that's boring to film and boring to watch.

Why would they spend most of their time in couches? Unless you're in a battle or responding to something urgent surely everyone cruises at 1g acceleration. Remember you're still accelerating all the time. Just at 1g. Why would you need more than that for most things?

Jows
May 8, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why would they spend most of their time in couches? Unless you're in a battle or responding to something urgent surely everyone cruises at 1g acceleration. Remember you're still accelerating all the time. Just at 1g. Why would you need more than that for most things?

quote:

responding to something urgent

Ruh roh! Bossmang, just spotted a carbonaceous asteroid (dark, low-albedo) that's gonna smack into us in 8 seconds, better wait for Timmy and Jasper to strap in before going evasive. Ooops, we're dead, sassa que?

Space sucks. Stay home, wear paper clothes, and smoke weed 24/7 to make your protein gruel taste good.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

And it might seem counterintuitive because you are conditioned to think of 1g as 'stationary', but on a solar system scale that constant acceleration actually moves you around pretty quickly.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Alchenar posted:

And it might seem counterintuitive because you are conditioned to think of 1g as 'stationary', but on a solar system scale that constant acceleration actually moves you around pretty quickly.

Totally. Quick math, after twelve hours at a one-gee burn you’re moving at 423 km/s relative to your starting velocity. If you impact a “stationary” micrometeoroid that masses one measly gram, that sucker is going to impart a whopping 89 megajoules unto your sorry tin can full of air and meat.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Kazinsal posted:

Totally. Quick math, after twelve hours at a one-gee burn you’re moving at 423 km/s relative to your starting velocity. If you impact a “stationary” micrometeoroid that masses one measly gram, that sucker is going to impart a whopping 89 megajoules unto your sorry tin can full of air and meat.

If we're lucky it imparts a fraction of those joules making a pair of holes, and keeps the rest as it passes through.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 1, 2021

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

True, fair enough, I was exaggerating and perhaps unfairly. Most people don't need to accelerate hard, and could spend a lot of time out of couches.

Our viewpoint characters do spend a good deal of time needing to get somewhere quickly though (or in and around tense situation that might need sudden acceleration), and so would realistically spend a lot of time in couches. Like in this season, Holden + crew were chasing down the Zmeya which they knew had the protomolecule sample, and thus would probably trying to burn hard for it. After that, they are trying to intercept the Chetzemoka, and would probably be going fast to get there too. But in the name of filming, they don't show the Roci crew in couches/chairs most of the time. Which is perfectly fine in my opinion. Otherwise you end up with the Bobbi/Alex scenes where it feels like they haven't done anything or gone anywhere.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 1, 2021

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

AtraMorS posted:

You're right about Don Quixote, but that's still Holden. His mom has this whole speech where she says he was raised to be the special savior for the commune/cult/whatever and how she told him to get as far as away as he could because of how that fucks with a kid's worldview.

Eggh... maybe. Holden doesn't really have his reality manipulated by the media he consumes or his upbringing though.

I too thought Maneo getting a nosebleed from his planetary flyby was overly dramatized. Pretty sure it would still feel like he was on the float unless he was literally bouncing off the atmosphere. But you can't set up wailing awesome rock music and an eexxxtreeeeeeeme racer pilot and just have him sitting there quietly. You gotta do something.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

gfarrell80 posted:

Eggh... maybe. Holden doesn't really have his reality manipulated by the media he consumes or his upbringing though.
He isn't at the point where he's hallucinating windmills turning into wizards, but that doesn't mean his upbringing didn't warp his view of reality a little. You tell a kid he's The Promised One enough times, and it's more likely he'll respond to a distress call that everyone in their right mind would ignore. Or they might fail to recognize that Don Quixote is satire (as Holden did).

Quixote's most fundamental delusion isn't his hallucinations; it's the basic idea that this knight errantry poo poo is even a thing people do.

e: I mean, I get what you're saying, but it's a difference of degree, not of kind. Holden isn't as full-blown insane as Quixote, but his worldview is skewed away from his peers in the same way.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 2, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The best part of the novel Don Quixote novel is the hilarious book burning bit such as the insider joke from author how things like trashy romance novels ended going into the fire.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

AtraMorS posted:

He isn't at the point where he's hallucinating windmills turning into wizards, but that doesn't mean his upbringing didn't warp his view of reality a little. You tell a kid he's The Promised One enough times, and it's more likely he'll respond to a distress call that everyone in their right mind would ignore. Or they might fail to recognize that Don Quixote is satire (as Holden did).

