Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Cade 😎

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Hopefully this punches our at large ticket

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Michigan moved past Baylor in Kenpom, still way behind Gonzaga though.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I just knew this guy as the one whose games you mute but goddamn
https://twitter.com/nkalamb/status/1365702515652755456

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Cade Cunningham would have easily gone #1 last year and probably would have gone #1 in the Zion year. The last player I feel like he wouldn't have gone #1 over is Ben Simmons.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

Cade Cunningham would have easily gone #1 last year and probably would have gone #1 in the Zion year. The last player I feel like he wouldn't have gone #1 over is Ben Simmons.

Zion was way better than Simmons so ?????

I don't think he'd have gone before Zion but otherwise I'd probably take him over everyone since AD or maybe KAT. Zion is legit the best college player of all time

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Zion was so great, why didn't RJ Barrett give Zion the ball more :colbert:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I mean, Zion is a freak and does things no one of his size should be doing, but I think best college basketball player of all time might be a stretch.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Chief McHeath posted:

I mean, Zion is a freak and does things no one of his size should be doing, but I think best college basketball player of all time might be a stretch.

by the numbers it was one of the most dominant seasons ever

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MourningView posted:

Zion was way better than Simmons so ?????

I don't think he'd have gone before Zion but otherwise I'd probably take him over everyone since AD or maybe KAT. Zion is legit the best college player of all time

Yes Zion's obviously better than Simmons but in reference to entering the NBA draft Simmons was thought of as this once in a generation can't miss prospect. It's just amusing that Simmons never grew past his floor. Zion's great, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't as highly regarded and really wasn't the clear #1 until the end of his year. If Coach K used him properly he probably would have been the biggest prospect since LeBron.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Baylor's first loss tonight.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wiltsghost posted:

Baylor's first loss tonight.

So we can all agree that Michigan's the second best team in the country yeah?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Kirios posted:

Probably. KU isn't very good this year and handled Baylor pretty easily.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

Yes Zion's obviously better than Simmons but in reference to entering the NBA draft Simmons was thought of as this once in a generation can't miss prospect. It's just amusing that Simmons never grew past his floor. Zion's great, don't get me wrong, but he wasn't as highly regarded and really wasn't the clear #1 until the end of his year. If Coach K used him properly he probably would have been the biggest prospect since LeBron.

Simmons (who to be clear is and was very good) was definitely not thought of that way, that was way more true of Zion. There were a ton of people who argued from Ingram over Simmons, the shooting thing was already an obvious issue and he didn't give a poo poo at all about playing college and was on a lovely team. He was more highly regarded out if high school but not after they'd both played a college season.

Kirios posted:

They're playing better right now, sure, but I'd want to see what Baylor looks like when they're further removed from the massive covid layoff and, I mean, even then Kansas is a better loss than Minnesota.

Chief McHeath posted:

In the last, like, 20 years it's definitely not but I guess if you want to argue that players in the 60s or 70snwere as good as players now you could try to make an argument. There has pretty much never been a more efficient volume scorer and he was an insanely dominant defensive player too. Brandon Clarke was putting up all time great efficiency numbers that year too and wasn't even really close to Zion.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't recall people thinking that way about Simmons - it was more he was on an awful team at LSU than anything else about his game. Zion still had size issues right up until draft day, but agree to disagree on that. I'm still quite irritated that Duke never used him properly - especially when Barrett looks like a bust at the next level. Why the gently caress did Coach K want the offense to revolve around R.J.?!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Coach K is washed as an in game coach and coasting off dropping bags and having all the Team USA connections to one and done guys

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MourningView posted:

They're playing better right now, sure, but I'd want to see what Baylor looks like when they're further removed from the massive covid layoff and, I mean, even then Kansas is a better loss than Minnesota.

The wildest thing to me in this whole Michigan season is that the net result of a state-mandated three-week layoff, with two full weeks of drat-near full quarantine, was a lovely first half against Wisconsin.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

facialimpediment posted:

The wildest thing to me in this whole Michigan season is that the net result of a state-mandated three-week layoff, with two full weeks of drat-near full quarantine, was a lovely first half against Wisconsin.

