Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I remember this.

It was similar to the grande/venti/medium/large situation at Starbucks only less pretentious and people got over it once they learned the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/CSM1ZEG.mp4

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I've seen this so many times and still have no idea where it's from...I assume a sketch comedy show from the late 2000s/early 90s?

Does remind me of this, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjK1aUU2Dx4

Edit: Whoa, it was directed by Spike Jonez.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought combo meals have existed way prior to the 80's. Maybe it was late 80's where the menus started prominently featuring them and numbering them?

Something that does bug me today though is a lot of restaurants don't list their full menu or everything you can buy individually. They'll display the combos without listening the sides you can get in place of fries and maybe the kids meals. Many have eliminated showing the value options even though they still exist. I know why they do this, but it's annoying.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Anyone have any idea what the gently caress this thing is?

Someone posted it on Reddit, says it's been in the back room of the music/video store where they work for 20+ years, it was originally part of a cardboard standee/display but no one remembers what for.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The 90s. That's what.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've seen this so many times and still have no idea where it's from...I assume a sketch comedy show from the late 2000s/early 90s?

Does remind me of this, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjK1aUU2Dx4

Edit: Whoa, it was directed by Spike Jonez.

It's only from about 6 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyd51lvu3xw

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Anyone have any idea what the gently caress this thing is?

Someone posted it on Reddit, says it's been in the back room of the music/video store where they work for 20+ years, it was originally part of a cardboard standee/display but no one remembers what for.

I tried an image search using same energy, and while it didn't turn up an exact match it did turn up this thing

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_id0l9lUeW/

So it is impossible to say if it is bad or good

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:hmmyes:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rewatching Daria and while a lot of its insights are evergreen, seeing all the retro tech is pretty great.

There's a moment where Daria takes the family's cordless phone up to her room and yells at them to hang up, only for them to yell back "you have the phone!" and it brought back memories I had completely forgotten.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

dialhforhero posted:

I remember this.

It was similar to the grande/venti/medium/large situation at Starbucks only less pretentious and people got over it once they learned the menu.

This one was always nutty and weird to me because I've never, in my 20+ coffee-drinking years, ever had a Starbucks barista ever object to my ordering a "large" or "medium" whatever. Unless it was more of a thing on the west coast, it was purely an objection to "Thing different".

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Neito posted:

This one was always nutty and weird to me because I've never, in my 20+ coffee-drinking years, ever had a Starbucks barista ever object to my ordering a "large" or "medium" whatever. Unless it was more of a thing on the west coast, it was purely an objection to "Thing different".

It never happened. It's something Boomers invented just to have something else to complain about.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I thought combo meals have existed way prior to the 80's. Maybe it was late 80's where the menus started prominently featuring them and numbering them?

Something that does bug me today though is a lot of restaurants don't list their full menu or everything you can buy individually. They'll display the combos without listening the sides you can get in place of fries and maybe the kids meals. Many have eliminated showing the value options even though they still exist. I know why they do this, but it's annoying.

The Extra Value Meals were introduced in 1991. They came out of the fast food pricing wars of the late 80's/ early 90's

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Latest Todd in the Shadows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JILcyYohljk
You lie to me! Yes I cry, yes i cry cry cry

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Rewatching Daria and while a lot of its insights are evergreen
Are they, though? I loved it as an angsty teen but rewatching it as an adult I found a lot of it really cringey. Like, look at the way Daria treats Kevin and Brittany: sure, they're dumb, but they're also perfectly nice to her. She turns against her best friend for the sins of 1. getting interested in something Daria can't do (track and field) and 2. meeting a guy she likes.
It's really very much that like episode of 30 Rock where Liz goes to her high school reunion intending to tell off / show up all the people who bullied her, only to find out that they saw her as the bully all along, and people only hated her because she treated everyone like poo poo.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

twistedmentat posted:

