Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jerusalem posted:

I think we might have had this conversation before, but what IS Randy Orton's best match? Vs. Mick Foley waaaaaay loving back in like 2004?

I think that match was his best. He gave a lot of himself and took damage. After then he's just sleepy man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://mobile.twitter.com/JimValley/status/1366766786914385920

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
*said with a rising inflection because I’m not sure what’s going on* get his rear end Jim???

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

JOHN CENA posted:

vs edge the week after hbk vs cena in uk

gently caress that was a good match, along with the hour long match the week before and 4 way at Backlash, like the best loving week WWE had ever

I believe this was also when Vince was ECW champion in his doorag

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Orton match that always stands out is the one vs HBK from a Survivor Series where Sweet Chin Music was banned.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Orton vs. Edge was absolutely a great match when they did it and stupidly named it the greatest match ever. It was a killer match sandbagged by no crowd and that horrible tagline but I thought it was one of the best worked WWE main events of the 2010-2020 decade.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I would say the WM 31 match was good but I'm a mark who only remembers the Curbstomp-RKO finish

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Orton and Rey had some really good matches

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I just realized that Bryan guaranteeing that by the time he turns 46, both NXT and AEW would be doing better and then winking was him alluding to NXT moving to Tuesday

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Randy Orton has always struck me as the platonic ideal of good but not great. Put him with someone who's great and you'll get something good to great out of it, put him with someone average to bad and you'll get something average out of it.

Of course, with the continuing decline of the overall quality of WWE this also means that he's only gotten worse and worse as time goes on.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Cerebral Bore posted:

Randy Orton has always struck me as the platonic ideal of good but not great. Put him with someone who's great and you'll get something good to great out of it, put him with someone average to bad and you'll get something average out of it.

Of course, with the continuing decline of the overall quality of WWE this also means that he's only gotten worse and worse as time goes on.

I'm at the point at which Orton just won his first title in my rewatch (and then had his reign chopped off at the knees for lolHHHwins). He would never have been as good, but from a positioning standpoint, I can't help but feel that a motivated Orton should have been the Okada of WWE, given his youth, lineage, and smoothness. I've heard that he was a real rear end in a top hat behind the scenes and I know that he had problems with drug suspensions, but I can't help but wonder, if he was in a more supportive and healthy environment where he wasn't constantly undermined at first, if he couldn't have been something really special.

Smoothness isn't always exciting for fans, but a guy capable of being that smooth, and pretty much capable of doing any move that anyone would have been doing in 2004-X WWE, should have been able to grow instead of get worse. I've heard people like Bryan, iirc, saying that he is their favorite guy to wrestle. There has to be something to that beyond mere smoothness. I feel like, in an alternate universe where WWE wasn't a hosed up and idiotic environment, he could have been among the top 10-20 of all time.

(Okada is the top 1 of all time, imo, tbh.(I know, a very uncommon opinion.))

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As I've heard it he's most everybody's favorite guy to wrestle because he's not gonna hurt you ever and he's not gonna make you look bad and thus get you in trouble with Vince.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Cerebral Bore posted:

As I've heard it he's most everybody's favorite guy to wrestle because he's not gonna hurt you ever and he's not gonna make you look bad and thus get you in trouble with Vince.
Which should be Cesaro's spot by now if WWE ever cycled people out, but they've made little to no effort in actually elevating anyone because Vince is terrified someone might get famous and leave again.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If a guy has been wrestling for nearly 20 years, consistently pushed at the top of the card for the biggest wrestling company on Earth, and the best things people can say about him are "he's smooth" or "he's never out of place" or "other wrestlers like working him because he's safe and unambitious" or "sometimes he's good when he gives a poo poo, which isn't very often," then at some point you have to call a spade a spade -- he's not actually good. Notice how nobody ever talks about his legendary matches or his God-tier crowd pops or his huge business numbers, all things that Cena can claim even at the height of his backlash. Because when it comes to Orton, there is no "there" there -- it's always the same tired excuses from people who don't want to admit he peaked in 2004.

Randy Orton is a bust and it's time we stopped claiming otherwise. Probably the most overrated "WWE Superstar" in history.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Cerebral Bore posted:

That makes sense.