Baylor had people actually sick though right? They were still missing rotation players when they restarted. That's a pretty big difference from the Michigan pause. But yeah Michigan getting back up to speed so fast was impressive

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

facialimpediment posted:

I wouldn’t even put all of that first half on Michigan, Wisconsin just happened to use all their 3 point makes in that 20 minutes.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1366177369992683529

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what the hell is that music and that robot voice

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It's generally not my thing to criticize college kids/players, but this is some good karma.

https://twitter.com/totally_t_bomb/status/1366790793739051011?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It turns out shooting layups with the goal of breaking the opponent's nose first and making the basket second is not optimum efficiency

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He better fuckin suck poo poo tonight too

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

he uses up all his energy on the defensive end where he falcon punches his way through the screener’s balls

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Virginia Tech canceled tomorrow night's game against Louisville for COVID protocols, which was a game they really needed to help shore up the NCAA bid. Gotta think they're gonna be racing against the clock for the ACCT too.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Bummer for Michigan-Illinois tonight.

https://twitter.com/DPiper247/status/1366880580378370048

Right call though. Michigan likely has the Big Ten locked up and Ayo's needed for tourney runs.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

facialimpediment posted:

Right call though. Michigan likely has the Big Ten locked up.

err, about that...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

predicto posted:

err, about that...

I mean they still do even if they lose, unless you really think MSU is going to sweep them

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

predicto posted:

err, about that...

https://barttorvik.com/conodds.php?conf=B10

Big Ten just officially announced it will be based on win percentage. I believe it's any Michigan win *or* any Illinois loss right now.

Edit: Illinois has to beat Ohio State. Michigan has to lose twice in three days to Michigan State.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 3, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

good gravy

https://twitter.com/cucoachmac/status/1366881130151034886?s=20

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

facialimpediment posted:

Bummer for Michigan-Illinois tonight.

https://twitter.com/DPiper247/status/1366880580378370048

Right call though. Michigan likely has the Big Ten locked up and Ayo's needed for tourney runs.

:toot:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I was super-duper right that it was the right call! :suicide:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
*extreme bill simmons voice*

does illinois have some ewing theory potential, jack-o??? are we SURE ayo is good???

also feel pretty good about still thinking Gonzaga is the best team

facialimpediment posted:

I was super-duper right that it was the right call! :suicide:

I don't know why people are dunking on that post you are still right and it's not like you said illinois was going to lose the game

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

MourningView posted:

*extreme bill simmons voice*

does illinois have some ewing theory potential, jack-o??? are we SURE ayo is good???

also feel pretty good about still thinking Gonzaga is the best team

I still think it's baylor due to how they handled the illini but that metric makes msu #2

I wasn't dunking on the post, frankly it seems like michigan came out flat and part of that was probably knowing ayo was out

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

facialimpediment posted:

It's generally not my thing to criticize college kids/players, but this is some good karma.

https://twitter.com/totally_t_bomb/status/1366790793739051011?s=19

He went 1-4 tonight to get that up to 22%.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

PotatoJudge posted:

He went 1-4 tonight to get that up to 22%.

Not gonna lie, Davison loving up lessens the hurt of a Michigan loss :v:

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

facialimpediment posted:

Not gonna lie, Davison loving up lessens the hurt of a Michigan loss :v:

The best part of the game was him getting a flop warning and watching him cry at the ref all the way back up the court.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
A couple years ago when two Wisconsin starters had season-ending injuries on the same day and limped to their first sub-500 record in ages, I could at least still enjoy watching Ethan Happ. He was a nightmare in the post, a stellar rebounder, and could pass out of double teams enough to get assists regularly.

No good comes from watching this Wisconsin basketball team. Even if your team beats them, you still had to spend 2 hours watching absolute bullshit offense clang the iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

reading that “i’m sorry” in the john mulaney voice and cackling