Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:siren:Hold on tight, COVID--we've still got some high scores to shatter.:siren:

Governor Greg Abbott has chosen to rescind the statewide mask mandate and open businesses back up to 100% capacity should businesses choose to.

quote:

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) Texas is lifting its mask mandate, Gov. Greg Abbott said Tuesday, making it the largest state to end an order intended to prevent the spread of the coronavirus that has killed more than 42,000 Texans.

The Republican governor has faced sharp criticism from his party over the mandate, which was imposed eight months ago, as well as other COVID-19 restrictions on businesses that Texas will also scuttle starting next week. The mask order was only ever lightly enforced, even during the worst outbreaks of the pandemic.

The repealed rules include doing away with limits on the number of diners or customers allowed indoors, said Abbott, who made the announcement at a restaurant in Lubbock. He said the new rules would take effect March 10, although leaders in Houston and other big Texas cities were already reacting with alarm.

Removing statewide mandates does not end personal responsibility, said Abbott, speaking from the crowded dining room where many of those surrounding him were not wearing masks.

Its just that now state mandates are no longer needed, he said.

The decision comes as governors across the U.S. have been easing coronavirus restrictions, despite warnings from health experts that the pandemic is far from over. Like the rest of the country, Texas has seen the number of cases and deaths plunge. Hospitalizations are at the lowest levels since October, and the seven-day rolling average of positive tests has dropped to about 7,600 cases, down from more than 10,000 in mid-February.

Only California and New York have reported more COVID-19 deaths than Texas.

The fact that things are headed in the right direction doesnt mean we have succeeded in eradicating the risk, said Dr. Lauren Ancel Meyers, a professor of integrative biology and director of the University of Texas COVID-19 Modeling Consortium.

She said the recent deadly winter freeze in Texas that left millions of people without power forcing families to shelter closely with others who still had heat could amplify transmission of the virus in the weeks ahead, although it remains too early to tell. Masks, she said, are one of the most effective strategies to curb the spread.

The top county leader in Houston, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo, called the announcement wishful thinking and said spikes in hospitalizations have followed past rollbacks of COVID-19 rules.

At worst, it is a cynical attempt to distract Texans from the failures of state oversight of our power grid, said Hidalgo, a Democrat.

Early in the pandemic, Abbott stripped local officials of their power to implement tougher COVID-19 restrictions, but now says counties can impose mitigation strategies if virus hospitalizations exceed 15% of all hospital capacity in their region. However, Abbott forbade local officials from imposing penalties for not wearing a face covering.

Abbott imposed the statewide mask mandate in July during a deadly summer surge. But enforcement was spotty at best, and some sheriffs refused to police the restrictions at all. And as the pandemic dragged on, Abbott ruled out a return to tough COVID-19 rules, arguing that lockdowns do not work.

Politically, the restrictions elevated tensions between Abbott and his own party, with the head of the Texas GOP at one point leading a protest outside the governors mansion. Meanwhile, mayors in Texas biggest cities argued that Abbott wasnt doing enough.

Most of the country has lived under mask mandates during the pandemic, with at least 37 states requiring face coverings to some degree. But those orders are increasingly falling by the wayside: North Dakota, Montana and Iowa have also lifted mask orders in recent weeks.

Texas will experience more cases, more hospitalizations and more deaths, state Rep. Richard Pea Raymond, a Democrat from the border city of Laredo, told Abbott in a letter Monday.

Laredo, whose population is predominately Latino, has endured some of the worst outbreaks of the pandemic, running out of beds in hospital intensive care units as recently as January. The international trade hub has been among Texas most aggressive cities in trying to blunt the spread of the virus, taking measures that have included curfews.

Elected by the people, your most fundamental obligation is their health and safety. Please do not abrogate your duty, Raymond said.

Hey everybody let's talk about how I'm gonna get to stress test my lungs like never before!!!!

I guess you can just dunk on Texas for other stuff too, who even cares anymore. The flood gates are open in all sorts of ways today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Texas hates its citizens with a passion that can not be understated

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol the usa is fuuuucked. can't wait for all those secondary symptoms to show up in 15-20 years.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Lol loving Texas. Get decimated by cold weather and decide this is the best way to distract people. Sadly the idiots will keep voting in these idiots.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They gonna die OP

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:hai:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Gregg couldn't be outdone by Ted Cruz

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Reposting from another thread.

https://twitter.com/hypeoscar/status/1366847107676721152

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Maybe Idiocracy won't be a documentary now because all the chuds will die of COVID related secondary illnesses before returning to their spawning pools.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

How long until we have the "Texas variant" that's immune to the current vaccines and more contagious and deadly?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

big nipples big life posted:

How long until we have the "Texas variant" that's immune to the current vaccines and more contagious and deadly?

