Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Iron Crowned posted:

I like how the advertising campaigns I've seen have been leaning more on the fact that they're opening it in theaters than anything else

I love that everything that's been released with the premise "it's to die for" is trash.

There haven't been any movies worth going to the theater for except that you miss the experience which is pretty lol.

I mean, for me. I don't miss it but I don't miss going in to work 5 times a week either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah the only reason I brought up the movie was because of a YouTube ad I got that was basically begging me to come to the theater to see this trash

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Iron Crowned posted:

I like how the advertising campaigns I've seen have been leaning more on the fact that they're opening it in theaters than anything else

Chaos Walking: a thing you can see!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Chaos Walking is like a cryptid in that we knew it was made at one point but then all we ever saw was like two photographs for years but now it is real and it is just Spider-Man in a ratty ape costume

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Let's not kid ourselves, we would all die for Green Knight.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I want to see The Green Knight and then watch it again.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The List

-Green Knight
-The Northman
-Dune
-Saint Maud

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also are there any good fantasy/historical movies in Spanish? I rewatched pans labyrinth for the millionth time and I'm getting an itch that I'm worried only guillermo del toro will be able to scratch

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Klowner posted:

Also are there any good fantasy/historical movies in Spanish? I rewatched pans labyrinth for the millionth time and I'm getting an itch that I'm worried only guillermo del toro will be able to scratch

I liked the recent Guatemalan movie La Llorona. Though it is very low budget, and kind of on the edge between horror and fantasy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Klowner posted:

The List

-Green Knight
-The Northman
-Dune
-Saint Maud

I’m still pretty excited for the Many Saints of Newark

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

8one6 posted:

Yeah, but it's in Cincinnati of all places.

No one expects superheroes to have their HQ in Ohio.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

No one expects superheroes to have their HQ in Ohio.

The Justice League sits down to meet, but first they eat their spaghetti covered in "chili"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fartington Butts posted:

The Justice League sits down to meet, but first they eat their spaghetti covered in "chili"

Darkseid Did Nothing Wrong

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Klowner posted:

Do you want Spain Spanish or will the gigantic amount of awesome Mexican horror, fantasy, and luchador flicks from the 50s-60s work?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Klowner posted:

El topo?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Klowner posted:

Not a movie and I haven't seen it so I don't know its quality, but 30 Coins on HBO looks like a supernatural horror series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOAxchyLZ00

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It kinda sucks that the chaos walking adaptation apparently fell apart in production because the books are extremely good

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Dungeons & Dragons cast is filling out

quote:

Hugh Grant has been cast in the main antagonist role in the big-budget feature adaptation of the popular fantasy role-playing game from Wizards on the Coast. At the same time, Sophia Lillis, best known for her work in the It horror movies, has also joined the bold-faced name of the production that also includes Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith and Regé-Jean Page.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hugh-grant-sophia-lillis-join-chris-pine-in-dungeons-dragons-movie

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Umm I don't see Marlon Wayans or Jeremy Irons anywhere on that list???

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has Hugh Grant ever played a villain before?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The main character is named “dork”?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bridget Jones Diary. not-Tony-Blair.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He plays a cannibal in Cloud Atlas.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The miniseries A Very English Scandal. He played Jeremy Thorpe, the closeted gay leader of the UK Liberal Party who got put on trial for trying to arrange the murder of an ex-lover to keep their relationship secret.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone hasn't seen Paddington 2

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cacator posted:

Umm I don't see Marlon Wayans or Jeremy Irons anywhere on that list???

That first D&D movie was based on a setting created by someone working on the movie for his personal game sessions. I don't think they can use it.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The main character is named “dork”?

Ah, so the protag is an everyday slub who gets dropped into the fantasy world.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

dungeon cousin posted:

Ah, so the protag is an everyday slub who gets dropped into the fantasy world.

So Chris Pine gets hit by a bus and is transported to, idk, Faerun, where his encyclopedic knowledge of D&D makes him incredibly powerful and attractive to women?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I always thought it would be interesting to have a D&D movie explicitly take place inside someone's campaign, and to use the fantasy world as a way for the real-world versions of the characters to work through unresolved issues they have with each other.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Robot Style posted:

I always thought it would be interesting to have a D&D movie explicitly take place inside someone's campaign, and to use the fantasy world as a way for the real-world versions of the characters to work through unresolved issues they have with each other.

That's an episode of IT crowd.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Community kind of did it a couple of times too, though not with the budget that would allow the in-game portions of the story to be fully realized.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Snowman_McK posted:

That's an episode of IT crowd.

That's every episode of anything featuring DnD.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Robot Style posted:

Right, sort of a Breakfast Club meets Princess Bride meets Dwayne Johnson Jumanji sort of deal

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mythic Quest and The Guild, though I guess both of those are about not-WoW rather than D&D.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Not a movie and I haven't seen it so I don't know its quality, but 30 Coins on HBO looks like a supernatural horror series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOAxchyLZ00

I’ve only heard good things about this show.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Has no one else watched the Paddington movies????

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Eric Andre/Lil Rel movie Bad Trip is finally coming out, on Netflix March 26th.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The best possible adaptation for D&D is a sitcom. Low stakes goofing around in a fantasy world is the only proper way to capture the energy of a good D&D group.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Murder Hobos

but less Blood Meridian and more Always Sunny

Asterite34 posted:

So Chris Pine gets hit by a bus and is transported to, idk, Faerun, where his encyclopedic knowledge of D&D makes him incredibly powerful and attractive to women?

That Time I Got Reincarnated as an Ochre Jelly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
If Hugh Grant played the same guy from "The Gentlemen" I would be all over that.