Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The actual worst line of dialogue delivered in a Batman movie is from Batman's parting words to Gordon in Dark Knight Rises, and it's one that could easily have been fixed by cutting out a few words instead of letting it all jumble.

(Of course, that twitter thread asserts that, conversely, MCU characters talk like real people)

Conversely, Nolan understands Batman is an idiot man child and has him deliver lines exactly as you'd expect. Not a mistake he didn't ever have sex till Talia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's always struck me as an extremely awkward line. I like that Batman's bat voice is useless for conversation. It's only really good for snarling one liners. It totally fits.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

hump day bitches! posted:

That creepy laugh when Clark tells him he’s going to learn how to lose is fantastic. The second half of the movie when he’s red,mad and doesn’t care anymore about presenting a facade is great.

I really love "Now God is good... as dead!"

Also a line to Batman which I didn't notice until I watched the ultimate edition with subs: "This is how it all caves in... civilisation on the Wayne, Manors out the window..." he's such a smartass

E: the last line to Gordon in Dark Knight Rises is kind of crappy, but I like the fact that Gordon has an instant flashback to giving young Bruce his coat; it suggests that was an important event in his life as well

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

2house2fly posted:

I had a laugh at this one:

https://twitter.com/Struggler2Dark/status/1366196519850946560

yeah man the demigod from outer space doesn't talk like a normal person. good catch.

Figurative language, what’s that???

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I absolutely love Eisenberg's Luthor. It's impressive how he and Affleck seriously commit to their weird, inaccessible characters.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

pospysyl posted:

I absolutely love Eisenberg's Luthor. It's impressive how he and Affleck seriously commit to their weird, inaccessible characters.

As another reason films are wasted on film twitter, the consensus is that they 'just tried to make him the joker' and I can't tell which character they misunderstood worse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowman_McK posted:

As another reason films are wasted on film twitter, the consensus is that they 'just tried to make him the joker' and I can't tell which character they misunderstood worse.

I recall that being a lot of my friends' issue with him and I assure you they don't know or care about "film Twitter"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I recall that being a lot of my friends' issue with him and I assure you they don't know or care about "film Twitter"

Okay. What would you like me to do with this information?

Actually, maybe you can tell us, which character did they misunderstand worse?

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 3, 2021

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

edit I can't read

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably nothing. They probably they’re just adding to the discussion that not everything is about film twitter

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"I didn't like how they made Lex an annoying prick" is more sympathetic to me than the complaints about Supes' and Bats' characters, honestly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snowman_McK posted:

If they're talking about Heath Ledger I can see what they mean, the second half of Dark Knight is all him conducting insane social experiments to prove a point.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If they're talking about Heath Ledger I can see what they mean, the second half of Dark Knight is all him conducting insane social experiments to prove a point.

The primary difference is that Ledger is repeatedly shown to be right, while Lex is definitively wrong.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Kazzah posted:

"I didn't like how they made Lex an annoying prick" is more sympathetic to me than the complaints about Supes' and Bats' characters, honestly.

Sure, "the character annoyed me" is a fair reason to not like a movie. My issue with that particular criticism though is that Lex rocks

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Well Ledger's Joker is good at sowing chaos, but it turns out that his theories on people's innate badness are totally wrong.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CelticPredator posted:

Probably nothing. They probably they’re just adding to the discussion that not everything is about film twitter

This, but to answer their second question, Beavis Lex

Snowman_McK posted:

The primary difference is that Ledger is repeatedly shown to be right, while Lex is definitively wrong.

It's been a while but isn't the climax of the film that he's dumb and wrong except for like one lovely rear end in a top hat who Tom Lister Jr. shuts down?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well Ledger's Joker is good at sowing chaos, but it turns out that his theories on people's innate badness are totally wrong.

The "Citizens of Gotham" were totally willing to destroy the criminals though. He's half right in that it doesn't take much for "good" people to descend into darkness, especially if they feel that doing evil still makes them morally right, but he fails to understand that people who have been condemned as "evil" still have the capacity to do good.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Not really. More of his plans worked than didn't and the only reason the last one didn't was because of one guy who didn't pull a trigger that he absolutely thought should be pulled. He thought it should happen, but didn't want to be the one to do it. Tiny Lister's character was the only one on screen who outright rejected the proposal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowman_McK posted:

Not really. More of his plans worked than didn't and the only reason the last one didn't was because of one guy who didn't pull a trigger that he absolutely thought should be pulled. He thought it should happen, but didn't want to be the one to do it. Tiny Lister's character was the only one on screen who outright rejected the proposal.

