Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Totally would. Interior is not at all what I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I kinda love it

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

Totally would. Interior is not at all what I was expecting.

Ah, nice - they left the interior Grandma-fresh.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I swear I've seen that car before (almost definitely here). Is this the next "Powershift's old 540 which gets resold every 6 months"?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

https://hickory.craigslist.org/cto/d/hickory-honda-s2000/7276120212.html

I haven't seen one of these this low in years, I wish I had 13 grand. I already have an NC miata, but it's automatic and this is so much cooler.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Turbo Fondant posted:

I'd buy it. There's no PO surprises with a RK car, you know it was hacked to hell but you know exactly what they hacked and how/why.

You're in luck then.

There's also the Mustang drag car they bought and never used for sale too,

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

As Nero Danced posted:

https://hickory.craigslist.org/cto/d/hickory-honda-s2000/7276120212.html

I haven't seen one of these this low in years, I wish I had 13 grand. I already have an NC miata, but it's automatic and this is so much cooler.

Not gonna lie - I’d buy this in a heartbeat if I had space. Worst case, you resell it a year from now for the same.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

OK, I really love the humor of that not only wood *grain*, but wood *siding* stripe.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Some lovely cars in incredible condition locally

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/portland-1979-mercury-zepher-extra/7280252037.html

The Creamsicle interior kinda makes this one. They definitely miscounted the cylinders on that engine though

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/d/portland-1990-hyundai-excel-gs/7284959282.html

Even has the factory floor mats still

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yet more cases of rare =/ valuable.

$5K for a minty 79 Zephyr 2.3 is still a pipe dream, unless Mark Zuckerberg wants to buy the same car grandpa used to have or something. They might as well ask $20K for it. They're just as likely to get that much from anyone who would pay $5K.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Last time I saw a Zephyr that nice was when I sold my Z06 to a guy who had a pale blue one tucked behind his house with a gently caress-off-huge downpipe sticking out just in front of the front tire. Turbo LS swap. Thing was damned near invisible until he started it up.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You can swap an automatic 4g63 turbo into that Hyundai with factory engine mounts from Mitsubishi dealer. Just need a complete wire harness loom with ecu from the donor car. I've done it like 12 years ago, it was hilarious.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Since this thread likes my adventures in car buying I figured I would run this by everyone for feedback on how to proceed to get goon wisdom. I've got a Miata I'm putting together and I've found a seller on Facebook with a fender in the color I need. Our conversation thus far has been:

ME: Do you have a driver side fender in white for NB?
Seller: Yes
ME: You got a picture of the fender?
Seller: It’s the white car in the ad you responded to there’s a picture
ME: You talking about this photo?

ME: Or is there another photo where its not towards the back of the picture? I'm wanting to see how the fender meets up with the headlight.
Seller: I don’t have a photo like that the fenders are nice and straight
ME: A photo like this would be pretty good but I believe these are silver.

(This photo is in his same ad from another Miata part out.
ME: Can you get a photo like that?
Seller: Yeah I don’t have a photo like that. If you’re not near Atlanta I can’t help you with the fender anyway I don’t ship fenders
ME: I didn't say anything about shipping.
Seller: OK well I didn’t know where you’re from. As I said I have a pair of nice straight fenders from that car if you’re interested you’re welcome to come by and check them out.

So, how would you all proceed?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Depends how badly do you want the fender? If you want it pretty badly, make the trip and prepare to buy it. Otherwise, don't bother with anymore time. Seller obviously couldn't care less.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

IDK, that Zephyr might be worth something to a movie prop company?

It might come in handy if they ever do a GTA IV movie and need a taxi car for Cousin Roman

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 2, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coredump posted:

Depends on how far away the seller is and how bad you want a fender. If it's relatively close by just go look at it, if not get a fender from planet miata or some place that has better pictures

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Personally, I would have just asked for a close-up / detail shot back where you said "you got a picture of the fender" because your messages read as weirdly snippy. If I were selling the parts and not desperate for the money, I would've stopped talking to you already around that point.

It is weird that he started talking about shipping and where you're from, but you were most likely annoying him before that, so :shrug:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

super nailgun posted:

Some lovely cars in incredible condition locally

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/portland-1979-mercury-zepher-extra/7280252037.html

The Creamsicle interior kinda makes this one. They definitely miscounted the cylinders on that engine though

Burned my legs on those vinyl seats many times as a kid.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Personally, I would have just asked for a close-up / detail shot back where you said "you got a picture of the fender" because your messages read as weirdly snippy. If I were selling the parts and not desperate for the money, I would've stopped talking to you already around that point.

It is weird that he started talking about shipping and where you're from, but you were most likely annoying him before that, so :shrug:

Let me make sure I understand what you're saying correctly. By asking "You got a picture of the fender?" instead of "Can you give me a close-up / detailed shot?" would be enough of a faux pas for you to stop dealing with me?

