Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

holy poo poo :lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU0-8jpYN_U

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Rody One Half posted:

Surprise Xenosaga 1 reference from Pat this episode

Man, I played Xenosaga at the time, and I didn't understand any of it because like I'm 12 I didn't understand gnosticism and whatever so it was all nonsense

and then the other day I went down a wiki hole and now I understand all the words which makes it an even bigger pile of stupid bullshit

It is stupid bullshit but it’s still more fun and interesting than 99% of other game plots

We live in a world where Kojima, ZA/UM and Cardboard Computer are the only devs who know what magical realism is. Game storylines are still a cultural wasteland.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Pat had another one of those weird "I'm not creative" arguments again last night on twitter and boy is that always bizarre to watch unfold.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Overlord K posted:

Pat had another one of those weird "I'm not creative" arguments again last night on twitter and boy is that always bizarre to watch unfold.

https://twitter.com/BaubleBeverage/status/1365972291083927555

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1366340190269288451?s=20
Pat intends to play Satisfactory. On one hand, its more structured then other building games, on the other, it feels like a game primed for goblins.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1366630490514595843

Yo Woolie is FINALLY gonna play Arkham Asylum. That should be both fun and potential for big huge length depending how he handles exploring.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Overlord K posted:

Yo Woolie is FINALLY gonna play Arkham Asylum. That should be both fun and potential for big huge length depending how he handles exploring.

Pat can finally stop being THAT guy :v: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_muGpLsaAQk

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You're burying the lede there, Yakuza 7! Ichiban is a precious man-boy.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Oh god, he's going to come back to Y0 and not remember anything about the plot. And then blame the game.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just sent off my 1500-word LPer's guide to the Arkham games to Woolie

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kay Kessler posted:

Oh god, he's going to come back to Y0 and not remember anything about the plot. And then blame the game.
Why do you think he has Little V as support?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
He’s still playing Sekiro? I thought he gave up on that like a year ago.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Esme posted:

He’s still playing Sekiro? I thought he gave up on that like a year ago.

He did, hence getting back into it

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Tae posted:

He did, hence getting back into it

That’ll be painful to watch. Minh was actually a pretty good copilot though, at least back when he had just finished the game.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Oh boy some controversial Pokemon news came out, time to not listen to the podcast this week. :shepface:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Oh boy some controversial Pokemon news came out, time to not listen to the podcast this week. :shepface:

Depends on what you expect pat to say.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
What news? Contextualize Pat's future BS rant, please.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

my favorite part of the best friends thread is when people start complaining about what someone might say

i'm assuming the news is the announcement of the diamond/pearl remake and the new open world-looking game

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Diamond/Pearl remakes announced, people aren't happy about the graphics cause they're weird chibi stuff that looks like it could have comfortably worked on the 3DS.

Open world Pokemon game announced, people aren't happy about the graphics because they look kinda bad.

New Pokemon Snap shown off, some people upset that it's another Pokemon Snap game somehow (???)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ah, it's just Pokemon fans being Pokemon fans, I thought something new came out.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Tae posted:

Depends on what you expect pat to say.

I expect him to say "Pokemon bad. Pokemon smells" for an hour straight.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Pat doesn't care and just trolls, but Woolie gets genuinely angry at Gamefreak and accuses them of being lazy. And then talks about how Cyber Sleuth is so great then admits he's never played it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Game Freak really sucks now though.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Kay Kessler posted:

Pat doesn't care and just trolls, but Woolie gets genuinely angry at Gamefreak and accuses them of being lazy. And then talks about how Cyber Sleuth is so great then admits he's never played it.

game freak is legitimately one of the laziest unambitious studios out there right now, also, cyber sleuth kicks rear end

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would either find timestamps to skip past from the thread, cause Woolie learning real-time what First Soldier was is worth it.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Patware posted:

cyber sleuth kicks rear end

Agreed, but I think it's hilarious that he says it without actually having played it. For all he knows, he could loving hate the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Woolie does a lot of declarative statements for things he doesn't experience, that's like his signature thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've had issues with Pokemon since I was a kid, but I really don't get what pat's getting at comparing Red/Blue to big 3D console games from the same year.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Patware posted:

game freak is legitimately one of the laziest unambitious studios out there right now, also, cyber sleuth kicks rear end
I still really liked the games up to Sun/Moon. With Sword/Shield it sucks now.
Who would win a contest Game Freak or Konami?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
The funniest part of the arceus trailer was watching the pokémon animating at 2 fps like they were saving frames

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The pokemon thing is dumb as someone in that fandom.