In the end, the Joker proved we live in a society

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

I think everyone in the other ferry did too? I don't remember very well, sorry. It's been a long time.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Anyone could have taken that trigger off the dude and done it. But I guess it proved the Joker's point by making them directly culpable in stuff they're indirectly culpable in usually.

General Zod posted:

You won't kill us yourself! You wouldn't sully your hands! But you'll drat us to a black hole for eternity!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I mean there are really clear parallels in how the villains are used.

In The Dark Knight and BvS, both villains have pretty parallel plans of trapping the hero in a sort of gordian knot. Batman can't truly win because his victory institutionalizes his brand of authoritarian vigilantism in Gotham. Superman is offered the paradox that either he kills Batman and is thusly not truly good or Batman kills him and is thusly not powerful. Both heroes ultimately win over the villain by sacrificing themselves--Batman's reputation and Superman's life, winning by taking part in an action that the villain couldn't imagine someone doing.

Luthor is also redrafted from his traditional post 80s role as the King of Metropolis into not just a more subversive figure who is injecting himself into systems of power similar to the Joker with those who write him off facing dire consequences.

I don't mind Eisenberg Luthor, but I also don't think it really hits Evil(er) Mark Zuckerberg and it's a bit of a waste of the take.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

Superman is offered the paradox that either he kills Batman and is thusly not truly good

Even maniacal Luthor thinks Superman killing Zod was right, just, and necessary and isn’t a blemish on his record. :colbert:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Film twitter" having the exact same opinion as any random average person is actually a pretty good synopsis of the problems with "film twitter" (i.e. despite talking a big game, they aren't any more insightful or observant than anyone else)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think everyone in the other ferry did too? I don't remember very well, sorry. It's been a long time.

Nah, neither ferry didn't. The non prison one didn't, and if everyone doesn't collectively do it on the prison, even if Zeus took over and made the final call, it proves him wrong.

That's why the Joker was like "okay, well, I'll blow them up and keep going."

I mean, the entire point of the Joker was that he was a giant liar just starting stuff because he wanted to see the world burn. Theres nothing he did in the movie that wasn't a lie?

He lied about not being a planner (opening scene)

He lied about his scars

He lied about who was at each bomb site

He lied about offering himself up in letting Dent kill him ( he was literally where he could stop the gun from shooting)

He didn't have an ideology besides letting the world burn.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

What are the odds that the detonators he gave them would have actually blown up the boat of the person who pressed it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

"Film twitter" having the exact same opinion as any random average person is actually a pretty good synopsis of the problems with "film twitter" (i.e. despite talking a big game, they aren't any more insightful or observant than anyone else)

I mean, a big part of the recent hubbub over the WandaVision line were film Twitter people explicitly rejecting the idea of criticism entirely.

2house2fly posted:

What are the odds that the detonators he gave them would have actually blown up the boat of the person who pressed it

This is what I always assumed, too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

2house2fly posted:

I actually thought about this at the time. I told my friend "I would be telling everyone on that boat that if they pressed that button there's a great chance they blow themselves up, it's the Joker baby!!!!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

2house2fly posted:

Actually they would have blown up The Joker cause he is just that crazy

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

They took a vote and a majority of people were fine with the idea of the trigger being pulled.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

They took a vote and a majority of people were fine with the idea of the trigger being pulled.
The Joker's whole thing is when the chips are down, people will rip each other apart. The people on the boat obviously aren't perfect people But when it came down to it, when he had the remote in his hand, when he seconds away from blowing up, he couldn't do it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People fall into the trap of the expository dialogue, when the basic point of the boat scene is to confront people with all that mass incarceration going on.