This was one of my favourite songs of the time, before I discovered Metallica.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Are they, though? I loved it as an angsty teen but rewatching it as an adult I found a lot of it really cringey. Like, look at the way Daria treats Kevin and Brittany: sure, they're dumb, but they're also perfectly nice to her. She turns against her best friend for the sins of 1. getting interested in something Daria can't do (track and field) and 2. meeting a guy she likes.
It's really very much that like episode of 30 Rock where Liz goes to her high school reunion intending to tell off / show up all the people who bullied her, only to find out that they saw her as the bully all along, and people only hated her because she treated everyone like poo poo.

lmfao and why doesn't anyone notice that Walter White isn't a nice guy?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

You seem to be confusing character flaws with the quality of the show itself

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Are they, though? I loved it as an angsty teen but rewatching it as an adult I found a lot of it really cringey.
That's the fun part about Daria. The 1st season or so it's all "gently caress yeah she's owning the gently caress out of suburbia and dumbass teens and useless teachers and sports losers!".

And along the way you realize things like Quinn is min-maxing her way through life because everyone will doubt she knows poo poo because she's pretty, that Jane isn't a misanthropic maladjusted hater, that the two black kids just need to get by this poo poo so they can go to college, and that despite Daria's intelligence, insight, wit and Good Will Hunting shtick, she's just a fallible as the rest of them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

twistedmentat posted:

It's weird, I've heard of this song, and I heard a lot of songs in its orbit, but I don't think I've ever actually heard the song itself before today. For me that space was occupied entirely by "This Is How We Do It".

He's totally right about those '90s drum sounds, they were the best.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I did not get the "daria sabotages her own happiness by being iconoclastic for the sake of iconoclasm" on the first watch because I was also a sullen youth.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's hints of it in the beginning, with her too cool attitude just falling apart when Trent is around with his "..... heeeeey Daaaaaria" :shlick:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I know Daria spun off from Beavis and Butthead, but was the show truly from Mike Judge or did he let others run with it?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
IIRC he had nothing to do with it other than creating the character.

I cracked up when they brought up Daria during a music video segment in the 2011 season and Beavis just thought that Daria killed herself.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

That episode where Daria leads an anti-communist rally at the coffee house felt like brain whiplash when i rewatched it last fall.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Volcott posted:

I did not get the "daria sabotages her own happiness by being iconoclastic for the sake of iconoclasm" on the first watch because I was also a sullen youth.
It's not subtle either. The end of the first season has the former football star dying and suddenly everyone is pumping Daria for grief counseling and she's all "wtf why am I 'the misery chick' now?"

Then in Season 2 there's a moment at a gifted school where her friend Jodie tears into a privileged snot. Daria goes to her and says "admit it, that felt good." Jodie agrees but correctly points out that Daria's attitude of being incisive all the time makes her miss out on good stuff, and Daria is self-aware and humble enough to say (verbatim) "Look Jodie, I'm too smart and too sensitive to live in a world like ours at a time like this with a sister like mine. Maybe I do miss out on stuff, but this attitude works for me now."

There's that episode in Season 2 where she decides to follow her sister and film her (late 90s camcorder tech) to show the school how shallow she is, and after she gets a golden moment of her sister breaking down about her pores her Mother literally says "Daria this is cruel" and Daria ultimately agrees and recuts the footage so her sister looks a lot more substantive.

And then throughout Season 4 and into 5 we have her entire deal with her first boyfriend, which features Daria screwing up a lot. Like a lot.

Sorry I'm doing a rewatch so all this is very fresh in my mind.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

That episode where Daria leads an anti-communist rally at the coffee house felt like brain whiplash when i rewatched it last fall.
Ok I clearly haven't gotten to this one. Which one was this? The late 90s dissonance of the show sometimes gets infuriating and this sounds like a good time.