It's sometimes more noticeable than it possibly should be, but I have been witness to his eternal and sometimes comical battle with inanimate objects, and he seems to be more careful than anyone else to get poo poo out of the way before someone falls on it and hurts themselves. That's one thing, but it's an important one.

I'm sure that others have pointed it out, but I imagine that his carefulness is why he has been in most of Edge's matches, much like HHH was Shawn Michael's return match, because SM knew that he would be taken care of safely.

He had a really amazing presence back in 2004 for someone so young. The lanky/buff look was less common back then, but aside from that, dude just looked like the dictionary definition of main event wrestler.

(and this is coming from someone who, before this rewatch, though that I was not a fan at all)

---

Benne posted:

it's always the same tired excuses from people who don't want to admit he peaked in 2004.

You may be right. It sure seemed like something was there in 2004, but it's been 17 years. It will be interesting to see how/if he seems to decline going forward from that point.

I still think that his first run should have been longer, though.

---

Currently Watching: Chris Hero vs Super Dragon (boy Hero could fly much better than guys his size were usually able to back then...it's like a bumblebee looking as if they are defying physics with their flying style, even before he got bigger)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Which should be Cesaro's spot by now if WWE ever cycled people out, but they've made little to no effort in actually elevating anyone because Vince is terrified someone might get famous and leave again.

Isn't the rep on Claudio Castagnoli/Cesaro that wrestling him is actually super tiring. I seem to remember multiple people saying that and not just like a single Chuck Taylor interview.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Benne posted:

If a guy has been wrestling for nearly 20 years, consistently pushed at the top of the card for the biggest wrestling company on Earth, and the best things people can say about him are "he's smooth" or "he's never out of place" or "other wrestlers like working him because he's safe and unambitious" or "sometimes he's good when he gives a poo poo, which isn't very often," then at some point you have to call a spade a spade -- he's not actually good. Notice how nobody ever talks about his legendary matches or his God-tier crowd pops or his huge business numbers, all things that Cena can claim even at the height of his backlash. Because when it comes to Orton, there is no "there" there -- it's always the same tired excuses from people who don't want to admit he peaked in 2004.

Randy Orton is a bust and it's time we stopped claiming otherwise. Probably the most overrated "WWE Superstar" in history.

This is a good encapsulation imo

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

As far as matches of his that I enjoyed go:

The Mania 2014 Daniel Bryan Triple Threat (Though, how could one not?)
Backlash 04 vs Foley
His 4 way with The Shield at Payback 2015
Summerslam and Raw Vs Benoit

So, poo poo yeah, that's not a ton that springs to mind. And, there's a pretty obvious theme in those matches, in that every single person in every one of them (with the exception of Batista) has had far more great matches.

So yeah, while I like him in 2004, he's got to be considered pretty weak for a 13 <?> time champion.

I still think that he could have been more, but I have no idea how much more. He clearly didn't care to find out either.

---

On another forum, there was a big debate over whether "doing as little as he has to" as safely as he can doesn't actually make him a better wrestler than people who do more because he has gotten more from less. If I was Vince McMahon or Randy Orton was an accountant, I might agree, but as a fan, while I don't want guys to hurt themselves, I define a good wrestler by how much they entertain people (and, most importantly to me, how much they entertain me), and he hasn't been very entertaining since I started watching modern wrestling again around 2012/2013.

(As an aside, I am intrigued to see when his character becomes the guy with voices in his head during my rewatch. It's a niche that he obviously likes, but I always felt that he was pretty banal in that role. I have been able to buy that he is a sadistic soulless sociopathic dude, but he seems far too methodical and monotone to pull off being insane. I think that taking on that role hindered his potential as he became a less dynamic personality.)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Orton always looks bored. Even when he pretends to be angry he looks bored. Aside from a few notable examples I think it's easy to say that Orton does not give a poo poo. He just looks like what Vince thinks a wrestler should look like.

Foley match was his best, IMO. His work with Evolution vs The Shield was amazing, but he was 1 of 6 making that happen.

I loved the Bryan Mania match for obvious reasons, but I couldn't tell you a single thing Orton did in that match.

Shocking I have more memories of The Miz doing stuff than Orton. Like I remember when Orton flipped out at Kofi for being out of position for a spot, Orton accidentally putting his foot through the monitor hole in the announcing table, and the time he inexplicably did a high jump and touched his toes.

