Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the legacy of mr deego is that the world has become immeasurably more boring

in both a magical and meta sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

☐ words

✓ nudity

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 2, 2021

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Love to design my bath with a window you can fall out of if you stand up too fast and slip.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Feel like we've reached a new level where Monday's comic will threaten to do something and then the rest of the week is unrelated mediocrity.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Do her legs look really hosed up to anyone else?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Pyrotoad posted:

I didn't even notice the legs initially. Yeah they are. But I was more confused about what expression Mookie is trying to have her convey (and what is she doing with her hands? Is she supposed to be confused by water? )

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Why is she so surprised by water?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Because she's a feral child! Except wait she's not and can speak.

Also she's sitting like a mermaid lol. Like her lower half is a fish tail

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Beelzebufo posted:

Because she's a feral child! Except wait she's not and can speak.

Also she's sitting like a mermaid lol. Like her lower half is a fish tail

A feral child that is a potential love interest for the protagonist. Yep, gently caress you Mookie

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Daughtermomcorpsewife, currently in 'not abusive' mode. Marvel at the childlike wonder of this naked adult woman.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

Daughtermomcorpsewife, currently in 'not abusive' mode. Marvel at the childlike wonder of this naked adult woman.

She has been permanently cured of her abusiveness and it will never, ever come up again.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Can't decide if we're going to get a creepy scene where he bathes her or a creepy scene where she gets a pseudo-baptism or both.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pyrotoad posted:

Like Billy Gnosis I didn't even know they were visible at first, but yeah...

I mean, he could have actually gotten away with not drawing them if he was having trouble figuring out the pose.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
We're clearly going to get a scene where Snout accidentally trips and falls and gropes her, and she gets mad and punches him into the sky, just like in Mookie's animes.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I know Snout wouldn't think it's weird to take a bath with Corpsemomwife because he's a weird little hermit who doesn't even hesitate to sleep naked beside an unconscious woman, but you'd think at least Ink Witch and Arudak would know about social mores and have them take separate turns at the bath.

Mookie wants to play this off as some innocent thing but it just comes across as really loving creepy.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 3, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And yet SNOUT was the shy one when the Ink Witch snuggled up next to him and when his clothes were stolen at the shower. He made noise about Snout not being bothered about being nude, but then wasn't consistent at all with it.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

amigolupus posted:

I know Snout wouldn't think it's weird to take a bath with Corpsemomwife because he's a weird little hermit who doesn't even hesitate to sleep naked beside an unconscious woman, but you'd think at least Ink Witch and Arudak would know about social mores and have them take separate turns at the bath.

Mookie wants to play this off as some innocent thing but it just comes across as really loving creepy.

Part of Dominic Deegan's legacy was to abolish those social norms. 200 years in the future, people are free to just hang around naked as much as they want. The team will find a holy scripture with the order to stop being so clothesminded.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

☐ words

✓ nudity

✓ lovingly detailed bush

☐ penis

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

amigolupus posted:

Ink Witch slept naked so she could snuggle Snout's elbow between her tits and Arudak proudly splayed his dream-cock for everyone to see. They're all weird gross perverts.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I know it's a black and white comic, but Corpsemom is clearly supposed to be black and an abusive black woman who doesn't know how to wash her hair because she's mentally a child is a real bad look.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m not sure if it’s better or worse that Mookie has no idea how black hair would need to be treated differently.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

GreenMetalSun posted:

I know it's a black and white comic, but Corpsemom is clearly supposed to be black and an abusive black woman who doesn't know how to wash her hair because she's mentally a child is a real bad look.

Corpsemomchildwife being Mookie's one black character in this comic is a bad look at every single junction. "She's weird and unnatural and not a person, violent, childlike, in need of education by our weird dog-man protagonist ... I know!"

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

Corpsemomchildwife being Mookie's one black character in this comic is a bad look at every single junction. "She's weird and unnatural and not a person, violent, childlike, in need of education by our weird dog-man protagonist ... I know!"

Yeah. She'd leave a sour taste in my mouth even if she was lily-white, but it just adds this whole other layer of tone-deaf racism wrapped up in Mookie thinking he's being ~progressive~.

EDIT: Going waaaaaay back, I also think it was a really bad choice to have Bumper kill, uh, the rear end-up dead lady whose name I can't remember. I think it would have been better to have him walk away, then have Stunt kill her. It doesn't go the whole, 'angry, murderous black man' route, and it establishes a sort of ride-together, die-together loyalty between them.

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 3, 2021

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Don't forget the black people stand in solve their problems with dance. Sexy Dance

:cripes:

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Bringing up spoilers from Friday's comic since it's relevant: Post-bath it's clear that yes her hair is afro-textured, and yes of course it's good ol Snout who has to teach her how to properly style her own hair and dress herself up and ughhhhh

I can almost see where Mookie might have somehow have not thought this through. Maybe "feral necromancy horror" and "diverse cast" began as separate thoughts until he decided that since both called for new characters he should just combine the two concepts. But even if, if that was the case the fact that he apparently at no point has realized how this hits almost every box on the "terrible savage caricatures" checklist is very telling on the amount of thought put into the story. Double given the societal environment of the past decade and especially past year, triple given that he's well aware of the backlash about Bumper. I can't remember if he's drawn any of the cast of Legacy in color yet and that's his one way to try and backpedal out of this, but given the past he's more likely to keep digging downwards.

