Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Turin Turambar posted:

poo poo, already? Sure are not fakes?

Its out on the 9th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

poo poo, already? Sure are not fakes?

Nah haven't seen anything yet, but I don't want to see any spoiled panels at all of the climax chapter.

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

This is the video that is creating a bunch of buzz on Twitter I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwCCs6yTpPY

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Viridiant posted:

All I see on Twitter are people thirsting over Eren and Hitch.

That's an every day occurrence, though. People on Twitter thirst over every character in every fictional series.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Does anyone thrist over Magath?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

McConnell posted:

This is the video that is creating a bunch of buzz on Twitter I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwCCs6yTpPY

I usually like this guys stuff, but christ does this one miss the mark.

He actually tries to argue that the story treats the racism in the story as logical and rational, when it literally goes out of its way to say none of it is rational and there is no justification for the violence we see.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 2, 2021

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hierarchical social relations lead to promoting and reinforcing social divisions such as racism to protect itself and those on the top

I'm not watching that video but I assume it's making an absurd argument that since the victims can titanize the series justifies the racism from the perspective of the perpetrators.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
One I love is when the Tyburs are used as an example of how the series is problematic by cribbing on ideas of secret Jewish cabals ruling the world, when in the story they actually serve three purposes:

- Show that the Eldian Empire never disappeared; it just rebranded itself Marley with a continuation of the same aristocracy retaining power, and a fabricated national mythos to justify the exploitation of the disenfranchised Eldian citizenry.
- How class solidarity among the powerful transcends the racism used as a boot.
- The Tyburs produce a courageous man with noble goals, perfectly positioned to enact societal change, and his solution is to scapegoat the Paradisians. Rhymes with how a century before King Fritz decided to use the enormous power of the Founder to brainwash his subjects into building a giant religious commune as a way of collectively atoning for the crimes of his family.

In the end, it's all done to showcase the cycles of violence are really cycles of the powerful exploiting the powerless, and whatever justifications are presented are simply excuses for the benefit of those who stand to gain by the current status quo.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Analyzing ANYTHING through the lens of allegory is the most incurious, weak, useless, high school lit crit bullshit, period. Blatantly distorting facts and missing the entire loving point makes that worse. What an awful loving video. I really think it's just trying to be incendiary about *currently airing thing* for rage clicks. This guy previously made some decent Star Wars videos, but man this is atrocious, and I'm going to loving loathe the Twitter imbeciles who share this around for the next decade.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Allegory is just...a literary device...like, Attack on Titan uses allegories. You won't strain your eyes seeing them.

The larger point brought up throughout the video is that the manga doesn't do a good job of drawing a fine line between what's meant to be an allegory and what's done to look cool in the battle manga. Dude even concludes that he thinks AOT was just incredibly careless with its imagery and parallels to reality, he even goes as far to say that he'd re-evaluate his conclusions based on how the story ends.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

TheHan posted:

Allegory is just...a literary device...like, Attack on Titan uses allegories. You won't strain your eyes seeing them.

The larger point brought up throughout the video is that the manga doesn't do a good job of drawing a fine line between what's meant to be an allegory and what's done to look cool in the battle manga. Dude even concludes that he thinks AOT was just incredibly careless with its imagery and parallels to reality, he even goes as far to say that he'd re-evaluate his conclusions based on how the story ends.

It's a manga written by a Japanese author for primarily Japanese audience. It wouldn't even get popular beyond Japan if it didn't become popular there. Stating that Isayama was "incredibly careless with imagery and parallels to reality" means that you expect every single culture to cater for delicate sensibilities of Western audience while writing their stories.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Gantolandon posted:

It's a manga written by a Japanese author for primarily Japanese audience. It wouldn't even get popular beyond Japan if it didn't become popular there. Stating that Isayama was "incredibly careless with imagery and parallels to reality" means that you expect every single culture to cater for delicate sensibilities of Western audience while writing their stories.

Now you know this post don’t make a lick a sense.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Yeah but the 40ft tall eye-bulging perma-smiling titan who walks on all fours had a hook nose, come on Isayama you axis power gently caress did you think we wouldn't notice???