Oh and when he started feuding with a 5 foot girl who throws fire in his face and makes him cough up goo. Which honestly is the best stuff I've seen him do since the Foley match.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cerebral Bore posted:

offer not valid for kofi

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Benne posted:

this. the people that wanted to see him in AEW were baffling to me

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

100% of Randy’s shortcomings would be solved by bringing back Burn In My Light

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

1glitch0 posted:

Orton always looks bored. Even when he pretends to be angry he looks bored. Aside from a few notable examples I think it's easy to say that Orton does not give a poo poo. He just looks like what Vince thinks a wrestler should look like.

Foley match was his best, IMO. His work with Evolution vs The Shield was amazing, but he was 1 of 6 making that happen.

I loved the Bryan Mania match for obvious reasons, but I couldn't tell you a single thing Orton did in that match.

Shocking I have more memories of The Miz doing stuff than Orton. Like I remember when Orton flipped out at Kofi for being out of position for a spot, Orton accidentally putting his foot through the monitor hole in the announcing table, and the time he inexplicably did a high jump and touched his toes.

Oh and when he started feuding with a 5 foot girl who throws fire in his face and makes him cough up goo. Which honestly is the best stuff I've seen him do since the Foley match.

I don't know if you're being ironic about the funny goo (and I may not know if I am being ironic sometimes when it comes to things related to The Fiend either, for that matter), but the Funhouse match with Cena was my favorite "match" of all time, and I am hoping that this all leads to one, since I sure as hell don't need to see Bray or 2021 Orton in a regular rear end match. (In the leadup to a Funhouse match at Mania, I would also be glad to see Orton Vs Orton (whether it's weird cut shots and body doubles or like the Fight Club boss scene) or Orton Vs Bray's invisible Fiend spirit.) I really enjoyed Orton cutting a promo on Orton on Monday. It was dumb as gently caress, but dumb as gently caress in a way that is much better than normal boring and tedious Raw promos and matches.

---

I tend to like "different" poo poo and, on a completely different subject, since Sammy and especially Ricky were way less of a big deal when it happened, everyone should see their match against the Broom and Mop from Sammy's vlog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcjBflVkpTs

---

As for the Mania 3 way, didn't Orton (ironically) get dropped on a monitor and spend much of the match laying there afterwards? Dude trusted someone else to remove something once, and look where it got him.

---

I forgot The Shield vs Evo matches. Those were great. I find what joy I can in what I watch, be it ironic or otherwise, but that was the last period where I somewhat trusted WWE to go in the right direction. I didn't know Bryan was going to be out for so long, it seemed like they were pushing Cesaro which seemed important at the time, Aj Lee had had an amazing run, HHH was actually losing at the right time when it seemed important, NXT was new and shiny ,The Shield looked like they were going to be the future, and I expected Ambrose to get a giant push to the world title when they broke up. They were still Evil Corp, but things seemed OK.

I maintained enthusiasm for awhile, but they jobbed Ambrose, who was the last guy who I thought had potential to be a "the guy" that I wanted out at nearly a dozen straight PPVs, and they've never gotten back to that level, at least for me. In many ways, it seems like Bryan winning was the end of the last mostly good season of WWE and those Evolution matches were the coda. With Seth turning as "plan b", they fell from their most recent mini-peak and haven't had one since. I ultimately gave up on expecting them to try to do the right thing for their fans at the nadir of Ambrose's jobbing spree as they continually intentionally stopped his momentum to try to avoid his popularity hurting Roman. Once I knew they were never going to get behind Ambrose, I just stopped caring in the same way. They've had good moments and good matches since then, but nothing that I could care about like I've cared about AEW and NJPW. Had they actually pushed Ambrose to the moon, I would probably have never bothered branching out and watching NJPW.

---

Back on the original subject of Orton, it's pretty weird seeing him try to do the WWE top guy comedy that only really worked for Rock and Cena that Vince insisted upon, and doing this bad impression of HHH in 2004:

---

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think that was predicated upon the notion that he would try, which also baffled me, as to why people would think he wouldn't act like Booker T or RVD in TNA taking a vacation.

collocation fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 3, 2021

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I watched Tyler Black in ROH and always thought that WWE is where he would do the best because he had "something", but not something I liked or wanted. I got a very sports entertainment vibe from him. And then he went to WWE and he's not done bad.

