Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You just stumbled on wanky and “audiophile.” I bet that big knob feels fantastic, but it’s not more functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There is no $90 "audiophile" product, that's far too cheap.
https://tortugaaudio.com/products/passive-preamps/ldr3000p-v25-passive-preamp/

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I would like to use an old XB360 I've been given recently but I am not sure how to get sound out of it in the most convenient way. I do not have the proprietary cable that provides you the coaxial plugs, so I am going to buy one of these for around 5$: https://www.ebay.com/itm/XBox-360-G...JQAAOSwfCZZysFj

I want to connect this to a Sabaj D3 that I am really happy with it as it can be powered via USB and is generally exactly what I want: http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/productshow.asp?id=70

Now I need to connect the coaxial cables to the Sabaj INPUT3 (see link above), but how? My question is: Don't coaxial cables come in pairs for stereo? Do I misunderstand something here? I can't connect the optical from the XBox to the device as this is already used by the PC. Do I simply buy a merging cable that combines the 2 coaxial cables from the Box to one? Do I lose stereo? Or is that IN3 input something entirely different? Would appreciate some help. Thank you!

Alternatively I could use the headphone jack from my screen and connect it to the Sabaj, but I still don't know what kind of cable I would need. Maybe that's even better. Thanks for any answers!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The white and red rca outputs on the dongle cable are left and right analog outputs. The only digital output on it is optical.

If it had a digital coax output, that would only be a single cable carrying both left and right signals.

I don't see analog inputs on the sabaj that you could use.

Maybe a hdmi audio extractor that outputs digital coax would work better than the proprietary dongle?

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Could you do USB input from your computer, then you'd have the optical input available for the xbox. This is presuming that the sabaj is smart about switching between various inputs / you're not using them all at once, since you might end up having to unplug cables otherwise anyhow.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Baby Proof posted:

Could you do USB input from your computer, then you'd have the optical input available for the xbox.
Yep, this is what I am going to do. Never heard of coaxial carrying digital audio before. Thanks to you both, Flipperwaldt and Baby Proof!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Yep, this is what I am going to do. Never heard of coaxial carrying digital audio before. Thanks to you both, Flipperwaldt and Baby Proof!

well digital coax exists, just not as/over red/white RCA connections. but its the same RCA connector.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Baby Proof posted:

Could you do USB input from your computer, then you'd have the optical input available for the xbox.
Ah jesus obviously :doh:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I need a simple mixer to combine the stereo mini jack outputs of 2 desktop (one PC with split mini jacks, one iMac with a 4 pole minijack combo port for headphones/mic) to a single stereo mini jack for my headphones. It would be nice if I could also combine it with a mic mixer so I can choose where which desktop to send the mic input to.

I guess I'll need a 4 channel mixer, plus a bunch of adapters?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

evil_bunnY posted:

I need a simple mixer to combine the stereo mini jack outputs of 2 desktop (one PC with split mini jacks, one iMac with a 4 pole minijack combo port for headphones/mic) to a single stereo mini jack for my headphones. It would be nice if I could also combine it with a mic mixer so I can choose where which desktop to send the mic input to.

I guess I'll need a 4 channel mixer, plus a bunch of adapters?
There are a bunch of reasonably priced mixers out there but the one with multi mic input generally are mixing the mic input in with the audio signals for performances and not passing through to a recorder independently.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe as an alternative get a USB sound interface and then use a USB kvm switch kinda thing? Or do you want the sound from both to be playing at all times?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking for a Bluetooth speaker for my home that 1) plugs in to the wall by default, 2) has a remote control, and 3) doesn't sound like poo poo.

I'm trying to get better about reading books or engaging in hobbies that don't involve my phone, and every time I pick up my phone to change music, I get sucked into a vortex of Twitter or SomethingAwful. Amazon is full of so many knockoffs and weird brands and portable li-on speakers and I was just curious if anyone had some quick recommendations

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jivjov posted:

I'm looking for a Bluetooth speaker for my home that 1) plugs in to the wall by default, 2) has a remote control, and 3) doesn't sound like poo poo.

I'm trying to get better about reading books or engaging in hobbies that don't involve my phone, and every time I pick up my phone to change music, I get sucked into a vortex of Twitter or SomethingAwful. Amazon is full of so many knockoffs and weird brands and portable li-on speakers and I was just curious if anyone had some quick recommendations

if I was buying that specific type of bluetooth device I'd go Audioengine B1

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 25, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
^^^I have a B2, it’s really great for what it is. Really high quality fit and finish and great sound (it’s just two A2s stuck together).

