Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Holy poo poo, thanks thread for letting me know I could still hop off SERO and onto SWAC as late as last month.

I just got my first new monthly bill of $35 and am really enjoying my free Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.

Blakkout posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks thread for letting me know I could still hop off SERO and onto SWAC as late as last month.

I just got my first new monthly bill of $35 and am really enjoying my free Hulu.

drat, that sounds nice compared to my Unlimited Basic plan. I know nothing about it though, is there any path to get on SWAC for me at this point?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Pedialyte posted:

drat, that sounds nice compared to my Unlimited Basic plan. I know nothing about it though, is there any path to get on SWAC for me at this point?

I had been off sero for awhile but my account was still flagged as an employee account and when I called in for an unrelated issue they advised me to do the mitigation on the website. And it went through.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.

RodShaft posted:

I had been off sero for awhile but my account was still flagged as an employee account and when I called in for an unrelated issue they advised me to do the mitigation on the website. And it went through.

Glad to hear it, I was never on SERO though either. Just learned this was even a thing you could do. I am assuming I am out of luck but would love to hear otherwise.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Pedialyte posted:

Glad to hear it, I was never on SERO though either. Just learned this was even a thing you could do. I am assuming I am out of luck but would love to hear otherwise.

Just try it, that's how I originally got on mine.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

thisdude23 posted:

Just try it, that's how I originally got on mine.

That's wild. I just submitted my info. Thanks

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
$2 dunkin card today :shrug: If you add em all up its a p dece deal

Also you can go spin a prize wheel to win $0.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

Sprint support is asking me for a CID number - any options here or am I out of luck?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Pedialyte posted:

Sprint support is asking me for a CID number - any options here or am I out of luck?

Do they mean ICCID? If so that's listed in your device info and also printed on your sim card.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nimper posted:

Do they mean ICCID? If so that's listed in your device info and also printed on your sim card.

No, you need a valid employee ID number bit to be put on an employee referral type plan. OP, you're out of luck unless you know a Sprint employee, and even then it might be iffy trying to get on SWAC at this point.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
SWAC is dead. It was discontinued back in early August 2020. Employees can no longer invite new friends/family to join SWAC. Current SWAC customers have no impact and can continue to manage their account as they normally would. The form to invite customers to join SWAC was supposed to be taken down but lol merger so you may still see it out there but it won't get you anywhere, unfortunately.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Maybe you can call in to support and bribe them with some $2 coupon codes for Dunkin Donuts for a backdoor swac account.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I deleted the T-Mobile Tuesdays app. Nothing came up worth a drat and it was just overall annoying more than anything. Sprint Rewards was immensely better but oh well.

Also if anyone else noticed, the Sprint Voicemail is no more and now we have I guess T-Mobiles voicemail. The artificial voice is terrible in comparison, but seems to say less to make interacting with it quicker at least. Not a big thing for those that have Visual Voicemail on their phones I guess, but being as I have a Pixel 2XL still bought from Google directly, I've always had to call my VM to get it. :/

At least post merger coverage has been pretty good overall.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Don't do it dude! Hang in there till they release the T-Mobile toilet roll dispenser (while supplies last).

I am not using the tmobile sim card.. it's sitting on my desk. I can force my phone into using tmobile signals just fine with my sprint sim. I will say Tmobile around me is 40MB down and 20 MB up. It's pretty nice balance. Sprint is 80MB down and 2-5MB up and that leads to weird behavior with the upstream being so choked.

I get better pings if I use tmobile signal when I tether to my phone too.

The Samsung S9 is a great phone. I've had it 2 years and I'll have it a lot longer, there's no reason for me to upgrade.

Stubborn sprint user and I'm not gonna be chang'n!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

moolchaba posted:

Don't do it dude! Hang in there till they release the T-Mobile toilet roll dispenser (while supplies last).

I am not using the tmobile sim card.. it's sitting on my desk. I can force my phone into using tmobile signals just fine with my sprint sim. I will say Tmobile around me is 40MB down and 20 MB up. It's pretty nice balance. Sprint is 80MB down and 2-5MB up and that leads to weird behavior with the upstream being so choked.