Orton is kinda the same thing. Orton belongs in WWE. He has that WWE look and is generally reliable to give the type of match they like. It's tough to imagine him being in AEW or New Japan. He didn't give a poo poo when he was 25 or 30. He certainly doesn't give a poo poo at 40. And pretty much everyone in AEW gives a poo poo. He has a great look, a good entrance song people pop for, and the RKO. Aside from that... I dunno.

I understand why other wrestlers like working with him. I think even I could have a passable match with him within 20 minutes notice. There's the lock up, he does some safe moves, I do some safe moves, he gets me in a headlock, eventually I'm thrown out of the ring and get the DDT off the second rope and then get kicked in the head or take the RKO and bam I'm chilling at the Waffle House by 10pm. Not a bad day at work.That doesn't mean he is entertaining.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

collocation posted:

I don't know if you're being ironic about the funny goo (and I may not know if I am being ironic sometimes when it comes to things related to The Fiend either, for that matter), but the Funhouse match with Cena was my favorite "match" of all time, and I am hoping that this all leads to one, since I sure as hell don't need to see Bray or 2021 Orton in a regular rear end match. (In the leadup to a Funhouse match at Mania, I would also be glad to see Orton Vs Orton (whether it's weird cut shots and body doubles or like the Fight Club boss scene) or Orton Vs Bray's invisible Fiend spirit.) I really enjoyed Orton cutting a promo on Orton on Monday. It was dumb as gently caress, but dumb as gently caress in a way that is much better than normal boring and tedious Raw promos and matches.

---

I tend to like "different" poo poo and, on a completely different subject, since Sammy and especially Ricky were way less of a big deal when it happened, everyone should see their match against the Broom and Mop from Sammy's vlog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcjBflVkpTs

---

As for the Mania 3 way, didn't Orton (ironically) get dropped on a monitor and spend much of the match laying there afterwards? Dude trusted someone else to remove something once, and look where it got him.

---

I forgot The Shield vs Evo matches. Those were great. I find what joy I can in what I watch, be it ironic or otherwise, but that was the last period where I somewhat trusted WWE to go in the right direction. I didn't know Bryan was going to be out for so long, it seemed like they were pushing Cesaro which seemed important at the time, Aj Lee had had an amazing run, HHH was actually losing at the right time when it seemed important, NXT was new and shiny ,The Shield looked like they were going to be the future, and I expected Ambrose to get a giant push to the world title when they broke up. They were still Evil Corp, but things seemed OK.

I maintained enthusiasm for awhile, but they jobbed Ambrose, who was the last guy who I thought had potential to be a "the guy" that I wanted out at nearly a dozen straight PPVs, and they've never gotten back to that level, at least for me. In many ways, it seems like Bryan winning was the end of the last mostly good season of WWE and those Evolution matches were the coda. With Seth turning as "plan b", they fell from their most recent mini-peak and haven't had one since. I ultimately gave up on expecting them to try to do the right thing for their fans at the nadir of Ambrose's jobbing spree as they continually intentionally stopped his momentum to try to avoid his popularity hurting Roman. Once I knew they were never going to get behind Ambrose, I just stopped caring in the same way. They've had good moments and good matches since then, but nothing that I could care about like I've cared about AEW and NJPW. Had they actually pushed Ambrose to the moon, I would probably have never bothered branching out and watching NJPW.

---

Back on the original subject of Orton, it's pretty weird seeing him try to do the WWE top guy comedy that only really worked for Rock and Cena that Vince insisted upon, and doing this bad impression of HHH in 2004:

---

I think that was predicated upon the notion that he would try, which also baffled me, as to why people would think he wouldn't act like Booker T or RVD in TNA taking a vacation.

I'm totally not being ironic. I love the weird supernatural stuff. I know it's not for everyone, but I love it. I loved Undertaker vs. Undertaker and would love to see Randy vs. Randy although I don't know how you could pull that off without a LOT of work and obviously no live crowd. But the story is fun. But I also think Wyatt and Alexa Bliss is the best thing in WWE right now so I'm clearly not with general consensus.