I'm late to the topic but this seems like a good time to point out again that none of the women of Legacy (besides Kazya, but she hasn't shown up in-person and is currently just an accessory to Arudak) have had their true names revealed yet, and Corpselady doesn't even have a nickname or a title. She's also the only one whose name is implied to be so alien in nature that it can't even be rendered in written speech*. You know, just in case there weren't enough red flags already.

(* Unless the ink disintegrating was Ink Witch's own doing, which wouldn't be out-of-character for her.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Because, of course, Snout knows hair care for all hair textures, despite being the only person with hair in ten miles of his old residence

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I just
...I just don't like Snout. He reminds me a bit of Greg, the super-innocent Nice Guy, who also rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's the blank slate, nice boy un-personality, but he also builds couch forts so he's ~☆so random☆~.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tesseraction posted:

Why is she so surprised by water?

Look at her eyeline again, Tess.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

It's such a weird transition too. Last comic Snout was asking all of his four questions (none of which included "why did you guys leave me in mongreltown?") and then...Arudak just approaches him, narrow-eyed and leads him off to be stripped naked, with no apparent explanation provided.

Like, it'd be one thing if the last question involved getting a bath, or fresh clothes or saying they were tired...but he asked about eating. Likewise, you could just communicate it visually by having snout do something like leave a grubby handprint on something, or be visibly sweaty or tired and have Arudak notice that. Even just showing that he's maybe distressed or overwhelmed by the situation and needs to relax. But none of that comes across. It's just...suddenly bath time.

EDIT: re-examining, I think those two lines by Arudak's nose indicate he's sniffing snout. That's...not exactly a lot of body language to go off of.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TheHan posted:

Feel like we've reached a new level where Monday's comic will threaten to do something and then the rest of the week is unrelated mediocrity.

A huge step up from months of nothing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

How long before Snout fucks up Orc Mage's nice clothes with a "deaf" patch?

Also Corpsedaughter is finally clothed, but of course, it's SKIN loving TIGHT against her boobs and belly. You can see her belly button like it's superhero spandex.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Fuuuuuck, I was sure Mookie wasn't try to make the corpsemomdaughterwife black coded but it's pretty obvious at this point he is. What an absolute doofus.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

so i'm just gonna note

that's Luna's dress

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Why would you trust Snout to style your hair? He's a smelly mountain hermit who doesn't take a brush to his rat's nest of a hair. To say nothing of the awful body hair sprouting out of him like kudzu.

Happy Landfill posted:

I just
...I just don't like Snout. He reminds me a bit of Greg, the super-innocent Nice Guy, who also rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's the blank slate, nice boy un-personality, but he also builds couch forts so he's ~☆so random☆~.

I get the feeling Mookie watched Steven Universe with his kid, saw how Steven was this pure, soft boy that a lot of people like online, and wanted to copy that for Snout. Except it's Mookie writing, so Snout ends up being this weird creepy Nice Guy who women keep cuddling naked against his will.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mors Rattus posted:

so i'm just gonna note

that's Luna's dress

Yup, that's got the Final Fantasy white mage trim with the triangles that Mookie used for Luna in og DD. Which I guess means Arudak is also connected to the Deegans somehow. Between this and the possibility of Ink Witch being a Deegan the world mookie's presenting is once again shrinking rapidly.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Oh my goooodddddddd Mookie don't have your protagonist showing a black woman how to style her hair.

It's like he has an akward uncomfortable plot twist seeking missle on his pen. Just the most cringey thing every time!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also Corpsedaughter is finally clothed, but of course, it's SKIN loving TIGHT against her boobs and belly. You can see her belly button like it's superhero spandex.

Looking at this again it's actually that she's just such a wee lil baby that she couldn't put on the dress right, exposing her whole right side. It's a toss up on whether he'll have Snout dress her properly like a child or she'll walk around like that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

Looking at this again it's actually that she's just such a wee lil baby that she couldn't put on the dress right, exposing her whole right side. It's a toss up on whether he'll have Snout dress her properly like a child or she'll walk around like that.

I dunno, if that's the case he forgot to draw her nipple.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
He also keeps flipping which side of the arm Snout's hair is on and leaving out his elbow spikes, but in this case you can see the rest of her shirt caught in-between the sash of the skirt.

Instead of being one long dress this outfit comes in 4 pieces: A top sash, a piece of fabric you tie into the top and bottom sashes, the bottom sash and a skirt you tie into the bottom band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Because he didn't draw her nipple (and I don't see any scars), I assumed it was skin-tight fabric on her torso. I can see where you're coming from, but I guess we won't know for sure until next time.