Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I pretty much let my (now) wife move in with me right away and footed the bills so she could go back and get her BA... I think this entitles me to alimony if she ever leaves me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

2021 - the 2020 that keeps on giving.

My cat lives with my old roommate now and for the foreseeable future, but I promised to get him updated on shots when he finally moves. He dropped the "oh hey I got approved on an apartment, but they need vaccination records today" poo poo on me at 8am. I managed to pull a goddamned rabbit out of my rear end and find an appointment at 9am. With Banfield :barf: but they could at least get him in today. Nothing against the people working for Banfield, but it's generally a turn and burn kind of place where they don't spend much time with each pet. It's a franchise, so maximum profits over everything else.

They just called. He has a growth on his jaw. He's had a few surgeries, all in the face/jaw area, but she said she didn't think it was scar tissue. I don't have the money for a biopsy right now, but the vet did say it didn't seem to be bothering him at all for now (no reaction when she pressed on it, felt it, etc). The vet was very nice and knowledgeable at least.

And another friend from HS is gone to COVID. I think at this point at least half of my graduating class is dead (admittedly, my graduating class was all of 17, but we're all 42-44 at this point - that's way too loving young to be dying en masse).

Tomarse posted:

why would you not just set it up as a direct debit/auto recurring payment?

The resident portal software they use (hint: it's not the ever-popular "residentportal", it's something called ActiveBuilding.. and they heavily moderate any and all communication instead of letting people actually post on it) didn't support it until... this month. Or maybe they just didn't pay for the feature until this month.

And setting it up through the bank? Good luck, our water bill gets lumped in, which varies month to month.

Safety Dance posted:

When my wife and I moved in together, we worked out rent and bill payments proportional to the amount we earned. If you think that's equitable, you could suggest that to your GF.

Up until this pay period, we made about the same. I just got a raise though, I'm about $1/hr higher. But her hours are more consistent; mine vary from 34-42 a week, hers are always between 39-40.

We mostly split common bills 50/50, then pay our individual bills. There's a few outliers - Amazon Prime and Netflix are hers, Hulu and Showtime are mine, and I cover the car insurance. This electric bill is gonna be baaaaaad (resistive electric heat as our only heat source).

Tomarse posted:

I get an arranged overdraft on my account here and it costs me nothing in charges if I fix it within 24 hours.
After that the daily charges are just interest based with a monthly cap.

I have a bank that's a bit more on the reasonable side, and yeah, nothing if I fix it in 24 hours. If it's less than $5, it's whatever. If it's more than $5, then it's $25/day until I bring it positive. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 2, 2021

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I once tried to set up autopay through the resident portal (appfolio) at my previous landlord and it kept just giving me a month's rent worth of credit each month, until my landlord texted me saying I hadn't paid rent for 3 months. No idea how they managed to get it into that state.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Governor of Texas just rescinded the mask order and says Texas should be open 100% right now.

Good news! Texas beat Covid! Nothing bad can happen from this!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Godspeed Texan goons.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The US is doing a very impressive balancing act of starting to get ahead of Covid and then some dumbass decision is made such a NY opening up for NBA games and now Texas doing this poo poo. I suppose I'll see my friends again in 2022.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
fortunately vaccine roll out is on pace that you'll probably be able to do it earlier than that

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Worried about mutations that will pop up from a population that won't social distance and wear masks that the vaccines may not be effective against. If people could calm their poo poo for 1 or 2 more months we would stand a far better chance of beating this thing.

Really the thing that worries me the most is I take care of my pops these days and he's doing chemo for small cell lung cancer and we've had so many close calls due to idiots. We got a head start on 2020 as pops went into the hospital Thanksgiving 2019 and almost didn't make it from two major back to back surgeries. One for a 8cm aneurism in an artery in his abdomen that needed a stint and then 48 hours later surgery for severe diverticulitis from which he now has a poop bag on his stomach.