And you're right about him trying. He would not try. I mean aside from the Foley match I don't know if I've ever seen him try as much as he has against the henchwoman of The Fiend, who hasn't been seen for months. At this point I'd rather see Randy vs Bliss at Wrestlemania.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

1glitch0 posted:

I'm totally not being ironic. I love the weird supernatural stuff. I know it's not for everyone, but I love it. I loved Undertaker vs. Undertaker and would love to see Randy vs. Randy although I don't know how you could pull that off without a LOT of work and obviously no live crowd. But the story is fun. But I also think Wyatt and Alexa Bliss is the best thing in WWE right now so I'm clearly not with general consensus.

And you're right about him trying. He would not try. I mean aside from the Foley match I don't know if I've ever seen him try as much as he has against the henchwoman of The Fiend, who hasn't been seen for months. At this point I'd rather see Randy vs Bliss at Wrestlemania.

I think his methodical nature would make him one of the only guys who could possibly pull off a match where he wrestled himself. Provided they were willing to find a body double and paint the tattoos on, I could totally see him being willing to sit there for a day and film himself performing and taking each of his moves in a very safe and slow manner. If he could get Dunn behind it, I could imagine him acting like he was trying to get an Oscar with all the necessary weird angles. I've watched General Hospital (and One Life to Live before it got cancelled) since I was a kid, though, so I'm pretty used to that kind of twin magic. It's obviously easier on those shows because they rarely get physical, but a twin storyline where an actor or actress is cutting promos on themselves is always fun.

In wrestling, I can go either way with weird supernatural stuff. Some people seem to mind when stuff gets cheesy or campy, but wrestling itself is such a campy genre that it doesn't bug me. I usually like it best when they go full on over the top and get weird. Plus, having seen the normal style of match so many times over the last 30+ years, I am able to get the most into matches when they're either the (uhm) apex of the genre like Okada Vs Omega, or when they're something entirely new like a match against inanimate objects.

In a perfect world, in which intergender wasn't something that major companies feel the need to avoid, Bliss Vs Orton would be great. She has an invincible gimmick when she gets possessed, so it wouldn't have to be like LU style intergender where the guy spends most of the match uncomfortably stomping the woman who he is wrestling. Instead, since they have a logical (within kayfabe) reason for her to be the physically dominant one, they could go in the other direction and have him bump like a pinball for her due to her superhuman strength, while he tries to figure out cerebral and tactical ways to get around the fact that she is able to throw him around like The Big Show could throw around Mysterio. It'd get panned by many, but it could be fun as hell.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Randy Orton should be in the Hall of Fame because of "Ring the bell?! It's No DQ! There's no /bell/ to ring!"

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

he's really good

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So, how's the value of a WON/F4W subscription? I've been considering subscribing for a few months as I enjoy all of the free clips on Youtube, but I'm not sure if the additional content is worthwhile given the high volume of what's already out there for free. Their site also does a piss-poor job of selling the product as, well, it looks like a site I could have tossed together 15 or 20 years ago. The subscription page doesn't even tout the perks - it just gives you the lump-sum payout to subscribe which, frankly, is a lot to pay sight unseen.

Any subscribers out there want to give me a better pitch than Bryan or Dave seem to be willing to provide?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

So, how's the value of a WON/F4W subscription? I've been considering subscribing for a few months as I enjoy all of the free clips on Youtube, but I'm not sure if the additional content is worthwhile given the high volume of what's already out there for free. Their site also does a piss-poor job of selling the product as, well, it looks like a site I could have tossed together 15 or 20 years ago. The subscription page doesn't even tout the perks - it just gives you the lump-sum payout to subscribe which, frankly, is a lot to pay sight unseen.

Any subscribers out there want to give me a better pitch than Bryan or Dave seem to be willing to provide?

I listen to a podcast basically every day and that's just WOR and the B&V shows.

e: for a bit more of a pitch, I get way more out of my WON/F4W subscription than Netflix.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

I subscribed finally this year because WFH expanded my need for podcast hours in the day and I’ve enjoyed it so much I’m keeping it even when I go back to the office.

WOR and WOL alone are worth it imho.

If you’re not a podcast person though don’t bother.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

So, how's the value of a WON/F4W subscription?