The Samsung S9 is a great phone. I've had it 2 years and I'll have it a lot longer, there's no reason for me to upgrade.

How do you force it to use tmobile? Enable roaming?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

moolchaba posted:

Yea I haven't even gotten the T-Mobile one yet. Does the T-Mobile Sim enable things like WiFi calling that a BYOD Sprint Sim never did by chance? Just curious even though I have little need for it. My Wife on AT&T drops calls all the time on Cellular so she has to use WiFi to get reliable calling at home. Sprint is solid on calls pretty much everywhere so changing sims isn't something I am in any major rush to do until I am forced.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Harminoff posted:

How do you force it to use tmobile? Enable roaming?

I dial ##3282# on my phone and get to screen where you enter the MSL code (my phone doesn't need the MSL code) and then go in and turn off bands 25, 41 and 26. Then I reset the phone. It defaults to using the Tmobile LTE without any other changes (yes I have roaming on in my regular phone settings).

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea I haven't even gotten the T-Mobile one yet. Does the T-Mobile Sim enable things like WiFi calling that a BYOD Sprint Sim never did by chance? Just curious even though I have little need for it. My Wife on AT&T drops calls all the time on Cellular so she has to use WiFi to get reliable calling at home. Sprint is solid on calls pretty much everywhere so changing sims isn't something I am in any major rush to do until I am forced.

My phone has the wifi calling feature since I first got it in 2019, so that may just be phone specific thing.

I always check out Sprint Reddit or my phone model Reddit for any tips and tricks.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

EdEddnEddy posted:

I just stopped by my Tmobile store and swapped my sim from my old sprint one to a new tmobile one.

I have a moto G7 (byod from sprint) that I love and the first thing I noticed when I got home was wifi calling was just on.... I didnt do anything its just working.

What else should i be doing now guys? I get much much better speeds now than I did before, should I be disabling bands, or is that not an issue since I have a tmobile SIM now?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
You shouldn't need to mess with bands, your phone should automatically prefer T-Mobile towers and fall back to Sprint only if you can't get a T-Mobile signal. The Moto G7 is only missing band 71 so you should have good service on T-Mobile but may have a weaker signal than phones with it while indoors or far away from towers.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 27, 2021

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
If I got a new iPhone can I just use my older sim card instead? New one trying to read T-Mobile which sucks at my house still buy Sprint just works.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Yes, iPhones should still support the legacy Sprint network. You should be able to activate the phone on your Sprint account online.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Finally pulled the trigger on a discounted LG Wing. I know dead company but that phone is worth having just for collector sake. Should be here today Will let anyone interested know how it is.

One thing I am unsure about, the YouTube TV Deal through T-Mobile. I did the sign up so I can save $10 but, how long do you have to wait for a code/text/whatever to sign up under the discounted price? The Rewards tracker is useless and makes it sound like there is something I need to do on my end which, there shouldn't be...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Got my Wing, Haven't powered it up yet but drat this phone is Yuge. I love it!

Now one interesting tidbit about this phone is everything on the box shows it as being a Sprint device. Not a T-Mobile one. The T-Mobile Sim even comes separate from the device instead of preinstalled. I assume the one that may be in the device is an older Sprint one but will have to check.

All my Screen protectors and Case show up tomorrow so tonight will be just some basic tinkering, getting it up to date and whatnot.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So after a few days to setup and get things properly moved over, first full day with the phone as my primary.

So far, it's fantastic.

LG really did a much lighter touch to the UI than on past devices, however the things they did for the 2nd screen especially are really well done and thought out. Once I figured out how to make second screen combo app shortcuts (so it launches 2 apps on the screens separately with one tap, like Maps on primary, and YTMusic or Tidal on the 2nd screen.) As well as just adding shortcuts on either screen when in T mode. (Just swipe up on either screen to pin it to that screen) all works really well once you know that it can be done.

Performance is actually better than I expected considering the 765G is only supposed to be a little better than the 835, but the phone so far has not shown any slowness and the battery life is of course much better than even the replaced 2XL battery (though sadly I think the replacement battery was only like 75% good when i put it in anyway.)