Quixote's most fundamental delusion isn't his hallucinations; it's the basic idea that this knight errantry poo poo is even a thing people do.

e: I mean, I get what you're saying, but it's a difference of degree, not of kind. Holden isn't as full-blown insane as Quixote, but his worldview is skewed away from his peers in the same way.

Well, by the lesser definition, anybody who has an altruistic or idealist streak in them ingrained from some childhood source is a Don Quixote.

That is part of the propaganda of the show I guess: any belief of trying to change or help people makes you a hopeless naive possibly crazy idealist?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never read Don Quixote, my high school english class mostly because we pretty much just read Canadian books (Ugh Margret Lawrence you're sooo boring) So all I know about it is mostly from Over Sarcastic Production's video on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2C--8o3MVE

I realized I confused about something, for some reason I thought the Scopuli was the ship Julie Mao was on, but no, it was the Anubis, the Stealth ship they found. It's really obvious and I have no idea why I didn't get that before.

Also they changed the bridge of the Roci right? I remember Alex being way more on a platform than he is in season 1.

The whole boarding of the Anubis is really well filmed, straight up Aliens or Event Horizon poo poo. The drone Alex uses to explore has some 40k Tau aspects to it.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 2, 2021

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

gfarrell80 posted:

Well, by the lesser definition, anybody who has an altruistic or idealist streak in them ingrained from some childhood source is a Don Quixote.

That is part of the propaganda of the show I guess: any belief of trying to change or help people makes you a hopeless naive possibly crazy idealist?
Or it means that the nature of sci-fi reverses the relationship of the reader to the moral era in question. With Quixote, the reader is looking back at a moral system already considered antiquated, but with The Expanse and Holden, our moral norms are being flung into the far future. To everybody else in the show, Holden kind of looks like Quixote, but to us his morals are more or less familiar (albeit pretty rigid).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hah, I forgot that the first time they meet Miller is in the shoot out at the hotel on Eros.

That guy that snuck aboard on Tycho is an rear end in a top hat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Anyabus.

AtraMorS posted:

Or it means that the nature of sci-fi reverses the relationship of the reader to the moral era in question. With Quixote, the reader is looking back at a moral system already considered antiquated, but with The Expanse and Holden, our moral norms are being flung into the far future. To everybody else in the show, Holden kind of looks like Quixote, but to us his morals are more or less familiar (albeit pretty rigid).

I've always found the assumption that older systems are inherently outdated to be, at best, myopic.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Phanatic posted:

People. Human beings. Real human beings do not get on a spaceship to travel some unknown distance for some unknown objective. To get real human beings to even get on a boat without knowing any of that stuff, you need to press-gang them. But these people get on a loving interstellar spacecraft *when they don't know why they're getting on it*. They're not introduced to the purpose of the journey, or even to the people they're going with, until they're already in space. For that matter, if you're going to hire a bunch of expert scientists for your hugely expensive interstellar voyage, you will introduce them to each other beforehand to make sure none of them hate each other and can actually work together.

Prometheus has a shitload of problems, but I don't think this is one.

Some rich rear end hole has gone to these people and told them "hey, I am willing to give you a billion dollars if you give me 5 years of your life, but you're going to be literally giving up all 5 years of it."

On top of that, they're all going to spend 90% of their time in cryo. So its like getting a billion dollars for 6 months of work, tops.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

twistedmentat posted:

I realized I confused about something, for some reason I thought the Scopuli was the ship Julie Mao was on, but no, it was the Anubis, the Stealth ship they found. It's really obvious and I have no idea why I didn't get that before.

Its a bit confusing but I believe Julie left Ceres on the Scopuli on an intercept course with one of Mao's ships that was leaving Eros - they start to attack it, at which point the Anubis (the stealth ship) unstealths and attacks the Scopuli, taking Julie and the OPA captive. The Anubis gets overrun with protomolecule at some point after blowing up the Cant and Julie escapes on one of the Anubis' shuttles.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Season one does get very confusing with so many ship names and trying to follow who was on what ship and what each ships purpose was. I'd be mostly lost without Miller's summary near the end.

You have the Canterbury, the Knight, the Anubis, the Anubis-1A, the Donnager, the Scopuli, the Razorback, the Tachi and then the Rocinante. I'm probably missing one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Screaming Firehawk

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Flyin' Alamo

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bedshaped posted:

Season one does get very confusing with so many ship names and trying to follow who was on what ship and what each ships purpose was. I'd be mostly lost without Miller's summary near the end.