So he's been recovering from his surgeries this year and doing chemo/radiation. His younger sister invited us over for Thanksgiving 2020 and at the time I hadn't gotten around to getting food for us. I managed to get everything needed for a small Thanksgiving at the house and told them we would stay home. His sister comes down with Covid literally days later which meant she would have been in the asymptomatic period if we had gone over to their place.

Ex sister in law wants to come over Christmas time to get some computers I've built for niece and nephew and then right before she comes she tells me her mom might have gotten a covid exposure from a Christmas party she went to, but my sister in law was still going to come up as she felt fine. I had to tell her no, stay away until she gets a test, which she still hasn't done.

Then just a few weeks back we had to change a water heater at a house my older brother rents out to some tenants. I told sister in law (same one with computers) to make sure the tenants keep their distance as I'm helping my pops. Sure enough the one tenant wants to watch and "help". She was nice enough but then started saying Covid wasn't real and no worse than the flu and I just about lost it.

Now I'm just super paranoid and feel like life is out to get pops. Plus if I get Covid I'm sure I'll get riggity wrect.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 2, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

fortunately vaccine roll out is on pace that you'll probably be able to do it earlier than that

31st December 2021?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I dated a girl in my early 20s who’s mom and her were pretty much dirt poor with nothing to their names, but mom was (and still is) with a dude who started up a successful outdoor TV network or something and was absolutely filthy rich. Her mom got plenty of er, upgrades, courtesy of dude, and he basically said “We’ve been together a while, I love you and intend to stay with you forever and your daughter is like my own child, but we will not get married because no ones stealin my absurd amount of money, but also I will fully financially support you and if for whatever reason we breakup I have this very generous savings account set up for you so you’re not out on the street.

It was definitely kinda awkward that my girlfriends mom was 100% a trophy not-wife but I basically got to sleep over at a mansion whenever I wanted for a few years which was dope. Also, extra weird because it was literally like around the corner from my parents plain ol’ $250,000 house in a 1960s Midwest suburb, branched off in this hidden super-mansion neighborhood.

E: welp I did not refresh and see that the general conversation has moved on from financial/partner living situations and now this post looks weird

T-Square fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 2, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Welcome to the fold Texas, Florida needs a partner :v:

Bets on the next state to give up?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Biden just announced J&J teaming with Mercx to make the vaccine and scale it. Using Defense Production Act for multiple factories and Biden claimed enough vaccine for every adult in the US by the end of May. :stare:

That'd force all states to put in some massive mobilization to administer, but honestly, that's the most exciting bit of news I've seen in the past year.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

T-Square posted:

It was definitely kinda awkward that my girlfriends mom was 100% a "trophy not-wife"

We call those sugar babies.

I have dated a number of rich girls over the years and it's always weird because I feel like I had it good growing up with my parents, and then I meet other people's parents and start to think that I grew up poor by comparison haha.

My dad had a Porsche Carrera 4 as his mid life crisis car so I have a hard time even typing that with a straight face but yeah I've seen some pretty obscene wealth.

I have a meeting with my boss next Monday in which I will be asking for a raise. I've never done this before but I really need a salary boost or I'm going to have to leave.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

64bit_Dophins posted:

My dad had a Porsche Carrera 4 as his mid life crisis car so I have a hard time even typing that with a straight face but yeah I've seen some pretty obscene wealth.

Never think you've seen true wealth. A family friend has a Carrera 4 Cabriolet. That he never drives because it's in one of his 5000+ square foot homes that he rarely goes to. It's astonishing.

And it's nothing compared to my best friend, who is high enough up in a company that he has meetings with the billionaire owner.

Most people never even SEE rich people. There are very few billionaires, and their wealth is staggering in comparison with the randos that have a few dozen million.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
hi
am i stupid for being excited about nu bronco (real, not sport)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The gap in wealth between millionaires and billionaires is hard to grasp for people.

That said, people who are rich and relatively "normal" you'd never know they are wealthy.