Also I will have to admit the 5G near my house is actually pretty good. Sprints tower near me never gave me more than say 2-3 bars and only up to like 10mbit down, 2-4mbit up. Now its closer to 50mbit down and 20mbit up with full bars inside.

Only thing that's a bummer is the phone rebrands itself a little to T-Mobile and of course Visual Voicemail isn't through the Phone app but the Visual Voicemail app which is pretty much a Magenta Sprint Visual Voicemail app it looks. Not optimal bjt whatever. Everything else though is pretty unobtrusive and there are not a bunch of Mandatory UnInstallable garbage apps which is nice.

The only downsides for the phone is you have no real option for a keyboard alternative to type on the 2nd screen to input text on the first screen outside of the LG Keyboard which like others have said, isn't great, but its serviceable. Also the one downfiring speaker is pretty meh at best. But the earpiece speaker is really good and calls sound great on this so far.

For protection I picked up the Spigen thin case and while it has some adhesive strips in it, I am not using them as the case fits on really well without them and id like the option to swap\clean cases without messing with sticky residue.

I also ordered both a glass protector kit for both screens and a TPU\PET one for both screens. My main goal was to use TPU on the front main screen since its curved and the glass ones affect the fingerprint reader, and I still wanted glass for the flat 2nd screen.

So far that is working out perfectly. The glass protector on the 2nd screen feels great and doesn't touch the primary at all with its rotation at all. The TPU on the main actually looks good, feels good, isn't quite as nice as glass but you don't see it at all and I feel it protects this curved screen a little better than glass would in the hopefully unlikely event of a drop. So far the edges are staying down good too as it goes in and out of a pants pocket.

LG may be out of the game, but this final act is a drat good way to be remembered.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I like my LG G8X. I hardly ever use the 2nd screen attachment but it being free and them also chucking in a free 49 inch LG TV was a killer deal.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Cage posted:

I like my LG G8X. I hardly ever use the 2nd screen attachment but it being free and them also chucking in a free 49 inch LG TV was a killer deal.

My lgg8x had had constant problems with the charge port, but I love it otherwise. They ran out of tvs, and just sent me a check for $350.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
:mad: Nevermind. Despite being released not even two years ago this thing ain't 5G compatible and I got a text from T-Mo earlier today saying I'll need to upgrade. The one free phone they throw at you is a Samsung Galaxy A32 5G which I guess is good for free but its worse than my G8X. :mad:

Cage fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 22, 2021

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

FYI, if you're on one of Sprint's Kickstart plans (which includes the "Unlimited on Us" line from last June) you are now eligible to finance devices. This includes the free* (*after 24 monthly billing credits) 5G devices they're giving away (currently the Samsung Galaxy A32 5G and in a week or so the OnePlus Nord N200 5G). So jump on those deals while you can.

In retrospect, getting in on the original $15/mo Kickstart plan was the best decision I ever made. It could have gone terribly, but they've been slowly removing all the limits that made the plan undesirable so now it's just straight up one of the best deals ever in the history of cellular service (like I thought it might end up being). They're even throwing in 5 gigs of hotspot when they switch you to the "tax inclusive" version of the plan! Also, looking back at my past posts in this thread I had to laugh at my troubles getting the plan activated in the first place:

Mr.Radar posted:

LOL, I decided to actually sign up for the $15/month unlimited plan and I'm already regretting it.
[...]
Apparently that combination of factors (online order, in-store pickup, pending port-in with no other active lines) majorly confused their system. I scheduled the pick-up to occur at noon today (store opens at 11) and at almost exactly 11 I got a call from the store that something was screwed up with my order. I tried to call them back but it took over an hour of trying before they would pick up. Apparently the guy had been busy with a customer the whole time and couldn't even bother to put me on hold. Anyway, he told me there was no account number associated with the order and that I needed to call corporate to figure out how to fix it.

So I call telesales and they tell me no, I do in fact have an account (the rep gives me the account number) and says the people at the store are wrong. Let me give you some exact quotes from the representative I spoke with: "This is why you should always call us and never go to the store." "Don't put up with their nonsense." "Be arrogant with them." "Scream at them. I'm giving you permission." None of this was prompted, she just straight-up told me to yell at the store employees until I got what I wanted.
[...]