I also have an inexpensive Anker portable “2.1” battery speaker that I paid like $22 on sale for and it’s excellent for what it is too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Laserface posted:

if I was buying that specific type of bluetooth device I'd go Audioengine B1

My concern here is that I don't currently have any kind of setup already, so a receiver alone is going to do me a whole lot of good. But I'll definitely keep that in mind for if I put together a proper audio setup in the future

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jivjov posted:

My concern here is that I don't currently have any kind of setup already, so a receiver alone is going to do me a whole lot of good. But I'll definitely keep that in mind for if I put together a proper audio setup in the future

Is the B1 not a speaker that plugs in and has Bluetooth? That's what you asked for.

Plenty of receivers out there that have BT in them, you can also get Bluetooth recovers and connect those directly to powered speakers.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No? It’s a Bluetooth receiver.

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/ada...pc&utm_term=775

Edit to say if you’re having trouble focusing because you get sucked into the phone, I wonder if maybe you should consider a smart speaker that can play from your service of choice with voice commands? That way you can start it up without the screen temptation.

powderific fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 25, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Laserface posted:

Is the B1 not a speaker that plugs in and has Bluetooth? That's what you asked for.

Plenty of receivers out there that have BT in them, you can also get Bluetooth recovers and connect those directly to powered speakers.

It's the B2

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/wirelessspeakers/b2-wireless-speaker-2/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

powderific posted:

Edit to say if you’re having trouble focusing because you get sucked into the phone, I wonder if maybe you should consider a smart speaker that can play from your service of choice with voice commands? That way you can start it up without the screen temptation.

Yeah, I'm considering that option as well. Really what prompted the question is that I had an old lovely Bluetooth speaker tower that I won in a work raffle that quit working

You can tell how old it is from the 30-pin connector on top. I just wanted something similar with which I could just pair my phone, start an album and go. Lately I've just been having my phone play it, but the onboard speakers of an iPhone aren't super great.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

powderific posted:

Sorry! I initially typed B2 but was like 'no that cant be the name, they dont have another BT product in the lineup, its the B1' and my data connection wasnt great so couldnt load their product page.

the B2 is what you want.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If you have an iPhone, the seamless integration of a HomePod shouldn’t be ignored.

Otherwise, I would go with AudioEngine.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
the homepod regular edition is an amazing speaker in its own right despite being only eligible for existing apple households

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

i haven't auditioned one so i cant really comment but from what I understand they do not compete on sound quality alone with similarly priced speakers.

considering where I live they launched at $500AUD, they'd wanna sound pretty drat good.

in fact, the more I read about Apples current audio stuff, the more Im surprised at how badly they do it compared to other things. AAC gets re-encoded to AAC when transmitting over bluetooth for example.

you'd think they'd put good DACs and spend special care on great sound quality but everything I hear about Airpod/pros/max is 'they're good but anything in the same price range is significantly better sounding'

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

powderific posted:

Maybe as an alternative get a USB sound interface and then use a USB kvm switch kinda thing? Or do you want the sound from both to be playing at all times?
That's what I want yeah. I think I'm going to get a stereo 2ch mixer and a passive mono switch for the mic. I don't need the mic to output to both machines at the same time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
anybody have any thoughts about the various class D kits that are out there? Mainly the Hypex/DIYclassD kits and the ICEpower stuff that’s available through such as Parts-express, etc?

Are they worth looking at for monoblock/poweramp duty or is it better to go with a prebuilt solution like- for example- XTZ’s amps, or even something like one of those Crown pro amp dealies that have the internet all fired up these days?

How do Hypex amps compare to ICE, given that it seems like it’s always been a thing that they’re 1.5-2x the price?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

My sister is a stick and poke tattoo artist and during the lockdown she wants to try something new and do ASMR recordings of her sessions (right now just people in her bubble) - from my understanding what she's going to be recording (needle going into skin, hand manipulating needle) isn't going to be optimal for recording.

We discussed the importance of ASMR content being stereo, detailed, and "close", and I don't know what microphone setup to recommend.

I was thinking the 3DIO ear mics that people use, but that's impractical and too expensive.