The Joker doesn't actually care what the individual people do, but he does roll his eyes when nutty Bruce Wayne says "people are ready to believe in good" - because that's straight-up Harvey Dent's campaign slogan.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Is there anyone here who loved the Dark Knight trilogy but at one point it sort of just clicked they hated the last two? I don’t have any sort of revelatory message - just something about the films comes together into seeming off and wrong. Most of the characters and actors are good but put together I just do not like what they’re trying to say, or even the action sequences, or whatever message it’s trying to sell. Even so I still like Bale Batman

Batman begins is still brilliant however.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

Is there anyone here who loved the Dark Knight trilogy but at one point it sort of just clicked they hated the last two? I don’t have any sort of revelatory message - just something about the films comes together into seeming off and wrong. Most of the characters and actors are good but put together I just do not like what they’re trying to say, or even the action sequences, or whatever message it’s trying to sell. Even so I still like Bale Batman

Batman begins is still brilliant however.

I think TDKR is the best, as it's all about honoring and merging all aspects of the character and giving him a send-off. The story is a mix of 5 classic Batman comic runs, and the movie contains pieces of the Animated Series, Adam West, etc. Blake merges multiple aspects of Robin's into one, so on and so forth. It also has the best score, and the climbing out of a Lazarus Pit scene is definitely the best sequence in all three films.

Dark Knight is definitely the weakest, but its also the least comic booky, which is probably why it is. Begins and Rises wear it on their sleeves I'm a way the middle one doesn't.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Darko posted:

I think TDKR is the best, as it's all about honoring and merging all aspects of the character and giving him a send-off. The story is a mix of 5 classic Batman comic runs, and the movie contains pieces of the Animated Series, Adam West, etc. Blake merges multiple aspects of Robin's into one, so on and so forth. It also has the best score, and the climbing out of a Lazarus Pit scene is definitely the best sequence in all three films.

Dark Knight is definitely the weakest, but its also the least comic booky, which is probably why it is. Begins and Rises wear it on their sleeves I'm a way the middle one doesn't.

I agree about TDKR, it's also my favorite for all the reasons you posted (especially the climb scene and the score), and I love the operatic melodrama of it. I think there's something to why people who like TDKR also seem to like BvS.

I also think TDKR does something that few ending parts of a trilogy do - it very much feels as much of a sequel to Batman Begins as it does a sequel to TDK, and I think that's rare for a third part of a trilogy. Bane is clearly "what if Bruce Wayne had agreed to kill the peasant in BB" and I'm still certain that Nolan chose Bane as the villain for the third part because he name is a phonetic contraction of Bruce Wayne, and worked backwards from that.

TDK is still my second favorite but I do think the last third or so of the movie is weighed down a bit in a way the first chunk isn't (and in a way that BB isn't, either).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Dark Knight is my favourite, I think because it's the least comic-booky. I was never into them, but I like the idea of trying to do a deadly-serious melodramatic political crime drama about Batman and the Joker, who I knew of from silly cartoons and a comedy movie from the 60s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chairman Capone posted:

I agree about TDKR, it's also my favorite for all the reasons you posted (especially the climb scene and the score), and I love the operatic melodrama of it. I think there's something to why people who like TDKR also seem to like BvS.

I also think TDKR does something that few ending parts of a trilogy do - it very much feels as much of a sequel to Batman Begins as it does a sequel to TDK, and I think that's rare for a third part of a trilogy. Bane is clearly "what if Bruce Wayne had agreed to kill the peasant in BB" and I'm still certain that Nolan chose Bane as the villain for the third part because he name is a phonetic contraction of Bruce Wayne, and worked backwards from that.

TDK is still my second favorite but I do think the last third or so of the movie is weighed down a bit in a way the first chunk isn't (and in a way that BB isn't, either).

Yeah, it's an interesting choice given TDK kinda blew Batman Begins out of the water impact wise. Heath Ledger's passing, as much as I hate to say it, might have contributed there too, since it made his Joker a very definite one-and-done.

ed: vvv I mean more in that TDKR couldn't use the Joker at all, so it may have been forced to follow up more on Begins than it otherwise might have.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 3, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like Ledger's performance was going to be huge regardless of whether he died or not. It really is that good. I don't think you can overhype it, it's one of the best ever, in any genre. That's why it's hard for me to say that TDK isn't the best of the trilogy, the other two don't have anything even close to what Ledger did there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1366561575793012736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Will it have drums?