Trump is basically a caricature of what poor people think wealthy people are like, making GBS threads in gold plated toilets, eating fried chicken with a knife and fork on china, but short of someone driving a Bentley, you would likely never know if the person next to you at the lights or the checkout of the grocery store has 6-7-8 figures in their bank account.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah... not really. It's going that quickly in some places, but the state governments in the GOP-controlled flyovers are dragging their asses like mad, which is going to keep travel unsafe that much longer.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The richest person I ever met was the realest person at a party I was at which had lots of singers, managers etc...

And we talked about Duke basketball in the corner all night drinking cheap beer.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

slidebite posted:

The gap in wealth between millionaires and billionaires is hard to grasp for people.

That said, people who are rich and relatively "normal" you'd never know they are wealthy.

Trump is basically a caricature of what poor people think wealthy people are like, making GBS threads in gold plated toilets, eating fried chicken with a knife and fork on china, but short of someone driving a Bentley, you would likely never know if the person next to you at the lights or the checkout of the grocery store has 6-7-8 figures in their bank account.

There was a book called the Millionaire Next Door that surveyed people with net worth over a million, and the one thing from it that stuck with me is that most millionaires drive a not-new American car. It might be a nice Caddy or Denali but it's often not the luxury euro car we all think of. Hell, my 2nd boss was worth 19 million dollars and he daily drove a Lincoln Navigator. He did put a supercharger kit on it though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

On a different topic, I got some Don Julio 1942 for my birthday and drat... that's some good poo poo. I've never been one to sip tequila. Before now.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 3, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

meatpimp posted:

Governor of Texas just rescinded the mask order and says Texas should be open 100% right now.

Good news! Texas beat Covid! Nothing bad can happen from this!

I just saw that, and I am beyond upset. loving really? We’re 49th out of 50 in terms of population vaccinated, or so I hear (and believe.) What in the absolute gently caress is he thinking? Jesus Christ, we’re never going to get out of this until everyone is dead.
I mean, *Abbot* is fully vaccinated, so he’s good, right.
rear end in a top hat.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

meatpimp posted:

On a different topic, I got some Don Julio 1942 for my birthday and drat... that's some good poo poo. I've never been one to sip tequila. Before now.

When I moved to mexico, I learned quickly that I had to pick a couple "favorite tequilas" since everyone loved sipping that after a meal. Don Julio Reposado was my go-to, and the Don Julio 70 is a tequila I actively seek out because it's so smooth. Would love to try the 1942 but i'm not sure i want to drop $150 on a bottle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Happy Birthday Jerk!

Did you just turn 50 too or was that someone else

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

luminalflux posted:

When I moved to mexico, I learned quickly that I had to pick a couple "favorite tequilas" since everyone loved sipping that after a meal. Don Julio Reposado was my go-to, and the Don Julio 70 is a tequila I actively seek out because it's so smooth. Would love to try the 1942 but i'm not sure i want to drop $150 on a bottle.

I'd never pay that kind of scratch myself, but I've never tasted tequila like this, either... I'll have to try some other "good" tequilas now.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Happy Birthday Jerk!

Did you just turn 50 too or was that someone else

Thanks, and yep, I'm officially an old.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

An individual overdraft fee, no. A stack of overdraft fees, especially when banks have been found to re-order transactions largest-to-smallest to make sure the account goes negative sooner, yes.

Yes, our banking system is hosed, like every other American system. It's designed to make it very expensive to be any variation of "poor".

To be fair, that was Bank of America and they were forced to pay it back.

When I was 23 and an idiot just starting my career I never had more than a a few hundred in my checking account and the days before paychecks could be rough.

Anyway, the day before I got paid, I splurged and bought coffee in the morning, some medicine at the pharmacy, lunch and probably some other random poo poo, all on my debit card which had enough to cover it all.

I got gas on my debit card after work and unbeknownst to me the gas station automagically put a large hold on my account, which triggered overdraft which was reordered so that everything I bought earlier in the day posted after the hold and I got hit with like 6 overdrafts or $150 in fees.

I bitched to BoA and their “favor” to me was to cut 6 overdraft charges to 3.

A few years later I got some bullshit settlement check in the mail.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kronix posted:

To be fair, that was Bank of America and they were forced to pay it back.