I have a blue yeti so we could test with that but something tells me we'd want a directional mic pointed at the part of the body where she will be working.

Does uh, anyone have any insight into this?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

forest spirit posted:

My sister is a stick and poke tattoo artist and during the lockdown she wants to try something new and do ASMR recordings of her sessions (right now just people in her bubble) - from my understanding what she's going to be recording (needle going into skin, hand manipulating needle) isn't going to be optimal for recording.

We discussed the importance of ASMR content being stereo, detailed, and "close", and I don't know what microphone setup to recommend.

I was thinking the 3DIO ear mics that people use, but that's impractical and too expensive.

I have a blue yeti so we could test with that but something tells me we'd want a directional mic pointed at the part of the body where she will be working.

Does uh, anyone have any insight into this?

this is a question better aimed at Musician’s Lounge (and maybe the sex Megathread, IDK)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Thanks for the heads up! I'll go bother them

saltoftheearth
Jul 15, 2006

Don't bug me.
Anyone have a favorite home theater processor (not receiver) in the $3k-10k range? Must have an excellent phantom center and support for 7.4.1 atmos. Yes really

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They're all going to sound the same since they all use either Dirac or Audyssey so pick the one with the features you want at the best price.

The Monoprice one has the entire kitchen sink as far as features goes and doesn't carry (as much of) an audiophile tax.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 28, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

saltoftheearth posted:

Anyone have a favorite home theater processor (not receiver) in the $3k-10k range? Must have an excellent phantom center and support for 7.4.1 atmos. Yes really
There is no "excellent" phantom center, the algorithms for downmixing are set by Dolby/DTS, which is good because they work and filthy electronics companies can't gently caress them up. I'd spend at the bottom of that budget this year since the whole 2.1 thing is still in flux, the new Anthems like the AVM 70 look really capable and they have great room correction. If it was my money I'd just get a [relatively] cheap receiver with pre-outs like the Denon 3700 and come back to it in a couple years before making a big investment.

saltoftheearth
Jul 15, 2006

Don't bug me.
Price is no object and let's pretend I'm getting something this week. Happy with the Arcam AV40 I got a few months ago, it's just going in for repairs a second time now.

I'm really looking for positive direct experience or models that I have overlooked. The AVM 70 is a perfect suggestion and my leading contender. The AVM 90 would be if it were out. I found the AVM 60 to be just whelming and kind of finicky, but I love the heck out of Paradigm so I'm hopeful. Also ARC1 and ARC2 were very not as good as real dirac/audyssey pro, but another day another calibration system I guess.

Feel free to sell me on McIntosh or Rotel or other weird stuff if you really like it, but it just seems weird and bad to me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

saltoftheearth posted:

Price is no object and let's pretend I'm getting something this week. Happy with the Arcam AV40 I got a few months ago, it's just going in for repairs a second time now.

I'm really looking for positive direct experience or models that I have overlooked. The AVM 70 is a perfect suggestion and my leading contender. The AVM 90 would be if it were out. I found the AVM 60 to be just whelming and kind of finicky, but I love the heck out of Paradigm so I'm hopeful. Also ARC1 and ARC2 were very not as good as real dirac/audyssey pro, but another day another calibration system I guess.

Feel free to sell me on McIntosh or Rotel or other weird stuff if you really like it, but it just seems weird and bad to me.

run all of your speakers off of tube monoblocks

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Any reason they're not just straight replacing the Arcam with one that actually works?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hey all, I made an impulse purchase on a Dayton APA102BT open box deal. My plan is to add it to my existing system in bridge mode. I realize now that this is kind of over complicated and stupid, but I want to do it anyway, cause why not, learning experience. I do have some questions though.

Firstly, my existing setup is my TV outputting stereo RCA to my existing APA102 with the main stereo RCA output on said amplifier connected to my powered subwoofer. The amp of course powers my pair of tower speakers. Sub and stereo amp and TV are all at fixed volume levels with volume controlled through my Nvidia Shield.

If I stack a new, identical amp on top, I'll need to choose one to be left and one to be right channel, so I'll simple get two RCA splitters, one connected to the left channel output, and the other to the right channel output and connect the resulting dual mono outputs to each amp, right? There's also an obvious switch that I would set to "BRIDGE" mode. Or do I use the existing stereo RCA and put one to the left amp's left input and right to right? I'm also a little confused about the speaker output labeling in regards to the bridge mode. Finally, what is the best way to hook up to the subwoofer? Do I connect the amplifier output from both amps (one left, one right) to the sub?

