Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

christ yeah i can't take more of Porter's snivelling crybaby poo poo

edit: terrible snipe but i stand by the message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
Why the gently caress is taking about Bill Shorten. What in the actual gently caress.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Holy poo poo he's comparing himself to Shorten's case and saying there was no media reporting on it. gently caress off you slimy gently caress

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, I'm going to have to read the transcripts. Can't take any more of this.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

How the gently caress is every member of government so ignorant of what is going on around them all the time? What a loving farce.

Also this slimey fucker just playing victim and having a whinge. He's the real victim here!

He's keeping his job, btw, because otherwise people might start believing women!

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

How was he going through a trial by media when the media was super careful to make sure his name was never mentioned?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

All the whinging was to hide the fact that his statement is a non-statement.

"other people will discuss this, I can't"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I have discussed with the Prime Minister today that after speaking with my own doctor I am going to take a short period of leave to assess and hopefully improve my own mental health.

All of my life I have just pushed through, but for the many caring family and friends who have asked me that question over the course of the last week, “Are you OK?” I have got to say my independence answer is I really don’t know.

I am not ashamed to say that I am going to seek some professional assessment and assistance on answering that question over the next few weeks before I go back into the field of my doubts and resume the role of Attorney-General, minister of industrial relations and Leader of the House

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I watched a little bit and he was going "I was a crown prosecutor, so I helped victims. I prosecuted rapists so I can't possibly be one." whilst sniffing and doing his best to cry crocodile tears.

gently caress this rapist. But he said he didn't do it, the victim is dead, the police couldn't be arsed charging him, and he gets to keep his high paying job because his boss doesn't have the balls to sack him.

YAY. God drat bloody well yay.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

ShoeFly posted:

How was he going through a trial by media when the media was super careful to make sure his name was never mentioned?

That's his calculated defence for keeping his job. This has stressed him so much that he must stand fast and not buckle to the pressure of allegations in order to create a precedent: that nobody can be taken down by allegations of sexual assault in the future.

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
This is up there with the Prince Andrew interview. How can some one be that far up their own rear end?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Just imagine...

Fmd what a snively manipulative piece of poo poo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Clearly Mr Porter is real victim here.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Explaining why courts are important to find the truth. But then there's no need to investigate this or for an inquiry because he says it didn't happen.

Absolute cognitive dissonance.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Being super careful not say that Morrison didn't read the letter.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so who had 'I didnt do it and who cares shes dead anyway lol'? please come up to the front to claim your prize.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Laserface posted:

so who had 'I didnt do it and who cares shes dead anyway lol'? please come up to the front to claim your prize.

Literally everyone

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Laserface posted:

I didn't think he'd have the gall to cry about his mental health so I'll say I was half-right

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

he gets to keep his high paying job because his boss doesn't have the balls to sack him.

Doesn't have the numbers either.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm amazed you folks can watch this kind of thing, you're stronger or more masochistic than I am

I'll read a transcript or summary but no way could I actually listen to it

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

EoinCannon posted:

I'm amazed you folks can watch this kind of thing, you're stronger or more masochistic than I am

I'll read a transcript or summary but no way could I actually listen to it

I was thinking that too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

why wouldnt you be able to watch it? theres no god nothing matters and its just lols for the rest of time now. dig in.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Apologising for the "politicisation of your daughter's death", making sure to name the ABC and their coverage, "I followed the rules", name dropping Shorten, painting himself as the victim while qualifying every single denial. Continuing to fight the culture wars at a press conference while you deny the under-age rape of a woman who has since taken her own life. Saying the rule of law would no longer apply if he stood down.

He didn't read the letter, Morrison didn't read the letter, yet he confirmed the part about her ironing his shirt because he didn't know how.

NSW police never bothered contacting him before they closed their case. Morrison won't order an independent inquiry citing the closed case, and won't care what the SA coroner concludes.

All an hour after Grace Tame's National Press Club speech on sexual assault.

I can't describe the disgust I'm feeling right now.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Hearing politicians talking, about anything, is wasted time because they don't ever say anything. It is just pain.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://sports.theonion.com/college-basketball-star-heroically-overcomes-tragic-rap-1819594970

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

This looks to be a little spear-tip of a Trumpian fascist disinformation machine making its way into Australia, with a "we are coming" kind of hashtag:

https://www.reignitedemocracyaustralia.com.au/wearecoming?fbclid=IwAR0o4u2-Mko-3KGFTP9rhzsi1mXVUu8Zewknx7dhNeSQv9aZWA633mts3ro
https://www.facebook.com/Third.Front.Team.Australia

Same ilk as Ricarrdo Bossi, Australia One party, Vote Rights Party, Binary, Great Australia Party, etc.

Maybe something to keep an eye on if that's your thing.

edit: Here's the guy behind it: https://www.facebook.com/sabhlok

Now being Boosted by Murdoch:

quote:

‘I can do a hell of a lot of damage’: Former Victorian official plots anti-lockdown political movement
A former Victorian government official is seeking to cobble together a coalition of anti-vaxxers and “disaffected” voters angry at lockdowns.

