Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Rarity posted:

Gavok you forgot to mention the greatest moment in Tough Enough history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Runl2i7pV-s

Huge slam on Melina out of nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I really enjoyed watching Pro wrestling when I was a child, but as an adult, I find the stuff that goes on behind the scenes is 1000% more interesting than anything they present on TV.

Like Jim Cornette is a loving fossil and bitches way too much about the current product, but he's been around forever and knows a bunch of stuff and isn't afraid to just talk poo poo all day. I love hearing about the drama that went on back stage of decades past. I can't do his podcasts but his youtube clips are good.

I especially love wrestling podcasts that do deep dives on old shows, like New Generation Project and The Lapsed Fan. I want my podcast episodes to be longer than the ppv they're reviewing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

oh dope posted:

I really enjoyed watching Pro wrestling when I was a child, but as an adult, I find the stuff that goes on behind the scenes is 1000% more interesting than anything they present on TV.

You should check out Dark Side of the Ring, it's a documentary series Vice makes which does deep dives into the hosed up backstage stuff in wrestling. It's got a great variety between covering big stories you've heard about (Benoit, Owen) and things that less well known but which are loving nuts (Dino Bravo getting murdered by gangsters, UWF's Herb Abrams insane coke binges). Jim Cornette is one of the talking heads along with the likes of Jericho, Foley and Russo. They've done two seasons with a third on the way.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I very much enjoy pro wrestling but I do not give a hoot about its oral history. Bunch of scumfucks acting like scumfucks, so what?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
It's just the guy version of soap operas OP, there's no way to ever understand why anyone likes that trash but it will definitely never go away so best to just let it go friend.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Royal Updog posted:

Bunch of scumfucks acting like scumfucks, so what?

A lot of it can be really entertaining in a schadenfreude way. Like the time Jeff Hardy was so into drugs that WWE wanted nothing to do with him, so TNA signed him, only to be SHOCKED when he showed up at a PPV main event high out of his mind. Or how nearly everyone involved in AEW got to that point due to WWE's hubris. Or, really, the entire WWE career of Lars Sullivan.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

Royal Updog posted:

I very much enjoy pro wrestling but I do not give a hoot about its oral history. Bunch of scumfucks acting like scumfucks, so what?

A lot of it has to do with the person doing the oralling, but even if that isn't that good, it's still better than listening to Michael Cole trying to make a "superman punch" sound exciting

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I miss the Lucha Underground. It had good movie feel for the segments with a real actor as the GM.
It had a lot of good wrestlers, like Son of Havoc, Johnny Mundo and Prince Puma.
1 Hour of Lucha underground was just the right amount for the week.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Rarity posted:

You should check out Dark Side of the Ring, it's a documentary series Vice makes which does deep dives into the hosed up backstage stuff in wrestling. It's got a great variety between covering big stories you've heard about (Benoit, Owen) and things that less well known but which are loving nuts (Dino Bravo getting murdered by gangsters, UWF's Herb Abrams insane coke binges). Jim Cornette is one of the talking heads along with the likes of Jericho, Foley and Russo. They've done two seasons with a third on the way.

I really want them to do one on the time Ken Patera and Masa Saito threw rocks through the window of a McDonald's in my hometown and fought the cops in their hotel room.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Modification of Newtonian Dynamics?! Wrestling was wild in the 90s

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Royal Updog posted:

Wrestling was wild in the 90s

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

adhuin posted:

I miss the Lucha Underground. It had good movie feel for the segments with a real actor as the GM.
It had a lot of good wrestlers, like Son of Havoc, Johnny Mundo and Prince Puma.
1 Hour of Lucha underground was just the right amount for the week.

You can see Johnny Mundo and Prince Puma every Monday on WWE Raw :eng101:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Rarity posted:

You can see Johnny Mundo and Prince Puma every Monday on WWE Raw :eng101:

This is barbarism

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Royal Updog posted:

This is barbarism

:haibrow:
I always found WWE:s pace with promos too slow and matches were also slow and took too long.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

WWF was good when it was coked up muscle golem lunatics or USA vs Canada*

*All Europeans were honourary Canadians for this feud

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

Royal Updog posted:

WWF was good when it was coked up muscle golem lunatics or USA vs Canada*

And sometimes Canada is the USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzioCMX4_J4

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Royal Updog posted:

Right. Bret Hart already was my hero before that, so it only makes sense. :canada:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

HOW DID SHE NOT DIE IN EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THESE???

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Sabu of joshi.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bogus Adventure posted:

HOW DID SHE NOT DIE IN EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THESE???

Toyotas are well known for their ability to take a lot of punishment and keep going.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Is this Necrobutcher?

Necrobutcher fukkin kicks rear end

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

verbal enema posted:

Is this Necrobutcher?

Necrobutcher fukkin kicks rear end

Yup!

he did kick rear end, now hes a mega CHUD

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Yup!

he did kick rear end, now hes a mega CHUD

here he is getting hit in the head again

https://twitter.com/bigboysplaywcw/status/1367092868352004102?s=20

edit: this is 2 posts now?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I just can't handle the extra-violent/bloody hardcore matches :barf:

20+ years ago they didn't bother me at all, but now they just feel really depressing, especially in these tiny organizations, knowing these guys are scarring and mutilating themselves just so they have the money to buy a pack of cigarettes and bottle of whiskey (or meth) and maybe a one-in-a-million shot of getting to the big time.

Sure, I'm generalizing a bit, but also I bet it's true more than it's wrong

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bonzo posted:

Unpopular opinion but I hate HHH and think the only reason he got anywhere is that he slept his way into the inner circle.

I loved DX, and I even had a DX shirt, but after I learned about what he did to Chyna, he was on my shitlist forever. He & Stephanie McMahon can go gently caress themselves.

