Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yikes. I got my 2tb 660p for $180 black friday 2019. Worth every penny evicting the last SATA cable from my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
This might sound dumb, but I bought 2x Intel SSDSC2BB600G4 2.5" 600GB SATA Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) from newegg for a project I have. I asked the seller if the the SSDs being sold were new, the response I got was "New bulk pull." I assumed this meant that they were new and just wouldn't come individually boxed, which I was totally fine with. I just got them and while they are in little plastic baggies with no box, there's also a green sticker with while letters on them that says "wiped".

This would mean that they are really a used working pull from a server and not new correct? Why would one wipe a new SSD and go through the trouble of labeling it as such? before I return these I want to make sure that Intel doesn't actually put a sticker on them and I am not crazy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If anyone needs a 2TB 4.0 drive, Amazon has the Sabrent Rocket 4.0 drive for $299. That's close to the historic lowest price for it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MasterOSkillio posted:

This might sound dumb, but I bought 2x Intel SSDSC2BB600G4 2.5" 600GB SATA Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) from newegg for a project I have. I asked the seller if the the SSDs being sold were new, the response I got was "New bulk pull." I assumed this meant that they were new and just wouldn't come individually boxed, which I was totally fine with. I just got them and while they are in little plastic baggies with no box, there's also a green sticker with while letters on them that says "wiped".

This would mean that they are really a used working pull from a server and not new correct? Why would one wipe a new SSD and go through the trouble of labeling it as such? before I return these I want to make sure that Intel doesn't actually put a sticker on them and I am not crazy.

"Pull" typically means removed from a working system. "New bulk pull" is a strange phrase. I'd be inclined to believe it means newly pulled. I could imagine a world where some business bought a bunch of drives they didn't use but still had to go through drive removal procedures before they were disposed of for policy reasons, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you put it in a system some drives will report power ons / uptime. Or any SMART readings indicative of use.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

MasterOSkillio posted:

Check the SMART data, it should show if there's been any significant wear on it. If it's actually new my guess is whoever was unloading the drives has a standard practice to wipe all outgoing drives regardless of usage, or maybe they tag them immediately on arrival to ensure there's no accidental mixing with used drives.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

MasterOSkillio posted:

Intel certainly doesn't put a sticker on there like that.

As Fantastic said, it's possible that they were part of some OEM bulk purchase where they came pre-installed as part of a system and could potentially have had OEM-installed data on it, or wiping them is simply the process the company follows for anything not coming in an actual sealed pack.

If there's no seal on the baggies, there's no harm in popping them in and checking out what the SMART data says about how long / much it's been used.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

"Pull" typically means removed from a working system. "New bulk pull" is a strange phrase. I'd be inclined to believe it means newly pulled. I could imagine a world where some business bought a bunch of drives they didn't use but still had to go through drive removal procedures before they were disposed of for policy reasons, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you put it in a system some drives will report power ons / uptime. Or any SMART readings indicative of use.

isndl posted:

Check the SMART data, it should show if there's been any significant wear on it. If it's actually new my guess is whoever was unloading the drives has a standard practice to wipe all outgoing drives regardless of usage, or maybe they tag them immediately on arrival to ensure there's no accidental mixing with used drives.

DrDork posted:

Intel certainly doesn't put a sticker on there like that.

As Fantastic said, it's possible that they were part of some OEM bulk purchase where they came pre-installed as part of a system and could potentially have had OEM-installed data on it, or wiping them is simply the process the company follows for anything not coming in an actual sealed pack.

If there's no seal on the baggies, there's no harm in popping them in and checking out what the SMART data says about how long / much it's been used.

Carefully took it out of the wrap, this was the result:

ID Description RAW Normalized Thresh
0C Power Cycle Count 7 100 0 Ready for use.
09 Power-On Hours Count 22346 100 0 Ready for use.

Not new, 22k hours isn't super duper high, but that's not new.

