Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I've noticed if I have a game running in the background, my downloads will be capped around 50 Mbps, but if I quit the game completely my downloads speed up to 300-500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cr0y posted:

Are XBox servers just chronically slow or am I missing something here?

I have gigabit fios into my house, I can get screaming fast downloads on pretty much any service, and other devices on my network ping the internet in the teens in terms of latency. I recently got an SX, and prior to that had an Xbone, it seems like no matter what I do my store downloads always crawl at like 30-40mb/s. Ive tried different network cables, DNS settings, etc. The speed test utility in settings reports back slow speeds as well. Usually my in game latency is fine, but the speed test says 175ms.

This has been going on for months, I have never had a fast download from the store. I really cant figure out what is going on. I do sysadmin/telecom work by trade so I have ruled out all the common problems. Really starting to piss me off.

My first instinct if you've tried other network troubleshooting is that you might be connecting to a bad Microsoft Server, or something about to route to said Microsoft Server is hosed. It might not improve things the way you want and this is more for the sake of testing/troubleshooting, but can you connect your home network via VPN somehow to another part of the country (I'm assuming you're US, so if you're East Coast connect to a West Coast VPN, maybe try Canada as well) and see what impact that has on your network speeds? If you're in a small country then try a neighboring country (e.g. if you're in the UK try a VPN to France or Germany).

If that looks to produce some level of improvement it might be worth doing some traceroute/packet sniffing to work out the path the connecting is taking. You might be able to figure out a workaround or someone to yell at that way. It could be worth trying different DNS providers (Google, Cloudflare etc.) to see if that has any effect too, I know you said you looked at stuff but it might be worth being more extensive about it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

beggar posted:

I've noticed if I have a game running in the background, my downloads will be capped around 50 Mbps, but if I quit the game completely my downloads speed up to 300-500
i don't get anywhere near that fast. i have my series x hard-wired and it never breaks 100mbps. my wired desktop gets over 900mbps and even this chromebook that i'm typing this on gets 400+ on wifi

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

John F Bennett posted:

Y'all should download Wreckfest on game pass, it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvmAJKyrsvA

I've been playing on and off for the last week or so. Started talking with friends I do Extra Life with and I think we're going to try and do a multiplayer game where drivers are blindfolded and they have a partner watching their stream giving them directions. I'm not quite sure how to pull this off, but I figure I've got a few months to figure it out.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Wreckful servers straight up don't work for me. Tried three diff days got into one match once, couldn't invite a friend to a private match either.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Seltzer posted:

Wreckful servers straight up don't work for me. Tried three diff days got into one match once, couldn't invite a friend to a private match either.

I'm EU but EU servers don't always work for me. So I've switched to USA region and I have a match within seconds, maybe you could try changing region?

highme posted:

I've been playing on and off for the last week or so. Started talking with friends I do Extra Life with and I think we're going to try and do a multiplayer game where drivers are blindfolded and they have a partner watching their stream giving them directions. I'm not quite sure how to pull this off, but I figure I've got a few months to figure it out.

Sounds like something that should be video'd.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

cr0y posted:

I have gigabit fios into my house, I can get screaming fast downloads on pretty much any service, and other devices on my network ping the internet in the teens in terms of latency. I recently got an SX, and prior to that had an Xbone, it seems like no matter what I do my store downloads always crawl at like 30-40mb/s. Ive tried different network cables, DNS settings, etc. The speed test utility in settings reports back slow speeds as well. Usually my in game latency is fine, but the speed test says 175ms.

This has been going on for months, I have never had a fast download from the store. I really cant figure out what is going on. I do sysadmin/telecom work by trade so I have ruled out all the common problems. Really starting to piss me off.

beggar posted:

this is the answer. you have to quit games/apps that are running (yes even suspended)

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

John F Bennett posted:

Sounds like something that should be video'd.

Oh absolutely, we'll have a camera on both driver & direction giver.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

beggar posted:

:same:

One thing you can try is messing with the router QoS settings if you have a lot of active devices in the house. If you have DD-WRT installed there's a preset to give maximum priority specifically to Xbox Live connections.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I am going to be heading out of town for a while... what is it like playing my Xbox games on an Android tablet?

Seems to be popular, but I am thinking touch controls will suck on games intended to be played with a controller. Or do you connect a controller to your android device somehow?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
An Xbox controller will connect natively to any phone or tablet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

An Xbox controller will connect natively to any phone or tablet.

Unless you own a first gen bone I think? I thought they added bluetooth default somewhere into that gen

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

Unless you own a first gen bone I think? I thought they added bluetooth default somewhere into that gen

Yeah the first gen version won’t.

It’s the one with no headphone Jack either.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah the first gen version won’t.

It’s the one with no headphone Jack either.

Spent that whole gen waiting for that controller to die and it just wouldn't

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bluetooth wasn't in the 2nd-generation controllers either, those just fixed the bad bumpers and added in the headphone jack. In fact I'm pretty sure the first-generation Xbox Elite controller doesn't either.

Controllers have bluetooth if the plastic surrounding the Xbox Home button is the same piece of plastic (same color etc.) that covers most of the front of the controller (surrounding the sticks and face buttons).

In that picture, the bottom controller is a bluetooth-capable controller, the top one isn't.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

univbee posted:

Bluetooth wasn't in the 2nd-generation controllers either, those just fixed the bad bumpers and added in the headphone jack. In fact I'm pretty sure the first-generation Xbox Elite controller doesn't either.

