Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Background checks are pretty standard and drug test are now only with old companies or government bullshit. All it really is making sure you aren't a murder, psycho, thief or millions in debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Besides you can use fake piss for business drug checks. Monkey piss is my preferred. Now if you’re on probation they check your dick so don’t try to pass that with fake piss.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

i am a moron posted:

My current company: conducted a background check that consisted of making sure my social was valid, didn’t contact any previous employers, and didn’t do a drug test. It isn’t that weird in the US in my experience and it usually works out okay

I spent 2 weeks trying to explain exactly how I wasn't a fugitive for murder because my name didn't even match the one that was background checked so that was fun.
Staring a police chief in the face as the door is closed behind you and being greeted with "where were you <insert night 6 years before you were born> and what did you do with the body" is an odd way to start a conversation.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've had a screening, an inperson interview with my prospective boss, a technical interview with my prospective and they seemed really keen on me. Tomorrow I have an in person interview with the CEO (Company is around 500 employees). I think I've prepped for it pretty well, but is this the basic 'are you a good fit' thing most likely? My current job is killing me and I'm really excited about this opportunity.

I have to assume they wouldn't waste the CEOs time if they weren't interested, pending me not making a fool of myself in front of the CEO? That's what I'm hoping.

I prepped for the interview by knowing a lot of facts about the company / some questions I can ask when they ask if I have any questions, etc.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

eonwe posted:

I've had a screening, an inperson interview with my prospective boss, a technical interview with my prospective and they seemed really keen on me. Tomorrow I have an in person interview with the CEO (Company is around 500 employees). I think I've prepped for it pretty well, but is this the basic 'are you a good fit' thing most likely? My current job is killing me and I'm really excited about this opportunity.

I have to assume they wouldn't waste the CEOs time if they weren't interested, pending me not making a fool of myself in front of the CEO? That's what I'm hoping.

I prepped for the interview by knowing a lot of facts about the company / some questions I can ask when they ask if I have any questions, etc.

Good luck! Get some time with the CEO on the third interview definitely says you're probably on your way.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

eonwe posted:

A ceo interview at a 500 employees is pretty rare. I’d let him talk and you ask the questions. You’re like 90% in.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
heck yeah thank you. I think knowing I have a good shot will help me be more confident.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

eonwe posted:

heck yeah thank you. I think knowing I have a good shot will help me be more confident.

Wear a collared shirt. CEOs love to talk so they’ll be happy to run that conversation.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yep! I just ironed some slacks and a nice shirt and have some good lookin dress shoes!! I'll update yall soon!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

At that point it’s seeing if your a personality fit. Good luck

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Hope you pass a background check. Pm me for ways to pass a drug test.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I googled “what to ask CEO in an interview” 10 minutes before mine and it went well. Do that. Ask some of those questions and be charming. It’s mostly a vibe check at this point.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I did the same! and drugs / background check aren't a concern

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You got this!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

eonwe posted:

I did the same! and drugs / background check aren't a concern

Ok if you need a little weed before the interview let me know. I’ll throw in the fake piss.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I always like to show up to the interview high this way i've set a good baseline and don't give them any crazy ideas about my performance or abilities.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
We have a bizarre policy that you have to the local director apply to get internet access - also, we heavily restrict access so we frequently get requests of 'I am trying to do this e-learning (etc) but it's blocked please fix' and only 2 people in the department can do it. (1 being the boss, so in reality only 1 person does it)

I am trying to argue that control of internet access shouldn't really sit with IT and we should hand this off to management/HR in someway - it's not our fault if people choose to access untoward sites if we block the obvious (acknowledging we work in a restricted environment, so I mean web hosting/mail here) and that should become an HR issue if people want to do stuff like gambling at work (etc)

But there are IT people in my team saying no no, your ideas don't make sense. Consider me surprised.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
If I tried to filter Internet access I'd face a lynch mob. Having a state employee interfere with researcher's constitutional rights? That's a keelhaulin'…

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

angry armadillo posted:

We have a bizarre policy that you have to the local director apply to get internet access - also, we heavily restrict access so we frequently get requests of 'I am trying to do this e-learning (etc) but it's blocked please fix' and only 2 people in the department can do it. (1 being the boss, so in reality only 1 person does it)

I am trying to argue that control of internet access shouldn't really sit with IT and we should hand this off to management/HR in someway - it's not our fault if people choose to access untoward sites if we block the obvious (acknowledging we work in a restricted environment, so I mean web hosting/mail here) and that should become an HR issue if people want to do stuff like gambling at work (etc)

But there are IT people in my team saying no no, your ideas don't make sense. Consider me surprised.

If you have Microsoft 365 a5 you get free web content filtering/audit, you could have a silent listening rule with a playbook/advanced hunting to investigate when you see weird sites popping up if you don’t to flat out block.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Industrial equipment? Some fabrication machine that the company refuses to pay for an upgrade on software? I gotta know why.