EDIT Full readout from the SMART data:

05 Vendor Specific 0 98 0 Ready for use.
AA Available Reserved Space 0 100 10 Ready for use.
AB Program Fail Count 0 100 0 Ready for use.
AC Erase Fail Count 0 100 0 Ready for use.
AE Unexpected Power Loss Count 5 100 0 Ready for use.
AF Power Loss Protection Failure 575525749368 100 10 Ready for use.
Last Test Result 632 microseconds
Total Tests 134
Time Since Last Test 2 Minutes
B7 SATA Downshift Count 0 100 0 Ready for use.
B8 End-to-End Error Detection Count 0 100 90 Ready for use.
BB Uncorrectable Error Count 0 100 0 Ready for use.
BE Temperature 269287440 84 0 Ready for use.
Current Temperature 16 degree C
Lowest Temperature 13 degree C
Highest Temperature 16 degree C
Over Temperature Counter 0
C0 Unsafe Shutdown Count 5 100 0 Ready for use.
C2 Temperature - Device Internal 16 100 0 Ready for use.
C5 Pending Sector Count 0 100 0 Ready for use.
C7 CRC Error Count 0 100 0 Ready for use.
E1 Host Writes 32.00 MB 100 0 Ready for use.
E2 Timed Workload - Media Wear 0 100 0 Ready for use.
E3 Timed Workload - Host Read/Write Ratio 78 100 0 Ready for use.
E4 Timed Workload Timer 1340682 100 0 Ready for use.
E8 Available Reserved Space 0 100 10 Ready for use.
E9 Media Wearout Indicator 0 100 0 Ready for use.
EA Thermal Throttle Status 0 100 0 Ready for use.
Throttling Event Count 0
Throttle Status 0 %
F1 Total LBAs Written 32.00 MB 100 0 Ready for use.
F2 Total LBAs Read 64.00 MB 100 0 Ready for use.

The last value total LBA written and total LBA read, maybe the drive sat idle in a server for 22346 hours? Because that value is insanely low.

MasterOSkillio fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 3, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MasterOSkillio posted:

The last value total LBA written and total LBA read, maybe the drive sat idle in a server for 22346 hours? Because that value is insanely low.

Weird, but possible, yeah. That's close to 3 years power on time doing nothing. Then again, in a big enterprise...maybe. Last job I worked at we "discovered" about $1M worth of still-in-the-box Dell R7xx servers in a colo space that had sat there for long enough that the warranties were expiring.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I wonder if 22k hours is a misinterpretation by the program you used to fetch the smart data? Drive writes are often like that as well. But more importantly "E9 Media Wearout Indicator" on that drive says it's fresh. (0 100 0 is best, and the 100 slowly declines as the drive gets wear.)

Or maybe some IT flunky loaded a full drive rack with SSDs and then forgot to ever initialize them. Lol I wonder what % of the world's data centers are powered on and completely idle / blank because a guy set them up and flipped a switch, and that was it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Intel firmware bugs and all that but it’s probably more likely this was part of some massive infrastructure build out blitz that happened then sat idle forever because turns out they didn’t need it because the left hand doesnt talk to the right hand at that company

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Another possibility: hot RAID spares which never got used before the whole array was decommissioned

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would assume the drives were supplied in servers and then immediately pulled and replaced with a higher capacity drive because it's often cheaper to do that than pay Dell for the upgrade. The power on hours count looks too high to be accurate.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MasterOSkillio posted:

Carefully took it out of the wrap, this was the result:

ID Description RAW Normalized Thresh

Not new, 22k hours isn't super duper high, but that's not new.

EDIT Full readout from the SMART data:

05 Vendor Specific 0 98 0 Ready for use.
AA Available Reserved Space 0 100 10 Ready for use.
AB Program Fail Count 0 100 0 Ready for use.
AC Erase Fail Count 0 100 0 Ready for use.
AE Unexpected Power Loss Count 5 100 0 Ready for use.
AF Power Loss Protection Failure 575525749368 100 10 Ready for use.
Last Test Result 632 microseconds
Total Tests 134
Time Since Last Test 2 Minutes
B7 SATA Downshift Count 0 100 0 Ready for use.
B8 End-to-End Error Detection Count 0 100 90 Ready for use.
BB Uncorrectable Error Count 0 100 0 Ready for use.
BE Temperature 269287440 84 0 Ready for use.
Current Temperature 16 degree C
Lowest Temperature 13 degree C
Highest Temperature 16 degree C
Over Temperature Counter 0
C0 Unsafe Shutdown Count 5 100 0 Ready for use.
C2 Temperature - Device Internal 16 100 0 Ready for use.
C5 Pending Sector Count 0 100 0 Ready for use.
C7 CRC Error Count 0 100 0 Ready for use.
E1 Host Writes 32.00 MB 100 0 Ready for use.
E2 Timed Workload - Media Wear 0 100 0 Ready for use.
E3 Timed Workload - Host Read/Write Ratio 78 100 0 Ready for use.
E4 Timed Workload Timer 1340682 100 0 Ready for use.
E8 Available Reserved Space 0 100 10 Ready for use.
E9 Media Wearout Indicator 0 100 0 Ready for use.
EA Thermal Throttle Status 0 100 0 Ready for use.
Throttling Event Count 0
Throttle Status 0 %
F1 Total LBAs Written 32.00 MB 100 0 Ready for use.
F2 Total LBAs Read 64.00 MB 100 0 Ready for use.

