Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mordiceius posted:

So my mom’s 60th birthday is coming up. And she loves video games, so I got her a Switch and Breath of the Wild. I just FaceTimed her while she opened it and her reaction was basically like those home videos of kids losing their mind opening a Christmas present.

Mordiceius posted:

She had a 360 and currently has a PS4. She recently played Immortals: Fenyx Rising, so I figured she had to play the game it was copying.

I wrapped the game and console separately and had her open the game first. Her jaw dropped as she realized what was happening.

“This can play that game with the animals too, right? I keep seeing trailers for that.”

It was the purest loving thing. Her reaction meant a lot to me too. She got me Nintendo consoles when I was a kid, and now I’m finally at a financial place where I can do the same for her.
Aww :3:

Happy birthday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know where else to say this and it was a Nintendo exclusive game so :justpost:

Golden Sun is just okay at best and my irl friend group needs to get that poo poo off a pedestal because it isn't even the best jrpg on GBA

It also isn't better than any Dragon Quest

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

RCarr posted:

So my wife who’s never really been into video games besides playing for 10 minutes once every couple months before losing interest, is absolutely in love with Animal Crossing, New Horizons.

So much so that I bought a ACNH special edition Switch for her birthday this year. My question is:
Is there a way for me to transfer over her island from my Switch to her new one? Or will she have to start from scratch?

You do have a few options, but she might want to start over from scratch, and might want to take advantage of having two islands.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Len posted:

I don't know where else to say this and it was a Nintendo exclusive game so :justpost:

Golden Sun is just okay at best and my irl friend group needs to get that poo poo off a pedestal because it isn't even the best jrpg on GBA

It also isn't better than any Dragon Quest

It got a lot of attention at the time because it was one of the first big RPGs for the GBA, published by Nintendo and developed by Camelot who did all the Shining games for Sega. I’ve never played it but its reputation seems to have waned over the years

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow, Great Faerie might be the worst playable character I've seen in a Warriors game lol

Do the different versions of weapons in AoC have any purpose other than cosmetic? Apart from Link's obviously.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It got a lot of attention at the time because it was one of the first big RPGs for the GBA, published by Nintendo and developed by Camelot who did all the Shining games for Sega. I’ve never played it but its reputation seems to have waned over the years

I liked it back in 2001 or 2 when I played it but every time I try to play it since it's just real boring and not worth my time and that is a Big Deal in my social group

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
"Golden Sun isn't that great" isn't an especially hot take, it was interesting for the time but the characterization and writing aren't super great looking back.

I wanted to pick up the 3rd game for a while after I was finally able to find a copy of the 2nd and beat it but apparently it was so bad it killed the series.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow, Great Faerie might be the worst playable character I've seen in a Warriors game lol

Do the different versions of weapons in AoC have any purpose other than cosmetic? Apart from Link's obviously.

Great Fairy is actually really good in AoC, especially in postgame when she gets a stackable defense debuff that completely breaks the game. (She’s good without it too, the debuff just brings her from solid mid-tier to god-tier). It’s a great change from the original Hyrule Warriors, where she was the worst character by a wide margin.

Different weapon models have different stats and innate skills once you level them up enough, but it’s just a progression thing where higher tier weapons are strictly better so you never need to think about it beyond picking the weapon with the highest level 1 stats and leveling it up. They muddy it a bit by making the champions start with special copies of the tier 3 weapons that have stats similar to a tier 1 weapon, but you’ll end up replacing those before long.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Len posted:

I liked it back in 2001 or 2 when I played it but every time I try to play it since it's just real boring and not worth my time and that is a Big Deal in my social group

Same it was my first RPG besides Pokemon and I liked it until I found better RPGs. The graphics and music are nice but holy poo poo is it boring in retrospect. Like I have a bit of nostalgia for it and I appreciate the introduction to the genre I guess? But I'm never gonna play it again when I could play a good game instead

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

dracky posted:

Same it was my first RPG besides Pokemon and I liked it until I found better RPGs. The graphics and music are nice but holy poo poo is it boring in retrospect. Like I have a bit of nostalgia for it and I appreciate the introduction to the genre I guess? But I'm never gonna play it again when I could play a good game instead

It has more customization than any Dragon Quest i have been assured

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Len posted:

You might want to try Dragon Quest 9 for the DS then.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

American McGay posted:

She can transfer her island to the new Switch but only if she's using your account for the Switch, which might be problematic if she wants to expand into more stuff eventually.

If you fully expect her just to use it as an Animal Crossing device then the transfer should work fine.

Yea for now that’s all I foresee. I can anyways change it up down the line, right?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

RCarr posted:

Yea for now that’s all I foresee. I can anyways change it up down the line, right?

Just use the app to transfer the animal crossing save. I think you can then assign her Nintendo account to that save instead of using your account.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Len posted:

The class system in Golden Sun is slightly interesting but it would be more so if the game actually made you engage with it. As it is you can beat the game and every optional boss by just using the "give djinn to characters with matching element" so there's little reason to experiment and play around with it aside from speed/challenge runs, and that one part in the first game where you have to make a vine grow to get a chest.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Wildtortilla posted:

get this game I'll probably never play.