I would say as far as podcast subscriptions go, you get a lot for your money. You get a load of podcasts for what worked out at about €8 a month.
I listen to them nearly every day at the moment. I used to just listen to WOR because I like Dave the most but not the other dudes but I've been checking out their stuff lately as well, it's not bad.
I don't read the newsletter or use the boards or anything, just use the podcasts. The first year I was subbed I only listened to WOR and even then I still got my money's worth, there's usually 3 or 4 eps of WOR a week so like between 16-20 podcasts of WOR alone a month. That for me is well worth it but you could always do a 1 month sub and see what you think.

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you’re not a podcast person though don’t bother.

For sure

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I would say as far as podcast subscriptions go, you get a lot for your money. You get a load of podcasts for what worked out at about €8 a month.
I listen to them nearly every day at the moment. I used to just listen to WOR because I like Dave the most but not the other dudes but I've been checking out their stuff lately as well, it's not bad.

I'm definitely a podcast guy - almost too many between various forms of entertainment and sports, but I'm finding some of my interest in the NBA and movie podcasts I listen to winding down a bit recently and am thinking I wouldn't mind replacing those minutes with listening to Bryan and Dave banter at each other, which Youtube has shown me is a pretty enjoyable thing. Mostly just interested for AEW content but I've dug a few of the WWE rewatch segments besides.

I may just break down and give it a go for three months and see where we're at after that. If nothing else, all the free Youtube clips I've already watched have been worth $33.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

bryan is so funny it's worth it just for him and his really stupid sense of humor

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i was dying laughing at him puking red in the gym parking lot

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I can't stand listening to Dave anymore. As I've gotten older I seem to have gotten much less patient. His rambling just irritates me so so much. And his stupid arguments that go nowhere.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I think we might have had this conversation before, but what IS Randy Orton's best match? Vs. Mick Foley waaaaaay loving back in like 2004?

I'm having a look at profightdb's list of Meltz stars

In his first couple of years after making the main roster, he's consistently hanging around the 3.5~4.5 stars area.

They start listing his matches from 2003 onwards (it looks like his OVW work hasn't been rated and I'm not sure how widely available it is, and I can't recall if he had any matches in 2002 prior to busting up his shoulder).

So here are the 3.5 or higher matches, according to Meltz's ratings (Note: I've ignored Royal Rumbles MITB and Elimination Chamber matches)

Randy Orton v. Shawn Michaels (Unforgiven) - 3.5
Team Bischoff v. Team Austin (Survivor Series) - 4.25 - I know this is a multi-man, but as I recall, Orton was a major part of this match.

Evolution v. Rock 'n' Sock Connection (WrestleMania XX) - 3.75
Evolution v. Benoit, Foley, HBK and Shelton Benjamin (RAW, 12/4) - 4
Randy Orton v. Cactus Jack (Backlash) - 4.5
Batista and Orton v. Benoit and Edge (Raw, 17/5) - 4
Randy Orton v. Chris Jericho (Raw, 5/7) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Edge (Vengeance) - 4.25
Randy Orton v. Edge (Raw, 19/7) - 4
Batista, Orton and Flair v. Benoit, Jericho and Edge (Raw, 2/8) - 4.25
Randy Orton v. Chris Benoit (SummerSlam) - 4.25
Randy Orton v. Chris Benoit (Raw, 16/8)
Benoit, Orton and Benjamin v. Batista, Flair and HHH (Raw, 20/9) - 3.75
Randy Orton v. Ric Flair (Taboo Tuesday) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Edge (Raw, 13/12)

Randy Orton v. HHH (Raw, 3/1) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Ric Flair (Raw, 24/1) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Christian (Raw, 14/2) - 3.5
Randy Orton and Shawn Michaels v. Chris Jericho and Christian (Raw, 21/2) - 4
Randy Orton v. Undertaker (WrestleMania 21) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Undertaker (Armageddon) - 3.75
Randy Orton v. Chris Benoit (Smackdown, 27/12) - 3.5

Randy Orton v. Chris Benoit (Smackdown, 10/1) - 3.75
Randy Orton v. Chris Benoit (Smackdown, 24/1) - 3.75
Randy Orton v. Rey Mysterio v. Kurt Angle (WrestleMania 22) - 3.5 - seems a tad too high, IMO. I remember it felt like a much better match that got cut short
Randy Orton v. Rey Mysterio (Smackdown, 4/4) - 3.75