I had a saw that ran from a DOS 6.22 HMI that was only retired late last year because they finally replaced the PLC (was too hard to find the parts) and were forced to reprogram the HMI.

A few years before that it had been virtualized to allow remote management and easy backups.

Manufacturing is rad.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I had a saw that ran from a DOS 6.22 HMI that was only retired late last year because they finally replaced the PLC (was too hard to find the parts) and were forced to reprogram the HMI.

A few years before that it had been virtualized to allow remote management and easy backups.

Manufacturing is rad.

Just got a job rec for a senior engineer position at a manufacturing company passed my way, no clue what company, but I thought of you.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It comes up randomly in this thread, so I would like to pass along the following bit of advice.

If your company doesn't currently have an inventory control system and you are low on the totem pole and do not have interns, DO NOT BE THE ONE TO SUGGEST IT BECAUSE YOU WILL BE THE ONE TO HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THE lovely DATA ENTRY AND JESUS CHRIST I HATE THIS loving PART OF MY JOB.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

HAHAHA I feel the pain. You learned a good lesson here

angry armadillo posted:

There seems to be 2 sorts of IT people I've come across.

The first one wants to rule everything IT with an iron fist. These people love their little fiefdoms, want total control over almost everything they touch, but never move up in the world.

The second group tries to get as much off their plate as possible so they can work on newer/cooler poo poo. These people move up and on to better things.

I've always had a mindset like you. I'm not the internet police. HR, Management, those folks should decide what is or is not appropriate.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 2, 2021

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Building closed permanently next friday, very opaque statement though. Crossed fingers for permanent WFH. Pleeeeassseee

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
So the recruiter for a cloud engineering position blew me off, I applied to a few more places over the past few weeks, one of which is a local non-profit health clinic organization for a "tier 3" sys admin position doing mostly Windows Server/VMWare/Citrix administration with a mix of Cisco and Dell (ew) network engineering. I interviewed twice last week, second interview was with 7 people on the Zoom meeting and it went really well. I received an offer from them today, the base pay matches what I am currently making as a senior network engineer with an MSP. However, I've received bonuses every year I've worked for the MSP and with the bonus I made about 9% more last year than the base pay offer I received today. The new company is also offering 401a (employer paid) w/ 403b (paid by myself) retirement plans (have a 401k now with 5% employer match), and 30 total days off per year (matches what I currently receive).

I mostly work remotely now but 2-3 times per week I travel all over the area for client on-site visits, whereas the company that made the offer today is entirely local to the city I currently live in, and travelling all over the LA area loving sucks and I've come to hate it. New company is fully remote work right now. They also have a fully staffed helpdesk, in addition to an application development and support team, I would strictly be working on infrastructure / systems / networking with escalations from the helpdesk only required when they are directly related to a systems issue.

I was thinking of showing the HR person who made the offer today the amount of money I made last year as leverage to bargain for a higher base pay as the new company does not offer bonuses. What are people's thoughts on doing that? For what it's worth I'm extremely sick of working for an MSP, and working for local clinics is more morally acceptable to me than the current work I've been performing for DoD contractor clients of the MSP.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Coolnezzz posted:

New company is fully remote work right now.

To me this would be worth the slight pay cut you are taking.

Take that 9% bonus you made at your current company and calculate how much gas/wear and tear on your vehicle and hours/quality of life lost to traffic and I bet you come out ahead with a 100% wfh and slight reduction in pay.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

skipdogg posted:

I've always had a mindset like you. I'm not the internet police. HR, Management, those folks should decide what is or is not appropriate.

This is the way. My job IMO has always been, "stop people from doing obviously illegal and dangerous poo poo". Everything else you gotta pay me for.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Don't show them anything. Tell them you are excited to work with them but you'll need 15k or however much is appropriate more to make it work. They'll counter for 5-10 more than likely and then decide there. Swing big. Justify it with your level of experience and satisfaction you've provided your MSP clients. You are worth more blah blah blah.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 2, 2021

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

mattfl posted:

To me this would be worth the slight pay cut you are taking.

Take that 9% bonus you made at your current company and calculate how much gas/wear and tear on your vehicle and hours/quality of life lost to traffic and I bet you come out ahead with a 100% wfh and slight reduction in pay.

To be fair I do currently have a company car and they pay for gas, but I often end up spending a few hours per week driving on my own time. I definitely agree though, more WFH would be ideal. Thanks!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Don't show them anything. Tell them you are excited to work with them but you'll need 15k or however much is appropriate more to make it work. They'll counter for 5-10 more than likely and then decide there. Swing big. Justify it with your level of experience and satisfaction you've provided your MSP clients. You are worth more blah blah blah.

