Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Washington Post reads this thread and wrote an article on Defector's finances:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...0358_story.html

Highlights: The 20ish staffers make a minimum of $50,000
The founders got a 5% stake, new hires get a smaller stake, but an equal vote in major decisions. A 2/3 vote by the staff remove Lay as EIC.
Subscriptions are the only revenue at this time

PotatoJudge fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

PotatoJudge posted:

Subscriptions are the only revenue at this time

Huh? They used to have warby parker ads, and I thought the podcasts have ads too but those might just be direct to the hosts or something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The podcast definitely has ads, and it's also part of stitcher's premium service which I would assume they get something for. But yeah I guess maybe it all goes to Magary and Roth

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Margaret Sullivan being a goon would be loving hilarious and great.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i listened to the bill simmons/koc podcast where they discussed their all star picks as part of my campaign to know which media members are zach-positive and which must be destroyed and bill talked for 15 minutes about how he likes ben simmons because he plays basketball like his daughter plays soccer which is informed by the behavior of his dead dog rufus.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It should be pointed out that some random dude who was browsing YouTube for Mariners content came across the video that eventually took down the team president:

https://twitter.com/SeattleSunDvl/status/1363963066547720192?s=19

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
FWIW at least on the tech side, 20-30% is closer than than 2x for calculating benefits. so 20 employees at 70k salary and 15k benefits/etc. for 85k fully burdened is 1.7m. Based on their sub numbers, adding in nominal hosting spend and a CMS and billing and etc, i think 2.3m is very feasible for them to be slightly profitable and hiring a couple folks.

here's to hoping! it's great to see Laura Wagner join too

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/slaternfl/status/1366456347848552449?s=21

https://twitter.com/limitlessjest/status/1366464696249802754?s=21

Watching Jane Slater (as well as the countless other old guard journalists who defend the practice)get dunked on for this today has been highly entertaining.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
you can see she comes from a super rich family in like paragraph 2 of her wikipedia how is she surprised people are pointing that out lol

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
But don't you understand, she worked haaaaard. Who cares that she could only do what she did because her family had money, she did it so why can't other people?! Maybe if they wanted these jobs they should have been born to wealthier families.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There is nothing these types gate more than people pointing out they might have been helped by stuff beyond their control

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
That tweet sucks but I also wish I didn't have to read a million people dunking on her across like seven sites. I realize this is just because I read a lot of media criticism but still

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Would bet anything her college job was studying at a desk in a computer lab, occasionally putting more paper/toner in a printer.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

There is no NFL Combine this year, but the league needs to generate a distraction so that these reporters can stop spending time and effort on defending unpaid internships. Make the Seahawks trade Russell Wilson or something.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Schremp Howard posted:

https://twitter.com/slaternfl/status/1366456347848552449?s=21

https://twitter.com/limitlessjest/status/1366464696249802754?s=21

Watching Jane Slater (as well as the countless other old guard journalists who defend the practice)get dunked on for this today has been highly entertaining.

Something about "my grandfather didn't have a degree but he made Wolf Brand Chili the OFFICIAL BOWL OF TEXAS" as an origin story is hilarious to me.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/emilymkaplan/status/1366375571933040641

hopefully ESPN will do a nice piece on the work of Curt Schilling next!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/emilymkaplan/status/1366375571933040641

hopefully ESPN will do a nice piece on the work of Curt Schilling next!

Fleury has said some ugly poo poo, but that's an unfair comparison in the sense that Fleury has actually done a lot work on behalf of abuse victims.

Schilling just complains a lot.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Fleury was sexually abused as a young man and it drove him into a deep pit of despair and depression which arguably led him to many of the issues he is known for.

Schilling just became a psycho right wing MAGA freak on his own accord.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Fleury shouldn't get a pass for promoting white supremacist conspiracy theories just because of his horrific past.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Comparing Fleury to Schilling is apples and oranges. It's not that hard to acknowledge Fleury's problems while also recognizing his efforts towards mental health.