EXCLUSIVE

A former Victorian government official who resigned last year in protest at the coronavirus lockdown is plotting a political “third front” to take the fight to Liberal and Labor at upcoming elections.

Sanjeev Sabhlok quit his role as an economist in the Victorian Treasury Department in September, accusing Daniel Andrews’ government of implementing a “police state” in a disproportionate response to COVID-19, which he argues is “at least 80 times less (deadly) than the Spanish flu”.

Now Mr Sabhlok, a former high-ranking civil servant in India who moved to Melbourne in 2001, wants to use his experience as a political organiser in his home country to cobble together a makeshift coalition of fringe parties and disaffected voters from both sides of the aisle.

“I’m capable of doing a hell of a lot of damage politically to these characters,” he told news.com.au. “I was the happiest person living in Australia, but they betrayed all of us.”

He says the final straw was Victorian chief health officer Brett Sutton’s mandatory mask order. “That is such a criminal order, it breaches all sense of proportionality and has nothing to do with the virus,” he said.

“It is stepping into my existence, imposing their will on my soul.”

While he became an Australian citizen in 2005, his political activism in the past has been focused on India.

“Now I’ve decided my own liberty is at stake,” he said. “These guys have aggravated me and therefore they’re facing my wrath. I will organise.”

Mr Sabhlok says he would like the support of now-independent MP Craig Kelly, who split from the Liberal Party after being reprimanded for spreading coronavirus misinformation on social media, and is in “very close touch” with celebrity chef and conspiracy theorist Pete Evans, who recently announced he would run for Senate under former One Nation Senator Rod Culleton’s Great Australia Party.

“I’d like to have Craig Kelly,” he said.

“Pete Evans is definitely supportive but he’s joined another party. I’ve had chats with Rod Culleton. The question is are they willing to collaborate? Every party has its axe to grind – I don’t have an axe to grind, I just want my freedom.”

Mr Kelly told news.com.au in an email he was “yet to speak with Sanjeev, however his action of resigning his position from the Victorian government in protest shows that he is a man of the highest integrity”.

According to Mr Sabhlok, he already has two unnamed parties signed up and is speaking with another four.

He concedes his chances are “almost like for me trying to go to the moon on my own”. “Yes, it is a moonshot, but I believe politically there is space being created right in the centre of the political sphere,” Mr Sabhlok said.

“There are a lot of Labor people who are disenchanted, and a lot of Liberal voters saying the party has failed to defend basic liberty.”

He highlighted anti-vaccination protests held around the country on February 20 that attracted thousands of attendees, saying it showed there were large numbers of “very emotionally excited people” and that those willing to turn up in person were “only the tip of the iceberg”.

“Multiply that by at least 10 times,” he said.

“Politics is very difficult to predict. In India there have been movements that started and in six months took over (a state government).”

Mr Sabhlok says while his coalition would embrace “genuine anti-vaxxers, that’s fine”, he stresses he’s “not anti-vax”.

“I’m 100 per cent pro-vax – I’ve written articles about it,” he said.

But he believes de facto mandatory vaccination via “vaccine passports” and other restrictions on non-vaccinated people may be a bridge too far for many Australians.

“I’m saying it’s a personal choice,” he said.

The scenes of booing at the Australian Open last month when Tennis Australia chair Jayne Hrdlicka mentioned the vaccine rollout “tells you the average punter is not convinced this vaccine is either essential or (should be) mandated in any shape”.

“There’s a hell of a lot of opposition,” he said.

“Now they’re saying even if you have the vaccine we may not let you get back to normal. People are getting really sick of this.”

He also says he does not endorse “all these crazy hypotheses” such as the “Great Reset, Bill Gates”. But he says “on the other hand” there is ample evidence that China “planted this hysteria” that caused governments to implement lockdown policies.

Mr Sabhlok was one of 10 signatories to an open letter in January addressed to the FBI and Western intelligence agencies requesting an investigation into the Chinese Communist Party’s “global lockdown fraud”.

“We had our own plans to flatten the curve but copied Xi Jinping and went for eradication,” he said.

He believes there are “a number of factors coming together” that could drive the political movement, including a large number of young people who have been “particularly harmed” by the COVID-19 response.

“I managed to get to speak (to some recently), and I said, ‘You young people are basically barking up the wrong tree. Protests don’t shift opinion polls, you ultimately have to organise politically,’” he said.

“Obviously the problem with political organising is everyone has their own personal belief that it’s Labor’s fault or Liberals’ fault. We need to (accept) it’s the fault of both parties. That’s a big leap.”

Mr Sabhlok says at first he “thought it was all Dan Andrews’ fault” but “that turned out to be wrong”, and that “very clearly” there was support from Prime Minister Scott Morrison for the Victorian Premier’s policies.

“It was clear Liberal MPs were under strict instruction from Scott Morrison not to attack Dan Andrews,” he said.

The problem, he argues, is both parties and governments at all levels are now wedded to their initial response. “They took a decision without considering any of its implications,” he said.

