Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

My Lovely Horse posted:

There is also the Black Books episode where Fran goes on a date with a closeted gay man, which I think is fairly harmless by and large, but if you do find it distasteful I recommend watching it with the DVD commentary. Every time he's in a scene they start riffing on how bad they were at writing a gay character. There's one bit where you can practically hear Dylan Moran bury his head in his hands going "Jesus Christ" at how cliched it is :v:

Snuffbox commentary, Fulcher and Berry being sort of embarassed how cuss filled the dialogue is even for the programs style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I was making a nonsensical post comparing David Walliam's Spaced character and the gay producer character in Extras that ruins Andy's sitcom, but it wasn't going anywhere so thanks for mentioning snuff box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpJe2ztE41s

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sliding out like one of Fulchers characters after a botched operation.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Very few sitcoms will stand the test of time.
There will be something that future people will see as wrong that we see as ok or normal now.
Just some age faster than others.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
One that I'm on the fence about, and think about quite often is Fawlty Towers - in particular how "he's from Barcelona" is often trotted out as an apology for Manuel's incompetence. I've always though of Manuel as being uniquely useless, and Basil being the only person desperate or cheap enough to look past that and hire him - so that the joke in "he's from Barcelona" becomes the feebleness of the excuse being offered. But am I the one making feeble excuses instead? Surely at least some of the original audience for the show would have taken it at face value..

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Started watching Behind Her Eyes. After three episodes, I'm both intrigued and annoyed with it. It's like a strange combination of an early 90s soap opera and a late 90s thriller, but with modern cinematography. Not sure what to make of it, but it's gripping enough for me to finish it, I reckon.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Pottery Throwdown spoiler: don't gently caress with the shape of the pots

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Squishy posted:

Yeah that was harsh. Appropriate, but harsh.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Heavy_D posted:

One that I'm on the fence about, and think about quite often is Fawlty Towers - in particular how "he's from Barcelona" is often trotted out as an apology for Manuel's incompetence. I've always though of Manuel as being uniquely useless, and Basil being the only person desperate or cheap enough to look past that and hire him - so that the joke in "he's from Barcelona" becomes the feebleness of the excuse being offered. But am I the one making feeble excuses instead? Surely at least some of the original audience for the show would have taken it at face value..

It sort of fits the time as there was a trope of foreign waiters like this. This was the time when people were going for cheap package holidays and shouting in english for directions to the beach or the local pub.
And then considering the locals as thick or slow for not knowing the Queen's English. GARLIC BREAD. GARLIC. BREAD.
They sort of did the same with the spanish waiters in Duty Free.

Hitting Manuel is far worse.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Paladinus posted:

Started watching Behind Her Eyes. It's like a strange combination of an early 90s soap opera and a late 90s thriller, but with modern cinematography.

Yeah, it’s definitely a weird one. Just finished it, and it’s worth it just for the discussion of the ending with whoever you’re with. I called it at the start of the last episode.

It struck me that Adele’s voice sounds oddly similar to Eva Green’s, at least in all the present day scenes. And then looking at IMDb, they were in a film together a little while ago.

I’ve no idea what accent I’d expect Bono’s daughter to have in real life.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Alon might have at least made an argument with loving with the shape of the pots if his art design had been top tier acoma decoration. Alas it was ultra weak poo poo – I might go so far as to say it was the worse decoration of the series. Alon Partridge finally flew too close to the sun on too many times.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I’ve only ever seen her in The Knick with her southern drawl and she gets to inject heroin in that too.

Edit: yes, this is a good idea for everyone vvv

thehustler fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 1, 2021

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

wooger posted:

Posh Irish with a hint of American accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mduxV8zi-Nk

thehustler posted:

I’ve only ever seen her in The Knick with her southern drawl and she gets to inject heroin in that too.

The Knick was great.

Aside from the anachronistic music and Clive Owen "Don Drapering" surgeries all the time, I loved it. Must rewatch it.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 1, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Hallo ayhm Bahno from da pap cansorts der :cool:

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
The Terror starts on BBC2 this Wednesday night at 9pm.

This show aired on AMC in the states and BT TV (??) over here way back in 2018. Presumably due to a lack of programming lined up the Beeb have bought it and are popping the whole first series onto iPlayer this Wednesday too.

It's a survival horror show about the lost Franklin expedition, based on Dan Simmons novel. The real expedition vanished attempting to find the Northwest Passafe through the Canadian archipelago in the 1840s. Simmons novel and the show fictionalise the story of the men on the ships, while adding in a creature inspired by Inuit mythology for a genre twist.

If you didn't catch it first time round, I'd hugely recommend it. It's got wonderful dialogue, an excellent atmosphere and the music is killer. Lots of top British talent, and I was surprised it got sent into the TV badlands when it first aired, but I'm glad it's getting another go round now.

Big recommendation.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

The Terror was absolutely fantastic, I second that recommendation. All round quality acting. Might do a rewatch myself

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Heavy_D posted:

We're supposed to see him as a dick and an idiot for being like that. As with anything though I'm sure there are people who think he's in the right but at least THEORETICALLY he's the baddie, not the one we're meant to root for.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/bbcpress/status/1366750423596597248

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I want to believe it will be for it's original purpose and not be a dumping ground for cheapo schlockumentaries and the same two seasons of Family Guy/American Dad.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I want to believe it will be for it's original purpose and not be a dumping ground for cheapo schlockumentaries and the same two seasons of Family Guy/American Dad.