Honestly, every female wrestler was my favorite for obvious reasons (I'm sure there's an exception, but I can't think of any in '90s/'00s WCW, WWF, or ECW), so any time they were wronged in any way, I took it extra personally.

Eclipse12 posted:

ECW introduced me to metal, so I'll always have a soft spot for it even though adult-me understands how hosed up it was now. Speaking of which, I feel like I remember Paul Heyman doing some hosed up poo poo, but I don't remember any details whatsoever.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Eclipse12 posted:

20+ years ago they didn't bother me at all, but now they just feel really depressing, especially in these tiny organizations, knowing these guys are scarring and mutilating themselves just so they have the money to buy a pack of cigarettes and bottle of whiskey (or meth) and maybe a one-in-a-million shot of getting to the big time.

Death matches are generally considered safer than normal wrestling because it's all surface level. Yes it hurts like a bitch but you're far less likely to do long-term injury to your body

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Eclipse12 posted:

:same: I don't think I could ever handle them. When I was in high school, some kids brought in a tape of one of those wrestling matches from Japan with the fluorescent lightbulbs, barbed wire, and electrified/explosive bits. They played it in one of the teacher's rooms where we could eat lunch. As a sheltered kid who had never seen anything like it, it was emotionally scarring to see.

Rarity posted:

Death matches are generally considered safer than normal wrestling because it's all surface level. Yes it hurts like a bitch but you're far less likely to do long-term injury to your body

That may be true, but I'd prefer to see dumb stunts like this:

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Rarity posted:

I mean I'm no wrestling expert but I feel like taking chair shots like in that clip is a recipe for CTE.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

That may be true, but I'd prefer to see dumb stunts like this:

Oh, hey, it's me giving my cat his medicine every night.

What IS Foley doing there?

Rarity posted:

I dunno, having 90% of your head be covered in scars seems like it counts as long-term injury.

Also, wasn't there that clip a page or so ago with a guy getting nailed in the skull by some black piece of consumer electronics (VCR?)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Eclipse12 posted:

He's supposed to be jamming his fingers into the soft part of the jaw, under the tongue.

Fun fact: that hold was invented by the real life inspiration of the Fugitive. He couldn't go back to practicing medicine due to all the scandal, so he got into wrestling and used his anatomical knowledge to come up with that move.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I loved DX, and I even had a DX shirt, but after I learned about what he did to Chyna, he was on my shitlist forever. He & Stephanie McMahon can go gently caress themselves.

Same here. I had just gotten back into wrestling when the Attitude Era started and was and Shawn Michaels mark anyway (until the screw job) and could just never get into HHH.

There are three things in wrestling I'll never forget seeing.

1. Some of you would have never seen this due to time and region but Lawler was introduced, balls first, into a ring post by (I can't remember now) and had to be hospitalized. IRL he was having a vasectomy reversed.

2. Hell in the Cell. Seeing Foley fall into the announcer's table and taking 20 minutes to get back up, I was sure he'd never walk again. And later in the match when he falls through the top of the cage and the doctor rushes in to check on him, I was sure that was it.

3. Mae Young exposing her "breasts" at Royal Rumble 2000.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 3, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Eclipse12 posted:

Oh, hey, it's me giving my cat his medicine every night.

It's the Mandible Claw!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The Rock and Sock Connection really should have last more than just a few weeks. The promos for that were incredible.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bonzo posted:

The Rock and Sock Connection really should have last more than just a few weeks. The promos for that were incredible.

They really were one of the greatest tag teams put together. Watching them on Smackdown is what got me back into wrestling.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i think there was a "buried alive" Rock/Sock vs. Undertaker/Tall Paul match where Sock took an absolutely ludicrous hip destroying bump onto the burial mound after Big Paul yeeted him off the stage

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's the Mandible Claw!

:doh:

Duh. I swear, I used to watch this stuff! But 20+ years later, everything is just hazy and vaguely memorable, or I have perfect clarity on some things and others are just... gone.

Except Mankind getting thrown off the cell. Literally unforgettable. Saw that poo poo live on PPV and it blew my mind (it blew ALL of our minds)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Royal Updog posted:

i think there was a "buried alive" Rock/Sock vs. Undertaker/Tall Paul match where Sock took an absolutely ludicrous hip destroying bump onto the burial mound after Big Paul yeeted him off the stage

Mick Foley is a saint, and I'm just glad he's still alive.

Eclipse12 posted:

:doh:

Duh. I swear, I used to watch this stuff! But 20+ years later, everything is just hazy and vaguely memorable, or I have perfect clarity on some things and others are just... gone.

Except Mankind getting thrown off the cell. Literally unforgettable. Saw that poo poo live on PPV and it blew my mind (it blew ALL of our minds)

Especially after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Mrs. Dash posted:

I mean I'm no wrestling expert but I feel like taking chair shots like in that clip is a recipe for CTE.

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Mick Foley (of above gifs fame) told the story of his original forced retirement on one of the Austin podcasts, where he was given a short-term memory test by a WWE doctor for some reason or another and failed so badly that he realised during the test that he was failing and immediately booked his own independent medical consult. The dude asked him as a routine question how many times Foley had been hit hard enough to see stars, and Foley replied that there was a period where he did that every night or he didn't think the fans were getting their money's worth. There's another story in his book where he has Vader powerbomb him on a concrete floor because he wanted an excuse to be off TV for a week and hosed up his back in the process. For a smart man, he was very dumb.

For what it's worth, most mainstream companies won't do chairshots to head at all since the Benoit murders and the discovery that his brain resembled that of an Alzheimer's patient. However, people who wrestle barefoot in broken glass aren't part of that.