Ugh, I hope this is understandable, I can draw a diagram if this isn't clear enough. Thanks for the help, I feel like such a noob all of a sudden.

Here's the manual
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/300-593--dayton-audio-apa102bt-user-manual.pdf

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I've been given some free Tannoy Mercury M1 speakers. I have no idea how good these are but I want to use them in a low-effort, low-cost vinyl setup that I can upgrade depending on how deep I go down that rabbit hole. I think I'm set on the Audio Technica 120 and its built-in pre-amp for now, but when I want to add the ability to stream from my phone to the setup, what's my best option?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wachter posted:

I've been given some free Tannoy Mercury M1 speakers. I have no idea how good these are but I want to use them in a low-effort, low-cost vinyl setup that I can upgrade depending on how deep I go down that rabbit hole. I think I'm set on the Audio Technica 120 and its built-in pre-amp for now, but when I want to add the ability to stream from my phone to the setup, what's my best option?

do you have an amp/receiver?

Before you pull the trigger on a 120 there are arguably better turntables for similar money, some that don’t have preamps. Depending on your amp you may not need a turntable with its own pre or an external.

What’s your total ideal budget? What kind of sources do you want? Bluetooth/Airplay/internet direct? CD player? Tapes? TV/Console/video?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Ok Comboomer posted:

do you have an amp/receiver?

Before you pull the trigger on a 120 there are arguably better turntables for similar money, some that don’t have preamps. Depending on your amp you may not need a turntable with its own pre or an external.

What’s your total ideal budget? What kind of sources do you want? Bluetooth/Airplay/internet direct? CD player? Tapes? TV/Console/video?

The speakers are all I've got right now. For now I'm only interested in vinyl and streaming from my phone via Bluetooth. Budget is in the £600-700 mark but I'd rather spend a little more rather than miss out on something essential

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You were planning on an amp, right? You can't just hook the turntable up to passive speakers.

Here's an everything and the kitchen sink option:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/dendra800h/denon-dra-800h-2-x-100-watts-stereo-receiver-w/heos/1.html
It has phono inputs, so you don't need a preamp on your turntable.

Here's a much more basic option (still with BT):
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Bluetooth-Component-Receiver-SX-10AE/dp/B075SY52NL/

Normally, there would be a lot more options (and at better prices), but 'rona has absolutely hosed the home audio market.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

LRADIKAL posted:

Hey all, I made an impulse purchase on a Dayton APA102BT open box deal. My plan is to add it to my existing system in bridge mode. I realize now that this is kind of over complicated and stupid, but I want to do it anyway, cause why not, learning experience. I do have some questions though.

Firstly, my existing setup is my TV outputting stereo RCA to my existing APA102 with the main stereo RCA output on said amplifier connected to my powered subwoofer. The amp of course powers my pair of tower speakers. Sub and stereo amp and TV are all at fixed volume levels with volume controlled through my Nvidia Shield.

If I stack a new, identical amp on top, I'll need to choose one to be left and one to be right channel, so I'll simple get two RCA splitters, one connected to the left channel output, and the other to the right channel output and connect the resulting dual mono outputs to each amp, right? There's also an obvious switch that I would set to "BRIDGE" mode. Or do I use the existing stereo RCA and put one to the left amp's left input and right to right? I'm also a little confused about the speaker output labeling in regards to the bridge mode. Finally, what is the best way to hook up to the subwoofer? Do I connect the amplifier output from both amps (one left, one right) to the sub?

Ugh, I hope this is understandable, I can draw a diagram if this isn't clear enough. Thanks for the help, I feel like such a noob all of a sudden.

Here's the manual
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/300-593--dayton-audio-apa102bt-user-manual.pdf

Based on the manual, it appears your plan to split the RCA output of your TV to feed a mono signal into both the L and R main input of each bridged amp appears correct. (Not all bridged amp are like this. My RCA amp only uses the L RCA input when bridged). Your lpan to get the RCA out feed for each side from each amp to your sub sounds ok to me. Also for speaker connections it looks like you use just the red terminals in one Zone (the ones connected by the bridge line) with the red positive line from the speaker going to the left side red and the black negative line going to the right side red terminal.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 3, 2021