When I was 23 and an idiot just starting my career I never had more than a a few hundred in my checking account and the days before paychecks could be rough.

Anyway, the day before I got paid, I splurged and bought coffee in the morning, some medicine at the pharmacy, lunch and probably some other random poo poo, all on my debit card which had enough to cover it all.

I got gas on my debit card after work and unbeknownst to me the gas station automagically put a large hold on my account, which triggered overdraft which was reordered so that everything I bought earlier in the day posted after the hold and I got hit with like 6 overdrafts or $150 in fees.

I bitched to BoA and their “favor” to me was to cut 6 overdraft charges to 3.

A few years later I got some bullshit settlement check in the mail.

Wells Fargo too, they hit new back when I was 18 aaaaaand broke.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I'd never pay that kind of scratch myself, but I've never tasted tequila like this, either... I'll have to try some other "good" tequilas now.

There's a ton of very interesting tequilas and mezcal out there to try. There's also a lot of terrible ones that are used as well tequila for shots or margaritas. It took me a while to realize the difference.

I'm doing the same journey right now with rum as my wife got me a couple tiki books and tiki mugs for xmas, so now our liquor cabinet is mostly rum by this point.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Greg12 posted:

hi
am i stupid for being excited about nu bronco (real, not sport)

My dad has been on the waiting list for the past year or so and he finally got approved. He placed his order yesterday for a 4 door soft top with the 7 speed.

Can't wait to drive it but there's no telling if he'll get it this year b/c there are 190k orders and Ford claims it can only produce about 70k a year at current volume.

meatpimp posted:

Never think you've seen true wealth. A family friend has a Carrera 4 Cabriolet. That he never drives because it's in one of his 5000+ square foot homes that he rarely goes to. It's astonishing.

And it's nothing compared to my best friend, who is high enough up in a company that he has meetings with the billionaire owner.

Most people never even SEE rich people. There are very few billionaires, and their wealth is staggering in comparison with the randos that have a few dozen million.

The richest person I ever met was the CEO of Hi REZ studios and his place was no where near as crazy as the on you just described lol.

LloydDobler posted:

There was a book called the Millionaire Next Door that surveyed people with net worth over a million, and the one thing from it that stuck with me is that most millionaires drive a not-new American car. It might be a nice Caddy or Denali but it's often not the luxury euro car we all think of. Hell, my 2nd boss was worth 19 million dollars and he daily drove a Lincoln Navigator. He did put a supercharger kit on it though.

That book was written in 1996. The advice is still solid and $1 million hardly makes someone rich these days...

Anyways I'm sure that most ppl in that tax bracket drive Toyotas these days tbh.

slidebite posted:

I think that was his appeal honestly. Everyone in America likes to think of themselves as a rich man in waiting.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

LloydDobler posted:

This is so true. Like 3 of my customers are millionaires and 2 of them drive 00s GM trucks and one drives a 10s F150 Ecoboost.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Self made millionaires I know are usually smart enough to know they shouldn't throw 10s of thousands of their money at massively deprecating assets liabilities every year. Sure, there are exceptions and some might have toys but daily drivers are generally nothing crazy or glitzy for the majority in my experience.

Out of the ones that I know personally, the glitziest car in the bunch is a 2020 Tesla. Others are totally innocuous, shockingly boring regular cars, like Hondas, Toyotas and Subarus. And even those are not top trims.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 3, 2021

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My self-made millionaire parents have a 2012 Silverado 1500, a 2020 Silverado 1500, a 2020 Kia Sorento, and a 2016? Porsche Boxster S.

The GMT 900 gets driven the most, followed by the Sorento.

E: For the record, of all four, I prefer driving the GMT900 the most, and the new GM truck is the absolute worst GM product I have ever driven.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 3, 2021

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

slidebite posted:

Out of the ones that I know personally, the glitziest car in the bunch is a 2020 Tesla.