Next question, when would you all discuss price? Would you all head over to the seller without knowing what he was asking for the fender or try to find out price before heading over there?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 3, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Krakkles posted:

Maybe slightly because you show him the pic from the back as an example of a lovely picture of a fender (you're not wrong). Just ask for a close up of the fender itself and ask the dude what he wants for it. If he decides you aren't worth taking a picture for then not much you can do about that. I don't think you've done anything wrong here really, dude just sounds like he's having a bad day.

Also how are you this loving bad at transactions? Don't negotiate before you see the item in person but you're entitled to know how much something is before making a trip.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Krakkles posted:

It's FB, they probably looked at his profile, saw he wasn't in the same area, and cut off any inevitable shipping questions ahead of time.

If you're a buyer on FB, you have to expect to be treated like an idiot because most buyers seem to ask stupid questions and end up flaking out anyway. You may be in the minority (or you may not be if you have a history of transactions gone wrong) but you shouldn't expect to get the benefit of the doubt.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

Also how are you this loving bad at transactions? Don't negotiate before you see the item in person but you're entitled to know how much something is before making a trip.

I just want to make sure people don't think I'm agreeing to a price and then trying to offer a different amount when I show up by asking what the price of the item is before I head over.

dphi posted:

It's FB, they probably looked at his profile, saw he wasn't in the same area, and cut off any inevitable shipping questions ahead of time.

I don't think this is the case as the seller is one town over.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 3, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tbh I get annoyed when people ask for more pictures of something. If you’re really interested you’ll come look at it in person and then make a decision.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Ask him how much he wants for it. If its too much, or he doesnt post suitable pics, or you dont like what you see in the close ups, dont make the drive. If it seems like a decent deal to you, drive out and try to negotiate a lower price if you want, but fully expect them to not budge on price.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

coredump aren't you the person that agrees on a price then shows up and offers less? Or am I remembering wrong

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DoubleT2172 posted:

coredump aren't you the person that agrees on a price then shows up and offers less? Or am I remembering wrong

Can you point me to what gave you this idea?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Coredump posted:

One thing that I've had happen to me here recently is sellers who absolutely will not budge on parts prices. One guy was selling core support for $175 offered $160 wouldn't take. And just this weekend had a guy who wouldn't take $120 on a $125 rear bumper cover. I'm there in person with cash in hand and wouldn't take $120 from a $125 asking price. smh.

Coredump posted:

Since this thread likes my adventures in car buying I figured I would run this by everyone for feedback on how to proceed to get goon wisdom. I've got a Miata I'm putting together and I've found a seller on Facebook with a fender in the color I need. Our conversation thus far has been:

ME: Do you have a driver side fender in white for NB?
Seller: Yes
ME: You got a picture of the fender?
Seller: It’s the white car in the ad you responded to there’s a picture
ME: You talking about this photo?

ME: Or is there another photo where its not towards the back of the picture? I'm wanting to see how the fender meets up with the headlight.
Seller: I don’t have a photo like that the fenders are nice and straight
ME: A photo like this would be pretty good but I believe these are silver.

(This photo is in his same ad from another Miata part out.
ME: Can you get a photo like that?
Seller: Yeah I don’t have a photo like that. If you’re not near Atlanta I can’t help you with the fender anyway I don’t ship fenders
ME: I didn't say anything about shipping.
Seller: OK well I didn’t know where you’re from. As I said I have a pair of nice straight fenders from that car if you’re interested you’re welcome to come by and check them out.

Maybe buying used parts from people isn't for you.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Don't you think that's why I'm conferring with this thread before hand?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Coredump posted:

One thing that I've had happen to me here recently is sellers who absolutely will not budge on parts prices. One guy was selling core support for $175 offered $160 wouldn't take. And just this weekend had a guy who wouldn't take $120 on a $125 rear bumper cover. I'm there in person with cash in hand and wouldn't take $120 from a $125 asking price. smh.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It shouldn’t be difficult, if you’re interested in something someone is selling locally go see it in person and make an offer from there. Haggling and asking a bunch of questions over text/email is annoying and a waste of time.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DoubleT2172 this is the conversation with the guy with the front end.

quote:

Me: Do you still have that white front clip available?
Seller: Yes, I do!
Me: Cool. I'm interested but am about to head out the door. Will you be around later this evening to hash out details?
Seller: Yes, that's fine!
Me: Hey sorry about the delay. I went looking for this conversation in my messenger and didn't see. I got your post saved now. Would you be available Saturday for me to get that front end?
Seller: No worries, and that would be a good day.
Me: Ok cool. Would you take $150 for the front end?
Seller: I can't as it is already a good price on it.
Me: $150 and I'll come to you to get it.
Seller: That was already expected of you, as I only have a Miata.
Me: Alright no problem. I'll keep looking for a bit. If you change your mind let me know and I'll take it off your hands.
Seller: I'm in no rush, good luck.