Controllers have bluetooth if the plastic surrounding the Xbox Home button is the same piece of plastic (same color etc.) that covers most of the front of the controller (surrounding the sticks and face buttons).

In that picture, the bottom controller is a bluetooth-capable controller, the top one isn't.

These won’t connect to the Series X either (my first gen one sure didnt).

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Holy crap. Ryse has multiplayer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Holy crap. Ryse has multiplayer.

Yes, and iirc all the DLC was for it

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Ryse felt great on PC, I def wouldn't be able to stand it in 900p30

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Barudak posted:

Yes, and iirc all the DLC was for it

Holy crap. Ryse has DLC.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The official ryse forum is still up too if you want to chat hit me up im whoever posted there once in 2018 to laugh that it was still there despite 0 users

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ryse is a weirdly adequate game that could have had a good sequel but instead got dustbinned super hard. Solid 7/10

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

cr0y posted:

My speeds are like 20% of what they should be unless I quit out of all games for some reason.

But no the MS store is quite fast for me compared to other storefronts

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The more I play Outriders the more I like it. If I can easily pick up between Steam/windows store and an xbox I’m in.

Edit: the cutscenes seem to get better as the story goes on. This is definitely a generous demo.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 3, 2021

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Does the “buy three years of Gold and then convert to Game Pass Ultimate for $1” trick still work? If not, what’s the cheapest way to get as much GPU as possible if you haven’t signed up for it before?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

The first-gen controllers should work on Series X|S. Your controller may be broken.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Barudak posted:

Ryse is a weirdly adequate game that could have had a good sequel but instead got dustbinned super hard. Solid 7/10

it would probably help if they gave a historically-inspired game a less stupid and off-putting name

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Does the “buy three years of Gold and then convert to Game Pass Ultimate for $1” trick still work? If not, what’s the cheapest way to get as much GPU as possible if you haven’t signed up for it before?

It should still work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

it would probably help if they gave a historically-inspired game a less stupid and off-putting name

It has an easter egg where you can summon the ghosts from lord of the rings to kill your enemies in the beach storming level so its not totally all in on historical accuracy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Barudak posted:

It has an easter egg where you can summon the ghosts from lord of the rings to kill your enemies in the beach storming level so its not totally all in on historical accuracy.

oh no, historical accuracy isn't the issue

it's that the game's name is RYSE, which is the most generic video game title nonsense imaginable, and sounds like it could be a sci-fi/fantasy/rpg/shooter game. See what I did there? It could be practically anything. RYSE: cyberpunk 2077, RYSE: Dragon Riders of Berk, RYSE: Combat Evolved, RYSE: Risky's Revenge

What it definitely doesn't sound like is a game about ancient Rome. Which is definitely why they had to put a clarifier behind a colon.

It feels like they have zero confidence in the game's premise, and the juxtaposition of the misspelling of "ryse" with "son of rome" is particularly jarring. Like even if the game had been called Rise: Son of Rome, or Rise, Son of Rome, it would be a massive improvement in branding.

I mean, MS put like zero advertising behind the game so it's obvious that nobody had any confidence in it, but Jesus talk about how to not roll out a game that even the title's a loving head scratcher.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh no, I agree. I just wanted to mention the staggeringly weird easter egg

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Spelling Ryse with a Y was probably a sort of a callback/allusion to Crysis. Ryse was a Crytek game too.

Zat fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 3, 2021

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

John F Bennett posted:

Y'all should download Wreckfest on game pass, it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvmAJKyrsvA

This makes me miss the original GRID a lot. The brown/yellow filter was hideous but they had this one single demolition derby track and pretty much every single online lobby was just people playing that over and over because it was so entertaining. I can't believe that after how popular it was that Codemasters didn't lean into making a game based on the whole concept because people were playing that one single track online for years.

I remember playing Destruction Derby 2 and this one track having these raised sections before a huge jump so your car didn't just get launched but took flight at an angle and would corkscrew through the air which was hilarious fun because all the AI racers and you would just be tumbling down in wrecks at the bottom and carrying on with your cars busted to get round again and do it once more. A demolition derby game that made more unrealistic and fun tracks like that to play with the physics would be such a blast.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the first gen elite definitely works with the series x. I had to do a hard restart on mine to get it to connect, but I also had to do that with the controller my series x shipped with too.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Still works. I did it like two weeks ago.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

SUNKOS posted:

This makes me miss the original GRID a lot. The brown/yellow filter was hideous but they had this one single demolition derby track and pretty much every single online lobby was just people playing that over and over because it was so entertaining. I can't believe that after how popular it was that Codemasters didn't lean into making a game based on the whole concept because people were playing that one single track online for years.

They did. Dirt Showdown.

Definitely a "you had to be there" component to it, but I am a huge fan of GRID 1.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
NBA 2K21 coming to Game Pass tomorrow, but I'm guessing it will be the standard One version, which is a shame. Apparently the Series version is pretty impressive visually.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

My patience paid off, squadrons on gamepass soon. Now I'll start that trial to get ahead start.

Football manager 21 is huge

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Speaking of Football Manager, what are some good manager/tycoon games for xbox right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Two point hospital is pretty chill, been playing it coop with my wife.