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 19, 2021

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I’m literally shocked they are still paying for Prime.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Free Wendys burg or spicy chicken today, and they also have an amazon prize wheel to spin. Might as well give it a shot its one click!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Got a fiver, nice!

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I have a SERO Premium account and a decrepit phone, and just received a letter that I'd be affected by the 1/1/2022 CDMA shutdown. It sounds like I missed the boat on SWAC--what else are people settling with discount wise?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You should still be able to convert to SWAC: https://sprint.custhelp.com/app/EWD/SEROtoSWAC/session/L3RpbWUvMTYyNTM2MjQyMy9zaWQvei1QLWc1ZnA%3D Do that and get whatever phone works best for you. You can get a free OnePlus Nord N200 with any trade in (must turn on and not have a cracked screen), though for Sprint customers it's only available in store and I believe requires a conversion to a T-Mobile SIM (so you will lose most access to the Sprint network if any T-Mobile service is also available, even if the T-Mobile service is bad and Sprint service is better where you are). If you log into your Sprint account online and try to upgrade your line you may have additional free upgrade offers (I'm still seeing the Galaxy A32 5G offer when I go to upgrade my Kickstart line even though that offer has been discontinued generally).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

^Yes Switch over to SWAC as soon as you can. It's been pretty leaps and bounds better than SERO was which is a relief considering how much we had to kind of fight and complain to keep SERO over all those years. Just hope SWAC never ends because it is a reallly sweet deal for sure.

Also T-Mobile Tuesdays still sucks hard compared to the Sprint Rewards. Whatever.

However one thing that is interesting, is my Free line that Sprint gave us before the Merger, has my Essential Phone on it, and T-Mobile sends me letters about how it will be affected with the CDMA shutoff and they actually offered the free A32 5G for that line so I snagged it because why not? (~$30 Tax/Shipping and that's it).

Jokes on them though, all I have to do is swap the sim on it and the Essential Phone will work fine on T-Mobiles 4G too. :smug:

Mainly I use that phone for the Monochrome and 360 Camera and not much else but hey, free line and free phone can't complain.

Lastly, I know LG is Dead/Gone but I still have to give props to the LG Wing. This phone is fantastic and I highly recommend grabbing one for the discounted price while T-Mobile still has them to sell. It works great as a normal phone but then when you wanna do 2 things at once, it makes it super easy to with the 2 screens and its wonderful.
The thing even has a totally useful Desktop mode if you have a little USB-C Dock to plug it into, and Pen input on the screen to boot. Picked up a Bamboo Gen 2 pen off ebay and it works great.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 14, 2021

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Good news? If this T-Mobile hack is legitimate Sprint customers are apparently unaffected according to the guy selling the data.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/08/t-mobile-investigating-claims-of-massive-data-breach/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone use Google Voice for voicemail still? I just realized that in the beginning of July my Pixel stopped using GV for voicemail and was sending it to Sprint, so I had a bunch of voicemails that I didn't even get notifications for.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I ported my number out to Google Voice and got a new number on my sprint line in order to keep using it for voicemail, they killed sprint GV integration ages ago officially, it must've just taken until July for them to actually shut it off entirely.

Just be aware that porting a number out without cancelling your line requires some ridiculous acrobatics on sprint's end that I could only get through a dedicated corporate store employee's help.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

corgski posted:

I ported my number out to Google Voice and got a new number on my sprint line in order to keep using it for voicemail, they killed sprint GV integration ages ago officially, it must've just taken until July for them to actually shut it off entirely.

Just be aware that porting a number out without cancelling your line requires some ridiculous acrobatics on sprint's end that I could only get through a dedicated corporate store employee's help.

It wasn't the integrated voicemail, it was the "when there's no answer on main phone it forwards to GV and it handles calls from there". I use my GV number for work and my regular cell for personal so I won't bother with trying to port out, guess I'll just deal with Sprint/T-Mobile voicemail app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Good news? If this T-Mobile hack is legitimate Sprint customers are apparently unaffected according to the guy selling the data.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/08/t-mobile-investigating-claims-of-massive-data-breach/

I'm a Sprint customer. I just got this.