Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

My Face When posted:

I like Drive, but i had a roommate that thought it was one of the best.

He also thought interstellar was the best.

I need better friends. Or no friends.

dude knows what he likes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

That baby was annoying as gently caress. Thanks God.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

dude knows what he likes

True. Im sure he thought my tastes were lovely too.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Given how populated the Marvel Universe is, it's likely the snap wouldn't effect a single person on Earth. Maybe a handful at most.

Unless Thanos' wish was something really specific, like, "For each inhabited planet, halve their population of intelligent civilized creatures", rather than a more generic "Halve the population of the universe"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
What's wrong with Interstellar? I thought it was a cool movie.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I liked it too but it breaks down almost completely if you think about it at all

I mean where does Matthew McConaughey go at the end of the movie, the wormhole is gone he has no FTL and no way of knowing where Catwoman is. He just flew off into space to go die I guess.

Still made more sense than Ad Astra

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

its way too long and the ending is dumb. not a bad movie by any means, just flawed

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tighclops posted:

I liked it too but it breaks down almost completely if you think about it at all

I simply would not think too hard if at all about the hollywood movie about black hole science

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Interstellar loses very little if you strip out 100% of the dialogue. a really beautiful, well-scored film with cool looking robots

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I simply would not think too hard if at all about the hollywood movie about black hole science

You haven't overanalayed everything to the point you can no longer enjoy any form of storytelling?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The storytelling in Interstellar is not it's strong suit.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Interstellar is the equivalant of Tron: Legacy.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY has issued a correction as of 23:09 on Mar 2, 2021

Serf
May 5, 2011

indigi posted:

Interstellar loses very little if you strip out 100% of the dialogue. a really beautiful, well-scored film with cool looking robots

perhaps this is why half the dialogue in tenet is unintelligible. except that movie is ugly and unappealing

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

indigi posted:

I've started reading Ministry for the Future. it begins in 2024 with a heat wave that kills 20 million Indians. owie wowie!

i started reading this book last night too and wound up reading half of it in one sitting while i was baked (maybe also skipping over the boring quantitative easing parts). man, climate change does not sound good. somebody should really do something about this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Serf posted:

perhaps this is why half the dialogue in tenet is unintelligible. except that movie is ugly and unappealing

yeah he really hosed it on that one. the backwards-action was cool the first time it happened and that's it, the novelty was gone, I don't need to see it again. the final setpiece was loving booooooooring. and unlike Inception/Interstellar there wasn't any secondary gimmicks or cool locations to back it up once the "oh, neat" factor wore off. it sucks cause I love John Washington and would like to see him get more parts, but hoo boy the script did not do his role any favors

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

I've started reading Ministry for the Future. it begins in 2024 with a heat wave that kills 20 million Indians. owie wowie!

its a frustrating book. it has very, very good moments, that's one of them, just that horrific description of the water being above body temperature so you can't cool off in it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

its a frustrating book. it has very, very good moments, that's one of them, just that horrific description of the water being above body temperature so you can't cool off in it

I didn't like how it characterized oil executives as "good, patriotic, family people doing their best" then sheepishly adds the tag "(for their shareholders)." I'm still only like 70 pages in so maybe that changes but that really annoyed me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

indigi posted:

yeah he really hosed it on that one. the backwards-action was cool the first time it happened and that's it, the novelty was gone, I don't need to see it again. the final setpiece was loving booooooooring. and unlike Inception/Interstellar there wasn't any secondary gimmicks or cool locations to back it up once the "oh, neat" factor wore off. it sucks cause I love John Washington and would like to see him get more parts, but hoo boy the script did not do his role any favors

john david washington is one of the worst actors i've seen in a big budget movie. seriously just dogshit in everything i've seen him in

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I've only seen him in Ballers tbf and he excels as a charismatic knucklehead

Serf
May 5, 2011

check out malcolm and marie on netflix if you hate life and yourself. its a terrible movie made by a man who just wants to complain about his critics, and he puts all his words in washington's mouth and it crashes and burns terribly. i've seen student films that were better directed and acted

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Serf posted:

check out malcolm and marie on netflix if you hate life and yourself. its a terrible movie made by a man who just wants to complain about his critics, and he puts all his words in washington's mouth and it crashes and burns terribly. i've seen student films that were better directed and acted