Not showing them anything was my initial thought as well, I spoke with my dad about it and he said he showed a company looking to hire him his entire pay for the previous year which honestly I thought may not have been the best idea. Swinging big sounds like a good idea, thank you!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

eonwe posted:

Yep! I just ironed some slacks and a nice shirt and have some good lookin dress shoes!! I'll update yall soon!

Well. We’re waiting.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Defenestrategy posted:

It comes up randomly in this thread, so I would like to pass along the following bit of advice.

If your company doesn't currently have an inventory control system and you are low on the totem pole and do not have interns, DO NOT BE THE ONE TO SUGGEST IT BECAUSE YOU WILL BE THE ONE TO HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THE lovely DATA ENTRY AND JESUS CHRIST I HATE THIS loving PART OF MY JOB.

I've watched 3 people make this mistake and have their working proof of concepts shot down after a year because nobody updated it but them.
We still use a spreadsheet.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I've watched 3 people make this mistake and have their working proof of concepts shot down after a year because nobody updated it but them.
We still use a spreadsheet.

I implemented snipeit back at the end of 2019 and it works really well. Unfortunately I boldly assumed 1) I wouldn't be the one solely maintaining it, 2) that I would have interns to deal with it, 3) that the amount of changes wouldn't be that many, 4) that it wouldn't be a lot of work.

I was wrong on all accounts and everytime I get bothered about keeping up with it like I don't have a million and one more pressing tasks is one step closer for me telling my boss he gets an intern to do data entry for me or he can go hat in hand to finance looking for another IT dude.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happiness Commando posted:

Two idiots one keyboard is the best depiction of antihacking in media and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

You clearly have not watched CSI: Cyber. You should rectify this as it is outrageously stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plcIQgX-kbo

Internet Explorer posted:

Look, there's no way I'm older than the average here. We all learned to put two spaces after a period. Right...?

You'll have to break my goddamn thumbs to stop me doing it :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 3, 2021

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Gonna html inject my way into pentagon.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I prefer tab instead of two spaces after the period.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Antigravitas posted:

I prefer tab instead of two spaces after the period.

You are the bane of my existence.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
This doesn't happen often but when it does, it's usually amusing. It would be in the piss me off thread but our processes and responsibilities are so well set out it just makes me chuckle...

We have a government network here, my only responsibility is checking the cabling is ok as it's my building. Other than that, the process is basically user rings helpdesk -> goes through triage -> if PC really pooped, new device couriered out

We rarely get involved at all - so yesterday to my surprise, email cc'ing every C-Level and their dogs complaining that they have 5 issues, none of them are getting resolve and one has been over a year(!)

It turns out, the manager complaining used to sit at the desk with the year old fault before she was the manager, she raised a fault with the helpdesk, decided to take her computer to the entrance for the courier to pick up, even though you don't do that until the new one is up and running (and that new Pc has never arrived), presumably hot desked for a some time, was then promoted to manager and I can only conclude she decided that's not my desk anymore, I just won't follow up on it - that is now being raised at senior management meetings.

I have appraised all relevant C Levels with the outcome of the fact finding mission carried out today.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

I implemented snipeit back at the end of 2019 and it works really well. Unfortunately I boldly assumed 1) I wouldn't be the one solely maintaining it, 2) that I would have interns to deal with it, 3) that the amount of changes wouldn't be that many, 4) that it wouldn't be a lot of work.

I was wrong on all accounts and everytime I get bothered about keeping up with it like I don't have a million and one more pressing tasks is one step closer for me telling my boss he gets an intern to do data entry for me or he can go hat in hand to finance looking for another IT dude.

We implemented my favorite kind of inventory which is an inventory from systems management rather than from device intake and assignment. This means that if a machine drops out of view for some reason like someone breaking it or stealing it/wiping it, it just eventually drops off of the inventory. What this results in most importantly is 100% compliance because the app only knows to look for the machines it expects to see. :)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Is it me or has anyone had issues with messaging etiquette with teams/slack since WFH went into effect? Many times I see peers or those above me ignoring Do Not Disturb or Busy status. Maybe I'm doing log review or presenting in a meeting. Being spammed for updates on a non-import issue is annoying. Imagine someone being on the phone, and someone comes to your desk and just starts talking when you are obviously occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bonzo posted:

Is it me or has anyone had issues with messaging etiquette with teams/slack since WFH went into effect? Many times I see peers or those above me ignoring Do Not Disturb or Busy status. Maybe I'm doing log review or presenting in a meeting. Being spammed for updates on a non-import issue is annoying. Imagine someone being on the phone, and someone comes to your desk and just starts talking when you are obviously occupied.

I could see being annoyed at DND, but covid times means that your are automatically assigned busy for almost your entire day. So much so that showing busy is basically meaningless.