Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Wow really? When I was a more active watcher in the early aughts and went to Indy's I encountered them but I figured by 2021 there'd be none left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Wow really? When I was a more active watcher in the early aughts and went to Indy's I encountered them but I figured by 2021 there'd be none left.

I had a woman and her kids next to me at ROH once who, even when the kids were not there, spoke as if she genuinely believed everything. She also chanted the f slur at Dalton Castle. This was maybe 2018?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah there's plenty of people who crawl out from back in the holler for pikeville shows and either think it's real or "know it's fake" but still think it's real

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What do they do with the more wackier gimmicks like the fiend or the undertaker? that stuff is kinda ridiculous.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

What do they do with the more wackier gimmicks like the fiend or the undertaker? that stuff is kinda ridiculous.

The ones I've encountered understand the pageantry is fake, and maybe even that some of the matches have finishes that are worked, but actually believe that like, Stone Cold is champ because he won those matches for real or whatever.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mind games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Cavauro posted:

yeah there's plenty of people who crawl out from back in the holler for pikeville shows and either think it's real or "know it's fake" but still think it's real

outside of these shows the only thing people crawl out of the holler for(Cav is using the exact correct nomenclature) is a local city celebration, you don't want to see the things I see at the annual Daniel Boone Festival

also lmao Cav namedropping Pikeville out here, nice pull brother

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Jimmy is angry

“So an award named after Lou Thesz and Ric Flair goes to a balding plumber from Cincinnati that looks nothing like, or works nothing like or has no reputation, anything like Lou Thesz or Ric Flair”

“So we’re gonna see another garbage match where they’re gonna take all kinds of bumps and do all kinds of stupid s**t with barbed wire…They’re gonna take chances on legitimately injuring themselves. They’re probably gonna get cut up for real. For a match that had a phony build-up, that nobody believes, that just makes them look more goofy and outlaw. Like they’re one of these hardcore death match promotions… Instead of something that you could legitimately respect as an endeavour that’s being placed on national television. And it just buries the wrestling business again.”
“It’s gonna be ridiculous. And these things never work. They can’t put this television f*****g programme together flawlessly from an editing standpoint just formatting the f*****g thing. How do you think they are gonna do at advanced special effects?!…It’s stupid, it never works, it just looks low rent and cheap and sideshow-ish…I have high expectations that this is gonna be a technical fiasco and another outlaw garbage match between two f*****g guys that don’t know how to work.”

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I like how in Jim’s world there are extremely strict laws on the books on what constitutes a wrestling show.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I went to a midnight opening for one of the CoD games wearing a CM Punk shirt and the manager told me with great sincerity that Shane McMahon was the real owner of TNA and Punk was going to switch companies very soon. He was very excited about this.

Thank you for watching this special episode of Marks Attacks

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lid posted:

Jimmy is angry

:words:

Is that an actual transcript, or did you just nail an awesome impression?

It's funny to hear Jim complain about a wrestler's look considering some of the people he's managed. Bobby Eaton's a hell of a wrestler, but he also looks like a guy who couldn't make assistant manager at a convenience store. Dennis Condry looked like he should've been running a junk yard.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
That is 100% pure strain Cornette.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I love that the guy who blew out his knees falling from a Scaffold is criticizing a deathmatch.

Lid posted:

That is 100% pure strain Cornette.

Sorry you had to listen/transcribe that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Davros1 posted:

Is that an actual transcript, or did you just nail an awesome impression?

It's funny to hear Jim complain about a wrestler's look considering some of the people he's managed. Bobby Eaton's a hell of a wrestler, but he also looks like a guy who couldn't make assistant manager at a convenience store. Dennis Condry looked like he should've been running a junk yard.

Look inside yourself. You know the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLYYEHxD6Y0

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I just copied it from an article no loving way am I listening to Cornette.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

capable of namedropping salyersville or even wheelwright

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Vince MechMahon posted:

I had a woman and her kids next to me at ROH once who, even when the kids were not there, spoke as if she genuinely believed everything. She also chanted the f slur at Dalton Castle. This was maybe 2018?

People at Manassas ROH shows chanted that at Jimmy Jacobs with distressing regularity.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

That rant is just pathetic. Just yelling for yelling's sake.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Vandar posted:

Look inside yourself. You know the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLYYEHxD6Y0

unrelated to cornette whining in this video but did meltzer really skip over mox's fued with mjf in his write-up or was that a mistake on lasts part when reading it hahaha

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Lid posted:

So an award named after Lou Thesz and Ric Flair goes to a balding plumber from Cincinnati that looks nothing like, or works nothing like or has no reputation, anything like Lou Thesz or Ric Flair"
That he unknowingly said this right after Mox went hold for hold with Harry Smith in a UWFi-style match is just delicious.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I am Cornholio. I need TP for my Bumphole

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's kinda funny that the same guy who basically worships at the altar of Dusty Rhodes thinks that "balding plumber from Cincinatti" is somehow an unacceptable look.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's kinda funny that the same guy who basically worships at the altar of Dusty Rhodes thinks that "balding plumber from Cincinatti" is somehow an unacceptable look.

Dusty was the son of a plumber, so it's totally different.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Most of the guys Cornette loves from the 70s and 80s territories look like common shlubs next to modern wrestlers. Also I doubt Cornette has a good word to say about the bodybuilder physiques of the 80s WWF either. I’m beginning to suspect he just says whatever he thinks will get a pop from the members of his dopey cult!!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love his continued insistence on mentioning balding as though that was a problem for Hogan or Austin.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lid posted:

Jimmy is angry

“So an award named after Lou Thesz and Ric Flair goes to a balding plumber from Cincinnati that looks nothing like, or works nothing like or has no reputation, anything like Lou Thesz or Ric Flair”

Lou Thesz was a balding dog breeder from the Upper Peninsula.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cerebral Bore posted:

Or that one of his best guys in SMW was "Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony*... who was balding and was TL Hopper in the WWF.

*No shade on Tony, who is genuinely really good and also absolutely fits the mold of 'he does not look like a great wrestler but the guy you have to really force out of the bar at last call.'

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was hoping Cornette was an anti-Dusty guy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
The best part about all this is you just know that if Big Biceps Tony and the Bucks showed up with an offer, Cornette wouldn't be able to sing AEW's praises fast enough

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The best part about all this is you just know that if Big Biceps Tony and the Bucks showed up with an offer, Cornette wouldn't be able to sing AEW's praises fast enough

Cornette already turned down an offer from Tony to work for AEW before they launched Dynamite

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Cornette already turned down an offer from Tony to work for AEW before they launched Dynamite
You've got that backwards

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

No offer was ever made by AEW to Cornette.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you've been gotten once again

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
It sure is believable that the company started by the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega, three men who Cornette has been maligning for absolute years, were just beating down his door to ask him to come work with them. But the noble James E. Cornette turned down that big-money offer so he could live his dream and be a commentator on *checks notes* NWA Powerrrrrrrrr :rolleyes:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

this is a great gimmick

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ARMBAR A COP posted:

this is a great gimmick

I thought so, but it seems like it's going to peak at mediocre at best and getting boring.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

"Oh, you think this thing is good? Well, I think it's bad. And that thing you think is bad? It's actually....

...GOOD!"

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Another hottake, Hetfield?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

RealFoxy posted:

You've got that backwards

Source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

hopefully we get a new weird and bad poster who will put more energy into trolling next quarter