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Really bad faith video to say AoT is a fascism propaganda story. I'll agree tho the star armbands were a terrible choice and give a foothold for these hot takes.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

TheHan posted:

Now you know this post don’t make a lick a sense.

You can't expect a product meant for a local market to be tailored not to offend a consumer from a completely another country. Accusing Isayama of promoting fascism has no basis in reality, but going from this to "well, maybe he isn't a fascist but he should have been more sensible and maybe not use armbands" is seeing yourself as the center of the world whose cultural sensibilities come before others.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just think those takes are exhausting because they reek of trying to prove a "foregone conclusion" right. Also I think people mix up allegories with imagery - Isayama used loaded imagery when depicting the Eldians but they're not an allegory for Jewish people, their history is different, the power balance is different, how they fit in the Marleyean society is different...

It doesn't help that they can't pick a line of criticism. Is it bad because it supports Japanese nationalism, because it depicts "Jews" as deserving their oppression, because the heroes are part of a military outfit? The goalposts keep moving because it's not like these lines are compatible with each other, especially if you wanna seriously argue it's all allegories all around.

edit: oh, also, I do agree that a good chunk of criticism kinda ignores how Japanese media uses imagery, especially Western imagery, in favor of applying this very USA-centric formalist lens.

Dias fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 3, 2021

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I agree, it’s exhausting and none of them are arguing in good faith because the goalposts keep changing. You counter an argument with evidence in the text and then its moved only for it to happen again.

It just becomes so blatantly clear at that point they’re not engaging with the text and have no intention to do so.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wonder if Japanese forums have these tiresome arguments every time some Western media creator clumsily uses orientalist imagery

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Gantolandon posted:

You can't expect a product meant for a local market to be tailored not to offend a consumer from a completely another country. Accusing Isayama of promoting fascism has no basis in reality, but going from this to "well, maybe he isn't a fascist but he should have been more sensible and maybe not use armbands" is seeing yourself as the center of the world whose cultural sensibilities come before others.

Come on, don’t be goofy. Japan’s not a homogenous entity, just cause you can get away with more overt nationalism and nazi imagery there than in western media doesn’t mean the nation as a whole is on the same wavelength. Nevermind that it’s imagery from a global event. Like, in Japan the armbands don’t reference a Japan thing. Is a Korean person’s feelings about Pixis invalid cause they love Akiyama in Japan?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

TheHan posted:

Come on, don’t be goofy. Japan’s not a homogenous entity, just cause you can get away with more overt nationalism and nazi imagery there than in western media doesn’t mean the nation as a whole is on the same wavelength. Nevermind that it’s imagery from a global event. Like, in Japan the armbands don’t reference a Japan thing. Is a Korean person’s feelings about Pixis invalid cause they love Akiyama in Japan?

No let him be goofy. It's funny.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

TheHan posted:

Come on, don’t be goofy. Japan’s not a homogenous entity, just cause you can get away with more overt nationalism and nazi imagery there than in western media

ahaha what the gently caress you cant seriously think this

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

nabo posted:

ahaha what the gently caress you cant seriously think this

Yeah I think that's like, a pretty cold take man. I'm sure you've seen your fair share of American media laundering nationalist or nazi imagery for general audiences and Japanese media that'll have like, a magical girl with hyper nationalism as her cute gimmick or putting a character in an SS uniform cause it looks cool.

Plus my point was that even if you can get those images to print in Japan easier than you would be able to in the US, it doesn't mean the population as a whole is cool with it. So I just feel like you didn't parse my post very well. I'm less concerned with the video's take on AOT's allegories since it's actually pretty laid back and isn't calling you a nazi if you enjoy reading it (He says pretty plainly that he reads it, enjoys it, noticed the allegories but didn't write off the entire series due to them), but saying that analyzing a show's allegories is bullshit or that Attack on Titan's allegories are hopelessly foreign to anyone who isn't Japanese is ridiculous. You can argue that Isayama used the imagery effectively or poorly (But you don't want to do that here cause it'll be a multi-page back and forth where people say really weird poo poo to you), but why act like he's some dumbass that didn't know the weight of the imagery he was using?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think AoT is fascist because it seems like it would be pretty cool to use that 3d-manuvering gear their military uses and that's basically a gateway drug to doing war crimes in the middle east.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

christmas boots posted:

I think AoT is fascist because it seems like it would be pretty cool to use that 3d-manuvering gear their military uses and that's basically a gateway drug to doing war crimes in the middle east.