Little while later:
Me: Hey you still got that front clip frame?
Seller: Yes, I do
Me: Would you be around today for me to pick up the part?
Seller: Yes, I will be
Me: Cool cool. Would you take $160 for it?
Seller: I'm firm on the price
Me: Alright then I'll do $175. Where can I go to get the frame?
Seller: Sounds good. I'm in Covington, and it is at my buddy's shop.

That's the conversation copy and pasted from Facebook. Where do you get the idea I agreed on a price and then showed up and offered less?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It shouldn’t be difficult, if you’re interested in something someone is selling locally go see it in person and make an offer from there. Haggling and asking a bunch of questions over text/email is annoying and a waste of time.

I see. I was just wanting to see if the fender was better than what I had before I went over there. Pandemic and all I want to limit face to face meetings as much as possible. I wear a mask regardless but other people usually don't.

GOD IS BED posted:

Ask him how much he wants for it. If its too much, or he doesnt post suitable pics, or you dont like what you see in the close ups, dont make the drive. If it seems like a decent deal to you, drive out and try to negotiate a lower price if you want, but fully expect them to not budge on price.

Right right. With the guy with the bumper cover I tried to go about it like this:

quote:

Me: Rear bumper in white for 2004 NB?
Seller: Yes I have one. Are you near Atlanta?
Me: In TOWN
Seller: Yes I have a good white rear bumper, other white parts as well
Me: How much you want for the bumper?
Seller: 125
Me: Ok. You around this weekend?
Seller: I’m around most days
Me: Ok Ill message you Saturday and see if we can arrange a time. You got any more pics of the bumper?
Seller: No but it’s in good shape. Just message when you’re ready to come out whatever day that may be And we’ll go from there
Me: ok sounds like a plan

So maybe me saying "ok" could be interpreted as agreeing to the price but I was just trying to acknowledge that I understood that's where he was on price. I'm open to suggestions on how I could have responded better than that.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 3, 2021

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Craigslist Fools Gold - Help Coredump communicate

Couldn't help myself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coredump posted:

I see. I was just wanting to see if the fender was better than what I had before I went over there. Pandemic and all I want to limit face to face meetings as much as possible. I wear a mask regardless but other people usually don't.

You gotta look at it from the seller's perspective as well, as a seller I've had countless people ask me tons of questions, ask for more pictures and then make a lowball offer without even seeing the item in person. So now I don't do more pictures anymore, if they want to ask more questions and see more detail it needs to be seen in person, and if they're not willing to do that then they don't really want the item all the bad to begin with so I dismiss them.

The pandemic is not a big deal, you're dealing with one other person usually, wear your mask and keep your distance and you'll be fine. I've sold a bunch of poo poo since the pandemic started and I haven't had any issues at all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Eh, if there were decent pictures in the first place then that's one thing. But yeah man it's really not that complicated doing craigslist or marketplace meetups. Here are my tips for you:

1. Get all the questions you want to know answered about the item. Make sure to read description thoroughly and not ask dipshit questions already answered.
2. Ask about price if not listed and then if they're negotiable or not.
3. Meet up some place in public like a gas station or police station, whatever is convenient.
4. Look over item and if it's what was described, pay the money or try to haggle if they said they were negotiable.
5. Leave.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think the chat log is perfectly reasonable. But the way you described it to us originally was less informative?

I look forward to an update, where you drive out there with $120 in cash and get punched in the face.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Was CoreDump also the goon that got two potential buyers to look at his car for sale at the same time and got into a physical fight with one of them and then ended up getting (briefly) arrested or am I thinking of someone else?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You're thinking of Coredump, yes.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Now that's The Art of the Deal™

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Eh, if there were decent pictures in the first place then that's one thing.

I used to be a photographer for a living. I usually take pics with an SLR and wide angle lens especially for the interior shots of cars.

For cars I'll post 4 close up exterior pics from each angle in good light (dusk or dawn), a few interior pics and an engine pic, so about 8 or 9 total that are wide and detailed.

And I'll still get "got any more pics?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

Was CoreDump also the goon that got two potential buyers to look at his car for sale at the same time and got into a physical fight with one of them and then ended up getting (briefly) arrested or am I thinking of someone else?
Not arrested, just told to sit on the sidewalk. The other guy got arrested. My victim's advocate hosed the case though.

DoubleT2172 posted:

Now that's The Art of the Deal™
Did what I provide answer your question from earlier?

Nitrox posted:

I think the chat log is perfectly reasonable. But the way you described it to us originally was less informative?
I look forward to an update, where you drive out there with $120 in cash and get punched in the face.
I was wondering when you would reply. The way I described it matches up with exactly what's in the chat log. Did anything I say about those conversations jar with the actual content of the conversations? More than one goon asked me, "aren't you the person that agrees on a price then shows up and offers less?". I still don't know where people got that idea when every time I told them that wasn't the case and I had to post the actual chat logs to get it through.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 3, 2021