Seems an odd time to add an extra channel at a time when the BBC are resorting to buying in old US tv to fill the schedules.

Does anyone under 70 still watch live TV?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Given that bbc4 is just an airing room for 50 year old documentaries, I can't imagine it will be good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
BBC three on from 3pm to 9pm, BBC four from 9pm to 3am.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

At the start of the show I jokingly said that if spoiler Sal spoiler went home we didn't have to watch it anymore. Now I'm in the doghouse for my creepy powers. You will be missed. Alon was a perfect anti-hero for the show. I love going from "that poo poo's never gonna work" to "I told you that poo poo's never gonna work" to "well consider me owned; that poo poo worked". Sometimes in a single episode.

Non-spoiler discussion: Those Acoma seed pots are definitely my bag. Everyone made such nice ones! I'm eyeing shelves in my house where I could put some.

Next week is Toilet Week! I think that's my favorite build of the series.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

wooger posted:

Yeah, it’s definitely a weird one. Just finished it, and it’s worth it just for the discussion of the ending with whoever you’re with. I called it at the start of the last episode.

It struck me that Adele’s voice sounds oddly similar to Eva Green’s, at least in all the present day scenes. And then looking at IMDb, they were in a film together a little while ago.

Finished it now. The last 30 minutes were the most eyeroll-inducing piece of modern television in my memory. I still appreciated the sheer audacity of it all to some extent. A tentative recommendation from me to anyone who's into schlocky psychological horror (with a touch of X-Files).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

wooger posted:

Seems an odd time to add an extra channel at a time when the BBC are resorting to buying in old US tv to fill the schedules.

Does anyone under 70 still watch live TV?

I know it's usual for us all to think this but loads of people still watch live TV. Most people in the country are old, so they're still doing things old people do.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Taear posted:

I know it's usual for us all to think this but loads of people still watch live TV. Most people in the country are old, so they're still doing things old people do.

And the demographic BBC3 is aimed at is how old?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I think people still watch broadcast TV when they put stuff on it that's good

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

crispix posted:

It feels like it's a really stark divide. Either you basically always do or you never do.
The exception is parents sometimes just putting whatever on for kids to watch instead of having to manually find something.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Maybe we're outliers, but my wife and I watch broadcast TV in the early evenings quite a lot.

This mainly because she's always too tired to watch the PRESTIGE DRAMAS that I want to watch during the week, so we end up with whatever's on 1,2,4, any of the 4 spin-offs, or Dave.

Masterchef's back tonight though, so that's us sorted for the next couple of months :D

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

crispix posted:

But if it’s not something that needs to be live (sport), no not really. The same programmes are available online sameday via some convenient app, sometimes simultaneously - so no reason to switch to broadcast even for event TV like the upcoming ‘line of duty’.

There are tv shows that we’ll watch, but 99 times out of 100 the scheduled time doesn’t fit with when we want to watch TV, and even during COVID I don’t plan my life around TV scheduling.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Taskmaster NZ has been confirmed for another series.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
My partner got an online audience thing for the Gordon Ramsey quiz show thing on BBC1.

Done a few radio 4 ones which are live and have fun audience cheering and producer chat etc. But this was just a showing of a pre recorded show which I guess they might use the noise/ video from people’s cameras. Just a “please allow camera and microphone and wear headphones “ message and a pre recorded show.

Not actually watched a broadcast episode, it’s just a mad mess of backwards Jenga which makes very little sense.

Presume they were harvesting audience faces to edit in, but the show seemed completely shot. There weren’t any obvious edit points to put stuff in. Or any asking to re-record applause or anything .

Only indication it wasn’t an actual episode was”properly of Ramsey studios” written across the screen and a short intro producer video asking you to have fun and turn your web cam on.

Honestly just found the whole thing a bit pointless .

e: also it’s not a good show. The weird jenga rules could work, but Ramsey has no where near the charisma to carry off the “commenting on pointless game” which has been mastered by matey on tipping point.

He had some fun running thing slagging off the itv guy de campo or whatever he’s called, which was genuinely funny once but don’t think it worked as a running joke when you’re a celebrity chef hosting a game show.

Maybe get a cult following like golden balls, but not enough to it for prime time, not with Ramsay out of his depth

Ben Soosneb fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 7, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
There's a few of the Ramsey shows up on YT, just watched one of them.

It's a horribly fake glitterly designed set.
The premise is fine in theory, but it has some bullshit mechanics on it.
Like how if it a block tower falls over but not off table you still lose.

And Gordon sometimes looks likes hes watching a couple dogging when they are placing the blocks.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I don't think much of Ramsey but even so this new show is beneath him.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I think Jasper Carrott earned 10x more from his small stake in who wants to be a millionaire than he ever did as a comic, so producing one on the off chance it blows up makes a lot of sense.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Time to add another deck to the Pier..

https://twitter.com/Jake_Kanter/status/1369351821530107907

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

He got so mad at people being mean to the Queen he quit. Is that what actually happened?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mr. Squishy posted:

He got so mad at people being mean to the Queen he quit. Is that what actually happened?

Almost certainly he was asked to leave.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He stormed off set mid show because another presenter dared to disagree with his behaviour. He's a general liability who drew 41000 complaints in a day. Also he's a notorious oval office to everybody he works with. I'm amazed he lasted this long tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Probably going to walk onto a job on Andrew Neil's new British fox news style channel where he can complain about how cancelled and censored he is