Relevant video that got me back into checking out Daria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shSLPcp4C18

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Ok I clearly haven't gotten to this one. Which one was this? The late 90s dissonance of the show sometimes gets infuriating and this sounds like a good time.
Cafe Disaffecto

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

mind the walrus posted:

Honestly, the entire show kinda blurs into one episode for me. It was a poetry thing at the coffee house, she goes on a very right wing, anti communist rant, and a riot happens?
I tried finding it on youtube and now my recommendations are toast for the next year, minimum.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Honestly, the entire show kinda blurs into one episode for me. It was a poetry thing at the coffee house, she goes on a very right wing, anti communist rant, and a riot happens?

that’s pretty Mike Judge of her, not gonna lie

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh yeah that's literally the fourth episode. Not a surprise it's rough af. I looked it up to see if the credited writer was some weird one-off or someone who dropped off the series, but it's the guy credited as one of the creators and has writing credits on most of the best episodes. Interesting. He also wrote/writes a ton for Stephen Colbert, both the Report and the Late Show. That feels relevant.

Related-- anyone notice that Daria's voice actress dropped off the face of the earth after the show? I googled around to see if she worked much after, and she basically vanishes after 2002.

-------------------------------------

E: Ok watched the episode. Credit for half-remembering something nearly 25 years after airing, but it's very blatantly not anti-Communist. Daria is forced to participate in a reading and says she has nothing, Jane tells her to read something that dullards like Kevin/Britany would drink up "like an elixir." Here's what Daria reads-- we don't see her deciding to choose this, we're not sure if it's her own words or just some airport broiler, but based on the entire rest of the series it's not unreasonable to think she was plagarizing:

quote:

Mr. O'Neill - Now, speaking of raw emotions, it's my pleasure to introduce one of Lawndale High's most gifted writers: Daria Morgendorffer.

(Daria walks up on stage and reads from sheaf of papers)

Daria - Thank you. Tonight I'd like to read a new story I've written entitled, "Where The Future Takes Us".

Brittany (VO) - You insensitive jerk!

(sound of breaking glass)

Kevin (VO) - Ow!

Daria - As students standing at the dawn of a brand new century, we face certain choices. How do we prepare for the future? Melody Powers knew how she was going to prepare, as she checked the fit one more time on her tooled leather shoulder holster. She thought about all the communists she would be taking out tonight.

(view of bored crowd becoming interested)

Daria - Melody harbored no illusions about unilaterally stemming the resurging red tide. "But," she reflected with a grim smile, "what special agent could resist the opportunity to fill a few Bolshevik cemeteries?"

(view of Mr. O'Neill at the stage wing, looking shocked, worried or frightened)

(time passes; fade back to Daria on stage)

Daria - As Melody sun-bathed on the Rio beach, she looked back upon the past few days with a certain quiet satisfaction: twelve dead Russians, five dead Chinese, three or four dead Cubans. The world was once again safe for democracy, she reflected while watching Tonio's exquisite chest rise and fall with his light snoring.

(brief view of Brittany and Kevin at a table; Brittany is very attentive to story, Kevin has a black eye)

Daria - Safe for democracy, or almost safe. Melody brushed some errant grains of sand off her fingers, tied her top back on, and reached into her beach bag. Tonio heard nothing, and that was a pity, because he would never hear anything again. "So long, Tonio," she thought as she calmly stood up. "I could have loved you, if you weren't as red as the blood stain now spreading across the sand."

(Mr. O'Neill hides face in hands)

Daria - Melody walked calmly away toward the hotel. There'd be a message there from HQ, no doubt. She hoped she had time to shower.

(the audience is silent for a moment; then, Kevin jumps up and cheers, followed by the rest of the audience)

(at the Morgendorffer house)

(Daria, Jake, and Quinn are seated at the kitchen table for breakfast; Jake is reading from a newspaper)

Jake - "Café Lawndale closed until further notice." Isn't that the coffeehouse you were working for?

Daria - Yeah, but I already got my extra credit. They can't take it away now.

Jake - "School authorities have decided to close Lawndale's new young adult coffeehouse after its opening night somehow turned into an anti-communist rally. 'Some unscheduled propagandizing went on and the students reacted a little too favorably,' explained coffeehouse director Timothy O'Neill, a teacher at Lawndale High."