One of the more interesting things about Tesla to me is that they've drawn in not just green car buyers, and luxury car buyers, but people who were perfectly happy with their Hondas and Toyotas. The Accord and Civic rank in the top-5 of the most traded-in cars for Model 3s, and the Camry and Mazda 3 are in the top-10. You can also see this at work here, with the EV crowd being a different and larger crowd than the regular AI crowd.

My big question is have EVs activated a love of cars and driving in these persons, or is this phenomenon driven by tech and status?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Billionaires don’t agonise over which of the 918, LaFerrari and P1 they are gunna buy, they just buy all of them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Godzilla07 posted:

One of the more interesting things about Tesla to me is that they've drawn in not just green car buyers, and luxury car buyers, but people who were perfectly happy with their Hondas and Toyotas. The Accord and Civic rank in the top-5 of the most traded-in cars for Model 3s, and the Camry and Mazda 3 are in the top-10. You can also see this at work here, with the EV crowd being a different and larger crowd than the regular AI crowd.

My big question is have EVs activated a love of cars and driving in these persons, or is this phenomenon driven by tech and status?

Pure tech and status IMHO. Everyone I know who is big into Tesla specifically says part of what sold them is the promise of eventual self-driving, because they hate driving.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
RIP Texas.
Hope you TX goons can stay safe.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I’ve been working a little while now. Nice to have a moment maybe but now I don’t know what to do with myself. Doesn’t feel good. Oh well, sleep soon and more work ahead. Six months at least I think. Hope y’all are doing well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Took my dad to some exams today, while driving home he basically admitted (under the effects of sedation) that he'd cheated on my mother years ago and now I'm very annoyed with him. They divorced 12 years ago but he was referencing events from 20 years ago.

Ugh.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

Took my dad to some exams today, while driving home he basically admitted (under the effects of sedation) that he'd cheated on my mother years ago and now I'm very annoyed with him. They divorced 12 years ago but he was referencing events from 20 years ago.

Ugh.

He’s still your dad. Be gentle on him. You can’t know for sure it happened if it was said while under the effects of the sedative. He certainly lacked the capacity to explain himself fully.

In getting old news, I’m 37 at the end of the month. I hurt my back lifting something in a bad way a couple of weeks ago and it’s really not in a hurry to heal. Getting old sucks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

slidebite posted:

Very simple but still one of the best visualizations of what a billion actually looks like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwgRDW05-ZY

LloydDobler posted:

We grew up next to literal millionaires and I had no idea until a couple years ago. Older couple, were both professors at the local college, lived in a very basic three bedroom two bath next to my parents and never drove anything less than probably five years old. Only reason I found out was for his 60th birthday he bought a really nice all original 50's cruiser and he mentioned he felt like he needed to do something with all the money he had laying around when he was over showing off the car. Nicest people and you never would have known it.

Going to spend some time this morning signing up for covid vaccine in every county within an hour and a half drive. My county, and the largest one locally, are behind and constantly loving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

NitroSpazzz posted:

Very simple but still one of the best visualizations of what a billion actually looks like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwgRDW05-ZY

We grew up next to literal millionaires and I had no idea until a couple years ago. Older couple, were both professors at the local college, lived in a very basic three bedroom two bath next to my parents and never drove anything less than probably five years old. Only reason I found out was for his 60th birthday he bought a really nice all original 50's cruiser and he mentioned he felt like he needed to do something with all the money he had laying around when he was over showing off the car. Nicest people and you never would have known it.

Going to spend some time this morning signing up for covid vaccine in every county within an hour and a half drive. My county, and the largest one locally, are behind and constantly loving up.

I mentioned in the GBS Aussie thread but DHL are in charge of the vaccine distribution in our country. Some big wig for the company was on a national radio station going on about how well they have the logistics sorted. Nope. They are so desperate for refrigeration systems that they are calling ANYONE related to any form of refrigeration, even us who have maybe 2 or 3 crate cryogenic systems for reasons. Yeah we have stuff, no we don't know how to make you medical refrigeration. But come ask us when you want to power whatever you find. Seriously... asking random companies to magically bespoke manufacture medical grade refrigeration from scratch.

Good Luck DHL ya dumbasses. RIP my state.