E: And no that doesn't excuse Fleury's problems, before someone tries to say I'm dismissing those.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 3, 2021

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Except that article does not acknowledge any of what makes Fleury super problematic. It promotes his new podcast about current events but fails to mention that he's promoting horrible things when talking about current events.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Fridays at 5 Central the Defector crew plays trivia where someone on staff comes up with 10 categories, 5 questions each. I should start making it my switch to go full weekend mode, because it’s pretty drat delightful. Categories from yesterday I can remember are “Let’s remember some Guys” (famous people named Guy) and “stick to sports” where the clue is a Defector article, and the answer is the most popular comment given as a pun on “stick to sports.”

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
They do some other stuff on their Twitch too sometimes. Last week Luis and Samer played this incredibly bad PS2 Sopranos game and it was a more compelling watch than it had any right to be.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

hcreight posted:

They do some other stuff on their Twitch too sometimes. Last week Luis and Samer played this incredibly bad PS2 Sopranos game and it was a more compelling watch than it had any right to be.

This sounds like Gaming Garbage but not incredibly annoying.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean there a ton of gaming streamers like that.

I think it might be the majority of streamers at this point

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the modern market landscape requires entertainers to cut off little pieces of their personality to sell people in order to make people engage in a parasocial relationship that engenders consumer loyalty

there is no reason for a journalist of any stripe much less a sports/entertainment journalist to be required to produce additional mundane video content, and yet

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

the modern market landscape requires entertainers to cut off little pieces of their personality to sell people in order to make people engage in a parasocial relationship that engenders consumer loyalty

there is no reason for a journalist of any stripe much less a sports/entertainment journalist to be required to produce additional mundane video content, and yet

i mean they own the company no one is forcing them to do this. they're hanging out with their friends playing a video game which I assume is a thing they do anything, good for them it they can also monetize it

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

seems like there's a ton of people leaving the ringer again, simmons is going to need to either have more nephews or put out a recruiting campaign to find people he can pay $13 per hour to crank out 8 blog posts a day about something called "wanda vision"

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

R.D. Mangles posted:

seems like there's a ton of people leaving the ringer again, simmons is going to need to either have more nephews or put out a recruiting campaign to find people he can pay $13 per hour to crank out 8 blog posts a day about something called "wanda vision"

https://twitter.com/ryan_cortes/status/1367988107317030913?s=21

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
All the most recent exits feel like they're going out or their way not to thank Simmons when they do their big "thanks for everything" tweet too. The open mic night thing and being petty about the union feel like a real turning point in how his staff views him, not that it really matters for him at all, he's got that spotify money

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
What was the open mic thing

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Simmons defended hiring "names" to host Ringer podcasts instead of Ringer staffers because, "it's not open mic night" or words to that effect.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

howe_sam posted:

Simmons defended hiring "names" to host Ringer podcasts instead of Ringer staffers because, "it's not open mic night" or words to that effect.

I think it was in response to some staffers complaining publicly that the high profile podcasts like the rewatchables are basically always the same three guys (all in management) aside from the occasional big name outside guest rather than occasionally giving a shot to one of the lesser know members of the staff.

His response is of course insane given that he regularly gives a podcast to his daughter and gave like four to his college buddy whose most interesting quality is "will sometimes order a very large meal"

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 7, 2021

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

MourningView posted:

his college buddy whose most interesting quality is "will sometimes order a very large meal"

so what kind of nickname did this earn him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Aye Doc posted:

so what kind of nickname did this earn him

I meant house which I think is a real name but who knows maybe there is a wacky vegas story (did you know he invented the idea of going to Vegas with your friends???) involved

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Speaking of people who write for the Ringer:

https://twitter.com/nathanchubbard/status/1367955597560217601?s=21

At first I was annoyed when this was announced because there’s no one I would rather hear talk about Taylor Swift less than Simmons but then I saw it wasn’t actually him and I looked up the hosts and one of them is a Ringer staff writer who used to work for the Boston Globe which is whatever and the other is the former CEO of Ticketmaster, who is also a writer for The Ringer

Why is the former CEO of Ticketmaster writing for The Ringer?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

DC Murderverse posted:

Why is the former CEO of Ticketmaster writing for The Ringer?

Well, uh... It's not open mic night?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's been on the podcast before too. He's buddies with Bill and might have been an early investor in the site.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
One of the first articles on The Ringer was about how StubHub is bad written by the former Ticketmaster CEO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Looks like Ivan Maisel is writing for them now.