Helen - (enters) Breakfast meeting at the Royalton. (leaves)

Daria - But you haven't even tasted my soufflé.

Jake - "Following a reading of some right-wing literature, several members of the football marched down North Avenue, intending to stone the Russian Embassy. Of course, there are no embassies in Lawndale." Wow! Did you girls know anything about this?

Quinn - I wasn't there. I had a real date.

Jake - "'Teens are impressionable,' O'Neill said, 'and the last thing we want is to build a base of operations for political extremists.'" Daria, did you have any idea we had these kinds of radicals here in town?

Daria - No, but we've got to maintain constant vigilance against those who'd manipulate us into taking actions we'd never take on our own.

Jake - I'll say!

(Daria hums "Pop Goes the Weasel")

Emphasis mine.

Basically it seems like it's lovely writing for not being 100% clear if Daria is taking the piss until after-the-fact, but given the immense body of contextual evidence I'd say it's a safe read that she was just manipulating the crowd to get out of having to do any more work at the coffee house, and not an actual endorsement from the writers on anti-communist thinking.

It doesn't really work. It's all show until the actual incident, at which point it becomes all tell. It's a bit too Simpsons/South Park in scale for a show that mostly remained very grounded, and would only ever parse in the relative benign geopolitics of the US in the late 90s (and even then just barely), but again literally the fourth episode so they were probably figuring out how far they could push the conceit of this cynical girl taking the piss out of everything around her.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Mar 3, 2021

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

twistedmentat posted:

I was not expecting the Anfield Rap to pop up here, of all places

Novelty football songs are pretty peak UK 90s

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Slaps top

This baby can seat so many preteens

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Sir Lemming posted:

He's totally right about those '90s drum sounds, they were the best.

They’re great but the GOAT will always be

https://youtu.be/i0sWBa8wKKk

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Two Owls posted:

I was not expecting the Anfield Rap to pop up here, of all places

Novelty football songs are pretty peak UK 90s

Phone posting but
Do it for England!
ING-GER-LAND!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

twistedmentat posted:

Phone posting but
Do it for England!
ING-GER-LAND!

My brain did not read that the way you wrote it when I opened the thread

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Heath posted:

My brain did not read that the way you wrote it when I opened the thread

OOoh I just realized what that looks like at a glance.

But now i'm home I can post the actual video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re4aDJL3heA
I heard that the reason this was a big song was because it was one of the few years England had a chance at the World Cup?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_PS05ebm3s

Listen to the opening seconds of this and wonder why tf they didn't sue The Killers.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

mind the walrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_PS05ebm3s

Listen to the opening seconds of this and wonder why tf they didn't sue The Killers.

if you want stacks on stacks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHj_a78UjJo

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

OOoh I just realized what that looks like at a glance.

But now i'm home I can post the actual video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re4aDJL3heA
I heard that the reason this was a big song was because it was one of the few years England had a chance at the World Cup?

Oh man. "World In Motion" ...

Weird that Hooky is most definitely absent from that video. Not sure who they guy clowning behind Barnes is, but I forgot the beginning that track sounds like remixed *[Electronic]*. They went poppy as gently caress on that one for sure, and their next single would be, in my opinion, the last truly GREAT New Order cut.

That was for the 90 World Cup, and they made it to 3rd place. Barney looks super young in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

hatelull posted:

Oh man. "World In Motion" ...

Weird that Hooky is most definitely absent from that video. Not sure who they guy clowning behind Barnes is, but I forgot the beginning that track sounds like remixed *[Electronic]*. They went poppy as gently caress on that one for sure, and their next single would be, in my opinion, the last truly GREAT New Order cut.

That was for the 90 World Cup, and they made it to 3rd place. Barney looks super young in that.

Yea, and one of the few times during New Order that he has black hair.

I though Hooky was in the video? There's a guy who looks just like him with the footballers.

Also Electronic was fantastic
https://youtu.be/AXWZrHke8Hw
https://youtu.be/tUTJCIPsWwE
https://youtu.be/31Q-0fbJla4