Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Phigs posted:

They're definitely going to put some kind of timer into Death Loop and it's going to make me hate it. Best thing about these kinds of games is just taking your time to pick it clean and explore and poo poo. If Mooncrash didn't let you break the timer I would not have enjoyed it I don't think.

I hate timers too but according to this, "you're not on a timer"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7A-xbYoqlY&t=50s

quote:

What is DEATHLOOP? Arkane Lyon’s own Dinga Bakaba sheds light on the mysteries of Blackreef and how to break the loop in DEATHLOOP Explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Pookah posted:

I will never play a game that puts me under timer stress constantly, no goddamn way. I like to potter about and find interesting junk in corners.

Outer Wilds is probably the most obvious example of a strict timer (23 minutes?) in a modern game I can think of, and that game is literally about nothing else aside from puttering about finding interesting junk in corners.

Just saying these two things are not incompatible.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
If you bounced off of Bioshock 2, give the Minerva's Den DLC a try before you move on completely. It's a short, self-contained and poignant story that condenses all the best parts of Bioshock 2 into only a few hours of gameplay. And 2 has the best gameplay of the entire Bioshock series.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Mongolian Queef posted:

I'm glad they are addressing this because it makes a lot of people (not me) very upset. I'm imagining that all of the targets continue to go about their daily routine if you miss them, so that you can keep going the next day, but if you want you can restart as well. or keep trying until you are killed. That'd be a 'not a timer' timer on the whole thing.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Mongolian Queef posted:

This makes it seem a bit Hitman-ish. Which is promising.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
From the way they’re describing it it sounds like the game works on a level select system. Each loop you have a limited amount of “levels” you can play, and you can do things in one level that influences the behavior of your targets in other levels. The way to “beat” the game will be to find the right combination of level/time of day to successfully kill every target.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

From the way they’re describing it it sounds like the game works on a level select system. Each loop you have a limited amount of “levels” you can play, and you can do things in one level that influences the behavior of your targets in other levels. The way to “beat” the game will be to find the right combination of level/time of day to successfully kill every target.

So they took a lot of inspiration from Mooncrash then. Death Loop looks fantastic.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mooncrash was 100% a POC for Death Loop

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

HenryEx posted:

There was nothing scary about SS2 except for enemies respawning and your weapons breaking mid combat

Monkeys.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hannibal Rex posted:

If you bounced off of Bioshock 2, give the Minerva's Den DLC a try before you move on completely. It's a short, self-contained and poignant story that condenses all the best parts of Bioshock 2 into only a few hours of gameplay. And 2 has the best gameplay of the entire Bioshock series.

Thanks for the recommend :) On reflection, I think I was just a bit burned out on the whole Bioshock atmosphere/style. I'll definitely be coming back to it after a break.
Just replayed Mass Effect pretty completely, largely just to make sure my carryover character would be decent. ME was still fun, though there are definitely a good many flaws.
I'm about 4 hours into ME 2 and am enjoying it muchly. Its similar to the first to feel like a continuous theme but different enough to be interesting.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Kibayasu posted:

The best role in Prey is “person who throws reployers at everything”

The running joke about reployers is my favorite thing in Prey.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Entropic posted:

The running joke about reployers is my favorite thing in Prey.

The thing that makes it funny is it was put in to annoy the other devs and they just rolled with it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
You do know that a complete remaster of the Mass Effect trilogy is being released in a couple of months, right?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hannibal Rex posted:

You do know that a complete remaster of the Mass Effect trilogy is being released in a couple of months, right?

I did not know that, but it's fine - as I said, I've been out of gaming for so long that even PS3 games look very shiny and good to me :blush: . I'm loving ME2 so far - the gameplay is suprisingly varied, as are the team members. Currently I'm sticking with Katsumi for sneak kills, and Jack for flinging off cliff kills. I'm sniping everything in sight, it's great.
I'm back on PS3 since my brother took the controller to bits and fixed the problem - it was the thing with the little black foam strip getting too thin to prevent ghost button presses.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've decided to replay Prey and knock out a few remaining achievements before Deathloop gets released, does anyone have tips for a no neuromod run? I'm not looking forward to the limited inventory space, but it might keep the survival horror atmosphere going for longer.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Grenades are your friend. The wrench knockdown chip for the scanner is really good - you often knock a phantom or mimic silly when it rushes you, and that makes a big difference. Sneak everywhere. Recycle everything you don't need and carry around a fuckton of consumables.

Oh, and set up a turret or two in high-traffic areas that you'll be passing through often. Turrets are really good time- and life-savers early on.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Turrets are great :kimchi:

You can take down a Nightmare with just a few well-placed turrets.

Edit: Thinking about replaying the game with these: https://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/16, https://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/55

itry fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 27, 2021

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Getting the upgrade to your jetpack the first time you exit the station is also an excellent time investment for a No Neuromods run; between a fully upgraded jet pack and GLOO, you can just platform above and entirely avoid all the baddies in many areas. You can get the upgrade floating waaay out in space the first time you go to Hardware too, which makes some areas like the Power Plant and Life Support far easier to get through.