It absolutely is "you got what you want and you're whining because of it" and it requires a wall text to clarify it. The optics just ain't good when so much of the fanbase has been begging for "Gen 4 Remakes!!" for about three years now.

The thing is that Remakes has always meant redoing an older game with new character designs, looking like the current main entry, adding new features, including core gameplay mechanics that were introduced later on.
-This is the first remake that doesn't redesign the main characters
-The new chibi art style looks stale compared to Sword and Shield, and even Let's Go which we thought was where the bar would be.
-They mentioned how it was loyal to the original and did not show anything that was different from Platinum, while the first announcements of the previous remakes show off new stuff
-DP was always going to have the problem that the core gameplay was cemented with them, so there isn't much to refine. Red/Green to FireRed/LeafGreen had the EV/IV mechanics implemented, allowing for future-compatible pokemon. Gold/Silver to HeartGold/SoulSilver had the physical/special attacks split that fundamentally changed how attacks were designed. Ruby/Sapphire to OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire had the physical/special split, and Mega Evolutions.
So having our first remake without any of the core aspects that make remakes exciting, is having the more cynical people wonder if simply replaying Platinum on an emulator wouldn't be better than paying 60 dollars, since the only difference might just be the art style, and the sprites are better.

but yeah, pokemon bad

oh yeah and then the Arceus thing. Looks really interesting, it's by far the most ambitious thing GameFreak has done and it could be amazing... but that trailer looked extremely rough. Like you can see how many frames a pokemon's animation drops depending on how many feet away it is from the main character. It's just very easy to see this ambitious project crash and burn.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

game freak should absolutely have lined up an actually good developer to make Arceus, i have zero confidence in their ability to do a good job

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Pokemon is a billion dollar franchise and their video games look like that.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Patware posted:

They're not lazy, the devs are getting crunched to poo poo

Game Freak is mismanaged and have too strict of a timeline and are unwilling to hire more devs to actually make a presentable game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think it's fine not to like how Pokemon is these days but "lazy devs" have never been a thing and saying that poo poo in 2021 when we know the conditions games are made under makes you look like an rear end in a top hat

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

When the new paper mario for switch game was revealed on a direct, I remember I and a dozen other people were complaining on discord when a brave zoomer spoke up. He said that we've been complaining about a game series we haven't liked for 15 years. That was completely true, and completely embarrassing.

So now when a franchise I previously liked takes a direction I don't like, I think of it having the "Boomer clock". The more time passes on the clock the less I should complain or think about it.

I've been disliking the direction pokemon has been taking since let's go pikachu, so the boomer clock has been going for two and a half years. If I don't like the gen 9 reveal, I'm going to assume the boomer clock is going to hit 5 years and my response should be "who cares" in order to save myself embarrassment.

Some old school guilty gear fans have had their boomer clocks activate with strive, but they don't seem actively upset about it. It's understandable, maybe because everyone knows strive is a good game that isn't for everyone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Strive is coming with good rollback, which eases the pain of "this isn't the game I want, but also I can literally play online with people without feeling like I'm dying"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

I think it's fine not to like how Pokemon is these days but "lazy devs" have never been a thing and saying that poo poo in 2021 when we know the conditions games are made under makes you look like an rear end in a top hat

i said the studio was lazy. i expected that it wouldn't be too difficult to connect the dots that that probably refers to the upper level people that actually make the decisions as opposed to the devs just trying to do their jobs, especially in the thread of a podcast done by people who are very intelligent on how the inner workings of the video game industry operates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Blockhouse posted:

"lazy devs" have never been a thing

It absolutely has been sometimes, even if most of the accusations of that are wrong and being applied to devs in poo poo garbage AAA crunch situations.