You have the Canterbury, the Knight, the Anubis, the Anubis-1A, the Donnager, the Scopuli, the Razorback, the Tachi and then the Rocinante. I'm probably missing one.

I kinda like it. They decided “gently caress them kids” in regards to us viewers who aren’t smart enough to keep up or have the attention span to pay absolute attention the entire time. But yeah, without Miller’s summary I’d probably have to rewatch the entire first season the first time I watched it. :v:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

GodFish posted:

Its a bit confusing but I believe Julie left Ceres on the Scopuli on an intercept course with one of Mao's ships that was leaving Eros - they start to attack it, at which point the Anubis (the stealth ship) unstealths and attacks the Scopuli, taking Julie and the OPA captive. The Anubis gets overrun with protomolecule at some point after blowing up the Cant and Julie escapes on one of the Anubis' shuttles.

What I recall was that the Anubis -was- the ship leaving Phoebe Station (the research station where the protomolecule war apparently originally found, but which Mao had destroyed and cleaned of all evidence) with. the protomolecule sample. Julie had information somehow that there'd be a ship on this particular flightplan and got the OPA together on the Scopuli to intercept it, but none of them had any idea that they were actually going up against a high-tech stealth ship, so it easily curbstomped and boarded the Scopuli before the latter could even realize how hosed they were.

That's also why Mao and his goons had to track down Julie on Eros after she escape the Anubis and went there. The Anubis seemingly dropped out of contact with them entirely when the sample got loose and infested the ship, so when Julie (who they probably knew had been captured on the Scopuli and kept aboard the Anubis) then turned up on Eros, it was an unexpected chance at recovering the sample which they immediately jumped at.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

twistedmentat posted:

That guy that snuck aboard on Tycho is an rear end in a top hat.

He never asked for this ☹

Him getting mundged by the PM was dope tho

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, how Julie got from the Scopuli to the Anubis was what confused me. She is also the ones that shut down the reactor and vented this Anubis as well? We see in the cold open for the series she is able to walk around the Anubis without a suit.

BrotherJayne posted:

He never asked for this ☹

Him getting mundged by the PM was dope tho

He asked for it when he snuck about the Roci and started broadcasting their location, and getting Erinwright's goon squad after the Roci crew.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Slashrat posted:

What I recall was that the Anubis -was- the ship leaving Phoebe Station (the research station where the protomolecule war apparently originally found, but which Mao had destroyed and cleaned of all evidence) with. the protomolecule sample. Julie had information somehow that there'd be a ship on this particular flightplan and got the OPA together on the Scopuli to intercept it, but none of them had any idea that they were actually going up against a high-tech stealth ship, so it easily curbstomped and boarded the Scopuli before the latter could even realize how hosed they were.

That's also why Mao and his goons had to track down Julie on Eros after she escape the Anubis and went there. The Anubis seemingly dropped out of contact with them entirely when the sample got loose and infested the ship, so when Julie (who they probably knew had been captured on the Scopuli and kept aboard the Anubis) then turned up on Eros, it was an unexpected chance at recovering the sample which they immediately jumped at.

I think we see them (the Scopuli) approach a ship and then a stealth ship shows up next to it, but maybe it was disguised, or I'm just misremembering.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, how Julie got from the Scopuli to the Anubis was what confused me. She is also the ones that shut down the reactor and vented this Anubis as well? We see in the cold open for the series she is able to walk around the Anubis without a suit.

So the Anubis boards the Scopuli and spaces the crew but one of the protogen people recognized Julie as Mao's daughter so they lock her up in a cell. Then the entire crew of the Anubis gets infected with the protomolecule. Alone in the ship, Julie breaks out, finds it, gets infected, parks the ship, powers down, plants an OPA beacon and takes the shuttle to Eros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Went back to rewatch the scene in S01E09. The Scopuli hid behind an asteroid along the Anubis' course. They only had a really grainy view of it on the scopes, but the stealth ships were around the size of a light freighter, which is what they'd been told the Anubis was. As soon as they fire up and burn after it to board, the Anubis flips around and brakes to intercept them in turn, sending breaching pods of its own as it passes. The belter guy with Julie does yell "Where did that come from?" as soon as the ship flips, because the scopes immediately get a clearer view of it now that they aren't staring at its drive plume and reveal it to be a gunship. It comes across as just a moment of initial confusion though, because they thought the Anubis was a freighter and they are looking at a whole different ship all of the sudden, but Julie quickly realizes that they've just gotten it all wrong and the gunship is the Anubis they were out there for.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 2, 2021