But Zendaya is a REVELATION.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i hear about the brilliance of this passage all the time and i just want it on record that i hate it

the boots analogy assumes that the hardiness of boots directly correlates with how expensive they are which isnt actually true boots like any widely traded good are difficult for a layman to evaluate because who the hell are you going to ask the boots consumer protection board maybe those fifty dollar boots are fifty dollars because theyre good quality boots or maybe theyre fifty dollars because michael jordan endorsed them the only way a normal person could possibly know that is if they spend an inordinate amount of time researching boots at which point they are now contributing the opportunity cost of research in addition to the financial cost of the boots

and what happens if you buy a bum pair of expensive boots or if you buy a good pair of expensive boots that just get stolen from you or if some accident either destroys your boots or forces you to lose them all of a sudden youre out a fuckton more money in the short term than you would have if youd just stuck with the cheaper boots and what exactly are you doing with your boots related savings anyway its probably just going to your disposable income its not a major expense like a car which is an example where paying for the more expensive and supposedly gooder options absolutely completely loving hoses you

the idolization of this passage just really frustrates me given that we live in an era of bootlegs that are literally indistinguishable from originals because theyre made in the same drat factories you are not challenging capitalism with this stupid boots analogy you are buying into its very premises

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think a better way to express it would be sachets: a poor person has to buy their shampoo in small sachets because they don't have the kind of budget to buy a whole bottle at a time, but in buying a sachet, they're actually paying more per unit volume

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

so i hear about the brilliance of this passage all the time and i just want it on record that i hate it

yea its garbage, much like terry pratchett books.

the real problem is it deflects from the actual problem which is exploitation of labor and insiders colluding to rig markets

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Interstellar is the equivalant of Tron: Legacy.

I liked both of them, checks out

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

interstellar: we colonized ourselves into this mess, looks like our only option is to colonize our way out of it! p.s. love is quantifiable or something

trong legacy: biodigital jazz, maan

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

the idolization of this passage just really frustrates me given that we live in an era of bootlegs that are literally indistinguishable from originals because theyre made in the same drat factories you are not challenging capitalism with this stupid boots analogy you are buying into its very premises

as someone who purposely buys bootleg stuff all the time, they may be made in the same factories but the difference in quality can be enormous. they’re very distinguishable from originals, they may look 99% the same but that’s just looks

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
it's pretty obvious if you're buying bootlegs that your feet are gonna get wet, you need boot soles too

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

I didn't like how it characterized oil executives as "good, patriotic, family people doing their best" then sheepishly adds the tag "(for their shareholders)." I'm still only like 70 pages in so maybe that changes but that really annoyed me.

no, it explicitly calls them out but only after setting up a high fantasy realm of a way to get them to make money fighting climate change. i'd keep reading, there's some very interesting ideas in there, but the book never lived up to the early heights of the heat wave and immediate indian response

hell, frank's character came off as really wasted. i get why he was spotlighted but it's quite frustrating

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

no, it explicitly calls them out but only after setting up a high fantasy realm of a way to get them to make money fighting climate change.

I feel like he calls this out pretty explicitly too, there’s a whole chapter about how the only way people can think about things anymore is through economic terms and how terrible that is, but it’s kinda the only tool we have at the moment

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ArmZ posted:

yea its garbage, much like terry pratchett books.

the real problem is it deflects from the actual problem which is exploitation of labor and insiders colluding to rig markets

lol

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jesus Christ, complaining about a passage from a book that's popular because its relatable, because ss the old adage goes its expensive to be poor and the repose to that is "what about expensive shoddy bootlegs," talk about missing the forest for the trees

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

no the bootlegs are cheap. they’re just shoddy, while originals (usually) are not

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

the poor man can scarcely afford a gtx 570 and will mine nary a coin befor ethe decade is out, while the rich man fills his basement with 3080tis and supplements his coin with the sale of dried fruit

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
any fellow anime enjoyers here? don't be shy let the world know

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Judakel posted:

any fellow anime enjoyers here? don't be shy let the world know

I enjoy an anime or two, from time to time

Judakel