“This is the tragedy of all governments – I’ve been in government 38 years – once a government decides on a particular approach, it locks itself in. It sets in place so many things, (such as) JobKeeper, it becomes virtually impossible to get out of it.”

A draft document for his “third front” proposal outlines Mr Sabhlok’s arguments against the current coronavirus measures, lists alleged “illegal” acts by state and federal politicians, and lays out how people can get involved by standing for office or distributing leaflets.

“Australia has become a huge prison since March 2020,” the document states.

“Our politicians have locked our borders and implemented illegal quarantines (never acceptable for such a virus), imposed lockdowns and mandatory masks (never even dreamt of before in human history) and are now talking about mandatory vaccines (vaccine passports) and about making QR codes permanent.”

It continues, “When did we ever give our politicians such powers? Our politicians have broken Australia’s Constitution and laws. They have crushed people’s liberty on false pretexts.

“This is not the Spanish flu or ebola – and even if it was these measures would not have been justified. We are now a full-fledged police state, a surveillance state. This is public health terrorism.”

Mr Sabhlok says his “coalition of all the discontents” could be “anywhere from 2 per cent to 20 per cent of the population at the moment”.

“If we can have an impact on the Lower House seats as well as the Upper House in the forthcoming federal election, I believe the messaging will be clear – the politicians are our servants, and they have overstepped the mark,” he said.

frank.chung@news.com.au

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...c6abd897d5262fb

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Missed this because a long phone call cropped up, but boy howdy, seems like it was one for the ages

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Animal Friend posted:

lmao

It speaks volumes that basically everybody assumed it was Porter to begin with. An absolute slimeball.

I gotta say, before the 4 Corners thing I never got that impression. There's at least half a dozen cabinet ministers I would've thought of before him. Maybe that's just because he was just never particularly high profile, maybe it's because I'm from WA and he was always one of the sort of random background state level ministers, but maybe it's just more proof you can never really tell, this kind of poo poo can be anyone.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also his "I can't resign or step down because if I did that then that would compromise the rule of law" bullshit defense is saying to all the victims of other important powerful men "It doesn't matter if you are raped/assaulted and make accusations against someone with power, nobody will believe you, and the dude will get away scott free. Save yourself the hassle and keep it to yourself."

Which is hosed up in the extreme.

edit: clarified my wording a little

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 3, 2021

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol imagine chucking away your 6 figure desk job at DTF to be a pissbaby little moaner about masks

Was probably about to get terminated

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also his "I can't resign or step down because if I did that then that would compromise the rule of law" bullshit defense is saying to all the victims of other important powerful men "It doesn't matter if you are raped/assaulted and make accusations against someone with power, nobody will believe you, and the dude will get away scott free. Save yourself the hassle and keep it to yourself."

Which is hosed up in the extreme.

edit: clarified my wording a little

Basically "women are usually hysterical and that shouldn't end a man's career" is what he said.

Also the man responsible for killing any attempt at a federal ICAC, allowing secret evidence and trials and expanding the authoritarian powers of the government (a government with members found to be in contempt of court) suddenly so concerned with "rule of law".

Also how the gently caress did he know about the shirt ironing thing but nothing else in the documents circulating?

None of this ads up but it probably won't matter.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
This dweeb having the gall to moan about rule of law is ridiculous. But I expect nothing less from one of the LNP.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Sierra Madre posted:

I'd argue that, if anything, TERFs acknowledge without outright stating (because they can't go that far) that trans men are men. All these conversations and talking points stem from those bathroom warrior types, most if not all of whom are just straight-up reactionaries, but that can easily be spun as a TERF point once you talk about one half of gendered bathrooms as 'women's spaces.' The consequence of this is that the focus is almost entirely on trans women, and trans men get left out because they're not the ones going into women's spaces. Since when did feminist conversations about safe spaces for women factor in men outside the spaces?

oh yeah, that's part of why I said I'd undermine them. there's some that invent new spurious mental illnesses (or claim it's the oppressed wanting to join the other team) and so on to explain trans men, but way the subject is avoided I would suggest is a sign that they do know that... it's easy for people to realise that you're having to create two explanations for one thing... and this reduces the effectiveness of these arguments as a wedge

I dunno, something to that effect anyway, my brain's a bit fried tonight

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

The Peccadillo posted:

Habit Proof Fence

This needs more love.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Defence Minister Linda Reynolds has admitted she described alleged rape victim Brittany Higgins as a “lying cow” in her open-plan office but insists she wasn’t taking about sexual assault.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Lid posted:

Defence Minister Linda Reynolds has admitted she described alleged rape victim Brittany Higgins as a “lying cow” in her open-plan office but insists she wasn’t taking about sexual assault.

Yeah, that's just a calculating way to discredit the complainant. A lady of authority letting slip that outside the allegations, she thought the complainant would tell porkie pies regularly enough to the point that she had voiced it before the allegations were brought to light.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Countdown to other women coming forward with allegations against porter.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Spookydonut posted:

Countdown to other women coming forward with allegations against porter.

Why stop at porter

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hasn’t Porter already had other women accuse him of sexual harassment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The ABC was reporting that the defence minister is “embattled”.