Well they're definitely not new but I wouldn't be afraid to use them unless you wanted a warranty. I've got a couple of old server SSDs that are still 99% or higher on wear lifetime and perform well. Datacenter SSDs are often posted on the ServeTheHome great deals forum and most are older but still have a ton of life left.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rexxed posted:

Well they're definitely not new but I wouldn't be afraid to use them unless you wanted a warranty. I've got a couple of old server SSDs that are still 99% or higher on wear lifetime and perform well. Datacenter SSDs are often posted on the ServeTheHome great deals forum and most are older but still have a ton of life left.

Look at the writes before you call if they're new.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
So I have a question thats primarily SSD related but also a laptop upgrade, I figured it fitted best here.

I'm about to get a Razer Blade Pro, unfortunately it only comes with a 512GB NVMe so first thing I want to do is install a 1TB NVMe in the spare slot, I was thinking a WD Black. Luckily, the pro has an extra NVMe slot ready to go, so as far as I can see no problem.

The bit I don't understand is PCIe lanes. Someone mentioned that if I install a second drive, it might run slower in this second slot due to less lanes or something? I keep googling this lane stuff and it refuses to go into my brain. This is my first time dicking around with NVMe drives, I've stuck with SATA up until now so I find this confusing. Am I misunderstanding entirely?

The 1tb would primarily would be for game installs so I'm looking for the best performance out of that, and ideally eventual directstorage support if that indeed supports 3.0 drives, which no-one seems to know at the moment. Any thoughts?

If it makes any difference, the CPU is an Intel Core i7-10875H.

Any help would be appreciated.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only time you might notice even the slightest bit of performance degradation would be in the very unlikely and rare event that both drives would be asking for their full bandwidth at the same time, and even then, even if they were working at half their maximum speed, they'd still be performing better than SATA drives. The chipset knows how to allocate bandwidth.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 7, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RGX posted:

I'm about to get a Razer Blade Pro, unfortunately it only comes with a 512GB NVMe so first thing I want to do is install a 1TB NVMe in the spare slot, I was thinking a WD Black. Luckily, the pro has an extra NVMe slot ready to go, so as far as I can see no problem.

The bit I don't understand is PCIe lanes.

PCIe has varying numbers of lanes, if you're familiar with desktop stuff that's why a GPU (16x lanes) has a big fat connector and something like a sound card has a short one. More lanes = more bandwidth.

M.2 NMVe drives are just PCIe devices in a small form factor, and can have 2 or 4 lanes. Most drives have 4 lanes, some cheaper ones only have 2 lanes. There's no compatibility problem, PCIe auto-fits to whatever.

quote:

Someone mentioned that if I install a second drive, it might run slower in this second slot due to less lanes or something?
I can't find any easy or definitive specs on the thing that say whether the second slot only supports 2 lanes or 4. If it only does 2 lanes in the second slot, a drive will be limited to 50% of it's potential bandwidth.

The good news: right now, none of this poo poo really matters. Even a 2 lane NVMe drive outperforms SATA, and currently there aren't many application that get a ton of benefit from maximum NVMe speed. For games, I could blind install on a 2 lane or 4 lane drive and you'd never be able to guess which was which.

Alternately, people on the internet are just talking about whether the lanes attach directly to the CPU or the chipset. This is completely trivial. Like, you can measure the difference, but it's tiny.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Thanks, those replies are really helpful.

I'm pretty much being given this cool laptop (shame its not PCIe 4.0 but oh well), so basically if I'm going to upgrade it I want to make sure I'm putting the most optimised hardware I can in to give it the best shot of lasting me a while. I know, I know, no such thing as futureproofing etc but if I can make sure I'm not bottlenecking the drives, that might give it half a shot of being able to take advantage of any potential directstorage api trickery that might or might not support it in the next few years.