Rated RKO v. DX (New Year's Revolution) - 3.75
\Randy Orton v. Edge v. John Cena v. Shawn Michaels (Backlash) - 4.5
Randy Orton v. Edge (Raw, 30/4) - 4.25
Randy Orton v. John Cena v. King Booker v. Bobby Lashley v. Mick Foley (Vengeance: Night of Champions) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. John Cena (SummerSlam) - 4
Randy Orton v. Triple H (Match 2, No Mercy) - 4.25
Randy Orton v. Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Chris Jericho (Armageddon) - 3.5

Randy Orton v. John Cena v. Triple H (WrestleMania XXIV) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Triple H v. JBL v. John Cena (Backlash) - 3.5

Randy Orton v. Shane McMahon (No Way Out) - 3.5
Legacy v. Batista, Shane and Triple H (Backlash) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. John Cena v. Big Show v. Triple H (Raw, 15/6) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. John Cena (Breaking Point) - 4.25
Randy Orton v. John Cena (Hell in a Cell) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. John Cena (Bragging Rights) - 3.5

Randy Orton v. Chris Jericho v. Edge (Raw, 19/7) - 4
Randy Orton v. Chris Jericho v. Edge v. John Cena v. Sheamus v. Wade Barrett (Night of Champions) - 3.5

Randy Orton v. CM Punk (Extreme Rules) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Christian (Over the Limit) - 4.25
Randy Orton v. Christian (Capitol Punishment) - 3.75
Randy Orton v. Christian (Money in the Bank) - 3.75
Randy Orton v. Christian (SummerSlam) - 4
Randy Orton v. Dolph Ziggler (Smackdown, 25/10) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Cody Rhodes (Smackdown, 1/11) - 3.75
Randy Orton v. Daniel Bryan v. Cody Rhodes v. Wade Barrett (Smackdown, 22/11) - 3.75

Randy Orton v. Sheamus v. Alberto Del Rio v. Chris Jericho (Over the Limit) - 3.75
Randy Orton v. Dolph Ziggler (Night of Champions) - 3.75

Randy Orton and Daniel Bryan v. Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins (Payback) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Daniel Bryan (Night of Champions) - 3.75
Randy Orton v. Daniel Bryan (Hell in a Cell) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Daniel Bryan (Raw, 16/12) - 4

Randy Orton v. Daniel Bryan (Raw, 3/2) - 4
Randy Orton v. John Cena (Raw, 10/2) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Cesaro (Smackdown, 11/2) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Batista v. Daniel Bryan (WrestleMania XXX) - 4.5
Evolution v. The Shield (Extreme Rules) - 4.5
Evolution v. The Shield (Payback) - 4
Randy Orton v. Roman Reigns (SummerSlam) - 4
Randy Orton v. Chris Jericho (Night of Champions) - 4
Randy Orton v. John Cena (Hell in a Cell) - 3.75

Randy Orton v. Seth Rollins (WrestleMania 31) - 4
Randy Orton v. Seth Rollins v. Dean Ambrose v. Roman Reigns (Payback) - 3.75
Randy Orton v. Sheamus (Battleground) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Kevin Owens v. Cesaro (Raw, 10/8) - 4.25
Randy Orton v. Seth Rollins (Raw, 10/8) - 3.5

Randy Orton v. Luke Harper (RIP) (Elimination Chamber) - 3.75
Randy Orton v. AJ Styles (Smackdown, 7/5) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Jinder Mahal (Money in the Bank) - 3.5

Randy Orton v. Bobby Roode (Fastlane) - 3.5
Randy Orton v. Jeff Hardy (Hell in a Cell) - 3.75

Randy Orton v. Drew McIntyre (SummerSlam) - 4.25
Randy Orton v. Drew McIntyre (Clash of Champions) - 4
Randy Orton v. Drew McIntyre (Hell in a Cell) - 4.25
Randy Orton v. Drew McIntyre (Raw, 16/11) - 4

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i'm a pain slut for dave's agonising sentence structures

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i wear a collar that emits fire alarm bleeps and stop-watch alerts at random intervals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Vagabundo posted:

Randy Orton

I wear a hood when watching Orton matches to hide my shame from God