This is the most convincing argument for "AoT is fascist" I've seen yet. Well done

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

christmas boots posted:

But AoT shows that if you commit war crimes in the middle east, your friends get killed by people using 3d-manuevering gear.

Checkmate.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

speaking of 3DMG being cool, i’m assuming the AoT video games are mediocre because no one ever talks about them

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

speaking of 3DMG being cool, i’m assuming the AoT video games are mediocre because no one ever talks about them

The one on Steam?

It's actually pretty alright!

It's by the Dynasty Warriors team, so you'll have a lot of repetitive combat if you want to 100 percent the thing, and you only go through season 2 (season 3 is covered in DLC missions included with the complete edition, which seldom goes on sale) but the core gameplay is pretty fun. You're constantly moving at high speeds to try to get behind Titans for the killing blow without being snatched out of the sky, but you can lop off their arms and legs to make them less of a threat first. You've got to keep an eye on your fuel tank (running out leaves you with much less manueverability) and your blades (running out means you barely do chip damage) as you zip through the map killing titans and completing your objectives.

People talked about it more when it came out, but it's been three years, so it doesn't come up much.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The musou-like ones are actually pretty good, yeah. Not amazing games but they're definitely the best attempt to make the series into a game

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
You'd think it'd be fun to be one of the characters that turns into a Titan but unfortunately at that point it kind of just turns into a worse version of a regular warriors game.

It'd probably be funner if there were humans to fight in Titan form, and they made Titan specific missions where you destroyed poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty sure there was one poster who played a lot of one of the AoT games and posted a bit about it in this thread. Very informative look into the game.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I played both of them to 100% I think, but it was a while ago and I don't think there was any DLC for them at the time. They're pretty fun, not the most engaging games ever made but I imagine it's the same kind of feeling you get from those dynasty warriors games that I've never been interested in. They're pretty cool, the combat system is fun and engaging even though it's kinda repetitive, but it makes your dumb monkey brain happy to watch numbers go up as you get more shiny rocks to upgrade your sword or gas canisters to get stronger and make more numbers go up and kill titans faster.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Viridiant posted:

You'd think it'd be fun to be one of the characters that turns into a Titan but unfortunately at that point it kind of just turns into a worse version of a regular warriors game.

It'd probably be funner if there were humans to fight in Titan form, and they made Titan specific missions where you destroyed poo poo.

They did. It's a bonus minigame you can play in Hange's lab. You run around eating people and smashing towers until Eren shows up, then you try to evade or slow him while eating people until Levi shows up, at which point you instantly die.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
This one looks fun, if a little janky.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I remember people saying the first console one was pretty fun.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

oh jesus i remember

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

I remember people saying the first console one was pretty fun.

The second one is an improvement on it. It's just not so much of an improvement that it's an easy sell if you got the first one already.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

this game loving ruled so much. playing on 40 man servers was an absolute hoot. i was so into it that i learned how to play it on a loving mousepad.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I've posted about the 2 games on Steam. If you don't own the first one, don't bother and skip to the second; you won't miss a thing. They're both very good games and very fun to play. Just keep in mind that the gameplay doesn't change much throughout, as musous rarely do. The second game also gives you the ability to play as various character, aberrant, and normal titans, which is incredibly silly.

They are, unfortunately, published by Koei Tecmo meaning they never go on sale and are 60 dollars despite their age and not actually really being worth 60 dollars imho.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 4, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Checked /a/ to see if there's leaks and everyone is going nuts over a bee leak and I really want to believe it because its very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The titans were full of bees? Jesus, how much scarier can they get???