Is my logic sound there do you think? I know no-one knows whether directstorage will support 3.0 or not, but I've seen some encouraging stuff that it might, and that would be great. And if not? Hey ho, still got an awesome laptop.

Again, thankyou for the help, I knew you guys would make it clear for me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RGX posted:

that might give it half a shot of being able to take advantage of any potential directstorage api trickery that might or might not support it in the next few years.

Is my logic sound there do you think?

Nothing's gonna need it in the next few (if "few" is approx 3) years. The APIs for PC aren't even done yet, and a AAA game takes 2-3 years to make.

Also, nobody is going to make PC games that require NVMe caliber storage until the majority of the market has them. PC games are just barely starting to put "a SSD" in the recommended specs, not even the required. The sorts of things that will require DirectStorage are I think much more in the all or nothing category of support, not like for example raytracing where you can just not run the effect if the hardware doesn't support it. So IMO the transition is not gonna be fast.

tl;dr My bet is that by the time PCIe 4 is a required feature for PC games, the rest of a current PC will also need upgrades.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Klyith posted:

tl;dr My bet is that by the time PCIe 4 is a required feature for PC games, the rest of a current PC will also need upgrades.

Agreed. Not only that, there's a rather high chance that any sort of direct-SSD-GPU link ala DirectStorage is going to need SSDs designed to support it, so whatever you buy today may not even work with it in the first place. Even if it does work on existing hardware, it's not even intended to be in the hands of developers until sometime late this year, which means it won't even show up in games until sometime in 2022 at the earliest and even then it'll be acknowledged to be a special snowflake sort of deal where it's tacked on as a "if you can use it, great, you get some extra performance" and not any sort of actual "you need this to get a good experience" type deal. That wouldn't show up until you've got games actually designed around it, which would be like...2024? Maybe?

You can also rest assured that, thanks to Microsoft keeping with slower SSDs in the XBox, it's highly unlikely most games that end up on PC are going to be designed in such a way as to utilize the full potential of PCIe 4 SSD speeds in the first place.

So basically you can feel safe buying whatever and slapping it in there, because you will almost certainly never notice any performance difference between now and whenever you replace the laptop with something newer. The CPU/GPU are gonna age a lot faster than the storage will. I mean, assuming it even lasts that long--Razer is not known for their laptop longevity.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm looking at a 1TB 2.5" sata ssd drive for an old (slow, single drive) nas. From casually following this thread, there isn't much between the Crucial MX500 or WD Blue? The Crucial mentions the power loss capacitor. Is that a thing in the Blue? Other than that they're very similar? Anything else I should be looking at?

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

DrDork posted:

I mean, assuming it even lasts that long--Razer is not known for their laptop longevity.

Yeah, tbh I feel like a bit of a guinea pig here as I'd like it to last a few years at least and I use a laptop for everything, audio production, editing, rendering, gaming, home media center etc, this things going to get a real workout from me. On the plus side, I know a couple of people with pros who say they are much better made than everything else Razer makes and theirs are still going strong so I have hope.

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to stick as fast a PCIe 3.0 drive in there as it will take and hope for the best.

Lot of blind optimism coming from me here, whats that Blackadder quote? "If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flipperwaldt posted:

From casually following this thread, there isn't much between the Crucial MX500 or WD Blue? The Crucial mentions the power loss capacitor. Is that a thing in the Blue?

Every decent SSD has some amount of power loss capacitors, because if you cut power to the flash chips in the middle of the active write it can mess them up. Not having them would mean power loss could write over other data, or maybe even brick the drive. The MX500 might have an extra thorough number of them or something, but IMO it doesn't do anything particularly special here.

The MX500 does not have the much larger array of capacitors you'll see in enterprise drives, which insure that the drive can finish not just the active write, but all writes the OS may have queued to the drive when the power loss hit. (Visual example: this Micron 5100 with all the little + block caps, versus a MX500. Micron and Crucial are the same company.) Those are what you need to have complete data safety in the event of a power loss, if every bit that's potentially being written is important.

tldr Crucial mentioning "Power Loss Immunity" is mostly bunk, because it's not a true "Power Loss Protection" feature. It's in the advertising fluff but not on the spec list.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

IMO it doesn't do anything particularly special here.
Fair enough. Either drive would probably ok then, as they're more or less equivalent?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flipperwaldt posted:

Fair enough. Either drive would probably ok then, as they're more or less equivalent?