No Neuromods taught me the important lesson of looking up! :eng101:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I usually don't like to sequence-break, but I'll make an exception for the no neuromods run. I also plan to use a ton of lures and recycle grenades.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 27, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Hannibal Rex posted:

I usually don't like to sequence-break, but I'll make an exception for the no neuromods run. I also plan to use a ton of lures and recycle grenades.

Wen you say sequence-break, do you mean like using Gloo to glitch-clip your way through the elevator in lobby, or do you mean just getting a lot of vertical movement to avoid areas? Because I'm pretty sure the devs explicitly designed for the latter, while for the former you might as well get one of those all-achievement script thingies.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Wait, there are clipping exploits in this game?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Angry Diplomat posted:

I feel like it has been patched and you need to find a 1.0 exe to do it (might be wrong), but you can stick two gloo glops on a wall above each other in such a way that the climbing animation onto the lower one helps the top one shove you through walls and out of bounds. The same exe allows you to stick gloo onto doors and use recycler grenades to displace them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can clip into the elevator and use that to beat the game in like thirty minutes

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's easy enough to do that I did it by accident and lost a bunch of progress by getting stuck outside the map :mad:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Serephina posted:

Wen you say sequence-break, do you mean like using Gloo to glitch-clip your way through the elevator in lobby, or do you mean just getting a lot of vertical movement to avoid areas?

Nah, I'm talking about getting the ARTX v2 chipset off Grant Lockwood's body in the first place. It's so far out that you wouldn't find it by normal exploration, but to activate his tracking bracelet you need to reach Deep Storage and advance the plot there to progress.

The way I normally play, I'd have already cleared 90% of the station by then.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Immersive sims are 100% designed to let you take advantage of prior knowledge or just thorough exploration. Otherwise they'd have put an artificial gate in front of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Really torn on Death Loop. Shooting people sucks, I'm not a monster. AFAIK there's no monsters to shoot and there's no way to don't shoot the people, the whole point seems to be "definitely shoot the people and do it in a crazy way." However all of their game's have been pretty drat good so far, Prey and Mooncrash are both "still talk about 10 years later" games.

They really not gonna throw us a non-lethal button and a super-wrench?

Alternatively I would accept a way to kill all targets in such a way as to avoid any direct responsibility, there's no crime in knocking over a domino that ends up being in a rube goldberg contraption where someone accidentally drops a piano on someone's head

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I vaguely recall someone clipping out of the intro sequence and finding out it actually did play out in the shifting studio onboard Talos.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Khanstant posted:

Really torn on Death Loop. Shooting people sucks, I'm not a monster. AFAIK there's no monsters to shoot and there's no way to don't shoot the people, the whole point seems to be "definitely shoot the people and do it in a crazy way." However all of their game's have been pretty drat good so far, Prey and Mooncrash are both "still talk about 10 years later" games.

They really not gonna throw us a non-lethal button and a super-wrench?

Alternatively I would accept a way to kill all targets in such a way as to avoid any direct responsibility, there's no crime in knocking over a domino that ends up being in a rube goldberg contraption where someone accidentally drops a piano on someone's head

Well, the people are all cartoonish caricatures of capitalist monsters, if it helps. Doesn't particularly seem like there's anything like sympathetic badguys there?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Lichtenstein posted:

I vaguely recall someone clipping out of the intro sequence and finding out it actually did play out in the shifting studio onboard Talos.

Yeah, the level geometry in this game is basically Swiss cheese. The any% record is just under 7 minutes and it's a trip to watch (spoilers I guess although literally the entire plot is skipped :lol:):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkKq_n_m1fk

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1379553261863194625?s=20

:bahgawd:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Deathloop delayed again

https://twitter.com/deathloop/status/1380160357872861185/photo/1

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
All good I might be able to buy a ps5 by September

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Always fine seeing a delay when it might help the game.

Is there a dedicated Deathloop thread, or are we just talking about it here until it's closer to release?

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Big bummer because I took a week off. Hopefully I'll be able to finish Jaws of the lion in it's place.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gadzuko posted:

Yeah, the level geometry in this game is basically Swiss cheese. The any% record is just under 7 minutes and it's a trip to watch (spoilers I guess although literally the entire plot is skipped :lol:):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkKq_n_m1fk

It's somehow immensely satisfying to find out that you actually are in the sim room in the intro portion and there really is a whole space station around you during that bit even if you normally never see it. :psyduck:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

It's somehow immensely satisfying to find out that you actually are in the sim room in the intro portion and there really is a whole space station around you during that bit even if you normally never see it. :psyduck:

Would you say it's.... immersive?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

aw fuckin hell. it happens but i wish we knew earlier.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Think imma start a new game of Prey now. Just did Fallout New Vegas (excellent) and Far cry 3 (awesome, except for the entire plot), so I think I'm ready to revisit Prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just got gifted this game. Anything really useful to know character build wise (like any bad trap options or anything that will lock me out of poo poo)?