Sounds like 99% of the games i get

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

All this talk about RPGs make me want Legend of Dragoon 2, but with music rhythm combos

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 3, 2021

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

She had a 360 and currently has a PS4. She recently played Immortals: Fenyx Rising, so I figured she had to play the game it was copying.

I wrapped the game and console separately and had her open the game first. Her jaw dropped as she realized what was happening.

“This can play that game with the animals too, right? I keep seeing trailers for that.”

It was the purest loving thing. Her reaction meant a lot to me too. She got me Nintendo consoles when I was a kid, and now I’m finally at a financial place where I can do the same for her.

This is so wholesome. Thank you for sharing.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
[ASK]me about playing Super Mario 3D World with severe joycon drift

I've made it all the way to flower world somehow

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Ugh the way the switch port of 3D world controls is bumming me out :(

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Odd Mutant posted:

Ugh the way the switch port of 3D world controls is bumming me out :(

What do you meme. Do you wish it were slower?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just walk more

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

cheeseboy58 posted:

What do you meme. Do you wish it were slower?

The game was designed with slower movement and 8 direction controls. They took the same levels but put faster moving characters can move in all directions. It's still doable, but a step back from the original. You kinda have to have played both to understand.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
For every forward press on the stick press back twice

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Not properly a Switch question (Wii U), but seems best place to ask:

In Windwaker HD, I'm at the very last step on this page https://www.zeldadungeon.net/the-wind-waker-walkthrough/dragon-roost-island/

However, jump and throw are both the same button, so I can't seem to jump across to the fallen statue without chucking the bomb flower first. Is there a way to re-bind it or something?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

eh? in 3d Zelda you jump automatically by running off the edge of a platform

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Dabir posted:

eh? in 3d Zelda you jump automatically by running off the edge of a platform

Yep. Wind Waker has no jump button.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

One question though. I played one level of Mario 3D World, and about 15 minutes of Link's Awakening, and when I took my Switch out to go to sleep it felt like I'd pulled it out of an oven. Is this normal? It doesn't get anywhere near that hot when I play it handheld, even if I play it for hours at a time.
It can definitely get warm, although how warm you felt is the question. Did you hear the fan? If you didn't I guess it's either wasn't hot enough to get it going audibly...or maybe it's not working. (I'm speaking from experience with a launch Switch, the later revised ones should in theory run cooler)

Mordiceius posted:

Wholesome :love:

Also it'd be hilarious/awesome if she was referring to Monster Hunter Rise as the "game with the animals" :black101:

Waltzing Along posted:

The game was designed with slower movement and 8 direction controls. They took the same levels but put faster moving characters can move in all directions. It's still doable, but a step back from the original. You kinda have to have played both to understand.
8 direction movement still works the same from what I could tell, it's like free movement with 8 way locking at some point (when the run boosts?). The speedup has definitely messed with me, I like it but maybe it was a bit too much.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a switch I just bought two weeks ago and I played BOTW for a couple hours just now and took it out of the dock to see if it was super hot.

It was actually fairly cool to the touch.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I've never played any Dragon Quests but I have seen exactly one (1) video of the music being terrible oompah band poo poo so I feel completely confident in arbitrarily deciding Golden Sun was always better.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

jackhunter64 posted:

I've never played any Dragon Quests but I have seen exactly one (1) video of the music being terrible oompah band poo poo so I feel completely confident in arbitrarily deciding Golden Sun was always better.

The music for the first 8 games are great. Especially 2-5 and 7. Everything since is like listening to someone whistle a song they barely remember

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

the movement is literally exactly the same apart from the speed increase, you're nuts

they did take away dpad controls but only weird people played with that. the stick still locks you into one of the eight directions with very generous angles. the original game also had "free" movement exactly like this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have played both and the control in the switch version is just tons tons better. You don't have to hold the run button literally all the time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have played both and the control in the switch version is just tons tons better. You don't have to hold the run button literally all the time.

But you should have to because that's the proper way to play timed Mario games

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm just looking forward to getting around to catching a speedrun of this version of 3d world because you just know that's gonna be wild to watch.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Waltzing Along posted:

I have played both i just dont see the issue. Maybe goons just dont know you dont have to run all the time

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Gave turok 2 a go, objectives being shown on screen is very good, being able to skip the intro is very good too. Got further in 10 minutes than ever as a kid.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

It was actually fairly cool to the touch.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

cheeseboy58 posted:

I have played both i just dont see the issue. Maybe goons just dont know you dont have to run all the time

Same here, and my pre-teen children managed the Switch version just fine after having played the original too.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Nep-Nep posted:

I'm just looking forward to getting around to catching a speedrun of this version of 3d world because you just know that's gonna be wild to watch.

I'm interested to see how the Bowser's Fury routing turns out too. Lots of ridiculous movement stuff you can probably pull off with plessie + your choice of powerup + the propellor block. I just let Bowser Jr follow me around but I wonder if you can direct him to stuff and bounce off of him in unique ways too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

why wait when you could just watch this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sT4AFQUk_Y

it is a really cool run. very few things are tackled as intended but all the speed strats aren't boring or samey at all