Yup, whichever one is cheaper at the time.

(If you're in the EU, note that the "SanDisk Ultra 3D" is the exact same thing as the WD Blue 3D, and may be a bit cheaper. Artifact of the WD-Sandisk merger.)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Klyith posted:

Yup, whichever one is cheaper at the time.

(If you're in the EU, note that the "SanDisk Ultra 3D" is the exact same thing as the WD Blue 3D, and may be a bit cheaper. Artifact of the WD-Sandisk merger.)
I looked at it, but prices go from Crucial MX500 (89) < Samsung 860 EVO (95) < WD Blue (99) < SanDisk Ultra 3D (110) < Samsung 870 EVO (115) on amazon.nl

Crucial seems fine then for what I need. Thanks!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

That's some cursed poo poo.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My 3.84TB Samsung PM983 M.2 pcie3 ssd has been working fine. No problems. The advertised endurance is 5400TBW so it should take a while to get there with my regular desktop usage.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pour one out for 3dxp

quote:

In addition, Micron has now determined that there is insufficient market validation to justify the ongoing high levels of investments required to successfully commercialize 3D XPoint at scale to address the evolving memory and storage needs of its customers. Micron’s portfolio changes do not impact the company’s overall technology investment levels as its focus on emerging memory solutions remains unchanged. Micron plans to apply the knowledge it has gained from the breakthroughs achieved through its 3D XPoint initiative, as well as related engineering expertise and resources, to new types of memory-centric products that target the memory-storage hierarchy.

In line with this new strategic focus, Micron is engaged in discussions for the sale of its Lehi, Utah, fab currently dedicated to 3D XPoint production. The company aims to reach a sale agreement within calendar year 2021.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

drat shame, it's a good technology

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I'm guessing they're selling the plant to Intel? iirc Intel seemed more committed to 3DXP

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It’s kind of hilarious since Micron decided to put on their big boy pants and buy out Intel and now a few years later are just bailing out completely with having all of jack poo poo to show for that decision

Meanwhile Intel had to scramble and try and get their own fab spun up to eventually take over for them which directly contributed to the financial struggles of NSG. That probably didn’t help their image when Intel decided to punt half the department or Optanes reputation as a money sink that won’t pay off.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just wish Optane wasn't so expensive. If it actually competed $ to $ for regular nand flash it would be a much better product. I would love a 1TB Optane drive in my PC, but at almost $2000 vs $200 for a 2TB SSD it doesn't make financial sense for a storage standpoint. To be 20 times more expensive ($100 for 1TB) than your competitors just doesn't make sense unless you want to sing around your big PCMR epeen.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You can preorder the p5800x 1.6TB for only $3600. Think of the IOPS

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=01300000U0189_B8WA939P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

zhar
May 3, 2019

I shucked a portable drive to use internally and it comes formatted as exfat. I'm tempted to leave it in case I ever want to pop it out and use on a different system or tv (it's to store video files), but is there a big advantage formatting as ntfs as it will be in my windows system almost all the time? It's not an ssd by the way but there isn't an hdd thread.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

zhar posted:

I shucked a portable drive to use internally and it comes formatted as exfat. I'm tempted to leave it in case I ever want to pop it out and use on a different system or tv (it's to store video files), but is there a big advantage formatting as ntfs as it will be in my windows system almost all the time? It's not an ssd by the way but there isn't an hdd thread.

The biggest miss for using exFAT on a drive is that, due to a lack of journaling, if it loses power during use it's more likely to suffer data corruption than NTFS is. It also does not support much in the way of file permissions, so if that's something you want, NTFS is the way to go. NTFS is also (generally) faster, though not by a night-and-day amount, especially on a spinning HDD.

Many other computer OSes can read NTFS these days, but if you want to be able to slap it into a TV for video you're likely going to need to keep it as exFAT.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fat is loving upsetting for mass system deployment for that very lack of journaling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I converted my shucks to NTFS in order to do Storage Spaces in winders. It is actually pretty useful for non Serious Business NAS work. Storage Spaces will convert em for you when you set them up too.

The combo digital hoarder NAS + home server + seed box + HTPC is a cool investment/toy if you don't already have a Synology or somethin.