Everythings bigger in Texas

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Texas is trying to create a sentient rona golem to replace Cruz in the senate

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Conservative values right here in Texas.

Thoughts and prayers you dumb loving primates.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyGp98Xoq9g

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Time to charge up that poz crystal. :clint:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Texas is getting more cases per day than my country has had since the start of the pandemic.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
Stay safe Texans.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I've been to a lotta lovely airports and Texas is home to the most miserable airport I've been stuck at for a few hours. The Dallas one. I hope I never visit that state again.

Edit: Despite my hateful screed I feel real bad for everyone that got hosed over bad by the storm. One dude I follow got his entire house wrecked and goddamn that sucks.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 2, 2021

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Things Texans fear completely:

- Charles Darwin
- Big Government
- Immigrants, in general
- Small trucks (make your peepee small)

Things Texans do not fear at all:

- Earth-spanning viral plagues

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Next thing you know Texas will declare open season on my cock and balls and I won't ever be free of nonstop CBT

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

*whip crack* Wahhh waahh waaa - a giant covid-19 virus rolls across a deserted Dallas freeway

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fartington Butts posted:

I've been to a lotta lovely airports and Texas is home to the most miserable airport I've been stuck at for a few hours. The Dallas one. I hope I never visit that state again.

Edit: Despite my hateful screed I feel real bad for everyone that got hosed over bad by the storm. One dude I follow got his entire house wrecked and goddamn that sucks.

There are two in Dallas--big rear end super airport DFW or Dallas Love Field.

Both suck, to your point.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
edit: whoops meant this for the trump thread

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 2, 2021

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Fartington Butts posted:

DFW is OK, of all the airports I have spent time in over the world MIA can go gently caress itself.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I remember DFW looking hella run down and having no good food options. Could be down to a bad experience.

Like... I hate ORD and I've been there a lot, but I expect it and at least they have Frontera.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Fartington Butts posted:

I remember DFW looking hella run down and having no good food options. Could be down to a bad experience.

Like... I hate ORD and I've been there a lot, but I expect it and at least they have Frontera.

It was kind of a mess until they put in an automated people mover that served the entire airport, remodeled the original terminals, and built Terminal D, it's good now.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/8iUcSjG.mp4

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Grondoth posted:

Texas hates its citizens with a passion that can not be understated

:911:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Derpies posted:

Maybe Idiocracy won't be a documentary now because all the chuds will die of COVID related secondary illnesses before returning to their spawning pools.

Nah they'll just spawn a hydra den and do a rush that way while they spawn another drone for the transformation into a pool

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Derpies posted:

:ducksiren: Idiocracy :ducksiren:

Reported for racism. :o::o::o: Get hosed malthusian!!! :mad:lmao nothing can stop that movie from becoming reality

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Hey this Abbott guy seems like a real piece of poo poo!!!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

surely this time everyone will be personally responsible. personally responsible for vacuum sucking my nards that is.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The entire GOP just needs to kicked in the balls in front of the big pit from 300

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
license plate idea: TEXAS: THE "GET hosed, NOBODY OWES YOU poo poo, COUGH COUGH GOTTA TAKE A DUMP HUHHH DEAD" STATE

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
As if I needed another reason to stay away from Texas. I lived 2 years in dallas as a kid and I have nothing but lovely memories of the place.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mississippi just did it, too.

If Georgia does it, I will go poo poo on Kemp's desk. (this isn't a toxx, I have to hold my 13 year old great dane close to my heart)

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I hate everyone between red river and rio grande, open er up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
In boot camp my company was outside of the med bay sitting down for something and one of the corpsman said "Everyone from Texas stand up!" Like, a third of the company stood up. "These guys will gently caress you! They will gently caress you!"

Holy poo poo he was right. Dumbest mother fuckers I've met in my entire life. It's like they were sent there to make me feel pain due to their incompetence.

Sorry Texas, I'm not a fan of you. You need better education programs.